Letter to Jeff Jacobs after Twitter | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Letter to Jeff Jacobs after Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm 37 years old. Who the hell want's to see me in X-lot or at Teds?

If anything needs to change, it's student transportation. They need to add buses and give students more options for arrival and departure.

Great line.

I've been called a liar for this in the past, but I trust my eyes over some anonymous poster on the internet. The students are no different than other fans in the stadium and routinely leave near the end of the third quarter, even in close games, except for big games. The difference is most of them are bussed in, so the school has some control over when they leave.

The school needs to find a way to keep the students there.

1) Get the state to put pressure on the wireless carriers to upgrade the service in the stadium. Most people under 50 are connected. Most under 40 are connected all the time. Most under 30 don't want to spend 30 minutes without their phone and social networks. 18-22 year-olds do not want to spend 3 hours with very limited service.

2) Give out freebies at the end of the game. Want a free burrito at Moe's? Free 6" from Subway? Or something else, get creative. Not drawings at a chance to win, but something guaranteed. Give them out after the final whistle at the gates. Give the students wristbands when they get on the bus at school, on the way out everyone with a wristband gets their "prize".

3) Start featuring students at the game on their Instagram/Facebook pages. Pictures of kids at the games posted, not just the athletes.

Reaction Score
So you're saying that 25,000 people will descend on the bookstore and tour the Chem building after every game?

I spent the better part of four years in Storrs and, not counting Christmas gifts for my parents during my freshman year, the amount of apparel I purchased at the Co-op amounted to exactly one polo shirt, a sweat shirt and two T-shirts. Whatever apparel I've purchased since '99 has been either on-line, Bobs' Store, or Bed, Bath & Beyond, where the price is dramatically reduced from the Co-op. I will give credence to this idea for one game day, probably every two years, but your idea of 25,000 alumni moseying about Crystal Lake 6-7 weekends in the fall, feeding the Canada geese is ludicrous. I'm 37 years old. Who the hell want's to see me in X-lot or at Teds?

People leave the parking lot at Rentschler for a number of reasons and none of them change with an on-campus stadium.
1) First and foremost is that security does not adhere to their own rules. They start kicking fans out before the 2 hour timeline.
2) It's not difficult to get out of the parking lot.
3) People don't necessarily plan for the after game tailgate.
4) Because of reason 2 and 3, it's easy to grab a table at Margarita's for a bite to eat and watch whatever big game is on at 3:30.
5) Finally, I for one would like to see my kid(s) before they go to bed and help out my wife after leaving them all home all day.

Putting a stadium on campus won't change that desire (or order) any and only serves to add another 1/2 hour to both commutes. If anything needs to change, it's student transportation. They need to add buses and give students more options for arrival and departure.
1. I don't think a campus closes so people can hang around as long as they'd like.
3. Some people do. Celebrating a win is a great reason to tailgate!
4. A great reason to avoid Margarita's
6. Remember, it is also subtracting a 1/2 hour commute (given upgrades on 195) for people north of campus. Are you forgetting UCONN is NE's school?

Reaction Score
Great line.

I've been called a liar for this in the past, but I trust my eyes over some anonymous poster on the internet. The students are no different than other fans in the stadium and routinely leave near the end of the third quarter, even in close games, except for big games. The difference is most of them are bussed in, so the school has some control over when they leave.

The school needs to find a way to keep the students there.

1) Get the state to put pressure on the wireless carriers to upgrade the service in the stadium. Most people under 50 are connected. Most under 40 are connected all the time. Most under 30 don't want to spend 30 minutes without their phone and social networks. 18-22 year-olds do not want to spend 3 hours with very limited service.

2) Give out freebies at the end of the game. Want a free burrito at Moe's? Free 6" from Subway? Or something else, get creative. Not drawings at a chance to win, but something guaranteed. Give them out after the final whistle at the gates. Give the students wristbands when they get on the bus at school, on the way out everyone with a wristband gets their "prize".

3) Start featuring students at the game on their Instagram/Facebook pages. Pictures of kids at the games posted, not just the athletes.
"Get creative." Bob Diaco seems to have a great plan. Perhaps a new tradition where the team hangs with the student section for a few minutes after the game and free t-shirts are involved.

Reaction Score
"Get creative." Bob Diaco seems to have a great plan. Perhaps a new tradition where the team hangs with the student section for a few minutes after the game and free t-shirts are involved.

HCBD understands the problem and is trying to address it. That's the good news.

The bad news is, if I understood him correctly, his idea to get the players involved with the student section was to have them enter through the student section. Not immediately before the game, but 1 hour before, when they start their warmups.

If I'm wrong, good. If that's his plan, it's not going to work. The students aren't in the stadium an hour before kickoff. Most aren't in the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff.

Reaction Score
The students aren't in the stadium an hour before kickoff. Most aren't in the stadium 5 minutes before kickoff.
Especially when you can get tickets at the last minute cheaper than you can get a beer inside the stadium.

Reaction Score
6. Remember, it is also subtracting a 1/2 hour commute (given upgrades on 195) for people north of campus. Are you forgetting UCONN is NE's school?

I don't think you can make that argument for several reasons.

1) Even with upgrades, traffic would likely be worse in and out of campus. I don't think people really understand how convenient the Rent is. Not one, but two major Interstates literally within 3 miles. You can head west, take 291 to 91, or 384 to points west. You can head east and take Route 2 east to 91 north or Route 2 west to 91 south. Or you can take the Route 15 connector to 91. 84 East and West are easily accessible. And 84 East to 91 North is easy to get to. No matter what you do at or near campus, you'll never re-create that. Once you're out of the parking lot at the Rent (and 1/2 - 1 mile away from the rent), relatively speaking, traffic is a breeze.

2) You're only reducing time for people west of East Hartford. People in Enfield and Longmeadow area, would still take 91-291-84, and you'd add time. And the potential growth of the fanbase in Fairfield County far exceeds RI, North Attleboro, Foxboro, etc.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
1. I don't think a campus closes so people can hang around as long as they'd like.
3. Some people do. Celebrating a win is a great reason to tailgate!
4. A great reason to avoid Margarita's

So you think widening 195 cures all? What about 275 or 44 (both of which lead directly too the most populous part of the state via 384)? How about North Eagleville, Gurlyville, Separatist, or every other alternative surface street around campus? Is your solution really to cater to the limited number of patrons in Willington and Ashford by only focusing on 195 How about 320. Whenever I went home to MA or back to campus from home, I never too exit 68, when exit 71 shaved ten minutes off the trip.?

Your solution is akin to producing enough gridlock to force people into an unguided tour of campus as a basis for an argument that people want to tour campus.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don't think you can make that argument for several reasons.

1) Even with upgrades, traffic would likely be worse in and out of campus. I don't think people really understand how convenient the Rent is. Not one, but two major Interstates literally within 3 miles. You can head west, take 291 to 91, or 384 to points west. You can head east and take Route 2 east to 91 north or Route 2 west to 91 south. Or you can take the Route 15 connector to 91. 84 East and West are easily accessible. And 84 East to 91 North is easy to get to. No matter what you do at or near campus, you'll never re-create that. Once you're out of the parking lot at the Rent (and 1/2 - 1 mile away from the rent), relatively speaking, traffic is a breeze.

2) You're only reducing time for people west of East Hartford. People in Enfield and Longmeadow area, would still take 91-291-84, and you'd add time. And the potential growth of the fanbase in Fairfield County far exceeds RI, North Attleboro, Foxboro, etc.
And Route 2. Don't forget us down in Middlesex Country.

Reaction Score
I've been to a lot of Michigan games myself (I lived in Ann Arbor for 2 years, 2001-2003) and also PSU games, and 1/4 of these stadiums were filled with students, from field level to the last row. Both stadiums are 110,000 seats so... 25% is 27,500 students.

You guys spent too much time tailgating. No way 25% students at PSU. Maybe they say that was what was sold, but a surprising number of those tickets were resold.

Reaction Score
And Route 2. Don't forget us down in Middles e x Country.
My main point is that regardless of traffic, just about every major college football program has an on-campus stadium. It's a proven recipe. I know E. Hartford is the most convenient and a new on-campus stadium is not coming any time soon. But this fact is one of the drawbacks for UCONN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Michie Stadium is a really bad example. It takes forever to get out, and that's with only 30,000 people and a good portion hanging around to tour the campus after the game.
My main point is that regardless of traffic, just about every major college football program has an on-campus stadium. It's a proven recipe. I know E. Hartford is the most convenient and a new on-campus stadium is not coming any time soon. But this fact is one of the drawbacks for UCONN.
I've never had a problem leaving but I do hang around for a while. 60-90 minutes after a game getting out isn't an issue, at least when I've been there and driving. Coming in I got caught once but I had a conflict so I was coming around kick off and it was a slog. Keep in mind though that they don't do much if any traffic management outside of West Point, so there crowds are entirely managed by the natural feathering of traffic caused by tailgating and walking around the campus. Rutgers is just the opposite. There is no tailgating to speak of, but there is excellent traffic management that empties the stadium pretty efficiently. That's why I use those two examples to show that it can be done. It won't happen in the foreseeable future and the Rent is good place to see a game and decent tailgating experience.

Reaction Score
You guys spent too much time tailgating. No way 25% students at PSU. Maybe they say that was what was sold, but a surprising number of those tickets were resold.

The picture I linked was a mirage I guess.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
A campus stadium is one of the dumbest ideas that gets brought up all the time on the Boneyard.

We have an attendance problem with UConn sports.

We have an infrastructure problem in Storrs for basketball games.

We have a football stadium centrally located and accessible by most highways in the state.

We'd be adding an extra 2-3 hours on to people's drives.

Again, I'd love someone to dispute any of the above and then say how moving to an on campus stadium helps attendance.

I have a group of 12 or so season ticket holders that would decrease to maybe 2 if the stadium was on campus.

The average UConn fan goes for the tailgate party that's easy to get to and stays if it's a name opponent or a good game.

You guys are absolutely lost by even suggesting that an on campus stadium would be successful whatsoever.

Reaction Score
A campus stadium is one of the dumbest ideas that gets brought up all the time on the Boneyard.

We have an attendance problem with UConn sports.

We have an infrastructure problem in Storrs for basketball games.

We have a football stadium centrally located and accessible by most highways in the state.

We'd be adding an extra 2-3 hours on to people's drives.

Again, I'd love someone to dispute any of the above and then say how moving to an on campus stadium helps attendance.

I have a group of 12 or so season ticket holders that would decrease to maybe 2 if the stadium was on campus.

The average UConn fan goes for the tailgate party that's easy to get to and stays if it's a name opponent or a good game.

You guys are absolutely lost by even suggesting that an on campus stadium would be successful whatsoever.
If your points are valid, then the program and the fans have no business being in a power conference.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If your points are valid, then the program and the fans have no business being in a power conference.
I guess UCLA and The "U" don't either. Boston College has the worst parking system I've ever experienced, but Alumni Stadium and Conte Forum are on campus. Therefore they belong.

Why doesn't the school and state kill two birds with one stone? Move the West Hartford Branch to Rentschler Field and build from scratch residence halls, dining halls, and classroom buildings. How do you pay for it? UTC gets naming rights. Where do they get the money? One defense contract pays for it all. Bingo. On-campus stadium. Almost nobody loses...Well Hartford's does, but at least all needed infrastructure is in place.

Pratt - Residence
Whitney - Unused (Whitney is already a dorm and dining hall in Storrs)
Carrier - Dining Hall
United - Library
Technologies - Computer lab
Corporation - Business School
Sikosky - Skywalk between Pratt and Carrier
Otis - Engineering Building

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Why doesn't the school and state kill two birds with one stone? Move the West Hartford Branch to Rentschler Field and build from scratch residence halls, dining halls, and classroom buildings. How do you pay for it? UTC gets naming rights. Where do they get the money? One defense contract pays for it all. Bingo. On-campus stadium. Almost nobody loses...Well Hartford's does, but at least all needed infrastructure is in place.

Are you joking?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

So, in your estimation because UConn won't make a move that would cut into attendance we don't deserve to be P5?

Attendance is an issue even with the legendary programs, that's not specific to UConn.

I mean, I made my case why it won't work, what's yours why it will?

Reaction Score
So, in your estimation because UConn won't make a move that would cut into attendance we don't deserve to be P5?

Attendance is an issue even with the legendary programs, that's not specific to UConn.

I mean, I made my case why it won't work, what's yours why it will?
Fans who want to be in a P5 conference should want football enough to make the drive, stay for the game, and support the team no matter where it plays. If fans are not dedicated to the team and the sport, they are not, by definition, P5-worthy. That is a clear problem in CT.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Fans who want to be in a P5 conference should want football enough to make the drive, stay for the game, and support the team no matter where it plays. If fans are not dedicated to the team and the sport, they are not, by definition, P5-worthy. That is a clear problem in CT.

Is that an arguement for or against an off-campus stadium?

Reaction Score
Is that an arguement for or against an off-campus stadium?
Fans like the convenience of the E. Hartford location. P5 want the campus stadium. See the disconnect? Just because the fans want to be in a P5 conference doesn't mean they deserve it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Fans like the convenience of the E. Hartford location. P5 want the campus stadium. See the disconnect? Just because the fans want to be in a P5 conference doesn't mean they deserve it.

Why would the other teams in a conference care that you play a half hour from campus?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Someone should tell the ACC Pitt plays off campus and I'll let you alert the big 10 that at Rutgers games you have to take shuttle buses from different Rutgers campuses to get to the games.

• To recap, you're stance: P5 wants in campus stadiums, even though it'd bring less attendance, but that if we can't bring fans to the games we don't deserve it anyways. Got it.

Reaction Score
Someone should tell the ACC Pitt plays off campus and I'll let you alert the big 10 that at Rutgers games you have to take shuttle buses from different Rutgers campuses to get to the games.

• To recap, you're stance: P5 wants in campus stadiums, even though it'd bring less attendance, but that if we can't bring fans to the games we don't deserve it anyways. Got it.
This isn't rocket science folks. The ideal candidate can put 70,000 people in the seats for an entire game. If your argument against a campus stadium is that fewer people will attend, then that is clearly not a program a P5 conference wants. They want programs with fans who WANT to watch, not just watch out of convenience. What is so difficult to comprehend? As far as being on campus, go ask someone in the SEC office why that is important. By the way, you think a program that puts 100,000 people in the seats is located where most fans have a 1/2 hour drive? Yes, some colleges play in pro stadiums, but what makes people think that UCONN, a program new to 1-A or BCS, can shirk all tradition and be successful over 30 minutes away from campus? I didn't invent the rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom