Letter to Jeff Jacobs after Twitter | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Letter to Jeff Jacobs after Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I graduated from UCONN in 1982, the ceremony was held in the Fieldhouse. Maybe some of your fathers told you about the Fieldhouse. Anyway, the way money is thrown around on this board is scary.

UCONN2000 (maybe you have some bonds) an initiative which revamped part of campus, and rebuilt other parts (I believe South Campus was condemned). Looking at UCONN then, and looking at it now is almost surreal.

Back to my point, which is apparently the state legislature is much more liberal spending wise. "Screw The Rent, just build a 75,000 seat stadium on campus".

It took 9 years to build Gampel and the original seating capacity was 8,400. It was completed in 1990, but to 1981 specs. They filled in the corners to raise the seating caapacity.

Now that Gampel is starting to show its age, I read build a bigger arena. It is not that easy. Look at reality, FINALLY they have the new basketball practice facilities up, which is vital to recruiting. Even that took 5 years.

There is some talk/debate about adding 10,000 seats to the Rent------that is a reasonable conversation. Some of the other stuff here regarding money are just not plausible. The Rent is the Rent and put a good product on the field and people will show up. They added extra temporary seats last year for the Michigan game.

We are not Nebraska, PSU, Michigan, Ohio-----we are a basketball first University in an area of the country that historically could not give a rat's rear about college football.

Connecticut is a tad boring and often lacks for stuff to do. There is room for new activities such as big time college football. Deliver a decent product and that stadium will be packed. But you need a team that is not going to lose to Towson State.

I know getting past the PP era will be tough, and there have been many defections. BYU may knock us silly opening game. Persevere and build the product. Throwing money at it does not cure the problems. I was on campus the Dom Perno years, trust me, things can get turned around. Product first and the money will come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Your timeline is off. UConn decided to go to Division 1A in October, 1997. That was a year before the Kraft deal was proposed. Here is the info from Wikipedia:

Transition to Division I-A

Connecticut hired Lew Perkins as its athletic director in 1990. One of Perkins' first projects was to gather facts for a possible upgrade of the football program to Division I-A.[6] Perkins feared that if the university didn't upgrade the football program, that it ran the risk of falling behind other institutions that fielded both football and basketball teams at the highest level. However, UConn was in the middle of a budget deficit and many faculty feared that an upgrade of the football program would result in a loosening of academic standards.[6]

In 1997, the Big East Conference gave the University of Connecticut and Villanova University a December 31 deadline to decide if they were going to upgrade their respective football programs and join the Big East football conference.[7] Villanova, a private institution, declined the invitation. However, in October 1997, the University of Connecticut Board of Trustees overwhelmingly endorsed, by a vote of sixteen to one, the football team's plan to upgrade the program to Division I-A status.[8] Part of the plan would be to build a new stadium, as the current stadium, Memorial Stadium, fell well below the minimum occupancy level of 30,000, as set by the NCAA. Originally, the new stadium was to be built on campus.

UConn would be granted an attendance waiver by the NCAA in order to play its home games at Memorial Stadium in Storrs during the 2000-2002 seasons.
However, the enthusiasm toward the new stadium quickly faded as the estimated expenses rose, the idea of an on-campus stadium was tabled, and the upgrade of the program was put on hold by the Connecticut state legislature.[9] A year later, the stadium issue was rehashed during an attempt to bring the New England Patriots to Hartford, Connecticut. A proposed 70,000 seat, open-air stadium in downtown Hartford would also serve as the home of the Huskies football team.[10] The plans for this stadium also fell through and the Patriots announced that they would remain in Foxboro, Massachusetts. Eventually, a new site emerged across the Connecticut River in East Hartford, when Pratt and Whitney donated their land on the old Rentschler Airfield to the state for purposes of building a football stadium. UConn officially began the upgrade process in January, 1999 by applying to join the Big East football conference.[11] They would receive a special waiver from the NCAA in order to play in Memorial Stadium while Rentschler Field was under construction.[12]
Again, thanks, sincerely. I had it backwards. Absolutely my bad. Hey, thanks for the pic of the brick and mortar side of old Memorial "Stadium". Four years of sneaking booze into that place. The view from the very top was awesome, even without the alcohol (though getting plastered helped).

Reaction Score
You said big time football is big time football.

Syracuse plays in the biggest dump in the country.

TCU...
http://www.tcu360.com/football/2013/10/18757.images-empty-stadium-cause-concern-embarrassment

Pitt attendance last year in Big East:
40, 48, 36, 42, 42, 38. Annouced fantasy numbers.

Syracuse last year in the Big East:
42, 36, 39, 40, 45, 41, 38. Announced fantasy numbers.

You'll need to go back to the drawing board....
I see your point. What would you like me to draw? A picture of East Hartford, CT?
You are comparing apples to oranges, so to speak. I said there are other factors. TCU is in Texas, so it had that going for it, which is nice. Pitt and Syracuse both have history. Carrier Dome is a dump, but they love that dump. Pitt is in Pittsburgh and plays in a great stadium in Pittsburgh. Are you saying, attendance figures aside, The ACC and the Big XII screwed up and should have taken UCONN over those 3 schools? I believe that is your contention. Those schools may not be the biggest of big time football, but they got in for other reasons too. Like I said, UCONN is playing under the new rules and is sub-par in most of the metrics important to the P5. Hence, AAC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I see your point. What would you like me to draw? A picture of East Hartford, CT?
You are comparing apples to oranges, so to speak. I said there are other factors. TCU is in Texas, so it had that going for it, which is nice. Pitt and Syracuse both have history. Carrier Dome is a dump, but they love that dump. Are you saying, attendance figures aside, The ACC and the Big XII screwed up and should have taken UCONN over those 3 schools? I believe that is your contention. Those schools may not be the biggest of big time football, but they got in for other reasons too. Like I said, UCONN is playing under the new rules and is sub-par in most of the metrics the P5 are looking for. Hence, AAC.

Please draw me a picture of East Hartford. Hopefully it will keep you busy and away from keyboard.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Again, let me say that I like the Rent. It's our stadium and we are fortunate to have it. But my experience going to games at other schools, not Nebraska, but Rutgers and Army, leads me to believe the traffic management issues are entirely 'doable.'

Army? It's an incredible nightmare to get out of there. You can only consider that "doable" if by "doable" you mean that the place empties out eventually, usually on the same day.

Reaction Score
Army? It's an incredible nightmare to get out of there. You can only consider that "doable" if by "doable" you mean that the place empties out eventually, usually on the same day.

Rutgers also is a nightmare. I did circles around those 5 campuses one game. You are fine if you are one of their preferred lots; but, if you are taking shuttles and that system ... it is not easy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe some data will help.

There are 17 towns in CT with populations over 50k: 0 are closer to campus than Rentschler.

Of the 50 biggest towns in CT being as generous as possible these are closer to campus:
25 - Groton
26- Norwich
31- Vernon
41- New London
44- Mansfield

UConn's non-student ticket base is easy to guess:
West Hartford
Glastonbury
East Hartford
Wethersfield
Farmington
Rocky Hill
Windsor
Southington
Cheshire
Newington
Bloomfield
New Britain
Simsbury
Manchester

Umm...Manchester is certainly closer to campus than the Rent. Population of 58k in the 2010 census.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Umm...Manchester is certainly closer to campus than the Rent. Population of 58k in the 2010 census.
What?!?!?!? Manchester (by the Sea), MA and Manchester, New Hampshire might be closer to campus, but Manchester CT boarders the town in which Rentschler is located. In what universe is Manchester closer to campus? Please tell me what I'm missing. Did you mistype and mean Mansfield?

Husky25

Reaction Score
I really have no idea what you are talking about anymore. Big time football is big time football and has a certain fan base. If CT does not have that kind of fan base, so be it. They should thusly be very happy with the AAC, or better yet, FCS. It is what it is. Why you insist that fans who are not 100% committed should be given a Power conference team is beyond me.

Apparently one thing holding UCONN back is lower attendance than P5 conferences. We just don't have that type of fan base and the P5 know that.
It may be about time for a, "Thank you for your interest in UConn Athletics," for you. You're not exactly having the best start to a week.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What?!?!?!? Manchester (by the Sea), MA and Manchester, New Hampshire might be closer to campus, but Manchester CT boarders the town in which Rentschler is located. In what universe is Manchester closer to campus? Please tell me what I'm missing. Did you mistype and mean Mansfield?

Well because Storrs is east of Manchester, and Manchester is East of East Hartford. Manchester (where I grew up) is in between Storrs and East Hartford. In fact, I guarantee you that every single person driving from the Rent to Storrs on 84 or 384 goes through Manchester on the way. You might want to consult a map.

Reaction Score
Well because Storrs is east of Manchester, and Manchester is East of East Hartford. Manchester (where I grew up) is in between Storrs and East Hartford. In fact, I guarantee you that every single person driving from the Rent to Storrs on 84 or 384 goes through Manchester on the way. You might want to consult a map.

You lose. I hate Manchester so I purposely drive all the way around it when travelling from the Rent to campus.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I can only assume you are trying to be clever. I don't think you are in this instance, but whatever floats your boat.

It make no difference where you grew up, Manchester is nowhere near "half way" between Storrs and East Hartford. Manchester and East Hartford share a boarder.

Reaction Score
I can only assume you are trying to be clever. I don't think you are in this instance, but whatever floats your boat.

It make no difference where you grew up, Manchester is nowhere near "half way" between Storrs and East Hartford. Manchester and East Hartford share a boarder.
Guys...1 of you is saying that Manchester is closer to Storrs than Rentschler is. The other is saying Manchester is closer to Rentschler than it is to Storrs. Congrats, you are both correct.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Guys...1 of you is saying that Manchester is closer to Storrs than Rentschler is. The other is saying Manchester is closer to Rentschler than it is to Storrs. Congrats, you are both correct.

I was going to rip into HuskyHawk until I re-read his post 6 times, and then figured this fact out as well. I should still rip into him about the fact that Whaler's original post was referring to the distance between each town and East Hartford versus that same town and Storrs. But I'll let someone else handle that...

Reaction Score
UCONN D1A football has become an albatross. Correct me if I am off-base, but was the fact that our esteemed then Gov. Rowland agreed, in principle, with Bob Kraft, another criminal, to build a zillion dollar state-of-the art stadium for the Patriots in Hartford.

And was that a major factor, if not the factor, in UCONN upgrading the football program?

The new stadium was to be a palace for the Patriots to be used by UCONN for a few hours on 5 or 6 Saturday afternoons in the fall.

Then Kraft screwed Rowland (much to the delight of many, many taxpayers) as Kraft was playing Hartford for leverage turning up the heat on to get a new stadium done in Foxboro.

When the deal of Patriots to Hartford blew up in Rowland's face, UCONN was in the process of upgrading it's football status. "The Rent" was more or less a consolation to UCONN, no?

I ask, again, would we even be having this conversation if not for the Patriots and Kraft?

I'm glad I read Fishy's response before I began really working my keyboard. You are too ill-informed to continue. I will address the "albatross" comment.

The bottom line is that UCONN fans, and alumni, and current students, faculty, administration - have no one to blame for our current situation, outside the big boys club, other than our own basketball-centric and ill-informed, misguided leadership in the athletic department, and the university president's office from 2002-2012. We were born into division 1A football with a silver spoon in our mouths, and our basketball oriented leadership spit it out, and we got kicked out of the club. Much like Louisville in the mid 1990s, we will spend the best part of the next decade trying to get back in, and hopefully, we will. The longer that UCONN fans fail to recognize the importance of division 1A football to a university's status nationwide, the longer it will take. I'm 100% certain that our current university leadership does not look at the situation as you do, and does recognize the importance.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
I was going to rip into HuskyHawk until I re-read his post 6 times, and then figured this fact out as well. I should still rip into him about the fact that Whaler's original post was referring to the distance between each town and East Hartford versus that same town and Storrs. But I'll let someone else handle that...
Okay, I get it. So he is trying to be clever. Neither has anything to do with the price of tea in China (i.e. Whaler's post).

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Okay, I get it. So he is trying to be clever. Neither has anything to do with the price of tea in China (i.e. Whaler's post).

Actually, I'm not even sure he's trying to be clever. I think he just screwed up on the reading comprehension. He then saw the one town that is east of East Hartford, and pointed it out...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just one other point. If UCONN were in the B1G, I think playing a B1G schedule would naturally attract bigger crowds and there is a good possibility more people from the Boston area would be coming down. B1G fans in NYC would go to RU while fans in Boston would take the opportunity to see those teams in CT. yeah I think you're probably right.UCONN in the B1G could certainly become a New England draw.
I agree. I think we will eventually be more of a Regional draw. One could argue that that supports the Rent since it has established north/south and east/west major arteries to feed into it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Actually, I'm not even sure he's trying to be clever. I think he just screwed up on the reading comprehension. He then saw the one town that is east of East Hartford, and pointed it out...
Nevermind - pure idiocy.

I was merely pointing out that this "There are 17 towns in CT with populations over 50k: 0 are closer to campus than Rentschler." is factually incorrect as written. Manchester is closer to campus than Rentschler is.

It's not my reading comprehension, it is Whaler's grammar if he instead meant this: "There are 17 towns in CT with populations over 50k: 0 are closer to campus than they are to Rentschler." Even just "to" would have worked.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I was merely pointing out that this "There are 17 towns in CT with populations over 50k: 0 are closer to campus than Rentschler." is factually incorrect as written. Manchester is closer to campus than Rentschler is.

It's not my reading comprehension, it is Whaler's grammar if he instead meant this: "There are 17 towns in CT with populations over 50k: 0 are closer to campus than they are to Rentschler." Even just "to" would have worked.

Oh, so you were trying to be a smart a!! rather than a dumb a!!. Well, we've confirmed one thing....either way, you're an a!!...

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Oh, so you were trying to be a smart a!! rather than a dumb a!!. Well, we've confirmed one thing....either way, you're an a!!...

If you like. I literally read it to mean what it said. Which it turns out was not what he meant. Didn't realize he even meant the other thing until all your replies.

Reaction Score
Ok Ok

I think, before anyone says WE aren't going to qualify and never will qualify for a P5 conference, you have to remember that we have scant history at this level. We actually sold out a helluva lot before we gave PP the whistle. I think that it is entirely possible that we can GROW a fanbase from here. Get up to a 55,000-60,000 mark. Regional? Yes ... and having $25 tickets and a Brand for a New England top public U is great when you consider the fanbase of the Patriots have to shell out $500+ for the cheapest 4 tickets.

This game is not over. We need to be opportunistic and clever. And, I still think minor league baseball is not the what we should throw money at.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

It's a semantic grammatical point - you know damn well what I was talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom