Letter to Jeff Jacobs after Twitter | The Boneyard

Letter to Jeff Jacobs after Twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First, I am a big lover of dynamic mixed use cities. In the Northeast, there are far more misses than hits on this. Leaving out the BIG major league cities, only Providence (IMO) has a solid 24/7 experience of all the mid sized populations. New Haven, I believe, has the chance to significantly rise in the next half decade as they already have the wonderful combination of University/Medical students and jobs plus something special that pushed the restaurant/retail to a higher level. There was an interesting thread on the Boneyard recently contrasting South Norwalk to Stamford; that's another element of this: smaller Northeast locations have organically risen to being really cool. I love Saratoga; but, I'd list Burlington, Portsmouth, Portland and a few others. Even Schenectady is seemingly reaching a good mix.

Hartford, unfortunately, is not making much progress. Like Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Worcester, Springfield, Manchester, Binghamton, Buffalo ... Hartford seemingly cannot get the mix of good solid urban residential matched with a fun downtown atmosphere. And that's where Sports come in. I would argue that the real driver is building around Campus (University or Medical) and that Sports are illusory. Particularly one Minor League park not adjacent to the downtown CBD.

If you see a young professional in scrubs walking to work a few blocks away, I think you are looking at a community that has some good elements to being a dynamic mixed use fun place. It calls for smart placemaking though.

I do not LOVE the idea of new Minor League ballparks all over the Northeast. I do not think they actually boost the ambiance and vitality of a City as you might have intimated. They generally are NOT right at the CBD and do NOT lead to after-hours dining and schmoozing. As an example, there are other obvious things, like the NanoScience Chip Fab world that NYS state is pushing, these things are massively more expensive in 10 years time. Chip Fabs (which New York State has now committed) used to have a total cost of $3B. Now that they are $15B, Intel and Global Foundries (etc) are not going to lead that investment. Too much risk. So, Government, (New York State) is now committing to $45B (3 Chip Fabs in upstate). Minor League ballparks have gone from $10m (Hartford Courant article) to $60m. Of course, no Private owner will take the risk; it's all Government money now. The obvious thought is that Government is going to lose big on this somewhere. These Minor League teams seem to jump every 8-15 years. I don't think this is a good direction when the dollars get that high for construction (Baseball parks aren't easily converted).

There are many in our FanBase that whine about being in this American Athletic Conference; and (anecdotally) I find they also cannot grasp the importance of expansion of Rentschler. In late 2006, when both Louisville (went from 42,000 to 55,000 at a cost of $73m) and Rutgers (went from 41,000 to 52,500 at a cost of $102m), I think WE should all recognize that their Athletic Departments KNEW that one of the admission tickets to the next level of P5 was a Stadium of a certain size. Apparently Jeff Hathaway never got that call. Many CT stakeholders (alums, taxpayers, fans) still don't make the connection. In late 2006, UConn was in solid shape to advance this. The Program (under a strong base created by Randy Edsall) was building nicely and that STADIUM (which includes the structure of its financing) was well-positioned to grow and get us to the next level. I know something about Finance and Public Authorities. It was far easier for our Public Authority to find the money and expand than EITHER Rutgers or Louisville. Read about their path to raising the money. Rutgers did it with paper clips and rubber bands; but, they knew that the B1G was nudging them to this.

You called Rutgers the Sargeant Schulz of College Sports. I think they are actually the Larry Fortensky of Universities. Jim Delany had a Grand Plan. Unfortunately (like John Swofford - that buffoon), he mistakes these Cable TV sets in NJ for what is really significant quality and a wonderful balance of college sports that is UConn. I agree that Warde Manuel has been impressive. He has hired and cultivated and nurtured a number of Programs forward; Rutgers has NONE of this. They are a walking talking PR disaster and a joke in both the Philadelphia and New York papers. Rutgers was there when Liz Taylor was at her rehab lowest. In UConn, the B1G will get an enduring Brand; something of real value. I want our BC friends to recognize that as well when they go back to their Spaziano natural ground.

Storrs? In my real estate and construction background, I do not think Storrs/Mansfield could support a 60,000 seat Stadium. Those roads would be pathetic for that kind of traffic; even if it is only 6/7 games a year. And Gampel (speaking of the New Britain park being obsolete) is reaching a critical decision point. And what about Hockey East?

I have sat with (and I will try to keep this anonymous) a developer who has proposed a massive Sports complex near UConn's Depot campus. New Baseball and Soccer stadiums; and then the capacity for more and better facilities for many men's and women's sports - inclusive of Hockey. What's happening? In finance, there is a wave of Public-Private Partnerships around campuses. The driver (the revenue growth) would be the capacity for the facilities - with expansive more fields and lodging - to attract regional and national sports tournaments in multiple sports. I don't think this calls for an incredible expensive infrastructure re-development. But, it does need the Storrs/Mansfield community and the University to alter its view of what it is and what it is going to be. As the Storrs Center is proving, and my point earlier, the University is a driver for good things in living. Residential and desirability is driven by how effective you mix the components of a community. UConn/Storrs has the basic community anchors to make an exciting residential environment; and that makes the 2020-2040 master-planning exciting. But, there needs to be an attitude buy-in by that town.

Reaction Score
First, I am a big lover of dynamic mixed use cities. In the Northeast, there are far more misses than hits on this. Leaving out the BIG major league cities, only Providence (IMO) has a solid 24/7 experience of all the mid sized populations. New Haven, I believe, has the chance to significantly rise in the next half decade as they already have the wonderful combination of University/Medical students and jobs plus something special that pushed the restaurant/retail to a higher level. There was an interesting thread on the Boneyard recently contrasting South Norwalk to Stamford; that's another element of this: smaller Northeast locations have organically risen to being really cool. I love Saratoga; but, I'd list Burlington, Portsmouth, Portland and a few others. Even Schenectady is seemingly reaching a good mix.

Hartford, unfortunately, is not making much progress. Like Albany, Syracuse, Rochester, Worcester, Springfield, Manchester, Binghamton, Buffalo ... Hartford seemingly cannot get the mix of good solid urban residential matched with a fun downtown atmosphere. And that's where Sports come in. I would argue that the real driver is building around Campus (University or Medical) and that Sports are illusory. Particularly one Minor League park not adjacent to the downtown CBD.

If you see a young professional in scrubs walking to work a few blocks away, I think you are looking at a community that has some good elements to being a dynamic mixed use fun place. It calls for smart placemaking though.

I do not LOVE the idea of new Minor League ballparks all over the Northeast. I do not think they actually boost the ambiance and vitality of a City as you might have intimated. They generally are NOT right at the CBD and do NOT lead to after-hours dining and schmoozing. As an example, there are other obvious things, like the NanoScience Chip Fab world that NYS state is pushing, these things are massively more expensive in 10 years time. Chip Fabs (which New York State has now committed) used to have a total cost of $3B. Now that they are $15B, Intel and Global Foundries (etc) are not going to lead that investment. Too much risk. So, Government, (New York State) is now committing to $45B (3 Chip Fabs in upstate). Minor League ballparks have gone from $10m (Hartford Courant article) to $60m. Of course, no Private owner will take the risk; it's all Government money now. The obvious thought is that Government is going to lose big on this somewhere. These Minor League teams seem to jump every 8-15 years. I don't think this is a good direction when the dollars get that high for construction (Baseball parks aren't easily converted).

There are many in our FanBase that whine about being in this American Athletic Conference; and (anecdotally) I find they also cannot grasp the importance of expansion of Rentschler. In late 2006, when both Louisville (went from 42,000 to 55,000 at a cost of $73m) and Rutgers (went from 41,000 to 52,500 at a cost of $102m), I think WE should all recognize that their Athletic Departments KNEW that one of the admission tickets to the next level of P5 was a Stadium of a certain size. Apparently Jeff Hathaway never got that call. Many CT stakeholders (alums, taxpayers, fans) still don't make the connection. In late 2006, UConn was in solid shape to advance this. The Program (under a strong base created by Randy Edsall) was building nicely and that STADIUM (which includes the structure of its financing) was well-positioned to grow and get us to the next level. I know something about Finance and Public Authorities. It was far easier for our Public Authority to find the money and expand than EITHER Rutgers or Louisville. Read about their path to raising the money. Rutgers did it with paper clips and rubber bands; but, they knew that the B1G was nudging them to this.

You called Rutgers the Sargeant Schulz of College Sports. I think they are actually the Larry Fortensky of Universities. Jim Delany had a Grand Plan. Unfortunately (like John Swofford - that buffoon), he mistakes these Cable TV sets in NJ for what is really significant quality and a wonderful balance of college sports that is UConn. I agree that Warde Manuel has been impressive. He has hired and cultivated and nurtured a number of Programs forward; Rutgers has NONE of this. They are a walking talking PR disaster and a joke in both the Philadelphia and New York papers. Rutgers was there when Liz Taylor was at her rehab lowest. In UConn, the B1G will get an enduring Brand; something of real value. I want our BC friends to recognize that as well when they go back to their Spaziano natural ground.

Storrs? In my real estate and construction background, I do not think Storrs/Mansfield could support a 60,000 seat Stadium. Those roads would be pathetic for that kind of traffic; even if it is only 6/7 games a year. And Gampel (speaking of the New Britain park being obsolete) is reaching a critical decision point. And what about Hockey East?

I have sat with (and I will try to keep this anonymous) a developer who has proposed a massive Sports complex near UConn's Depot campus. New Baseball and Soccer stadiums; and then the capacity for more and better facilities for many men's and women's sports - inclusive of Hockey. What's happening? In finance, there is a wave of Public-Private Partnerships around campuses. The driver (the revenue growth) would be the capacity for the facilities - with expansive more fields and lodging - to attract regional and national sports tournaments in multiple sports. I don't think this calls for an incredible expensive infrastructure re-development. But, it does need the Storrs/Mansfield community and the University to alter its view of what it is and what it is going to be. As the Storrs Center is proving, and my point earlier, the University is a driver for good things in living. Residential and desirability is driven by how effective you mix the components of a community. UConn/Storrs has the basic community anchors to make an exciting residential environment; and that makes the 2020-2040 master-planning exciting. But, there needs to be an attitude buy-in by that town.
If your going to insult someone ...at least make it clear and concise....what the hell is a a Spaziano natural ground?...please don't bother with a multi paragraph on why you hate B.C., I have seen and ready every angle and reason that exists. Thanks.

Reaction Score
If your going to insult someone ...at least make it clear and concise....what the hell is a a Spaziano natural ground?...please don't bother with a multi paragraph on why you hate B.C., I have seen and ready every angle and reason that exists. Thanks.

Miss the point much?

Reaction Score

You have nothing better to do with your day than go to another school's board, read an outstanding, long post about urban development and comment about a throw away one liner that has nothing to do with the discussion? Time for you to get a life.

Reaction Score
You have nothing better to do with your day than go to another school's board, read an outstanding, long post about urban development and comment about a throw away one liner that has nothing to do with the discussion? Time for you to get a life.
Its a legit question......never heard that phrase thrown around......

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good call Pudge. The 600 full time equivilant jobs they are talking up is both a ridiculous amount and already mostly exist 15 minutes away.

Reaction Score
60 million bucks for 10000 seat minor league stadium in htfd seems like a terrible waste of money but what,the hell do i know. I have never been to or plan on attending any rock cat games.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Storrs? In my real estate and construction background, I do not think Storrs/Mansfield could support a 60,000 seat Stadium. Those roads would be pathetic for that kind of traffic; even if it is only 6/7 games a year.

Pudge, I don't want to hijack the thread over one small point but I've seen other schools manage traffic after games by making road one way to get people out efficiently or by just letting people feather their exit time naturally via tailgating and tacking advantage of on campus attractions. Why do you see that as an impossibilty in Storrs?

Reaction Score
Pudge, I don't want to hijack the thread over one small point but I've seen other schools manage traffic after games by making road one way to get people out efficiently or by just letting people feather their exit time naturally via tailgating and tacking advantage of on campus attractions. Why do you see that as an impossibilty in Storrs?
Good point. with an on-campus stadium, there are many reasons to hang around after the game, unlike the Rent where you either tailgate or sit in your car waiting in line. On campus, folks can visit family and friends and meet up after the game. And if there is stuff to do after the game on campus, they also have no reason to leave the game early trying to beat traffic!
I posted on another threat that UGA's large stadium is squeezed in the center of campus so a stadium can really be built anywhere.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Good point. with an on-campus stadium, there are many reasons to hang around after the game, unlike the Rent where you either tailgate or sit in your car waiting in line. On campus, folks can visit family and friends and meet up after the game. And if there is stuff to do after the game on campus, they also have no reason to leave the game early trying to beat traffic!
I posted on another threat that UGA's large stadium is squeezed in the center of campus so a stadium can really be built anywhere.

Maybe this is a dumb question but why can I visit with people after games on campus any differently than I can visit with people off campus?

Couple of other things.

A: UConn cant always get people in and out of Gample so it's fairly easy to predict a huge mess without upgrades.
B: Based on what's around Rentschler clearly there isn't a lot of interest in doing anything but leaving after the game. Now maybe that's a chicken and egg issue, but it's not as though the market is trying to meet a need.

Reaction Score

Skippy, this is not a BC board where 90% of the posts contain d**k jokes. You are in way over your head and broadcasting it to Husky Nation. You brought your pee shooter to a gun fight.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Maybe this is a dumb question but why can I visit with people after games on campus any differently than I can visit with people off campus? Straw man argument - ignored

Couple of other things.

A: UConn cant always get people in and out of Gample so it's fairly easy to predict a huge mess without upgrades. Of course the type of traffic management plan discussed isn't in place currently so I'm not sure how insightful this observation is.
B: Based on what's around Rentschler clearly there isn't a lot of interest in doing anything but leaving after the game. Now maybe that's a chicken and egg issue, but it's not as though the market is trying to meet a need. Straw man argument - ignored

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

There are infrastructure issues it's not as simple as planning.

I know some people have this idea in their head that the campus would be some panacea for the program and completely change the way our fanbase acts. It flies in the face of everything we know about UConn fans. These are people that pour out of XL to miss a few minutes of traffic. Good, bad, indifferent - people aren't getting any more impatient and the day isn't getting longer. So while Saturdays in Storrs sound nice... this school's fanbase just doesn't operate like that.

Reaction Score

I know some people have this idea in their head that the campus would be some panacea for the program and completely change the way our fanbase acts. It flies in the face of everything we know about UConn fans. These are people that pour out of XL to miss a few minutes of traffic. Good, bad, indifferent - people aren't getting any more impatient and the day isn't getting longer. So while Saturdays in Storrs sound nice... this school's fanbase just doesn't operate like that.

Absolutely correct. When Haney predicts one inch of snow, people won't drive to the XL. as a kid, I remember going to the field house in all kinds of bad weather. The fan base will not deal with this. They will say, why go? The game is on SNY.

Reaction Score
Until the state will build, through eminent domain, a short 4-lane highway onto campus, we cannot have a 60K+ stadium on campus.

CL82

Reaction Score

I know some people have this idea in their head that the campus would be some panacea for the program and completely change the way our fanbase acts. It flies in the face of everything we know about UConn fans. These are people that pour out of XL to miss a few minutes of traffic. Good, bad, indifferent - people aren't getting any more impatient and the day isn't getting longer. So while Saturdays in Storrs sound nice... this school's fanbase just doesn't operate like that.Straw man argument - ignored

Well infrastructure improvements is one way to handle game day traffic, but other schools have decided to forgo that expensive option and merely use traffic management to move people out of the stadium. Rutgers and Michie Stadium are two examples that I have given in the past. I can't see why that could not be done in Storrs. Given Pudge's stated expertise as a real estate developer, I was curious as to why he thought that was impractical. That said, it's largely a moot point. The Rent is our home for the foreseeable future. Although it has it's flaws, it's a great place to see a game and decent tailgate location.

Reaction Score
Maybe this is a dumb question but why can I visit with people after games on campus any differently than I can visit with people off campus?

Couple of other things.

A: UConn cant always get people in and out of Gample so it's fairly easy to predict a huge mess without upgrades.
B: Based on what's around Rentschler clearly there isn't a lot of interest in doing anything but leaving after the game. Now maybe that's a chicken and egg issue, but it's not as though the market is trying to meet a need.
A large college campus is a destination in and of itself. The Rent is located on a former airstrip with no other reason for being there other than the game. My point was, friends, family and alumni would have an interest in being on campus after a game for hundreds of reasons, including visiting people they know attending the school, going to the bookstore, checking out the many new buildings, Ted's, etc. If you go to a Penn State game, you will find the fraternity houses packed with students and alumni. No hurry to leave campus. The Rent, people just want to get out of there fast.

CL82

Reaction Score
Until the state will build, through eminent domain, a short 4-lane highway onto campus, we cannot have a 60K+ stadium on campus.
Disagree. That's a pound of cure. It would resolve the issue, of course, but is hardly cost effective to build a 365 day a year solution for a 6 day a year issue.

That said, it's not an issue in the near term.

Reaction Score

I think you could address highway access by making U.S. 44 four lanes to I-384, and Route 195 four lanes to I-84, without having to make them full-fledged interstate highways.

Then, on gamedays (6-7 times a year), you make the four-lane highways 3 in / 1 out before the game, and 3 out / 1 in after the game, just like the Patriots do.

It's about 3 3/4 miles north from Gillette Stadium to I-95, and 4 3/4 miles south to I-495. In Storrs, it's about 7 3/4 miles north to I-84, and about 10 3/4 miles west to I-384.

Some of the existing roadway is four lanes, particularly in the commercial areas of Tolland and Mansfield on Route 195, and some of Coventry on U.S. 44, but there would be improvements and land acquisition required in other places.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
A large college campus is a destination in and of itself. The Rent is located on a former airstrip with no other reason for being there other than the game. My point was, friends, family and alumni would have an interest in being on campus after a game for hundreds of reasons, including visiting people they know attending the school, going to the bookstore, checking out the many new buildings, Ted's, etc. If you go to a Penn State game, you will find the fraternity houses packed with students and alumni. No hurry to leave campus. The Rent, people just want to get out of there fast.

It's not just the fact it's the Rent.

UConn fans want to get out of anywhere fast. Just putting a stadium on campus isn't going to change that.

The fan base isn't better or worse than other fanbases because of it. Just somewhat different.

All you would do in the end is add time to most people's round trip which would only further motivate them to get out of dodge.

Reaction Score

Couple of other things.

Basketball is a whole other sport than football and how it operates around the country. At best you can make a case that UConn fans are not like other types of fans, but I've seen 110,000 fans show up for a game to a town n the middle of nowhere with one lane 10 mile roads off the nearest highway.

When you pack 15,000 students into the stands, that's just going to add to the atmosphere. If you tailgate and get there early, that's going to bring another 10,000 people. Maybe 2,000 show up the night before in hotels or RVs. That gives you 27,000 people. Another 23,000 should not be that hard to do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Basketball is a whole other sport than football and how it operates around the country. At best you can make a case that UConn fans are not like other types of fans, but I've seen 110,000 fans show up for a game to a town n the middle of nowhere with one lane 10 mile roads off the nearest highway.

When you pack 15,000 students into the stands, that's just going to add to the atmosphere. If you tailgate and get there early, that's going to bring another 10,000 people. Maybe 2,000 show up the night before in hotels or RVs. That gives you 27,000 people. Another 23,000 should not be that hard to do.

Can we please stop with other schools and what happens there.

At no time in the foreseeable future are UConn fans going to line up in traffic to go to football games.

They are not buying RVs and travelling around the country.

There is no pent up demand for endless tailgating outside of a few hundred people.

It drives some people crazy but UConn is a rare school who has a huge fanbase of non-alumni.

It takes generations to build what a Nebraska or Penn State have. It's 2014 and the world moves much more quickly than when Penn State and Nebraska fans built those traditions.

I don't know who people thinks are going to these games but people work so hard at getting in and out of them in a timely fashion because they have a ton of to do. Work, home, youth sports, boats, vacation properties, Giants/Pats, Yankees/Red Sox.

I had kids a bit late, but seemingly 90% of my peer group spends their entire weekend running between games and tournaments.

Nebraska has tens of thousands of people who plan their lives around the games. If you haven't built that by now - I don't see how any school anywhere can - there is just way too much competition for people's time.

It's a nice vision this concept of people wondering around campus checking out buildings or wondering around some co-op. It's not something 99% of people have time for or interest in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Just look at it the other way. Why doesn't Clemson just not go crazy and build out their women's basketball program. I've seen 15k people pack a basketball arena for women's games. Shouldn't be too tough to replicate.

Reaction Score
I have four year old and a three year old. Have some tough decisions coming up regarding tickets. I've been at the Rent since day one and attended some games at memorial. The problem as I see it, the young alums don't seem as engaged. It is not uncommon to meet young alumni who have never attended a game at the Rent. Season ticket numbers seem to be going in reverse, I think in part because you can pretty much get tickets anywhere in the stadium at a fraction of the cost without the donation.

We should embrace our CFB experience for what it is, and stop pining for what Nebraska and Penn State have, because as Whaler is alluding to, it is not ingrained in us like that. I'm not one for tailgating, I go for the games. Means I could leave my house in Cheshire at 1030 for a noon game and be in my seat for 1130. I love the convenience of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom