"Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue" | Page 3 | The Boneyard

"Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue"

Reaction Score
Eh, Calhoun does deserve some blame here.

It's not like JC's attitude was "well, I know KO can't run a program, but he'll at least win a championship with my recruits, and that's good enough".

He expected KO to be able to do the job well into the future. He was wrong.
Until the latest string of losses, I felt , meh but resigned to keeping KO around another year, given the circumstances. The Temple blow out was the last straw (and I called it on Twitter, too...just after KO's team gives you hope, they destroy your soul).

But given my support of him, this was a mistake from the getgo. I'm grateful he got us a title: 4 titles puts us in elite company, and it was KO who deserved all that credit. But JC put Warde Manuel in a terrible position. It should have been a nationwide search, not an untested but beloved assistant coach. KO did a good job for a while, and I still think he has what it takes to be a good coach.

But there's too much ill will now. If he had the same record, losing to the same teams, and only a blowout to Villanova, I wouldn't be saying this. But these blowouts are hard to come back from.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
If only KO has shown the same loyalty and dedication to the program the past couple years that the few of you remaining souls think he has.
Pure BS statement - you have no idea what his work habits nor his level of loyalty is - it's these statements that make some folks pissed
Questioning KO's loyalty is beyond ridiculous - because someone isn't 'performing' up to expectations doesn't mean that the person is lacking in loyalty or dedication - question his experience or ability but not the heart or the desire
"you remaining souls" LOL

Reaction Score
Until the latest string of losses, I felt , meh but resigned to keeping KO around another year, given the circumstances. The Temple blow out was the last straw (and I called it on Twitter, too...just after KO's team gives you hope, they destroy your soul).

But given my support of him, this was a mistake from the getgo. I'm grateful he got us a title: 4 titles puts us in elite company, and it was KO who deserved all that credit. But JC put Warde Manuel in a terrible position. It should have been a nationwide search, not an untested but beloved assistant coach. KO did a good job for a while, and I still think he has what it takes to be a good coach.

But there's too much ill will now. If he had the same record, losing to the same teams, and only a blowout to Villanova, I wouldn't be saying this. But these blowouts are hard to come back from.
Great post.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Eh, Calhoun does deserve some blame here.

It's not like JC's attitude was "well, I know KO can't run a program, but he'll at least win a championship with my recruits, and that's good enough".

He expected KO to be able to do the job well into the future. He was wrong.
He predicted the future wrong, but I’m not convinced that he was wrong about Ollie’s potential to be a great coach. Something changed in terms of Ollie’s willingness and/or ability to do what was necessary to grow and adapt in the job.

The job changed a bit along the way and got more challenging; in the past few years he has not risen to the challenge. That’s what stings, because rising to the challenge and working hard previously seemed to be Ollie’s most defining characteristics.

So, if Calhoun got that wrong about Ollie, I don’t think he was alone.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Exactly!

So if anyone on this board was the coach, they would gracefully turn down 6 million dollars that's Guaranteed to them Per Contract when they get fired?

9Cfrqoq.png
You are correct with that.

Another thing to add to the equation:

Most coaches, even those who played for the school they now coach, believe enough in their abilities (even if that belief may be deluded) to think they can do better than someone new in righting the ship so to speak. I imagine that someone who had the belief in himself and determination to turn a start in the Continental Basketball Association into a decade in the NBA has enough belief in himself to think he can fix this.

I'm not saying he should get the chance, only that those thinking he'll say "It's best for the school if I bow out" may be mistaken.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He predicted the future wrong, but I’m not convinced that he was wrong about Ollie’s potential to be a great coach. Something changed in terms of Ollie’s willingness and/or ability to do what was necessary to grow and adapt in the job.

The job changed a bit along the way and got more challenging; in the past few years he has not risen to the challenge. That’s what stings, because rising to the challenge and working hard previously seemed to be Ollie’s most defining characteristics.

So, if Calhoun got that wrong about Ollie, I don’t think he was alone.

Quality post. JC did what he thought was best. And for 2012-14 it truly was. Nobody would have done better those 2 years.

After that, nearly everything seemed to be a struggle. Everything was "off". I hope it all unwinds itself gently and that the future brings us legit hope. That's all I can ask for.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I think we can dispense with the divorce stuff.
I won't dispute that it's your thought and that others likely agree, but I don't count myself among your "we." That's not to offer a pass for poor performance or claim any kind of excuse, but I don't know that it's dispensed with such assurance. Resiliency varies among people, and this may be a deficiency that explains without excusing.

Reaction Score
I won't dispute that it's your thought and that others likely agree, but I don't count myself among your "we." That's not to offer a pass for poor performance or claim any kind of excuse, but I don't know that it's dispensed with such assurance. Resiliency varies among people, and this may be a deficiency that explains without excusing.

I think I understand what you are saying. The word "sullen" comes to mind.

Reaction Score
I’m very happy to hear KO bleeds blue. Once a Husky, always a Husky, and all that fun stuff.

I’d just prefer if he bleeds blue in a position that doesn’t involve making $3 million to torpedo the UConn basketball program.

Reaction Score
Love KO but as some posters have stated, he's in over his head. I don't think it's one single thing but a combination of things.

He gave us a championship and I'll cherish that one as much as all the others.

If he can reel in Larry Brown to be the head coach, I will be happy for KO in being an assistant coach again.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Pure BS statement - you have no idea what his work habits nor his level of loyalty is - it's these statements that make some folks pissed
Questioning KO's loyalty is beyond ridiculous - because someone isn't 'performing' up to expectations doesn't mean that the person is lacking in loyalty or dedication - question his experience or ability but not the heart or the desire
"you remaining souls" LOL

If you only knew, lmao.

Reaction Score
Don't anyone dare lay this blame all on KO.
How about some accountability on the players themselves.
How about improving your game with some old fashion love of the game, working on your weaknesses, making a good attempt at eliminating your bad decisions.
How about listening to the coaches who have been there before and know what it takes to win.
There is no doubt this team is not on the same page as a team, and it is not all on KO.
Does anyone want to be a leader? Does anyone have any emotion "for the team"?
For crying out loud why are these guys not improving over the years....some played better as freshmans.

Reaction Score
I hope Ollie's response to anyone who asks him to accept a reduced buyout is, to quote the big Irishman, "Not one dime!"

Ollie may well bleed blue but he also treated the job as a business when he used his success to leverage better contracts. (As well he should have). If in fact he is guilty of violations that give UConn just cause then UConn should treat this as a business as well and blow him out without paying a dime back.

Business is business and it goes both ways.

Reaction Score
I think we all love Ollie and know he bleeds blue like the rest of us.
I think we all question is his eye for talent. When I see every single boneyarder saying the same thing. Why does he play Onourah and continue to give this guy minutes over the likes of our younger guys. Last night down 24 with 4 minutes to go, rather than bring in Williams or Polley and let them get some playing time, he brings in Onourah. Why is it that everyone on this board can agree that Onourah should not be playing, but Ollie does not. Why does he continue to play the 3 guard lineup? His coaching and eye for talent is very questionable.

Reaction Score
Don't anyone dare lay this blame all on KO.
How about some accountability on the players themselves.
How about improving your game with some old fashion love of the game, working on your weaknesses, making a good attempt at eliminating your bad decisions.
How about listening to the coaches who have been there before and know what it takes to win.
There is no doubt this team is not on the same page as a team, and it is not all on KO.
Does anyone want to be a leader? Does anyone have any emotion "for the team"?
For crying out loud why are these guys not improving over the years....some played better as freshmans.

Like it or not everything you listed here is on KO. 300K or 3mill, he is paid to teach / guide / prod or simply demand a better performance from HIS product.
These are his recruits and his students, if they are not performing, leading, showing emotion or not improving, it's on him. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is a great Husky, but it is time for a change. We can't afford to have this program go down even further. UConn should always welcome Kevin back. No one should forget that he won a championship for us.

This has been a very tough season. I used to get all excited the night before a big game. These days, it is hard even paying attention since I already know we gonna get blown out.

We need a change fast before we lose all the fans.

Reaction Score
No real person will walk away from $10 million. It should be again the law to do that. I will be pi$$ off at one of my colleagues if he decide to return the yr end bonus because it will negatively impact the profession. AROD tried to do that and his peers told him no.

Gold, Jerry. Pure Gold.

Reaction Score
The Temple blow out was the last straw (and I called it on Twitter, too...just after KO's team gives you hope, they destroy your soul).
And I actually kind of called it too and got unfairly (and incorrectly it turns out) lambasted by a few in the "Temple is a "winnable" game" thread a day or two ago. At this juncture, MAYBE outside of USF at home, there really is not a "winnable" game for the rest of the season, sadly. I think it is time to put the kibosh on these "winnable game" threads until Uconn proves they are capable of playing like a halfway decent team against at least decent competition for more than a game (oregon, ucf and smu being outliers, at this point and maybe the only three decent teams this year). Uconn has played good basketball for a full 40 minutes literally 3 times.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lets try something new. I'm going to email Ollie (since i'm blocked on twitter) and let him know I haven't jumped off the boat yet! You do the same!

I've jumped off many times btw

Reaction Score
Or people react differently to life-changing events. I'm not saying his divorce had an effect on his coaching(I have no clue) but to dismiss it completely is short-sighted. I agree he is in over his head though .
Sometimes divorce can be the best thing that could happen to someone. It can be liberating and exhilarating. I suspect that is what happened with KO as his new found freedom allows him to act on his most base desires while he is still young (and he is young!).

Reaction Score
No real person will walk away from $10 million. It should be again the law to do that. I will be pi$$ off at one of my colleagues if he decide to return the yr end bonus because it will negatively impact the profession. AROD tried to do that and his peers told him no.
Perhaps Bonilla style long term pay out. Like 10 mill over 5 or 7 years? Still have hope for lots of reasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom