"Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue" | The Boneyard

"Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue"

Reaction Score

Awesome thread by Penfield

"He led us to the National Championship the following year. The banner will hang at UConn forever. This is how I will choose to remember him"

"It's sad to watch fans turn on a person that was loyal to us for so many years as a player and a coach. I'm not saying that calling for change is wrong or that he deserves even more chances, just that we should be decent to a man who is likely going to lose his dream job"

"It will likely take a while, but I hope some day down the road Ollie will feel welcome on campus, and I hope he will get the same reception all our former players get at when he walks into Gampel Pavilion. Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue just like the rest of us"

This is exactly what I feel and wanted to say, and he did a great job articulating it.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Thanks. Hoping that nothing comes out of this investigation that makes me change how I feel about Ollie. He means well, but it just doesn't seem like he has what it takes. We should remember what he did as a player and that amazing run in 2014.

I hate the thought of the our fan base chasing him out of town with pitchforks and torches. I think we need to keep in mind what is really important in life and just move on.

It's probably best if our next coach doesn't come from the Calhoun lineage. I think it will save a lot of grief if it doesn't work out. This is why it's a bad idea to mix business and family.

Reaction Score
Agree with the OP, but this street runs two ways. KO has said before that money is not as important to him as what’s best for UConn. Spoken like someone who truly bleeds blue.

If he backs that up by working out a mutual parting with a reduced buyout to allow the program to move forward, he will deserve an immense amount of respect for his maturity and willingness to put UConn first.

If, on the other hand, he insists on getting paid every dollar in his contract and essentially chooses to take the program hostage, he should not expect a lot of empathy from UConn fans.

The choice will be Kevin Ollie’s alone.

“But money don’t move me. I played in the NBA. That don’t make a man. . . . But I want the best for UConn.” -Kevin Ollie
NBA? Kevin Ollie Tells Gayle King, 'Not Now ... But Never Say Never'

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I think how KO is remembered by fans is going to depend an awful lot on what comes out about this NCAA investigation, and if we end up getting banned from postseason play.

I agree to a degree. It will depend on what we get accused of. If we were simply playing in the mud with all the other pigs I am going to have a hard time holding it against Ollie who was most likely trying his best to keep us afloat and probably clinging to his job. It will seem to me that we are once again being made an example of by the NCAA. If that is what kills the program I will hold it against the system not Ollie.

If it ends up being something more serious I will have to re-evaluate.

Reaction Score
Gotta let him down gently.

"Kevin! Great to see you, thanks for coming by. Listen, this is very difficult because you're a nice guy. A real, True Blue husky! Heh. But please... you really have to leave now Kevin, you've completely destroyed this program. I frankly don't know that we'll ever recover. No... n-... no Kevin the elevator's out of order, you'll have to take the stairs. You're of course familiar with the stairs. Thank you Kevin, go Huskies!"

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
We don’t hate the guy

We just want him to stop coaching the team. Very badly. Not sure what this alleged lack of decency is that Penfield is alluding to. We have high expectations here, and he is frankly not meeting them. It’s time to move on.

I think tweeting at Ollie to quit or telling him he is killing the program is a bit overkill. I think he probably understands he isn't doing a great job even if he wouldn't admit it publicly.

I think people criticizing everything he says is pretty pointless. Nothing he says will make people happy at this point.

Harassing the Athletic Director is probably unnecessary as well.

Saw some people saying they were going to burn all their Ollie related items... like that will solve the problem

Reaction Score
I think tweeting at Ollie to quit or telling him he is killing the program is a bit overkill. I think he probably understands he isn't doing a great job even if he wouldn't admit it publicly.

I think people criticizing everything he says is pretty pointless. Nothing he says will make people happy at this point.

Harassing the Athletic Director is probably unnecessary as well.

Saw some people saying they were going to burn all their Ollie related items... like that will solve the problem
Trying to change the way people behave towards a failing coach on Twitter is the most quixotic thing I’ve heard in a while

Reaction Score
Agreed.

I'll always have a special place for KO in my heart for 2014, his playing career and everything he's done for the school.

However, it's time for him to go.

Maybe if he really does #bleedblue he'll cut us a deal on that buyout.

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

Awesome thread by Penfield

"He led us to the National Championship the following year. The banner will hang at UConn forever. This is how I will choose to remember him"

"It's sad to watch fans turn on a person that was loyal to us for so many years as a player and a coach. I'm not saying that calling for change is wrong or that he deserves even more chances, just that we should be decent to a man who is likely going to lose his dream job"

"It will likely take a while, but I hope some day down the road Ollie will feel welcome on campus, and I hope he will get the same reception all our former players get at when he walks into Gampel Pavilion. Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue just like the rest of us"

This is exactly what I feel and wanted to say, and he did a great job articulating it.

I am going to withhold a final judgment until I see how graceful or ungraceful his exit is.

Reaction Score
Agree with the OP, but this street runs two ways. KO has said before that money is not as important to him as what’s best for UConn. Spoken like someone who truly bleeds blue.

If he backs that up by working out a mutual parting with a reduced buyout to allow the program to move forward, he will deserve an immense amount of respect for his maturity and willingness to put UConn first.

If, on the other hand, he insists on getting paid every dollar in his contract and essentially chooses to take the program hostage, he should not expect a lot of empathy from UConn fans.

The choice will be Kevin Ollie’s alone.

“But money don’t move me. I played in the NBA. That don’t make a man. . . . But I want the best for UConn.” -Kevin Ollie
NBA? Kevin Ollie Tells Gayle King, 'Not Now ... But Never Say Never'
Great post. Let's see if his actions follow his words.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I agree to a degree. It will depend on what we get accused of. If we were simply playing in the mud with all the other pigs I am going to have a hard time holding it against Ollie who was most likely trying his best to keep us afloat and probably clinging to his job. It will seem to me that we are once again being made an example of by the NCAA. If that is what kills the program I will hold it against the system not Ollie.

If it ends up being something more serious I will have to re-evaluate.

If we get a postseason ban, whether it was for something we deem minor or not, the fanbase is going to absolutely hate Ollie. Two of the worst seasons UConn has had in 30+ years AND a postseason ban on his way out the door? The fanbase won't forgive him for a long, long time if that happens.

Reaction Score
Lets see how things end first.

2014 and his playing days will always remain positive, however.

The rats quote, no, that was not cool.

Reaction Score
I guess I have 2 questions on how I will feel about Ollie after he's not the coach any more.

1). As others mentioned, my feeling on him will depend on what happens from this NCAA investigation.

2). What happened in the last few years after the NC? Fishy keeps insinuating he was lazy and didn't pay attention to his job. If true, why did he get like that? Those articles from last spring did not paint a pretty picture about his relationships inside and outside the program. Did the divorce wreck him? And by the way he was being paid very well to do that job. If he's actually trying and just over his head then I guess I can't be that mad. But it just seems strange that things went down hill so fast. I want to know why that is.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I guess I have 2 questions on how I will feel about Ollie after he's not the coach any more.

1). As others mentioned, my feeling on him will depend on what happens from this NCAA investigation.

2). What happened in the last few years after the NC? Fishy keeps insinuating he was lazy and didn't pay attention to his job. If true, why did he get like that? Those articles from last spring did not paint a pretty picture about his relationships inside and outside the program. Did the divorce wreck him? And by the way he was being paid very well to do that job. If he's actually trying and just over his head then I guess I can't be that mad. But it just seems strange that things went down hill so fast. I want to know why that is.

I think we can dispense with the divorce stuff. Half the country gets divorced, people don't just forget how to do their job afterward. He has more or less always been over his head, he just had the talent on the court to mask the gaps.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom