"Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue" | Page 2 | The Boneyard

"Let's remember that Kevin Ollie #BleedsBlue"

Reaction Score
This is why it's tough to hire a coach who as a former player/a guy you grew up really liking. Remember telling one of my Nets friends how at some point things would go sour with the Nets and Jason Kidd and it might be hard to separate the player my friend grew up idolizing from Kidd the coach. I think this is something we'll all struggle with regarding KO.

I think we can all agree on what KO meant to this program as a player, and during the early part of his tenure. He took over a program with crippling sanctions and had a successful first year, and culminated with a championship the next. However - when you look at everything after that you see a program that has become a shell of itself. Whenever a national media figure is talking about UConn it's usually about how mediocre we've become/how irrelevant we are. That's on KO the coach. KO the coach has led us to some of the lowest of lows in modern UConn basketball history. So while it's easy and nice to say KO's an alum, don't be too hard on him on the way out -- fans are taking it out on KO the coach -- not KO the player or even the man people think he is. It's hard to tell someone who has invested their time and money how to feel about something and I think those who would say the KO era has been a failure have extremely valid points. Again I think it comes to down to people having to view KO the player as different than KO the coach. People aren't turning their back on KO the player that came from across the country, who fought to stay on NBA rosters...we're upset with KO the coach who has led us to a point of an irrelevant, mediocre program under NCAA investigation.

It's a tough balancing act, but I think it's one everyone here struggles with in some capacity.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I think we can dispense with the divorce stuff. Half the country gets divorced, people don't just forget how to do their job afterward. He has more or less always been over his head, he just had the talent on the court to mask the gaps.

Or people react differently to life-changing events. I'm not saying his divorce had an effect on his coaching(I have no clue) but to dismiss it completely is short-sighted. I agree he is in over his head though .

Reaction Score
I think we can dispense with the divorce stuff. Half the country gets divorced, people don't just forget how to do their job afterward. He has more or less always been over his head, he just had the talent on the court to mask the gaps.

I would amend this slightly: when KO only had to focus on a small fraction of the job -- getting tough and coachable guards to develop and run the team -- he was fine.

When he had to manage the entirety of a major D-I program, he was exposed: horrible eye for talent, horrible eye for intangibles, couldn't earn the respect of his players, couldn't teach those players X's and O's, couldn't develop bigs, etc.

In other words, he would have made a great assistant coach, which is exactly what he was before JC foisted him upon the program.

Reaction Score
I would amend this slightly: when KO only had to focus on a small fraction of the job -- getting tough and coachable guards to develop and run the team -- he was fine.

When he had to manage the entirety of a major D-I program, he was exposed: horrible eye for talent, horrible eye for intangibles, couldn't earn the respect of his players, couldn't teach those players X's and O's, couldn't develop bigs, etc.

In other words, he would have made a great assistant coach, which is exactly what he was before JC foisted him upon the program.

Spot on.

Reaction Score
KO will be one of my top 3 favorite players of all time..with his coast to coast layup that beat PC in Providence one of if not my favorite plays of all time. He was a good coach who got his kids to win when they had nothing to play for (APR year) and pushed all the right buttons 4 years ago to win a national title. But he isn't the answer anymore and if this was a P-5 $$ situation he would be gone after this season no questions asked. There is always bitterness over a breakup like this...how long it lasts and to what level is really up to him.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Agree with the OP, but this street runs two ways. KO has said before that money is not as important to him as what’s best for UConn. Spoken like someone who truly bleeds blue.

If he backs that up by working out a mutual parting with a reduced buyout to allow the program to move forward, he will deserve an immense amount of respect for his maturity and willingness to put UConn first.

If, on the other hand, he insists on getting paid every dollar in his contract and essentially chooses to take the program hostage, he should not expect a lot of empathy from UConn fans.

The choice will be Kevin Ollie’s alone.

“But money don’t move me. I played in the NBA. That don’t make a man. . . . But I want the best for UConn.” -Kevin Ollie
NBA? Kevin Ollie Tells Gayle King, 'Not Now ... But Never Say Never'

He’d have to be out of his mind to walk away from six million dollars, regardless of the reason.

Reaction Score
I'm in complete wait mode. I mean it's been embarrassing to be a UConn fan especially this year. If they add to the embarrassment with some bans or losses after this investigation, whatever it is, I can't tell you how my reaction will be. He meant a lot to the program when he played here and when he coached earlier on, but none of that will matter if he forgot where it was he came from as a player. I means mentor wasn't perfect but he was one of the greats and gave us something we all thought we could only dream of in the 70's-80's. If he somehow manages to ruin the structure and it is too far gone to bring back, how could he even step foot back on the campus. I am surely jumping the gun but somehow with all that's going on, I am not expecting good news.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I apologize if anyone felt I was questioning their fandom or anything like that. It was not my intent. We're all going to handle this situation differently.

If you want to say KO failed as a head coach I agree with you. I'm ok being realistic about this. I'm not going to take offense at people speaking the truth.

Ollie has no one to blame but himself when he loses his job. No injury or transfer is an exuse for how bad we have been. The investigation will likely be the final straw, but if he had been winning they would defend him. I think the way he has handled things off the court this season has been less than stellar. His rat comment was stupid, but I'm sure he will regret it someday. He is definitely in bunker mentality mode right now, but I can see where he is coming from. If I were KO I would be very depressed knowing that I screwed up one of the best opportunities I ever had. I feel bad for him even if he did this to himself.

KO isn't the only one who created this situation though. Calhoun forced the schools hand. He wanted this to stay in the family but I don't think that is possible and more and that's partly his fault. It sucks.

Maybe I am defending the indefensible. Maybe I feel empathy for someone that doesn't deserve it. If that is the case so be it. If there is a valid reason, I will readjust my views and move on.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It ain't why, it just is.

I don't begrudge Calhoun for foisting Ollie on the school. I thank him for it because I still credit Ollie with that 2014 National Championship.

Ollie earned the extension he got after that, but he hasn't earned his keep since. I don't know why and I don't much care to know.

I just want to move on.

Reaction Score
It ain't why, it just is.

I don't begrudge Calhoun for foisting Ollie on the school. I thank him for it because I still credit Ollie with that 2014 National Championship.

Ollie earned the extension he got after that, but he hasn't earned his keep since. I don't know why and I don't much care to know.

I just want to move on.

Eh, Calhoun does deserve some blame here.

It's not like JC's attitude was "well, I know KO can't run a program, but he'll at least win a championship with my recruits, and that's good enough".

He expected KO to be able to do the job well into the future. He was wrong.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Is he gonna walk out of his office like he did the Louisville game?

Reaction Score
No real person will walk away from $10 million. It should be again the law to do that. I will be pi$$ off at one of my colleagues if he decide to return the yr end bonus because it will negatively impact the profession. AROD tried to do that and his peers told him no.

Reaction Score
He’d have to be out of his mind to walk away from six million dollars, regardless of the reason.

Exactly!

So if anyone on this board was the coach, they would gracefully turn down 6 million dollars that's Guaranteed to them Per Contract when they get fired?

9Cfrqoq.png

Reaction Score
I apologize if anyone felt I was questioning their fandom or anything like that. It was not my intent. We're all going to handle this situation differently.

If you want to say KO failed as a head coach I agree with you. I'm ok being realistic about this. I'm not going to take offense at people speaking the truth.

Ollie has no one to blame but himself when he loses his job. No injury or transfer is an exuse for how bad we have been. The investigation will likely be the final straw, but if he had been winning they would defend him. I think the way he has handled things off the court this season has been less than stellar. His rat comment was stupid, but I'm sure he will regret it someday. He is definitely in bunker mentality mode right now, but I can see where he is coming from. If I were KO I would be very depressed knowing that I screwed up one of the best opportunities I ever had. I feel bad for him even if he did this to himself.

KO isn't the only one who created this situation though. Calhoun forced the schools hand. He wanted this to stay in the family but I don't think that is possible and more and that's partly his fault. It sucks.

Maybe I am defending the indefensible. Maybe I feel empathy for someone that doesn't deserve it. If that is the case so be it. If there is a valid reason, I will readjust my views and move on.

You are being kind and human under trying circumstances. Commendable.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom