Let's examine the 3-3-5 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Let's examine the 3-3-5

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You do know that #30 (Jordan Swann) is a defensive back, right?
Not sure who he is referring to but it's pretty common to have offensive and defensive players who share a number. We have at least two such cases with Joseph and Hopkins(11) and Carrezola and Williams (15).

Reaction Score
Not sure who he is referring to but it's pretty common to have offensive and defensive players who share a number. We have at least two such cases with Joseph and Hopkins(11) and Carrezola and Williams (15).

There is only one #30 on the roster.

Reaction Score
Crocker probably doesn't know another system, hence why he was at Villanova
Well, I think it is fair to say that he has a history of using it and feels that with FCS caliber players (which is what UConn has in terms of talent) that it produces the best results. Whether that viewpoint comes from an intellectual analysis, experience, or both is probably a moot question.

My view is that if you are gonna make a major departure from what the team the year before already knows, you better have a darned good reason for it because new systems are almost impossible to learn down to the instinct level in one off season. We have seen that time and time again.

At this point I would start edging back to something more traditional because this clearly ain't working and is unlikely to work before half the season is gone. Things certainly can't get any worse in the short term.

Reaction Score
THere is nothing wrong with a 3-3-5 defensive scheme and it's a tactical and strategic sound decision for this football program both short term and long term. We need to focus heavy on recruiting decent lineman, and you need to hit on a lot more decent linemen on the offensive side than you do on the defensive side - and we have a history of producing NFL talent in the defensive backfields for over a decade now - to draw from in recruiting. Short term, we are paper thin on depth, and seem to have a huge gap in depth charts between PP's red shirt seniors and Edsall's freshmen.

It's not schematic problem when you've got a defense that has the LB's and DB's that need to communicate and identify the strong side/weakside formations, and Y,H,TE whatever terminology need to match up in coverages. I saw a lot of pointing and heads turning with our defense pre-snap in what I watched, but based on results it seems like instead of screaming"I got that guy, or "You got that guy" - there was probably a lot of soft questioning: "Who's got that guy? " "Do you have that guy?" That only gets fixed with practice and film and using your voices on the field.

THere is a lot of screaming in football, if you are playing right and fast.

That was a terrible game for the defense yesterday. THe offense didn't do much better. DOesn't matter if you put up 500 yard games if you turn it over on the goal line. Changes everything.

Lots of room to improve.

Got a league game coming up.

Reaction Score
Not just a league game, but a must win league game. A loss to a team like ECU and the Huskies are looking at 2-10 or 1-11 for the year.

All league games are must win.

This is a home game and we need to build up that home field advantage again. Somebody on the defensive side of the ball needs to be the leader and "QB'ing" the defense vocally, pre-snap, typically it's got to be somebody that's standing and has a good view of the entire field and loud enough and knowledgeable enough to make sure everybody is doing their jobs and filling their gaps and got their assignments pre-snap. The D needs to talk to each other in this scheme. We've looked good at times on some run plays filling the gaps and some pass plays, when everything seems lined up properly pre-snap, but when it seems like our D has needed to communicate pre-snap - we fall apart.

Just my observations. If I'm right, it's somethign that gets fixed by practice, film, and using your screaming voices on the field.

That was virtually non-existent yesterday, by what I observed.

Reaction Score
Well, I think it is fair to say that he has a history of using it and feels that with FCS caliber players (which is what UConn has in terms of talent) that it produces the best results. Whether that viewpoint comes from an intellectual analysis, experience, or both is probably a moot question.

My view is that if you are gonna make a major departure from what the team the year before already knows, you better have a darned good reason for it because new systems are almost impossible to learn down to the instinct level in one off season. We have seen that time and time again.

At this point I would start edging back to something more traditional because this clearly ain't working and is unlikely to work before half the season is gone. Things certainly can't get any worse in the short term.

So you would rather we switch schemes yearly?

Reaction Score
Or the actual game...which I watched again this morning.

My bad, it was a long way from section 516 to the field.

Perhaps HCRE should consider Jordan as a tailback.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thread is why you are an idiot.

2 games giving up a lot of yards is NOT GOOD.

But instead of being a rational thinking human being who realizes that new systems take TIME and require a certain skill set to execute.... you jump to the conclusion that the entire scheme is worthless despite plenty of evidence that WHEN EXECUTED WELL, the scheme works just fine.

Abandoning ship after 2 games is an AWFUL idea. Just another variation of your "backup must be better" mantra. Instant gratification, or tear it down. Thank god you are not the coach.
Agree in principal, but is playing the nickel because it is the future even if it is ineffective this year sounds a lot like calling this season just exhibition games.

Reaction Score
Agree in principal, but is playing the nickel because it is the future even if it is ineffective this year sounds a lot like calling this season just exhibition games.
It appears that they may be the case.....again!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well then don't hire Crocker I guess.

Realistically there is no scheme or system by which this defense won't stink.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well then don't hire Crocker I guess.

Realistically there is no scheme or system by which this defense won't stink.
Yeah, that the thing isn't it? There are times when our defenders look they are running through mud.

Still Randy says he's trying to win every game, and I believe him. I have to think he talking to Crocker about being more successful with the guys we have on the field.

Reaction Score
Our delayed blitzes from the second level aren't getting to the QB quickly enough if at all. I'd like to see us crowd the line more and more movement toward the line before the ball is snapped. Maybe this aggressive defense needs to get more aggressive.

Reaction Score
I don't care whether it is the scheme or players not good for the scheme, there is plenty to work with and they better find a scheme that leverages what we do have. I'm sorry but of all things, D was not a major weakness even last year with a fall off. You just can't be giving up 500-600 yards a game. I'd give it one more week before I moved into a base 4-3 or 4-4 traditional scheme where they can put their ears back and play instinctive football.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't care whether it is the scheme or players not good for the scheme, there is plenty to work with and they better find a scheme that leverages what we do have. I'm sorry but of all things, D was not a major weakness even last year with a fall off. You just can't be giving up 500-600 yards a game. I'd give it one more week before I moved into a base 4-3 or 4-4 traditional scheme where they can put their ears back and play instinctive football.

This is the opposite of how the game works.

Either you fire Crocker or you live with the 3-3-5 growing pains.

Make no mistake: if you call for something other than the 3-3-5 you are calling for replacing the defensive coordinator.

Reaction Score
This is the opposite of how the game works.

Either you fire Crocker or you live with the 3-3-5 growing pains.

Make no mistake: if you call for something other than the 3-3-5 you are calling for replacing the defensive coordinator.
Any DC worth his salt has already built in other looks that can convert to your base with personnel changes. If the only looks we have are 3 fronts, then that's malpractice.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Any DC worth his salt has already built in other looks that can convert to your base with personnel changes. If the only looks we have are 3 fronts, then that's malpractice.

Malpractice is the people that left this roster.

Again if you think you can turn this toilet water into wine you'll spend the year angry.

Reaction Score

Again if you think you can turn this toilet water into wine you'll spend the year angry.

Is this team 91 places worse than last year? Because that the numbers of spots the defense has dropped in the defensive ratings.

Really nice calling our kids toilet water. Classy.

Reaction Score
The overall 3-3-5 scheme may work with the right players and lineup/coverage calls, but the way the coaches are calling the individual plays UConn's 3-3-5 is unworkable. Opposition is able to read defensive alignment and call plays that give them huge advantage at point that they attack, be it run or pass.

1. Have yet to see a team that uses 3 man rush that gets any type of push to the QB, just can't be done against talent that is anywhere near equal.
2. UConn's defense front 6 guards a rectangle between the inside of the 2 tackles and about 8-12 yards back with the 3 lineman and 3 LB's. This gives up wide runs and off tackle, there is only contact with RB after breaks clear of LOS and almost always from side or from behind, assuring 5 yard gains.
3. Often 3 or 4 defenders around receiver after catch, none of them close enough to impact plays.
4. Several times noted defenders (usually LB's) drifting around on passing plays guarding no one and yet not rushing passer and as play is halfway over start rushing QB and never even getting across line of scrimmage.
5. Not many DB's can guard WR's one on one when QB under no time pressure.

I had expected to see 6 or 7 guys at LOS with sometimes dropping 3 or 4 back and trying to confuse offense, thought were hiding some sets during HC game. This non aggressive, no disguise, never attack the offense on their side of LOS type defense will not work with a 3-3-5 or any other alignment.

Sometimes stats don't tell the whole story, this game they did.
Virginia 455 yds passing @ 11.4 ypc; 171 yds rushing @ 5.5 ypc; average gain per play 8.8 yards.
Time of possession 1st 3 qtrs. (last qtr was garbage time for Virginia just running out clock) was 17:53 minutes UConn vs. 27:07 for Virginia. Think maybe the 3 down linemen were a little tired and discouraged by end of 3rd qtr.?

Don't want to hear "scared or eye discipline or whatever crap", this was very poor defensive coaching. It's not like just before the game all the defensive players got sick and the coaches had to use Palatine, Whaler, Chief and BusLaw as fill ins. They know who they have and this is the best they can do!

Reaction Score
Is this team 91 places worse than last year? Because that the numbers of spots the defense has dropped in the defensive ratings.

Ranking after week 2 last year to ranking after week 2 this year?

Reaction Score

^Exactly... it's going to take time. We need speed, speed is what we need. And any of you believe that coaches and schemes will make up for the lack of athletisim on this team, must also believe that a 5' 7" Rocky Balboa chased a chicken and learned how to outbox Apollo Creed....pure Hollywood.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Really nice calling our kids toilet water. Classy.

Sorry I'll pretend the roster is good and then every week when they get curbstomped I'll cry for a 5th head coach and 73rd coordinator this decade.

You started this idiotic conversation. Deal with it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom