Let's examine the 3-3-5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Let's examine the 3-3-5

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
The 3-3-5 can cause crazy havoc once you have the right players to fit that system. Keep in mind, these are Diaco's players.

Maybe they just need to wear more colorful pants.

Reaction Score
Calling BS.... PP and BD both inherited rosters where the cupboard was bare. It's been the narrative with each coaching change.
Another couple games like this, my guess is we'll start hearing chirps about why we brought RE back. This fan base has zero patience. And after the last two Diasco's, it's not surprising.
One answer to your question... how many of Diaco's players are starting now? How many? PP had some decent recruiting classes, Diaco had terrible recruiting classes. This is why you are seeing a lot of seniors and freshmen starters with very few in between. My quote is exactly what you are saying, it's going to take some time to build the depth back up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They are simply not fast enough to play this defense, yet. Thats it.

Concur. Every level of defense is slow. Slow off their stances, slow in straight ahead speed and slow changing directions.

Reaction Score
You do know that #30 (Jordan Swann) is a defensive back, right?

I do believe Jordan (30) took more than one snap from O from in the backfield, but he should take more !! Quick and fast and good decision makinf. A star will be born

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Concur. Every level of defense is slow. Slow off their stances, slow in straight ahead speed and slow changing directions.
Levenberry was big loss. He was more capable in coverage too.That lb from Lackawanna? is prototypical of what they are looking for, his film shows all the attributes you listed that we lack. Its going to take a while longer to recover the entire roster. Hope fans can have a couple more years in them.

Reaction Score
UConn was 33rd in the country last year in total defense. I don't think they are any slower this year.

Through two games this year, one versus an FCS opponent, they are 124th out of 129 teams.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The problem with the permanent 3-3-5 is that you scheme against it to exploit two areas, confuse the DBs with motion and unbalanced WR sets and to train your OL to take advantage of the 3 DL format. That said, the other under appreciated aspect of the 3-4-4 or 4-3-4 is that you have a better shot of crowding throwing lanes and putting pressure on the QB.

So far we have not seen the 3-3-5 create one cintilla of 'chaos' and I am not sure it ever will even with the 'right' players.

Crocker needs to get an LB out there that can rush the QB and we need to play more downs in a 3-4 to keep it all honest. You have to see what we look like with Santana out there (and Eli Thomas can't get here fast enough)

Lastly, this is the worst tackling and least willing hit D I ever recall seeing at UConn.

Reaction Score
Last year we couldn't field 4 competent DBs, hence Jamar bouncing between safety and corner. Take out Obi, John Green, Jhavon and what do you get? Trouble. Don't have good DBs. That's why the new staff has recruited about 10 DBs already. Talent is there, hopefully, just not FBS ready yet.

Reaction Score
We simply do not have the LBs for this defense. If I understand the 3-3-5, you need LBs who can run and bring pressure. We simply don't have them.

To my eye we lost a lot of speed in the secondary. Bell got lit up yesterday. Our tackling yesterday was total s@@t.

Other than that, the D is sound.........

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
UConn was 33rd in the country last year in total defense. I don't think they are any slower this year.

Through two games this year, one versus an FCS opponent, they are 124th out of 129 teams.

Do you want Diaco back or something?

Reaction Score
Do you want Diaco back or something?
Will you ever make any sense? So you think that giving up 1,100 yards in two games is great because Diaco is gone? Do you watch the games? You like this defense?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Will you ever make any sense? So you think that giving up 1,100 yards in two games is great because Diaco is gone? Do you watch the games? You like this defense?

So you want Crocker to install a different scheme?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
This thread is why you are an idiot.

2 games giving up a lot of yards is NOT GOOD.

But instead of being a rational thinking human being who realizes that new systems take TIME and require a certain skill set to execute.... you jump to the conclusion that the entire scheme is worthless despite plenty of evidence that WHEN EXECUTED WELL, the scheme works just fine.

Abandoning ship after 2 games is an AWFUL idea. Just another variation of your "backup must be better" mantra. Instant gratification, or tear it down. Thank god you are not the coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

But instead of being a rational thinking human being who realizes that new systems take TIME and require a certain skill set to execute.... you jump to the conclusion that the entire scheme is worthless despite plenty of evidence that WHEN EXECUTED WELL, the scheme works just fine.

Abandoning ship after 2 games is an AWFUL idea. Just another variation of your "backup must be better" mantra. Instant gratification, or tear it down. Thank god you are not the coach.

They would have to fire him. They hired him to implement this system. But ya know - details.

Reaction Score
At one point yesterday we had 3 freshmen dbacks out there. Last year these guys were covering 16 year olds. As to speed, 2 things make players slow. 1 is physical. But the other is uncertainty/having to think about where to be rather than just being there. Not much you can do about the first problem but I am hoping that over time the second corrects itself.

Reaction Score

As we all figured out, Diaco's defensive stats are overstated as he used the offense to control the ball to keep the other team off the field.

End of the day, the defense was slow last year and the 3-3-5 is exposing the weaknesses of the current defensive players on the roster. We had no pass rushers last year and we still don't this year. Our LBs were slow last year and they are still slow this year. And, we lost most of our best DBs from last year. Going into this year, I was more concerned with the defense than the offense due to the change of scheme and our defensive roster.

All that said, I was hoping that the new DC would make some adjustment to his defense this season to play to the players strengths, but he seems to be all in on full scheme change and the initial results aren't good.

Reaction Score

The four best players from that D are not with us. Throw in a scheme change and problems are likely.

And don't forget that our offensive scheme provides for more possessions sir the opposing offense as well.

Reaction Score

Read my original post. I said that "It is still early. Maybe once the kinks are ironed out it will be great. But so far, it is a disaster." I even posted at some alternatives for the awful play.

So by your definition I am a rational thinking human being. But instead of actually reading and reacting to what I wrote, you are acting more confused than our secondary.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As we all figured out, Diaco's defensive stats are overstated as he used the offense to control the ball to keep the other team off the field.

End of the day, the defense was slow last year and the 3-3-5 is exposing the weaknesses of the current defensive players on the roster. We had no pass rushers last year and we still don't this year. Our LBs were slow last year and they are still slow this year. And, we lost most of our best DBs from last year. Going into this year, I was more concerned with the defense than the offense due to the change of scheme and our defensive roster.

All that said, I was hoping that the new DC would make some adjustment to his defense this season to play to the players strengths, but he seems to be all in on full scheme change and the initial results aren't good.
I think most of that that is right on. But I do think Carrezola has proven to be effective getting after the passer.

But during camp, were we told in the press that this would be an attacking defense that used confusion to get pressure and force bad decisions. What we have seen is a timid, passive defense. Exactly the opposite of hat was promised. QBs are sitting in a rocking chair waiting for receivers to get open.

Reaction Score
I do believe Jordan (30) took more than one snap from O from in the backfield, but he should take more !! Quick and fast and good decision makinf. A star will be born
I'm pretty sure he didn't. I think you might be confusing him with Mensah (34).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom