Let's examine the 3-3-5 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Let's examine the 3-3-5

Reaction Score
That's fair. But it has been pretty bad for two games.
It's definitely been bad but if you change the scheme now you are just hampering your future.

Reaction Score
It's definitely been bad but if you change the scheme now you are just hampering your future.
Right, the 3-4 was bad for an entire season last year. They need to stick with the scheme that they think will work and get through the growing pains. It's very clearly a personnel problem, but when they have the right guys in place at least the core of the defense will have be comfortable with the scheme.

Reaction Score
I love people touting our total defense ranking from last year, as if we're going to pretend that our offense sitting on the ball every possession and draining the play clock on every play had nothing to do with it . . .

Our defense was average last year. OK against the run, not good against the pass (yards per completion and attempt were in the bottom third of FBS). From that D we lost our best run stuffing DT, our two best defensive backs, and the fastest LB.

This is a good point, but to be fair, you can't run that much time off the clock when you're going 3 and out nearly every time.

Reaction Score
I think we have a few problems but some of them are exasperated by the fact that we are relying on a number of freshmen in the defensive backfield. At times we had 3-4 playing. They were thinking about where to be rather than just being there. That makes you look slow. We also need a speed rusher in the line. And we probably need to send more people. But those problems won't be fixed over night. I think the coverage issues will improve as the year goes on and the backs get experience and react rather than think. I also wouldn't be surprised to see some changes in scheme next week to try and get more pressure.

Reaction Score
There is no logical reason to completely absolve player skill from the equation, only emotional frustration.
Not suggesting that. Of course players play. Putting them in the best position to be successful is another matter. Not arguing they are the best, but I don't think they are the worst by any stretch.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure there are many things that can get done this year to change the defensive situation. I guess my shortlist would be:

i) Continue to look for a DB that can "quarterback" the defensive set ups. Need a vocal leader on D that can set things up to help minimize the coverage lapses. I have no idea who that person is at this point.
ii) Need more creative QB blitzes. Might need to uncork two or three corner blitzes a game. I would like to see Santana Sterling get some serious reps at LB in the next game.
iii) They have already burned many redshirts. Maybe Tahj Wilson should see some reps at corner for spell Bell in the next game. Maybe Swann gets out there too. I don't think our problems in the secondary are strictly scheme related, we need both better tacklers and faster guys. Of the freshman class, I was of the impression that Brown is maybe the fastest, then Swann, Swenson and Olaniyan. Coyle is suppose to be our fastest sophomore, but so far I haven't really seen it on the field, although his speed on the field thus far may be hampered by having to think rather than just play.

Overall, doesn't seem like there is many things the staff can do to really change it up aside from getting guys like Sterling on the field at LB and some shifting in the secondary, like giving a few series to the next man up behind Bell.

All the DBs on the Roster -
spacer.gif

NO NAME HT/WT POSITION YR/CLASS HOMETOWN HIGH SCHOOL
25 Tyler Coyle 6-1/202 Defensive Back RS FR Windsor, Conn. Windsor
39 Chris Jean-Pierre 5-11/205 Defensive Back RS SO Deep River, Conn., Valley Regional
29 Anthony Watkins 5-10/197 Defensive Back RS JR Fort Meade, Md. Lawrenceville (N.J.)
36 Brayden Brown 6-1/192 Defensive Back FR Cumberland, Md. Fort Hill
41 Marshé Terry 6-4/212 Defensive Back RS SO Columbus, N.J. North Burlington
20 Robert P. King III 6-0/167 Defensive Back FR Philadelphia, Pa. Father Judge
44 Ian Swenson 6-1/197 Defensive Back FR Wilmette, Ill. Loyola Academy
30 Jordan Swann 5-10/180 Defensive Back FR Baltimore, Md. St. Frances Academy
21 Jamar Summers 6-0/190 Defensive Back SR Orange, N.J. Orange
37 Kyle Williams 5-7/170 Defensive Back SO Hamden, Conn. Hamden Hall
31 John Robinson IV 6-2/195 Defensive Back RS SO Englewood, N.J. Dwight Morrow
1 Tre Bell 5-11/175 Defensive Back RS SR Union, N.J. St. Peter's Prep
27 Omar Fortt 6-1/190 Defensive Back FR Stamford, Conn. St. Luke's High School
32 Aaron Garland 5-11/193 Defensive Back RS SO Oak Park, Ill. Fenwick
18 Abiola Olaniyan 6-1/186 Defensive Back FR Woodberry Forest, Va. Woodberry Forest
6 Eddie Hahn 6-3/205 Defensive Back RS FR Port Monmouth, N.J. Red Bank Catholic
14 Tahj Herring-Wilson 6-1/190 Defensive Back RS FR Hartford, Conn. Suffield Academy
Sane comment. It's a little of both. We can't be that slow with that many DBs. Not possible. Agree they are thinking and not playing at full speed. Not enough pressure on QB is a huge issue. I don't think DBs are the answer to bringing pressure other than on occasions. You need bigger guys that can get off blockers on stunts, especially in the interior.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Sane comment. It's a little of both. We can't be that slow with that many DBs. Not possible. Agree they are thinking and not playing at full speed. Not enough pressure on QB is a huge issue. I don't think DBs are the answer to bringing pressure other than on occasions. You need bigger guys that can get off blockers on stunts, especially in the interior.

Hmmm, I don't think we have 'bigger guys' on the current roster. Gonna have to engineer some qb pressure for the remainder of the season some other way.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
We have a pretty good track record at that position. Our track record at corner is not as good, and our track record at safety is not very good at all.

Right. And you made another great point on the BB board when he said that Kwintin Williams wasn't athletic enough for the AAC.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
We've had adequate DT's like Fuller, Martin, Myers, and Campenni, and a couple of stars in Stephen and Reyes (one of whom was recruited as a 225 lb linebacker).

At corner we've produced NFL talent over three separate coaching staffs. Butler, McClain, Branch, Gratz, Wilson, Jones . . . . Our second tier of corners includes guys like Justin Perkins and Jhavon Williams.

Safety hasn't been a position of great strength, but like at DT, we've been adequate (Deleston, Vaughan, Junior, TyMeer Brown) and had a couple of very good players or stars like Adams and Melinfonwu.

Branch was OK too :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom