Lets drop Notre Dame from our schedule | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Lets drop Notre Dame from our schedule

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I can. Listen to Geno's discussion of what's happened to ND this year. It's an aberration. Muffet has proved she can coach (unlike Holly). Do you really think MM will pull an Oklahoma?

A year or two of her (recent) ineffectual coaching
and I wouldn't be surprised if she retired
Or had health issues that forced the same result.

Reaction Score
@oldude ---I suggest this is all "tongue in cheek".
As you suggest ND is down but never ever count Muffet out. Uconn on their not so great years gave ND a run for their money and ND returned the favor. No matter how bad or great Uconn or ND may be--Personally, I enjoy those games. Last year when ND was running hot Chrystn Williams ran the table for 28 points--thrilling.
The 7 win's in a row for ND was frustrating but Uconn won the NC over that team. How great can a head to head team to team relationship be?? The thread is purely Tongue in Cheek

Winning that fourth ("rubber") game with Stewie's breakout performance, remains a favorite replay. No MM dancing that day.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I wonder why Patberg, Boley, Nixon, Patterson et al left Muffett's program?... was it something she said?
There have been some rumblings. Rumors of promises made during recruitment, but not kept. We got the negative comments from Jewel Loyd about being a black student athlete at Notre Dame, and her early departure. The early departure of Jackie Young. The departure of Niele Ivey. Muffet's frustration this year in really coming down hard on the team, and lots of comments about lack of effort and what not.

People talk about ND being back on the upswing, but in the past, they have landed more than their fair share of top 10 and top 5 kids. They missed out on the incoming class. People will rank it high, with 4 top 50 recruits, but their highest rated kid is #23 Maddie Westbeld. I think people over-estimate how good they will be without landing any top 5 kids.

Don't get me wrong - Peoples and Brunelle are a nice pair to build on. Westbeld, Campbell, Marshall and Hayes are all nice players, but not enough to get them in the top 5, and probably not in the top 10. The kid they really wanted, #4 Caitlin Clark, spurned ND and went to Iowa.

I think they now go all in on Miles, #2 in 2021, but if they don't land a top 5 or so kid from that class, I don't see them moving up to challenge top 10 teams any time soon. Not when you have UCONN, Stanford, SC, Mississippi State, Oregon, Oregon State, Maryland, Syracuse, Baylor, and Louisville all getting top 5-10 kids ahead of ND.

Not saying they are dead, but it will be fascinating to see how the loss of Ivey impacts them for the 2022 and 2023 classes - they really need some top 10 talent, not top 30... Just like Tennessee, I'm rooting for them to strike out early and often.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My post wasn’t a comment about Muffet’s coaching ability, it was referring to the level of talent she will have. Not convinced it is Top 20.

Also, I wouldn’t include Muffet in the Geno/Pat category.

Maybe not top 20 - maybe - for one year. Will be top ten almost every year however. Absurd to even consider dropping them.

Reaction Score
Tennessee fell off the Top 10 bandwagon after being there forever. Rutgers was once up there and they fell off too. Notre Dame wasn't going to be there forever the same as N. Carolina, Duke, soon to be Miss. St. Oklahoma and Texas were really good at one time. Once Geno finally packs it in UConn will probably drop and somebody else will take their place. The West Coast seems to be taking over more and more of the top 25 slots while more and more of the traditional East of the Mississippi schools are faltering. It is what it is. the torch gets passed.

Reaction Score
This is a difficult year for ND because their entire starting lineup moved on. But watch, by next year they’ll be back in the top 10.
Exactly. They understand the power of ND applies to all sports.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
1. Now that Notre Dame has fallen off the cliff in terms of winning, currently, 5-8, RPI #96, and 2-5 home record. Its time to drop them from our non conference schedule.

2. When we played them in the Big East, most years we played them 3 times, in other words we played them a lot.

3. There never has been any great relationship between McGraw and Gino.
When Notre Dame was very good, it was good for women's basketball for these teams to keep playing.

4. Both teams got a lot of exposure from these ESPN national tv games.

5. With Notre Dame being terrible, this game becomes meaningless for us, and only aids them in their rebuilding process, which we shouldn't help them with.

If the original post was intended as satire, Well done!

If it was serious, let's take it piece by piece, grumbling, gasping and groaning as we go.

1. The logic doesn't hold up. Schedules are set one or more years in advance of the 'play dates'. Why not drop USF as well? They, too, are struggling a bit at the moment. Traditional rivalries have value, especially when both teams are frequent
fliers with Final Four Airways.

2. So what!?

3. A. Who is this Gino of whom you speak? 3. B. A bit of animosity between coaches and/or teams is good for fan interest.

4. Yes, indeedy.

5. We feast on our fair share of cupcakes. Why do you not object to that? If we inadvertently help ND recover, that is good for WCBB, ness pah? Now, if you want us to drop the vile pumpkin puke orange school after fulfilling our contractual obligation....

Have a fine afternoon and a prosperous new year.

Reaction Score
My post wasn’t a comment about Muffet’s coaching ability, it was referring to the level of talent she will have. Not convinced it is Top 20.

Also, I wouldn’t include Muffet in the Geno/Pat category.
Muffet has a way of working good talent (like Riley/Turner) into better talent.
Muffet by most pundits and people that know more about Wbb than I rank Ms Muffet highly. You, of course and I'll support your views are entitled to your opinion of Muffet or any other coach. That's what we do, we comment and hold views on most WCBB coaches. I hold a slightly different view. I'm not saying I like her attitude or a player here an there on the ND teams but I do think credit goes where credit was earned.

Reaction Score
If rivalry's never changed then Providence and BC would still be important.
We lived and WCBB lived without us playing Tenn for all these past years.
Who are we not playing in the top 5/10 to allow ND still on the schedule?
It should be a privilege to have UConn come to your arena, and ND will not deserve it in the next few years.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
If rivalry's never changed then Providence and BC would still be important.
We lived and WCBB lived without us playing Tenn for all these past years.
Who are we not playing in the top 5/10 to allow ND still on the schedule?
It should be a privilege to have UConn come to your arena, and ND will not deserve it in the next few years.
I look at it this way, keep playing ND until MM says "No Mas", that way when UConn is still playing them and wiping them all over the BB court Geno can tell all those that are thinking of going to ND instead of UConn that do you really want to be that embarrassed after playing us or would you rather be part of the team that wipes them out. Then after MM says 'No Mas" he can say why do you want to go to a University that refuses to play UConn.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Muffet has a way of working good talent (like Riley/Turner) into better talent.
Muffet by most pundits and people that know more about Wbb than I rank Ms Muffet highly. You, of course and I'll support your views are entitled to your opinion of Muffet or any other coach. That's what we do, we comment and hold views on most WCBB coaches. I hold a slightly different view. I'm not saying I like her attitude or a player here an there on the ND teams but I do think credit goes where credit was earned.

Again, not saying Muffet can’t coach. But I don’t think she belongs as one of the cornerstones of WCBB like Pat and Geno. That’s altogether different than not giving her credit. On another note, just read the ND board to see that she’s not exactly covering herself in glory with how she is handling this season.

Reaction Score
Wow. What a great idea. We could replace them with New Hampshire At Laconia, The University of Vermont at Brattleboro or Maine University at Presque Isle. Or, perhaps if those schools are already booked we can play an exhibition with a Nike travel team.

Reaction Score
I was at the last ND game at Gampel--it was a sellout, it was loud and
a great atmosphere. It's not always that way at many of the games.
Let’s think about this in a broader context. ND didn’t want to play in Hockey East with UCONN. ND only wanted to schedule a football series with UCONN if we played our return games in Boston or New York. I say we get our AD to play hardball with ND>. You want to play the premier franchise in women’s basketball, then you need to schedule us in Football,

Reaction Score
Now that Notre Dame has fallen off the cliff in terms of winning, currently, 5-8, RPI #96, and 2-5 home record. Its time to drop them from our non conference schedule.
When we played them in the Big East, most years we played them 3 times, in other words we played them a lot. There never has been any great relationship between McGraw and Gino.
When Notre Dame was very good, it was good for women's basketball for these teams to keep playing. Both teams got a lot of exposure from these ESPN national tv games. With Notre Dame being terrible, this game becomes meaningless for us, and only aids them in their rebuilding process, which we shouldn't help them with.
Like Arnold said in the Terminator “I’ll be back” and so will Notre Dame! Keep them and with the recruits we have coming in over the next 2 years, we should be able to handle them. This rivalry is great for women’s college basketball!

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I look at it this way, keep playing ND until MM says "No Mas", that way when UConn is still playing them and wiping them all over the BB court Geno can tell all those that are thinking of going to ND instead of UConn that do you really want to be that embarrassed after playing us or would you rather be part of the team that wipes them out. Then after MM says 'No Mas" he can say why do you want to go to a University that refuses to play UConn.:rolleyes::rolleyes:
I like the idea of bludgeoning Muffet into Joanne P McCallie!

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
If the original post was intended as satire, Well done!

If it was serious, let's take it piece by piece, grumbling, gasping and groaning as we go.

1. The logic doesn't hold up. Schedules are set one or more years in advance of the 'play dates'. Why not drop USF as well? They, too, are struggling a bit at the moment. Traditional rivalries have value, especially when both teams are frequent
fliers with Final Four Airways.

2. So what!?

3. A. Who is this Gino of whom you speak? 3. B. A bit of animosity between coaches and/or teams is good for fan interest.

4. Yes, indeedy.

5. We feast on our fair share of cupcakes. Why do you not object to that? If we inadvertently help ND recover, that is good for WCBB, ness pah? Now, if you want us to drop the vile pumpkin puke orange school after fulfilling our contractual obligation....

Have a fine afternoon and a prosperous new year.
"ness pah" ? :confused: Lost me there @Sifaka

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom