Lets drop Notre Dame from our schedule | The Boneyard

Lets drop Notre Dame from our schedule

Reaction Score
Now that Notre Dame has fallen off the cliff in terms of winning, currently, 5-8, RPI #96, and 2-5 home record. Its time to drop them from our non conference schedule.
When we played them in the Big East, most years we played them 3 times, in other words we played them a lot. There never has been any great relationship between McGraw and Gino.
When Notre Dame was very good, it was good for women's basketball for these teams to keep playing. Both teams got a lot of exposure from these ESPN national tv games. With Notre Dame being terrible, this game becomes meaningless for us, and only aids them in their rebuilding process, which we shouldn't help them with.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
ND may be on the decline, but ND vs UConn is a marquee matchup in WBB, which continues to need more such matchups, not fewer. The idea that somehow UConn continuing to play ND will help the Irish rebuild is silly. In fact, if UConn continues to beat up ND by 20+ point margins it would more likely serve to hasten their decline.

Reaction Score
Agree with OldDude. It is a marquee matchup. Also it is very likely that Notre Dame will be back in the Top 10 within a few years whether or not UConn plays them. And with UConn in a relatively weak league, UConn actually needs ND as a yearly rival to help the Huskies continue to play very strong schedules.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
I don't care how deep the ND slide becomes. We should continue to schedule them. Giving MM a lashing is always good for everyone to witness, including her fan base. Maybe, just maybe, she WILL shed a tear during game or post presser. Then, we can tell her "There's no crying in WBB".

Reaction Score
ND may be on the decline, but ND vs UConn is a marquee matchup in WBB, which continues to need more such matchups, not fewer. The idea that somehow UConn continuing to play ND will help the Irish rebuild is silly. In fact, if UConn continues to beat up ND by 20+ point margins it would more likely serve to hasten their decline.
@oldude ---I suggest this is all "tongue in cheek".
As you suggest ND is down but never ever count Muffet out. Uconn on their not so great years gave ND a run for their money and ND returned the favor. No matter how bad or great Uconn or ND may be--Personally, I enjoy those games. Last year when ND was running hot Chrystn Williams ran the table for 28 points--thrilling.
The 7 win's in a row for ND was frustrating but Uconn won the NC over that team. How great can a head to head team to team relationship be?? The thread is purely Tongue in Cheek

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
ND has been very good for many years and when they are having a really bad start to this season a suggestion is made to drop them from the schedule. No, this does not make sense. As far as we know ND may have a turnaround before the season is over. Even if they don't, one down season after so many very good seasons is no reason to drop them from the schedule. Maybe this post was made just to get a discussion started. If so, it worked.

Reaction Score
Given what we've seen from them and Muffet this year, can you be sure of that? I can't.
Geno and Muffet come from the same source in coaching. Both have strong views and are dedicated coaches. I truly enjoy beating ND, until Uconn beats them. The contest between coaches and teams make the loss not so palatable.
The head to head contest between Geno/Muffett has been the grease that moved Women's basketball into the forefront. People that would never view Women in any games sought out these games. It was better for Women's BB and sports than all the U Tenn games combined. The sport has evolved to the point you now see because of 3 people Pat, Geno, Muffet.

Reaction Score
You know, when you submit a post in which you're joking, but could be taken seriously, it's probably best to add an emoji, so people know your intent.
Wait, what? You aren't joking?

Ok then...

This is simply a bad idea. Dropping what has been one of the historically five strongest teams in the sport because they have a bad year or two is nuts. I could see it if they'd made an administrative decision to drop to Division II or something, but that's not the case. It's a team whose recruiting plan stacked the deck in previous years and then went sour and had a bunch of injuries to boot. I'm not a betting man, but I'd lay any money on their being back in the big time within three years.

Also, consider how close UConn came to a kinda similar fate this year. May I remind BYers that there was a time in the past year when the recruitment of Adebayo was heralded as a wonderful thing because the team needed someone big and strong at the forward position? This is the same player who now cannot even buy a minute of time on the court. So what would the team have been like if, say, the recruitment of Makurat had fallen through and a couple of players -- let's say Irwin and Dangerfield -- went out with serious but not career-threatening injuries?

This could easily have been UConn, folks. It wouldn't have been as bad as Notre Dame, because UConn didn't have all its great players graduate all at once, so the team's record would still be above .500, but it would not have been pretty. And at that point, should Baylor think about dropping UConn because it's just isn't competitive any more?

Reaction Score
ND with an RPI of 96 (...and a down year) you want to drop them from the UConn OOC schedule?. In my eyes that is still below 100, good enough to be in that Quadrant 2 "sweet spot". If only the likes of Baylor, Miss St, Tenn and others had a few of them teams with an RPI below 100 on their OOC schedule, they might actually be situated higher in the weekly polls.

HGN

Reaction Score
AS long as the television networks (ESPN , CBSSN , Fox , etc ) are willing to pay both schools the BIG bucks to play , both schools will want this game. Scheduling is one thing , but $$$ drives the train and many games.

Reaction Score
Geno and Muffet come from the same source in coaching. Both have strong views and are dedicated coaches. I truly enjoy beating ND, until Uconn beats them. The contest between coaches and teams make the loss not so palatable.
The head to head contest between Geno/Muffett has been the grease that moved Women's basketball into the forefront. People that would never view Women in any games sought out these games. It was better for Women's BB and sports than all the U Tenn games combined. The sport has evolved to the point you now see because of 3 people Pat, Geno, Muffet.

My post wasn’t a comment about Muffet’s coaching ability, it was referring to the level of talent she will have. Not convinced it is Top 20.

Also, I wouldn’t include Muffet in the Geno/Pat category.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Given what we've seen from them and Muffet this year, can you be sure of that? I can't.

I can. Listen to Geno's discussion of what's happened to ND this year. It's an aberration. Muffet has proved she can coach (unlike Holly). Do you really think MM will pull an Oklahoma?

Reaction Score
After those Germans bombed the harbor it didn't work out too well for them:confused:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom