Leon tolksdorf | The Boneyard

Leon tolksdorf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
What do you think we can expect from him this year?6"8 220 he can shoot just don't know what we have with him.

Reaction Score
Can only guess, but I think he will end up being a better version of Giffey due to superior size and strength. I think he should play more 3 then 4 but with our front-court issues that may not be the case. He can handle the roc and move well enough to play 3 in my opinion. He also has a beautiful shooting form so if he gains confidence he can be a real outside threat.

Reaction Score
Can only guess, but I think he will end up being a better version of Giffey due to superior size and strength. I think he should play more 3 then 4 but with our front-court issues that may not be the case. He can handle the roc and move well enough to play 3 in my opinion. He also has a beautiful shooting form so if he gains confidence he can be a real outside threat.

When have you seen him "handle the roc" or do much of anything besides shoot? Dude is put together pretty solidly to defend post play, and besides his shooting what he was known for over in Germany was his rebounding, too early to say how much he'll ever play but position wise he's best suited as a stretch 4, but I know how these arguments go over on the boneyard...

Reaction Score
When have you seen him "handle the roc" or do much of anything besides shoot? ... position wise he's best suited as a stretch 4, but I know how these arguments go over on the boneyard...

My key phrase for both his handles and his movement was "well-enough". When I say "handle the roc well enough" I mean he has a moderate handle no worse than Giffey in my opinion.

I am validating my opinion mostly based on YT videos and short in-game appearances. I think his rebounding here in the states will not serve as well as it did in the Germany because of the difference in athletic competition. But if he has a high BB IQ like Giff and other European players seem to usually possess than I think his moderate handle will serve him well at the 3 position when combined with a deadly 3 point shot.

I will say I do not think he should play 3 full-time or get a TON of time there. I just think he should get more time at the the 3 rather than the 4 in the long run assuming Facey is eligible and if we land a couple recruits like Abu and Robison for example.

Not trying to hate on your opinion, just wanted to clarify and respond to your questions about my rationale.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
I agree in his highlight vids he did alright for a guy his size with the ball in his hand

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
He reminds me of a Ruslan Inyatkin/Ben Eaves hybrid. I think he can be a consistent contributor by the time he's an upperclassman, but I'm not sure he'll surpass Giffey. Whatever the case, he seems to be a good kid who stays out of trouble and does well academically. Just by that alone he's already doing positive things for our program. As far as his skill level goes, we haven't seen much of him on the court and I haven't really watched much video of him, so take my evaluation with a grain of salt.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Won't see any PT playing behind Daniels.

Reaction Score
He's better than Inyatkin/Eaves for sure.......when out there looks like he belongs but has to get quicker it would seem. Certainly has a nice stroke and seems to have the IQ necessary to get better as well as the size. Too early to say he'll be better than Giffey as Niels is a better "athlete" it would seem and can be depended on to guard people. I like the kid and hope he continues to get better and is part of the many winning seasons we will have under coach Ollie. I believe he can be an important piece on occasion even this year!

Reaction Score
I see him as a lesser version of Giffey. He has potential as a shooter but I haven't seen much else from him. There is always a reason players get the playing time they get or don't get.

Reaction Score
I think he'll contribute a little this year, much more next year. At 6'8 he becomes one of a few possible bandaid fixes should Facey be ineligible.

When it comes to the Germans, I'm more hoping that Neils will reach a little more of his potential this year than worrying about Leon. Neils can really help this team a lot if he can just relax and take open shots. He's very active otherwise.

K

Kemballin'

Won't see any PT playing behind Daniels.

Agreed, but when Daniels leaves he'll play plenty that's for sure. For what I've seen of him his shooting looks great, I'd love him at the stretch four. We could use some floor spacing and that's what he is. In a few years he could definitely be a major contributor.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Agreed, but when Daniels leaves he'll play plenty that's for sure. For what I've seen of him his shooting looks great, I'd love him at the stretch four. We could use some floor spacing and that's what he is. In a few years he could definitely be a major contributor.
I have a feeling when Giffey leaves he might transfer if he doesn't see PT soon. I want him to stay but with wolf and giff gone there really is no reason for him to stay if he's not playing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought he showed enough to get more PT last year. He can contribute.

Reaction Score
Me too. But Ollie never played him.

Ollie has said, if you play well in practice, then you play. I agree with that. I think foot speed is more of an issue with Leon more than anything. He struggles on defense, doesn't really rebound. I'm hoping he slims down a bit, which may help him out in that dept. I'm not saying he's fat, but I think he's a bit slow footed.

Reaction Score
I don't think he'll appear in too many games beyond December, except maybe a few minutes here or there if both Daniels and Giff are in foul trouble and doesn't want to go with both Olander and Facey/Nolan/Brimah on the court at the same time.

Reaction Score
I think he'll contribute a little this year, much more next year. At 6'8 he becomes one of a few possible bandaid fixes should Facey be ineligible.

When it comes to the Germans, I'm more hoping that Neils will reach a little more of his potential this year than worrying about Leon. Neils can really help this team a lot if he can just relax and take open shots. He's very active otherwise.

I disagree with your assessment of Giffey. Sure, we'd all love if he would shoot a little more, but for the most part, I think he has reached his potential and is largely a very underrated commodity on this board. Defense is half the game, and there is a strong argument to be made that he was the best defender on the team last season and will continue to be going forward. He was probably the one guy on the team capable of defending the perimeter and interior with equal effectiveness. I'm not sure if his slender build and German heritage throw people off the scent, or what, but he has the quickness and foot-speed to foil pick and rolls and the deceptive strength/grit to competently guard the paint against fours. As for his offensive game, he's never going to be a guy we look at and say, "Niels, there are eight seconds left on the shot clock, we'll clear out and let you go to work", but we never appear to lose anything when he's on the court because he can spread the floor, set effective screens, and occasionally serve as a key zone buster. Not trying to call you out specifically, and I think you are right in that he can be better this year, but I think your post does a good job of summarizing the board-wide tendency to overlook his value.

Reaction Score
http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/cid...id_w2KvuEqiGkAu1tONK3Mte2.articleMode_on.html

12 pts, 5 rebs in this game for Leon against Turkey. This guy is very easy to forget about. You never know he could turn out to be a very pleasant surprise.

Nice find, I didn't even know he was on the U20 team, this is the type of stuff that the beat guys should be up on, I don't recall one mention of it. From the stats it looks like he did ok.

http://u20men.fibaeurope.com/en/cid...6Tj0.season_2013.roundID_9350.teamID_288.html

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I tend to agree with champs, hoop and bluedog. I believe Giffey is underrated particularly because often times you look at the box score and see the offensive output, or assists, or rebounds and think that's the main story. And I have minimal expectations for Leon. This is not because I don't think he can be a surprise, he's just not really done much production-wise so far, and I'm not expecting much this year. Plus he's only a sophomore. We will see though. Hopefully what he does will be a pleasant surprise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom