Leon tolksdorf | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Leon tolksdorf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Looks thinner.

Giffey is "disappointing" because he seems to have a ton of tools. Just hasn't put it together.
That is the first thing I noticed. Looks like he dropped some weight.

Reaction Score
If Leon is any sort of factor then that means we are in trouble with injuries. He is bench depth that's all. Nothing personal against the guy it's just that he is not a piece that makes the team go.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Looks thinner.

Giffey is "disappointing" because he seems to have a ton of tools. Just hasn't put it together.
Disappointing might be too much word.

Reaction Score
Giffey showed a nice improvement on his aggressiveness in all but with the ball. He still needs to go north-south with the ball and not east-west all the time. More finishing from the wing would make him a real nice player.......still, he was better and I expect more this year his senior year with even more confidence!

Reaction Score
I disagree with your assessment of Giffey. Sure, we'd all love if he would shoot a little more, but for the most part, I think he has reached his potential and is largely a very underrated commodity on this board. Defense is half the game, and there is a strong argument to be made that he was the best defender on the team last season and will continue to be going forward. He was probably the one guy on the team capable of defending the perimeter and interior with equal effectiveness. I'm not sure if his slender build and German heritage throw people off the scent, or what, but he has the quickness and foot-speed to foil pick and rolls and the deceptive strength/grit to competently guard the paint against fours. As for his offensive game, he's never going to be a guy we look at and say, "Niels, there are eight seconds left on the shot clock, we'll clear out and let you go to work", but we never appear to lose anything when he's on the court because he can spread the floor, set effective screens, and occasionally serve as a key zone buster. Not trying to call you out specifically, and I think you are right in that he can be better this year, but I think your post does a good job of summarizing the board-wide tendency to overlook his value.

Huh? I basically said in a few words that I like Neils' game and wish he'd take the open shot.

Reaction Score
Huh? I basically said in a few words that I like Neils' game and wish he'd take the open shot.

Didn't mean to imply that you were taking issue with him - I was just harping on the word "potential" that you used, which I happen to think he has come close to reaching. When you look at his numbers - 5 points, 4 rebounds, 42/29/88 shooting splits - you aren't overwhelmed. But when you examine his versatility - his ability to guard three positions effectively, rebound, and spread the floor for our offensive weapons - you come to realize he was the second most consistent most player on the team last year, and on occasion, the second best player.

Reaction Score
Ollie has said, if you play well in practice, then you play. I agree with that. I think foot speed is more of an issue with Leon more than anything. He struggles on defense, doesn't really rebound. I'm hoping he slims down a bit, which may help him out in that dept. I'm not saying he's fat, but I think he's a bit slow footed.

I agree with you on the slow feet. Giffey has pretty quick feet, but maybe Leon's strength will make up for it. I'm hopeful.

Reaction Score
Leon numbers are going the wrong way. He ave. about 26 minutes per game and now down to 19 minutes per game. Giffey had a much better freshmen year than Leon's. I just don't see where Leon is going to be the player Giffey is. Hope I wrong.

Reaction Score
I disagree with your assessment of Giffey. Sure, we'd all love if he would shoot a little more, but for the most part, I think he has reached his potential and is largely a very underrated commodity on this board. Defense is half the game, and there is a strong argument to be made that he was the best defender on the team last season and will continue to be going forward. He was probably the one guy on the team capable of defending the perimeter and interior with equal effectiveness. I'm not sure if his slender build and German heritage throw people off the scent, or what, but he has the quickness and foot-speed to foil pick and rolls and the deceptive strength/grit to competently guard the paint against fours. As for his offensive game, he's never going to be a guy we look at and say, "Niels, there are eight seconds left on the shot clock, we'll clear out and let you go to work", but we never appear to lose anything when he's on the court because he can spread the floor, set effective screens, and occasionally serve as a key zone buster. Not trying to call you out specifically, and I think you are right in that he can be better this year, but I think your post does a good job of summarizing the board-wide tendency to overlook his value.
I agree with you. The best part of his game is defense and that is why he gets the minutes. I don't know if Leon can play defense, but if he can't he will see very little time. We have a tendency to put too much emphasis on offense.

Reaction Score
If anything I think Giffey is under appreciated from a lot of us. He plays great defense, always gives great effort and attitude, and hits timely 3's. The only knock on him is that he's too unselfish and isn't assertive enough on offense. He needs to shoot more when he's open.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I think he'll contribute a little this year, much more next year. At 6'8 he becomes one of a few possible bandaid fixes should Facey be ineligible.

When it comes to the Germans, I'm more hoping that Neils will reach a little more of his potential this year than worrying about Leon. Neils can really help this team a lot if he can just relax and take open shots. He's very active otherwise.

I've been out of the loop for a while now with no access to The Boneyard/internet (depressing, I know), but what is this talk about KF possibly not being eligible? That's news to me...

Reaction Score
I've been out of the loop for a while now with no access to The Boneyard/internet (depressing, I know), but what is this talk about KF possibly not being eligible? That's news to me...
Dont' know if you've done a search, but these threads breakdown the issue:
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/possible-kentan-facey-eligibility-issues.41944/
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/mor...-could-lose-2-years-redshirt-in-2013-1.42074/
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/kevin-duffy-on-faceys-situation.42176/

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score

Thanks, I appreciate the links. That last article is the best one. It seems very clear to me that KF has to be declared eligible since academically he couldn't have gone to college when he got to the States. BUT, as we all know the NCAA doesn't always make the right/logical/pass-the-stupid-test decision. We all know how much the NCAA loves UConn...

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Leon won't see minutes behind DeAndre. Unless he makes major improvements he'll be a sparingly used role player. Ollie didn't seem to like the way he played when he was out there last year.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks, I appreciate the links. That last article is the best one. It seems very clear to me that KF has to be declared eligible since academically he couldn't have gone to college when he got to the States. BUT, as we all know the NCAA doesn't always make the right/logical/pass-the-stupid-test decision. We all know how much the NCAA loves UConn...
I'm more optimistic than you. I'm betting three years of eligibility with the ability to play this season. That would still be unfair to Facey but a change of philosophy towards students who come from the British system.

My reasons for optimism:

UConn hired an assistant to the AD who has worked with the NCAA compliance department. She has contacts that will help.

Most likely Emmert's animosity was directed towards JC as towards UConn.

Even if it was a UConn thing for Emmert, the rulings for North Carolina and the ruling against UConn already have the NCAA in the spotlight as unequal handling of universities. The NCAA doesn't want to keep bringing attention to itself so it will go out of it's way to show they are not playing hardball with just a couple of universities. And they will use the decision for the military guy going to MTS as a cover to change both inequities in the system.

UConNation

I object!
Reaction Score
I'm more optimistic than you. I'm betting three years of eligibility with the ability to play this season. That would still be unfair to Facey but a change of philosophy towards students who come from the British system.

My reasons for optimism:

UConn hired an assistant to the AD who has worked with the NCAA compliance department. She has contacts that will help.

Most likely Emmert's animosity was directed towards JC as towards UConn.

Even if it was a UConn thing for Emmert, the rulings for North Carolina and the ruling against UConn already have the NCAA in the spotlight as unequal handling of universities. The NCAA doesn't want to keep bringing attention to itself so it will go out of it's way to show they are not playing hardball with just a couple of universities. And they will use the decision for the military guy going to MTS as a cover to change both inequities in the system.

I hope you're right and I think you probably are, but I wouldn'y be a "Boneyardian" if I didn't say "WE'RE DOOOOOOOMED!"

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I hope you're right and I think you probably are, but I wouldn'y be a "Boneyardian" if I didn't say "WE'RE DOOOOOOOMED!"
After getting stung so many times recently we should be using all available methods to remove the jinx. So yes we are DOOOOOMED until we hear about the ruling which should be in 20 minutes.

Reaction Score
Leon won't see minutes behind DeAndre. Unless he makes major improvements he'll be a sparingly used role player. Ollie didn't seem to like the way he played when he was out there last year.
Actually Leon and DeAndre were working out together with a trainer I did not recognize.

Reaction Score
Actually Leon and DeAndre were working out together with a trainer I did not recognize.

They can work out with coaches a certain amount of hours per week.......or is that only when school begins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom