Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
I was hoping that there might have been some positive reaction to the crowd, the fellow visitors, the media, the facility, the staff. That sort of thing, at least. No one necessarily expected her leaving with a commitment to the Huskies but just a nice little spin! Oh well!
You're a little early. UConn won't give the media access to visiting recruits while they're here and isn't supposed to.

If there's anything like that of which you speak, it'll probably be an Adamec phone interview with someone. There's been a pretty good line of communication there.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I was hoping that there might have been some positive reaction to the crowd, the fellow visitors, the media, the facility, the staff. That sort of thing, at least. No one necessarily expected her leaving with a commitment to the Huskies but just a nice little spin! Oh well!

Well that I don't know about. I do know her dad put a photo on Instagram of the championship trophies. He seems impressed anyway.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes.
In fact, I was standing close to her on the court after the festivities. It was very interesting hearing her share her thoughts on the decision-making process. All else being equal, what did she say would be her ultimate deciding factor? Message-board grammar.

Awesome post!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There is no info on Cox other than she attended First Night and will visit Baylor next week before making her decision.

I am hoping that the prospect of her college experience including watching one of the top football teams in the nation adds to her desire to go to Baylor. She has attended quite a few Baylor games and has seemed to thoroughly enjoy that experience. She gets to watcht he 2nd ranked team in the nation on homecoming weekend. I hope that can compete with First Night.

Reaction Score
I am hoping that the prospect of her college experience including watching one of the top football teams in the nation adds to her desire to go to Baylor. She has attended quite a few Baylor games and has seemed to thoroughly enjoy that experience. She gets to watcht he 2nd ranked team in the nation on homecoming weekend. I hope that can compete with First Night.
I wonder how many basketball players decision on a basketball future hinge on the ranking of a football team?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Let's see - highly ranked football team or winning NCs with her own team, football ...NCs, football ...NCs - just too hard a decision!!! I'm stumped! :rolleyes::cool:

Reaction Score
Let's see - highly ranked football team or winning NCs with her own team, football ...NCs, football ...NCs - just too hard a decision!!! I'm stumped! :rolleyes::cool:
I was thinking the same thing. I don't get why the football angle matters for a women's basketball recruit. Sure going to the games is fun, but you know what's more fun? Hoisting a national championship trophy every April and having most of your games broadcast to the entire nation. There's only one coach in America that can walk into a recruit's living room and guarantee a national championship, and it's not Kim Mulkey. Or Holly Warlick. Or Muffet McGraw. Or Dawn Staley. Or Jeff Walz. As far as professional basketball careers go, look how many UConn players are in the W. As an example, Seattle's roster is basically going to be one quarter UConn alumni next year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

She may well chose Baylor, but if she does, for your sake you better hope a few weekends in the fall were not a significant factor.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit two thoughts about Lauren's pending decision. First, about the dozens of speculators who see her "leaning" one way or another (a thought I have posted before):

"Those who don't know, talk; those who know, don't talk."

Second, my opinion of Geno's seating plan for special guests at First Night. Using poker parlance, He "shoved his whole stack in" when he seated Lauren with her possible future teammates: Chrystal, Molly, Kyla, and Andra. And had them photographed together. A master stroke. No wonder he is such a great closer! :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't get the football thing. I mean, if that sways you one way or the other than I would assume basketball isn't that big of a deal to you. Which I think it is to Lauren. I understand it adding to the whole "campus atmosphere", etc, but if football were a determining factor than you would think the better football campuses would have better WCBB.

Here are the top ranked "Football Campuses" by USA Today:
1. Wisconsin
2. Texas
3. Michigan
4. LSU
5. Texas A&M
6. Georgia
7. Auburn
8. Alabama
9. Boise State
10. Tennessee

http://fanindex.usatoday.com/2014/12/01/americas-10-best-college-football-towns/

So only one Final Four team from the past four years among them, Texas A&M. I think college football weekends on a D1 campus are probably fun everywhere, just because it's a campus-wide event. I'm sure Lauren likes going to Baylor football games, but if she chooses Baylor I'm assuming proximity, coaching, the school and her future teammates will play much more of a role than football games.

Reaction Score
The only kids Geno wants are those that want to win national championships. If they have other interests they can go elsewhere. I think it is that simple.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't get the football thing. I mean, if that sways you one way or the other than I would assume basketball isn't that big of a deal to you. Which I think it is to Lauren. I understand it adding to the whole "campus atmosphere", etc, but if football were a determining factor than you would think the better football campuses would have better WCBB.

Here are the top ranked "Football Campuses" by USA Today:
1. Wisconsin
2. Texas
3. Michigan
4. LSU
5. Texas A&M
6. Georgia
7. Auburn
8. Alabama
9. Boise State
10. Tennessee

http://fanindex.usatoday.com/2014/12/01/americas-10-best-college-football-towns/

So only one Final Four team from the past four years among them, Texas A&M. I think college football weekends on a D1 campus are probably fun everywhere, just because it's a campus-wide event. I'm sure Lauren likes going to Baylor football games, but if she chooses Baylor I'm assuming proximity, coaching, the school and her future teammates will play much more of a role than football games.

Thou doth protest too much.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
[

If all that mattered to recruits was winning a NC then UCONN would get the top 3 or 4 ranked players in every class. Remember Diamond DeShields. And when she decided to leave UNC did she transfer to UCONN.

If Lauren doesn't choose UCONN does that mean she doesn't want to win a NC? Maybe she chooses Baylor because it is a top basketball program that she would like to lead to a NC, is in a Big 5 conference, is close enough for her parents and siblings to drive in to watch every home game in person, is a Baptist university with strong religious ideas, has a great football team that adds immeasurable excitement to campus life.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Apparently you completely ignored the part where I said "

If all that mattered to recruits was winning a NC then UCONN would get the top 3 or 4 ranked players in every class. Remember Diamond DeShields. And when she decided to leave UNC did she transfer to UCONN.

If Lauren doesn't choose UCONN does that mean she doesn't want to win a NC? Maybe she chooses Baylor because it is a top basketball program that she would like to lead to a NC, is in a Big 5 conference, is close enough for her parents and siblings to drive in to watch every home game in person, is a Baptist university with strong religious ideas, has a great football team that adds immeasurable excitement to campus life.

I was responding to another one of your now repetitive posts in which you did say you hoped the football would matter to her.z

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The only kids Geno wants are those that want to win national championships. If they have other interests they can go elsewhere. I think it is that simple.

So what happens if you go to UCONN and you don't win a championship. Are you considered a failure?

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Yes. Was this a serious question?
I'm sure those kids do feel that they have failed, in a way. They probably go there with the goal to win a national championship, and if they don't, then they have failed to achieve that goal.

Luckily, there are only a small handful of classes that haven't won a NC :)

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Thou doth protest too much.
Not at all. I just don't really understand the argument that visiting a school on a big football weekend would lead you to commit to a school's women's basketball team. If anything, going to a Midnight Madness type event or hey, a women's basketball game would help you decide where to commit. And clearly, UConn's football team hasn't deterred lots of top recruits from coming to UConn.

I mean, if you're a football player, then yes, I understand the argument.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes. Was this a serious question?

So you consider Ann Strother a failure? These are young women who need to be viewed as more than title producers. I haven't considered a single Baylor player a loser. I appreciate the effort they put forth to represent the university.

Reaction Score
[

Maybe, but your response to the impressive UConn First Night was Baylor Football.

57066340.jpg

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Not at all. I just don't really understand the argument that visiting a school on a big football weekend would lead you to commit to a school's women's basketball team. If anything, going to a Midnight Madness type event or hey, a women's basketball game would help you decide where to commit. And clearly, UConn's football team hasn't deterred lots of top recruits from coming to UConn.

I mean, if you're a football player, then yes, I understand the argument.

If you make note I said "add to her desire." There are many factors that players consider when deciding on a college. Watch a big time football game (not AAC, obviously) and look at the camaraderie it creates. The feeling you get in that environment is hard to match.

Reaction Score
So you consider Ann Strother a failure? These are young women who need to be viewed as more than title producers. I haven't considered a single Baylor player a loser. I appreciate the effort they put forth to represent the university.
Ann Strother won an NC in 2003 with DT. Famous (to UCONN fans) lip reading right after they beat TN for the NC:

Ann: "I can't believe it!"
DT: "Believe it!"

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't blame UCONN fans for trying to convince themselves that a big time football program doesn't add to a recruit's decision. I would do that too.

In no way am I saying it is the only reason to go to a university. But if it pushes the decision just a fraction or two, ill take it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg