Larry Bird - This will astound you! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Larry Bird - This will astound you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Great video Sonny44, thanks!

Thanks also to Red Auerbach, for drafting Larry a year early, and for fleecing Golden State for Parish and McHale in exchange for Joe Barry Carroll. I was a huge Bird fan, and Havlicek before him.

I recently watched a game from the 1984 Championship, the only time the Celtics with Larry beat Lakers in the finals. (Other two championships were both against Houston.) By today`s standards, the players look skinny. Also, the three pointer, instituted in the NBA in 1979, was not the weapon it is today.

Larry played from 1979 to 1992. (Yikes, it has been almost 25 years!) He made 8,591 field goals, but only 649, 0r 7.5%, were three pointers. In 1983-1984, amazingly he only took 73 threes and was 18 for 73. The most he made in a season was 98 in 76 games in 1987-1988.

We know that KLS is a fan of Larry, and that she wears 33 for that reason. She has taken more three pointers in 11 games this year than he took in all of 1983-1984 (79 games). Through a career of 48 games thus far, she has 115 three pointers, or 17 more than Larry had in his most prolific three point season. (I do recognize the college three point line for men and women is a bit shorter than the NBA three point line.)

So while we think of Bird as a long range shooter, and he was quite proficient in that regard, his offense was really a mid-range game. Even when he posted up, if he shot he usually ended up taking a 10-15 footer.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Probably the best shot in the history of the sport.
3rdbass I was truly amazed at it today while watching the posted video. The hook was unstoppable, the defender had NO chance and he was able to shoot it with the left or right from as far out as 15ft. amazing

Reaction Score
Probably the best shot in the history of the sport.

It was. Only "the dunk" could surpass that shot. What an absolutely great spectacular player Lew Alcindor./Kareem Jabbar was. And he was playing great until 40 - just wow!

Did Lakers ever put up a statue for him? It's a crime if they don't have for him but have it for the others.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It was. Only "the dunk" could surpass that shot. What an absolutely great spectacular player Lew Alcindor./Kareem Jabbar was. And he was playing great until 40 - just wow!

Did Lakers ever put up a statue for him? It's a crime if they don't have for him but have it for the others.
Adande: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar statue reminds franchise in transition of its great legacy
i

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
One of my favorite games was when Larry Bird and Indiana U played Sidney Moncriet and JR Reed (Arkansas) --National Championship down to the wire--and entertaining all the way!!

Merry Christmas.

Larry Bird at Indiana State against Sidney Moncrief and U.S. Reed in the Elite Eight.

But, other than that, your memory is spot on :)

Reaction Score
bove

But, other than that, your memory is spot on :)[/QUOTE]
You will I just said Indiana--not U Indiana or Indiana U---(which I knew were wrong) I knew he was from an "odd ball " name school--
Thanks for the indiana State ---I'd say my memory failed me but Indiana State was pretty obscure--larry put them on the high lights .
Thanks for correcting my Sidney Monciet --to proper spelling Moncrief--US Reed --his daddy was a Doctor
A favorite of mine on that Eddie Sutton team--There others on that team who earned my respect--my my memory will also fail to spell them correctly too.

Three Men's NC or final 4's remain as high lights to me--the one above , the Michigan where the Fab five blew the game--calling a time out when they had none left--technical---and the game Uconn beat Duke for the NC--Moore,Rip , Alamen, "We shocked the World!!"

The Fab Five the team i loved to hate!!! (I don't hate any more actually I didn't hate them--I liked to see them lose)

Reaction Score
Indiana State, actually, wasn't it?
yes Indiana State and JR Reed played for North Carolina...US Reed played for Arkansas...and the game was a regional final not final four...just saying

Reaction Score
I still think Bird doesn't get the props he deserves among basketball viewers today. To me, although many consider Jordan to be the greatest player they ever saw Bird was to me the more interesting to watch. Like I've said before, the refs and the Association protected Jordan and he became a brand. Not Bird or Magic nearly as much.

Different days---different fans. You are right that Jordan became a "brand"---to me Jordan earned and deserves respect for what he did as a player---equally with out hesitation I say Magic (a minor brand) and Bird at talent wise at that level. I missed few games in College of Jordan--saw a few of Birds --he and Magic i followed in the pros---and I was not much of Pro's Fan.

Reaction Score
yes Indiana State and JR Reed played for North Carolina...US Reed played for Arkansas...and the game was a regional final not final four...just saying

For us Arkansas fans Getting into the NCAA's was the final 4. Thanks--all of you for the corrections--US Reed, Sidney Moncrief, Indiana State.
If this game is raised again in 45 years---I'll be sure to post the corrections then. thanks..

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
One of my favorite games was when Larry Bird and Indiana U played Sidney Moncriet and JR Reed (Arkansas) --National Championship down to the wire--and entertaining all the way!!

Merry Christmas.

? Didn't Larry play for Indiana State and play Michigan State and Magic Johnson in the finals?

Reaction Score
? Didn't Larry play for Indiana State and play Michigan State and Magic Johnson in the finals?
Yes in the 1979 game Mi Won. Arkansas as was quoted---played Larry and IS in the Elite 8---In Arkansas that was OuR final------4 or 8 didn't matter.
Sutton is recorded as a near great coach---maybe--UArk, kentucky, Ok st---I never thought him exceptional--except for that one game---just getting there- lost by one basket.

Reaction Score
Larry Bird at Indiana State against Sidney Moncrief and U.S. Reed in the Elite Eight.

But, other than that, your memory is spot on :)
I just re-read this---funny ---I like humor. if not for the SPOT on --not funny--but as many screwups in that posting to use Spot on----Funny!! thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom