Larry Bird - This will astound you! | The Boneyard

Larry Bird - This will astound you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
A present for all the BY'ers who put up with me all year.
Merry Christmas everyone!

NBA’s new Larry Bird highlight video will blow your mind

Thanks Sonny. As a huge Larry Bird fan, I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Many people don't know what a trash talker he really was. He called shots, taunted opponents and could thoroughly break down an opponent mentally. Not a leaper by any means but a great rebounder and, as the video showed, a wonderful passer. Unbelievable instincts and a basketball IQ off the charts. And his shot wasn't bad either. Almost as good as Katie Lou's.

His rivalry, and ultimate friendship, with Magic Johnson, was very special. They weren't always friends but I believe became much closer when they filmed a commercial in French Lick and really got to know each other.

Thanks again.

Reaction Score
The shot at 4.37 from behind the net. Has anyone else ever done that in a game?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As a Knick fan at the time it was painful to watch. As a Laker fan at the time as well, not so much. Still the most complete forward I ever saw, and one of the greatest competitors ever to play. Unlike Jordan however the league never saw fit to change the rules to protect and lionize him.

Reaction Score
Amazing, wonderful, inspirational. IMO, the 85-86 Celtics would have beaten anybody.

Why I love the UCONN women's BB teams so much is that it reminds me of the those 80's unselfish Celtic teams - and Larry Bird was at the very heart of it all.

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Thanks so much for the video. A lot of new material I never saw before on other Larry Bird videos, especially those incredible touch passes.

I lived in Boston during the Bird Era, though I grew up in East Lansing, Michigan and was a huge Magic fan. Except for Magic, I could not stand the Lakers. Without question, Kareem was the player most hated, next to Bill Laimbeer, by Celtic fans . It was very difficult to obtain tickets to games at the Garden at the time, and the only game I saw was from an obstructed view seat, high up in the rafters, against the San Antonio Spurs and George Gervin. Gervin scored a lot, as usual, but the Spurs didn't have a chance against the Celtics, who played as a team, versus the Spurs boring and predictable "one-man show."

At the time, I lived in the same town (Brookline) as Larry Legend, but never saw or encountered him or any Celtic on the streets or in restaurants during my 15 years in Boston. However, I did run into Charles Barkley quite accidentally...of all places...on the streets of Tokyo, Japan.

Thanks again for the memories!:cool:

Last edited:

shinobimono

Reaction Score
The shot at 4.37 from behind the net. Has anyone else ever done that in a game?

Yes, incredibly I have seen a few replays of both NBA and college players hitting shots from behind the backboard, though I can't remember who. Actually, it's a more commonly made shot than you think. Check out this link for the NBA's top 10 behind-the-backboard shots (Bird accounts for two of them).

JordyG

Reaction Score
Amazing, wonderful, inspirational. IMO, the 85-86 Celtics would have beaten anybody.

Why I love the UCONN women's BB teams so much is that it reminds me of the those 80's unselfish Celtic teams - and Larry Bird was at the very heart of it all.
The Lakers failed that year for a lot of reasons and the Celtics did a nice job on them in "84. However the next year with virtually the same team the Lakers beat them 4-2 and in "87 with slightly different teams on both sides. Yeah, the Celtics were a nice team in 85-86, but I'll take that '87-'88 Laker team any day. Even over the Koby teams.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thanks so much for the video. A lot of new material I never saw before on other Larry Bird videos, especially those incredible touch passes.

I lived in Boston during the Bird Era, though I grew up in East Lansing, Michigan and was a huge Magic fan. Except for Magic, I could not stand the Lakers. Without question, Kareem was the player most hated, next to Bill Laimbeer, by Celtic fans . It was very difficult to obtain tickets to games at the Garden at the time, and the only game I saw was from an obstructed view seat, high up in the rafters, against the San Antonio Spurs and George Gervin. Gervin scored a lot, as usual, but the Spurs didn't have a chance against the Celtics, who played as a team, versus the Spurs boring and predictable "one-man show."

At the time, I lived in the same town (Brookline) as Larry Legend, but never saw or encountered him or any Celtic on the streets or in restaurants during my 15 years in Boston. However, I did run into Charles Barkley quite accidentally...of all places...on the streets of Tokyo, Japan.

Thanks again for the memories!:cool:
I always wondered why Kareem was so hated, since he rarely trash talked on the court, played a relatively clean game and rarely if ever denigrated his opponents. Contrarily because of his size he was pounded even in college just short of Shaq. Where instead of protecting him with rule changes like Jordan, they took away the dunk because of his ability. Whereas Laimbeer often gloated about his dirty play and thus the "Jordan Rule(s)".

shinobimono

Reaction Score
I always wondered why Kareem was so hated, since he rarely trash talked on the court, played a relatively clean game and rarely if ever denigrated his opponents. Contrarily because of his size he was pounded even in college just short of Shaq. Where instead of protecting him with rule changes like Jordan, they took away the dunk because of his ability. Whereas Laimbeer often gloated about his dirty play and thus the "Jordan Rule(s)".

I watched a lot of Celtic games on TV back then, and Kareem was, by Celtic fan standards, a serious whiner, who complained often to refs about calls and often emotionally showed his displeasure. Of course, Johnny Most, the radio announcer, who fans often listened too while watching games, was notoriously partisan and would pour it on heavy against whiners, especially Kareem, MJ, and Laimbeer (more a hooligan, but also a whiner), further fanning the fames of hatred. Dr. J, on the other hand, was highly respected because he played college ball at UMass, and was always a fan favorite. However, Laimbeer, even though born in Boston, was always hated.

Reaction Score
Nope, nope, nope Jordy. McHale broke his foot the following year (86-87) Walton went down also, so they were never the same after 85-86. With Walton healthy, I remember the Celtics going out to LA and absolutely killing the Lakers that year. The 85-86 Celts could handle anybody.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Bird's shots, passes, and plays were outrageous. In fact, they were downright Taurasian.

shinobimono

Reaction Score

As I mentioned in an earlier post, announcer Johnny Most harangued Kareem for whining, which fanned fan hatred for him. He targeted certain players and teams for special treatment. I tried to find some examples of his rants against Kareem, but I did find this one against the Detroit Piston and some of their players. I've heard much worse from him than you'll hear in this audio. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
One of my favorite games was when Larry Bird and Indiana U played Sidney Moncriet and JR Reed (Arkansas) --National Championship down to the wire--and entertaining all the way!!

Merry Christmas.

Those were among my most favorite player's EVER.

Reaction Score
Yes, incredibly I have seen a few replays of both NBA and college players hitting shots from behind the backboard, though I can't remember who. Actually, it's a more commonly made shot than you think. Check out this link for the NBA's top 10 behind-the-backboard shots (Bird accounts for two of them).

Shots over the backboard are illegal under college and high school rules. A few have been allowed by refs who didn't know the rule.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I watched a lot of Celtic games on TV back then, and Kareem was, by Celtic fan standards, a serious whiner, who complained often to refs about calls and often emotionally showed his displeasure. Of course, Johnny Most, the radio announcer, who fans often listened too while watching games, was notoriously partisan and would pour it on heavy against whiners, especially Kareem, MJ, and Laimbeer (more a hooligan, but also a whiner), further fanning the fames of hatred. Dr. J, on the other hand, was highly respected because he played college ball at UMass, and was always a fan favorite. However, Laimbeer, even though born in Boston, was always hated.
Frankly from my perspective Bird and Rick Barry were some of the worse, often complaining to the ref WHILE THEY WERE IN THE MIDDLE OF A SHOT. Bird of course had to take the time off from being the biggest trash talker I'd ever seen. Admittedly although Bird was bad, Barry took compaining to epic proportions. As we all know as well as being a master complainer and trash talker, Jordan mastered the "hidden" third step to the basket which was rarely called by the refs; without him of course there would be no flagrant foul rule. Doc was different, living off of his rep obtained while playing in the ABA, although he wasn't as protected as Jordan by the refs. Doc was also only a mild trash talker. Gervin was better.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
As I mentioned in an earlier post, announcer Johnny Most harangued Kareem for whining, which fanned fan hatred for him. He targeted certain players and teams for special treatment. I tried to find some examples of his rants against Kareem, but I did find this one against the Detroit Piston and some of their players. I've heard much worse from him than you'll hear in this audio. Enjoy!

Johnny Most was a clown, a complete homer!

Kareem skyhooked the Celtics to death and they hated that it was unstoppable

Reaction Score
The Lakers failed that year for a lot of reasons and the Celtics did a nice job on them in "84. However the next year with virtually the same team the Lakers beat them 4-2 and in "87 with slightly different teams on both sides. Yeah, the Celtics were a nice team in 85-86, but I'll take that '87-'88 Laker team any day. Even over the Koby teams.

Kevin McHale was playing with a broken foot yet he still averaged 20.5 and 9 reboundis shooting 58.5%. And Bill Walton was hurt. He only played 10 reg season games and only 24 minutes the entire series. I would go with Celts of 85-86 but those teams 85-86 and 86-87 - they were awesome. I wouldn't put up much of an argument for either. They were both awesome.

SPORTS PEOPLE; McHale Has Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom