Larrier | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Larrier

C

Chief00

Larrier missed last year and sometimes it takes a long while to get it back. The surgery this year sure didn’t help and he isn’t the first guy to struggle with a mask. Plus be tentative. Feel bad for him but if he can’t play for a few games he should not play or play limited minutes until he is more ready.

That’s what Chief said a week ago.

Reaction Score
Or more willing to sacrifice his body a little. The unwillingness to play physical or even be in the lane hurts them.

Hope he gets better physically and mentally.
I don’t think he can afford to but the thought of being able to is the issue. I see glimpses of fire but can’t tell if it’s just chest pounding.

Reaction Score
Even when Larrier was "coming on" before the injury, he was averaging 16 points on 16 shots while averaging four rebounds and one assist per game. In fairness, "16 points on 16 shots" can be valuable to an offense that sucks like ours does, but it's true that he's pretty much been the epitome of an empty player and the fact that he can't do other things to help us win when his shot is off is kind of the point.

Whaley can be really painful to watch at times like he was yesterday, but for those who put any stock into these sort of stats, consider the fact that Larrier's defensive box plus/minus is -.8 while Whaley's is 6.8. His offensive advanced stats are considerably better than Larrier's as well, though that doesn't match with the eye test quite as neatly. I cringe every time Whaley shoots.

Reaction Score
One thing for certain is that he needs to avg 5/6 free throws a game which would benefit him as well as the team .. so drive the damn ball with some Ferociousness n get fouled
But it's difficult to drive without dribbling!

rgw

Reaction Score
he should not be allowed to put the ball on the floor. Every time he does its a turnover. Could be effective as a spot up shooter, What D?

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
KO needs to win games now so don't expect him to give any player "developmental" minutes. That means Tyler Phommachanh is not going to get any of TL's minutes. TL has been a disappointment but he is a much better player right now than Tyler Phommachanh. I agree with Cardiac that Polley has shown me nothing. Diarra, on the other hand, is a guy I would like to see getting steady minutes. He crashes the boards and plays with energy. Let him play until he fouls out. He would average about 18 minutes a game which is about how much he should be playing.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what others thought we were getting in Larrier.

I saw from game one last year that he was a gunner. A non defender and a non rebounder....

I contend we are better with him out of the lineup. At this point play Polley.
Both he and Purvis were highly ranked and highly recruited. Both have had their moments in UConn uniforms, but clearly weren’t what was anticipated. Sometimes players transfer because they realize they made a mistake; sometimes they transfer because the coach realizes it.

As for Polley, I like him and it surprises me that he hasn’t been more productive. He has our best shooting stroke from deep, even though the stats are unimpressive. He handles better than Larrier, but at 6’8” won’t be mistaken for Magic Johnson. I’d like to see more shots from him, get him those spot up threes.

Reaction Score
I had bigger expectations for Polley, Diarra, Enoch, Durham, Whaley, Larrier, Purvis, Jackson, Gibbs, Miller over the years. These were all highly rated guys or guys coming to us with experience. Is this just coincidence? Is UConn unlucky? Eventually, one has to look at KO and his schemes, preparation and development.
I would add Facey (a Top 100 recruit) to that list. Even people arguing Jalen flawedc can’t play D, etc. Just too many Top 100 players over many recruiting classes to argue in good faith that the problem is the player not living up to their recruiting ranking. Too many high ranked recruits over too many seasons to blame on all of these players. It’s not a coincidence the common thread is coaching staff

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom