Larrier turning pro at end of season | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Larrier turning pro at end of season

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Wrong, no doubt with the wide open play of the awfully limited defense of the G/D league I thought Rodney would be better, as DHam is too. Larrier is not even close to either of these players and it is NOT KO's fault here, the kid just isn't as good as advertised period.

I don't have any particular reason to defend the kids other than him being a husky, but he did play this year coming off a knee injury and almost a third with a mask on. I really have no idea where his career will go from here. He clearly has some skills and Ollie was unable to figure out how to implement an offense that took advantage of them (or anyone else's really). Maybe someone else will.

Not really sure why some people think it's funny that he has decided to move on, and see if he can make some money playing basketball. It seems like those people would be happier if he announced that he was giving up his dreams and will sign on with the local used Honda dealership.

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier will turn 23 in mid August.

I wish him the best and hope he gets into a situation where he can flourish.
Thanks so much for correcting the typo, does that change anything?

Reaction Score
If kids like Whaley or Carlton are leaving, then I don't know what to say, but... the grass certainly isn't always greener.

I will only be bummed if Jalen leaves.

Mass exodus? Ummmm, who are you talking about? Whaley? Carlton? Polley?

The grass is not always greener.

There are 50+ Whaley’s, Carlton’s, and Polleys in every class.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
The joke is on Larrier. He is going to get signed to play on the Thunders’ G League team next year...and then Ollie will get hired as the coach after he is canned by UConn.:D

Reaction Score
Obviously things didn't work out with TL like we hoped they would, but he could've transferred to a lot of different schools and chose to play at UConn. I wish him nothing but the best.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
NEXT!!!!!

please tell me there will be a next.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hope he speaks Greek.

Good luck to him. Wish it worked out better.

Reaction Score
and? Probably a step up in regards to quality of life, if not now, than soon (like much of Western Europe) and for sure safety compared to the states.

Safety? Tell that to the citizens of Germany, France, Sweden and other countries wherein sexual assaults and other problems have increased so dramatically that governments are advertising to their citizens that women should be careful about how they dress. Wearing low cut blouses or short skirts may send the wrong message to those of other cultures and be misinterpreted. So be careful how you dress. Who'd a thunk that would be an issue in the free world?
And, most Americans are not yearning for very small and expensive housing, very small cars burning very expensive fuels and a much more regulated way of life..........although it seems to be that, even here, as life gets more complicated some people are leaning towards others running more of their lives.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
I find it perplexing to say the least, that so many on here can easily speak ill of one of our own student athletes.... while if someone did the same in regards to Ollie, who gets paid millions, he/she would be labeled "a bad fan"

Some of y'all on here should be ashamed of yourselves, wish the kid good luck and leave it at that. He's following his own dreams and aspirations

The double standards displayed in this thead are cringeworthy

Reaction Score
It's embarrassing how bad posters are in this thread, like whiny little brats when things don't go their way.

Kid is graduating from UConn. Tore his ACL. Never got into trouble. He has some skills that can be useful to pro teams, that much is obvious. why anyone thinks he should stay for a 5th year of college, after graduation, when he's already 23, and the team will be no better next year!

Jeez, wish him good luck.

Amen to that.
He's been a good citizen and always seemed respectful and polite in interviews. Maybe he was too nice for today's game.
Having said that, there was something strange about his path here and/or Ollie's hype about him may have been excessive.
It seemed odd that he didn't follow Shaka Smart to Texas, for example. Was he not offered the opportunity, or did he decide Smart was not the coach he first thought he was?
Then, when you look at his stats at VCU, they didn't portend the greatness Ollie suggested (FG 36%, 3 Pt FG 26%, FT 64%). Many players improve dramatically in their sophomore years so maybe the knee injury held him back, or maybe he was just not as good as Ollie thought. Many on this site say Ollie failed to develop him, but we'll probably never know.

Reaction Score
Larrier was known as a “gunner” as a frosh at VCU

Interesting. His shots per minutes played have been higher at UConn. He did get more free throws per minutes played at VCU, so maybe he was a better ball handler as a freshman or the defenses he faced weren't as good.

Reaction Score
Same thing was said about Purvis last year. And then we got this year's product. OOOOOOPPPPPSS!

And, for that matter, same thing was said about Deandre Daniels in February of 2014. He was crucified here in early February. The threads are still up.

Purvis seems to be faring well in the G League, but where's Daniels?

Reaction Score
Purvis seems to be faring well in the G League, but where's Daniels?

Helping UConn win a national championship.

That's where.

What happens to them after is on them, but he definitely came on that year.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't have any particular reason to defend the kids other than him being a husky, but he did play this year coming off a knee injury and almost a third with a mask on. I really have no idea where his career will go from here. He clearly has some skills and Ollie was unable to figure out how to implement an offense that took advantage of them (or anyone else's really). Maybe someone else will.

Not really sure why some people think it's funny that he has decided to move on, and see if he can make some money playing basketball. It seems like those people would be happier if he announced that he was giving up his dreams and will sign on with the local used Honda dealership.

Yup.

He’s leaving with a college degree, so it’s not like he’s heading out into the world any worse off than any other kid leaving UConn.

He can take a shot at playing pro ball - if he fails, he has a college degree. If he succeeds, he still has a college degree.

It’s pretty good to be Terry Larrier these days.

Reaction Score
Amen to that.
He's been a good citizen and always seemed respectful and polite in interviews. Maybe he was too nice for today's game.
Having said that, there was something strange about his path here and/or Ollie's hype about him may have been excessive.
It seemed odd that he didn't follow Shaka Smart to Texas, for example. Was he not offered the opportunity, or did he decide Smart was not the coach he first thought he was?
Then, when you look at his stats at VCU, they didn't portend the greatness Ollie suggested (FG 36%, 3 Pt FG 26%, FT 64%). Many players improve dramatically in their sophomore years so maybe the knee injury held him back, or maybe he was just not as good as Ollie thought. Many on this site say Ollie failed to develop him, but we'll probably never know.

His injury definitely is a big piece to all this. Heck, you could see him coming on this year until his injury. He strung several god games together. Right now, he is back to square one.

Reaction Score
Helping UConn win a national championship.

That's where.

What happens to them after is on them, but he definitely came on that year.

Agreed. I wasn't on this site in 2014 so I wasn't aware of any abuse he was being given.
I thought he made a bad decision leaving early and it seems it hasn't worked out as well as he thought it would from the last info I saw on him.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Starting 5

PG : “The unknown shoulder”
SG: transfer from Middlesex CC ???
Wing: Sid Wilson
PF: Kwintin Williams
C: The big Russian

The 20+ point loss record is definitely in jeopardy next year again.
Fin is the transfer from Middlesex CC a real thing, or just an example of more patchwork stuff to come?

Reaction Score
Hope the kid crushes it wherever he plays basketball wherever that may be - if he can get a paycheck for putting a ball through a little orange ring - god bless.

Reaction Score
Rodney Purvis played 102 games at UConn. His record in the postseason is 9-3. He competed his tail off on both ends, exuded charisma and leadership no matter how bad things got, and played his best ball in the biggest games. He played on a conference tournament winning team, won an NCAA tournament game, and developed into an all-league caliber defender by his junior or senior year. Was never the biggest fan of him as a player, but when he left campus you heard his footsteps.

Larrier has played 30 games at UConn. He's 13-17 in those games. The team played better without him last season and his absence has hardly seemed to matter this season. He floats on defense, has never been particularly interested in rebounding, and manages to hoist as many inefficient shots as possible. Unlike last year, the season is already over and everyone knows it.

I could wish him the best of luck but it would be a lie because I don't really care. He sounds like a good guy and I certainly don't wish any ill on him. If he goes on to make it in the NBA, maybe I'll hypocritically latch onto the bandwagon and pretend I always liked him. Save that, I don't know what to tell you. The dude had some bad luck with injuries and I feel for him on that. But there are a lot of guys I feel for and there are a lot of guys who would love to play basketball at UConn and most of them will be just as foreign to me as he was. It's almost like this season didn't happen. Maybe I should do the polite thing and wish him luck and move on, but I'd rather this than make a false equivalence to other guys who actually played here and mattered. It isn't his fault that I feel this way but I do. I don't have any attachment to him one way or the other because he never...did anything for me? I think I probably feel the same way about him as he does about me and that seems like how it should be.

C

Chief00

I'll say it again. There will be MORE players staying at UCONN if we have new coach versus KO staying.
I think that’s true, assuming it’s the right coach. Benedict will be moving swiftly but the conventional wait until the end of season may be too late under these circumstances. For the sake of argument, don’t cheer Hurley on too much, since that means he joins in very late March vs early/mid March.

C

Chief00

I find it perplexing to say the least, that so many on here can easily speak ill of one of our own student athletes.... while if someone did the same in regards to Ollie, who gets paid millions, he/she would be labeled "a bad fan"

Some of y'all on here should be ashamed of yourselves, wish the kid good luck and leave it at that. He's following his own dreams and aspirations

The double standards displayed in this thead are cringeworthy

Quite frankly, I hear you but a season this bad never ends well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom