Larrier: Jalen and I feel lethargic at the start of games | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Larrier: Jalen and I feel lethargic at the start of games

Reaction Score
Am I the only one concerned about TL's attitude?
He got on DO twice in the previous game, pouted after he was called for a foul and too often acts like he is playing alone, once he has the ball in his hands.
World of talent,but attitude concerns me.

I know he needs to work harder to be an impact rebounder, was beaten twice on the weak side by a guy he was making no contact with for a rebound. He was in position but the other guy wanted the ball more and was more physical. That needs to end if he wants to be the player he wants to be and can be.

Reaction Score
The newcomers have no problem bringing energy. Sack up or take a seat. Never seen a UConn player quote that made me think "wow, what a loser," but wow, what a loser.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Huh? You guys think Larrier told Rooks that he and Jalen feel lethargic in the first ten minutes because they are covering for Gilbert?

Not sure how you reach that conclusion. Whatever Gilbert's issues may be, I don't think his attitude or energy are problems.

Can't say the same about Terry and Jalen.
Quite simple really. All you need to do is go to one of the game threads and see how fans are skewering Alterique. It's natural for older players to take younger players under their wing or to shield them from the insane negativity that fans throw at players. With Terry's comments the blame goes towards the upperclassman who are more familiar with the idiocy of fans. Need proof. This thread proves it.

There is a difference of opinion with regards to Jalen's energy the first ten minutes. I'm amongst a group who feels that Jalen, if anything, was too excited the first ten minutes which caused him to take and miss shots he might have made if he was more settled. And in the above video which tcf posted in this thread you can here Tim Welsh's commentary over this issue. It's an overwhelming endorsement given Tim's proclivity to just take the overall play based on the last play a player makes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Quite simple really. All you need to do is go to one of the game threads and see how fans are skewering Alterique. It's natural for older players to take younger players under their wing or to shield them from the insane negativity that fans throw at players. With Terry's comments the blame goes towards the upperclassman who are more familiar with the idiocy of fans. Need proof. This thread proves it.

There is a difference of opinion with regards to Jalen's energy the first ten minutes. I'm amongst a group who feels that Jalen, if anything, was too excited the first ten minutes which caused him to take and miss shots he might have made if he was more settled. And in the above video which tcf posted in this thread you can here Tim Welsh's commentary over this issue. It's an overwhelming endorsement given Tim's proclivity to just take the overall play based on the last play a player makes.
I disagree and find it hard to believe that Terry said what he said because he and Jalen are trying to protect Alterique from criticism on this message board.

I think it's more likely that kids are idiots and say stupid things sometimes.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Shield Gilbert from what? He’s played very well. The only thing he’s doing wrong it driving into the lab and turning it over. Other than that he’s done well

Reaction Score
Gilbert missed 3 - 4 foul shots in the first couple of minutes. Making those free ones would have made the start look a little better.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
I disagree and find it hard to believe that Terry said what he said because he and Jalen are trying to protect Alterique from criticism on this message board.

I think it's more likely that kids are idiots and say stupid things sometimes.
Perhaps. But it gained legs by the fans in this forum. So are the fans idiots as well for parsing everything idiotic kids say?

Never said this message board was his rational for the statement. I used this thread as an example of how fans react to players and their play. But don't let me stop you from twisting my statement.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Sure they were related to hustle I guess, but a couple were not very smart. One was pure double pump cut the mustard instead of a straight lay in and maybe a foul. His defense is lax at best watch him he is the worst defensive player of the 4 guards by a wide margin and that's because of not all in, not 100% committed. He can be a much better defender with better concentration and less laying off to make a play. They don't need him to hold back or admit to slow starts, they need him to be the player he can be and actually thinks he is.

Sorry for me lot to prove and improve still not a good start for him minus a 10-12 minute high effort run against Stony Brook.
Some of the plays were not smart but he had some open 3 point looks that were in the flow of play and he bricked them. I want him to take those.

Disagree about his defense being lazy. He's on par with Christian and Anderson imo although does not have the quick hands of Anderson. The worst defender currently is Gilbert. But by the end of the year I'd wager he'll be the best. Kid has amazingly quick hands. He could be the player this season to earn the "reach around bandit" moniker. Although Polley should give him a run for that title.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Shield Gilbert from what? He’s played very well. The only thing he’s doing wrong it driving into the lab and turning it over. Other than that he’s done well
You know that. I know that. But some fans don't. And more importantly Alterique may not feel it. His body language, his hesitation to take wide open threes early in the game, indicate to me Alterique may be struggling with confidence. It's normal for players to go through this, especially coming back from an injury. Some players are tuned into this and will do things to reduce the pressure young dudes put on themselves. Caron is a good example of a player who helped his team mates when they struggled with confidence or were down on themselves.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You know that. I know that. But some fans don't. And more importantly Alterique may not feel it. His body language, his hesitation to take wide open threes early in the game, indicate to me Alterique may be struggling with confidence. It's normal for players to go through this, especially coming back from an injury. Some players are tuned into this and will do things to reduce the pressure young dudes put on themselves. Caron is a good example of a player who helped his team mates when they struggled with confidence or were down on themselves.
Maybe Gilbert passes on those shots bc his strengths are driving and passing. Or he doesn’t want to rush the shot like Vital has been doing. But all that has nothing to do with Larriers comments

Reaction Score
Some of the plays were not smart but he had some open 3 point looks that were in the flow of play and he bricked them. I want him to take those.

Disagree about his defense being lazy. He's on par with Christian and Anderson imo although does not have the quick hands of Anderson. The worst defender currently is Gilbert. But by the end of the year I'd wager he'll be the best. Kid has amazingly quick hands. He could be the player this season to earn the "reach around bandit" moniker. Although Polley should give him a run for that title.

Gilbert is a ton better than Jalen on man, not close. Jalen leaves space and AG gets in the grill has the ability to cut the head off. We can agree to disagree here fleudy.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Maybe Gilbert passes on those shots bc his strengths are driving and passing. Or he doesn’t want to rush the shot like Vital has been doing. But all that has nothing to do with Larriers comments
Larrier's comments were weird by any stretch of the imagination. For all we know he had this vacant look when Taylor went to him and he tried to offer some stupid explanation for it.

This forum went with the statement and immediately made it into something that reinforced whatever negative feelings they have towards KO, TL or JA.

My defense may be implausible. But I'll stick with it over the need for people to use the statement as evidence for the slow starts thus giving them the right to make derogatory statements directed. Especially since the observations may not even be correct and we are looking for ways to assign blame.

I disagree with you about why he passed on those shots. He's got to take them. He made a couple in a row and they were decent shots. He's not Taliek by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe I'm being too subjective and am guilty of the same indiscretion I'm rebutting others, but after he hit that second three the kid seemed to play with more confidence.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Perhaps. But it gained legs by the fans in this forum. So are the fans idiots as well for parsing everything idiotic kids say?

Never said this message board was his rational for the statement. I used this thread as an example of how fans react to players and their play. But don't let me stop you from twisting my statement.
I guess I think it would be a mistake to read too much into the statement either way, but your theory seems like more of a stretch to me than taking the words at face value.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Larrier's comments were weird by any stretch of the imagination. For all we know he had this vacant look when Taylor went to him and he tried to offer some stupid explanation for it.

This forum went with the statement and immediately made it into something that reinforced whatever negative feelings they have towards KO, TL or JA.

My defense may be implausible. But I'll stick with it over the need for people to use the statement as evidence for the slow starts thus giving them the right to make derogatory statements directed. Especially since the observations may not even be correct and we are looking for ways to assign blame.

I disagree with you about why he passed on those shots. He's got to take them. He made a couple in a row and they were decent shots. He's not Taliek by any stretch of the imagination. Maybe I'm being too subjective and am guilty of the same indiscretion I'm rebutting others, but after he hit that second three the kid seemed to play with more confidence.

But your "defense" isn't a really defense, as much as it is attempting to support the narrative you've been pushing, i.e., assigning blame to Alterique.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Gilbert is a ton better than Jalen on man, not close. Jalen leaves space and AG gets in the grill has the ability to cut the head off. We can agree to disagree here fleudy.
We often agree so it's not a problem we diverge occasionally. I plan on watching the game again and will iso on Jalen's defense. I'm normally checking out the newer players and how they react to plays.

I did watch Alterique much more closely. I have no problem with a taller player taking advantage of Alteirque's height and shooting over him or any player for that matter if the player is defending closely. But there were several plays he was slow to close out on a player and more than a few times players drove into the lanes because he did not defend well. But when he hounds a player he is on par with Christian and Anderson and my projection is he'll be better than those two.

Jalen is slower on defense than those guys so he plays off his man more. But that's not laziness imo. I often see him fighting through screens and following his player. Alterique will hang nearer the basket whenever a player cuts to the opposite side of the court. It's his choice to help out players going to the rim as evidenced by his block of the BU player.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
But your "defense" isn't a really defense, as much as it is attempting to support the narrative you've been pushing, i.e., assigning blame to Alterique.
Not sure how you came to the conclusion I'm assigning blame to Alterique. I'm claiming a lot of posters in this forum are knocking the kid and insisting KO limit his playing time and that thinking is ridiculous. But I argued against that thinking in other threads. So perhaps I'm commingling the two arguments without predicating it on the original statements I made in another thread.

My position: Gilbert is a special player and UConn will go as far as his development and the development of one capable big. Terry, Christian, Anderson and Jalen are givens imo although they will not be at the top of their game every game. But that was the case of all good UConn teams. When one player had an off night there were two others who could step up.

My position: Terry made an asinine statement if we believe Taylor accurately quoted him. People are angry at the slow starts and are using the statement to direct their anger towards KO, Terry and Jalen because it's one thing to physically fail but it becomes a whole different matter if the attitude is bad which results in slow starts. IMO the statement is more than likely incorrect if you watch Jalen's play in the first ten minutes and incorrect if you watch Terry's play in the Colgate game.

So why did he make it? Maybe he went gaga over Taylor and was CHA or maybe my statement has some basis. However I don't need to defend it as you suggest. What I do know is watching the games the evidence does not support the statement. The weak link in the slow starts was Gilbert play on offense imo. But I support KO's decision to give the keys to the kid because I maintain he's an important cog for the overall season.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Not sure how you came to the conclusion I'm assigning blame to Alterique.

I guess I was relying on your own posts:

The worst defender currently is Gilbert.

His body language, his hesitation to take wide open threes early in the game, indicate to me Alterique may be struggling with confidence.

The weak link in the slow starts was Gilbert play on offense imo.

Didn't Gilbert have 14 points in the first half vs. Stony Brook, while Jalen had none? I didn't see it, but when I tuned in on the radio during the second half Joe D. was saying that Jalen was totally ineffective in the first half and that Alterique had kept us in the game.

Anywho, we agree that Alterique's development is important to this team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep. For those at the game or watching at a bar, Taylor Rooks reported that this is what Larrier told her. .

Ah, now I get it. He was chatting up Rooks.

"Yeah, Jalen and I are just bored at the start of games, you know with us being future NBAers and what not. I have some NBA draft predictions up in my room, if, you know, you'd like check them out."

Reaction Score
Need a more deliberate dynamic warm up, maybe.

It would be strange if it wasn’t so true. I agree, this needs to be figured out quickly. First problem is selfish play, guys start the game just jacking up shots. Only when they fall behind do they start playing team ball out of necessity.

They are too casual when they warm up. They need to be committed and someone also needs to light a blaze under these young men.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I guess I think it would be a mistake to read too much into the statement either way, but your theory seems like more of a stretch to me than taking the words at face value.

Yeah, people getting way too into this. I mean, not the best worded statement, sure, but it seems to me this was a case of recognizing and hopefully addressing a necessary area of improvement.

I mean, everybody pisses and moans (rightfully) about UCONN's slow starts. Terry was saying they are aware, and believes it's on him and Jalen to correct it. That's a good thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom