Larrier: Jalen and I feel lethargic at the start of games | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Larrier: Jalen and I feel lethargic at the start of games

Reaction Score
The newcomers have no problem bringing energy. Sack up or take a seat. Never seen a UConn player quote that made me think "wow, what a loser," but wow, what a loser.

In a thread full of over-the-top reactions, this one takes the cake. It was a throwaway comment to a reporter that could have meant a hundred different things and he probably didn't realize at the time that he was under the oath of the Boneyard.

Athletes talk in code all the time. They're constantly tossing around words like "momentum" and "intensity" to describe the ebb and flow of human emotion during competition. They use those words not to imply that they're not all-in all the time but to make note of how different people with different bodies respond differently to different environments. "Lethargic" is actually a common symptom of anxiety. For division one college basketball players whose futures depends on their performance, it's a lot more likely that there is a problem of compartmentalizing their hunger so that it doesn't cycle into exhaust by morning shoot around.

Adrenaline is automated by the body. Assuming the staff doesn't interpret these comments as myopically as the Boneyard, it's actually a good thing that Larrier has recognized this dynamic and sought a solution. I'm no expert in the field, but I'd imagine there are a number of things - from dietary adjustments to pregame routine to meditative technique - that could be adopted for a basketball program with the operating budget of UConn.

Reaction Score
We have a problem at the start of games and this goes back to last year and before. Layup line standing around and then dunking is not getting it done. The players are not warmed up shooting wise, so instead of the 11th and 12th players taking shots before the game our top 8 guys should be focused on working up a sweat and shooting right up to tip off. I realize it’s not the way it’s done but so what?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
In a thread full of over-the-top reactions, this one takes the cake. It was a throwaway comment to a reporter that could have meant a hundred different things and he probably didn't realize at the time that he was under the oath of the Boneyard.

Athletes talk in code all the time. They're constantly tossing around words like "momentum" and "intensity" to describe the ebb and flow of human emotion during competition. They use those words not to imply that they're not all-in all the time but to make note of how different people with different bodies respond differently to different environments. "Lethargic" is actually a common symptom of anxiety. For division one college basketball players whose futures depends on their performance, it's a lot more likely that there is a problem of compartmentalizing their hunger so that it doesn't cycle into exhaust by morning shoot around.

Adrenaline is automated by the body. Assuming the staff doesn't interpret these comments as myopically as the Boneyard, it's actually a good thing that Larrier has recognized this dynamic and sought a solution. I'm no expert in the field, but I'd imagine there are a number of things - from dietary adjustments to pregame routine to meditative technique - that could be adopted for a basketball program with the operating budget of UConn.
This has been an unintentionally fascinating thread for me, especially for observing the tendency of those posters who want to chastise others for a literal reading of the comment and dismiss it as a throwaway, yet simultaneously urge their own hidden or coded interpretation of the very same comment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We have a problem at the start of games and this goes back to last year and before. Layup line standing around and then dunking is not getting it done. The players are not warmed up shooting wise, so instead of the 11th and 12th players taking shots before the game our top 8 guys should be focused on working up a sweat and shooting right up to tip off. I realize it’s not the way it’s done but so what?
OT, but if you've ever coached you can tell your team's and player's focus during warm ups. That was always a sore point with me. Don't walk into a shot in warm ups. Take it like you mean it.

pj

Reaction Score
Ah, now I get it. He was chatting up Rooks.

"Yeah, Jalen and I are just bored at the start of games, you know with us being future NBAers and what not. I have some NBA draft predictions up in my room, if, you know, you'd like check them out."

"Yeah, Jalen and I are little lethargic at the start of games. We need some help with our pre-game warmup to heat us up, you know what I mean? [wink, wink]"

Reaction Score
Dear Terry,
You have the opportunity to start making a great living in about 6 months playing a game.....if you need help getting warmed up imagine having to really work the next 30 or 40 years. If you kick ass the next 4 months and prove worthy of a 1st round pick you'll be well on your way to never having to "work" a day in your life.

Now do yourself a favor and motivate yourself so UConn doesn't have to start every game in a 10 point hole while you and Jalen wake up from your slumbers.

wake.gif

Reaction Score
Please

Did he really say that...please..
.wake up and put that scholarship to use..no excuses take responsibilty and just get it done!

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

The thing is that the same game that quote was made, Jalen came out on fire. Maybe even too fired up. He missed everything early , but he was playing to win and playing very hard, the same way he did closing the previous game. I'll take the misses there because I want him coming out that aggressive every game. He will make more than he misses just stay the course.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom