Largest cash gift for bb practice facility | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Largest cash gift for bb practice facility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Geno's fans would be unhappy with that scenario. I think any "naming" accolades for JC will have to give Auriemma his rightful share.

Reaction Score
I think we should name the new practice facility the "Jeff Hathaway practice facility"
After all, his stalling this project is what Geno & Jim's "D" tries to do to their opponents

Reaction Score
I think Geno's fans would be unhappy with that scenario. I think any "naming" accolades for JC will have to give Auriemma his rightful share.

if i read the article correctly, there will be two courts - one for the men, one for the women. problem solved.

agree that both calhoun and geno deserve something more than a practice court. consider this a message out to all of the billionaire boneyarders, we need a new on-campus arena. two of them.

Reaction Score
This is all academic discussion. My assumption is that the Werths and the Administration will have the choice as to the name of any new structure.

Reaction Score
The master plan for the facility is listed, but not hyperlinked on populous.com, formerly hok sports. Hopefully we will see a real design in the new year

http://portfolio.populous.com/projects/collegiate/index.html

the athletic master plan that hok put together does not go into the details of the facility. in fact, it is quite outdated. the university links to it on their website: http://masterplan.uconn.edu/athletic master plan.pdf

i'd like to think that a football stadium on north campus is somewhere in the long-term plan, but alas.

i read in one of the articles that the werth's saw the blueprints for the new facility, so they are out there somewhere; though i have not been able to dig them up.

edit: there not their

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Werth's must have seen something. You don't drop 4.5M into an unknown, especially if the potential that your name adorns the facility exists.

Reaction Score
UConn is constantly pestering newly graduated students for money before they even get jobs, why can't we ask millionaire sports athletes to fork over some dough?
Exactly. That's my point also. Every graduate is asked to give money back to the school because supposedly the school helped them in life. Why are the basketball alumni any different when they actually got more out of the school than most graduates?

Reaction Score
if i read the article correctly, there will be two courts - one for the men, one for the women. problem solved.

agree that both calhoun and geno deserve something more than a practice court. consider this a message out to all of the billionaire boneyarders, we need a new on-campus arena. two of them.

Two bronze statues. Done.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why are the basketball alumni any different when they actually got more out of the school than most graduates?

Basketball players give more to the school as undergrads than any other students. That's why.

Reaction Score
Basketball players give more to the school as undergrads than any other students. That's why.
And that's relevant to graduate giving, why? The UConn foundation targets everyone else relentlessly. These are grads who gained tremendously from their time in Storrs. Why do they get a pass? It makes ZERO sense.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I love when the UConn Foundation calls me. I always tell them I made a $40,000 donation to them in the past and ask if they can look it up. They tell me they don't see any type of donation like that in my past, to which I reply that they should; it was called tuition. They can use that money as they need.

Reaction Score
Personally, I find that absurd. Is in effect saying they can't donate to their alma mater? Do I have that straight? How does this make sense?

It would be one thing if he said that he wouldn't strong arm them. That they had already done enough. But if they want to be part his advice is not to be? Whhaaa?

It is absurd.

Reaction Score
I love when the UConn Foundation calls me. I always tell them I made a $40,000 donation to them in the past and ask if they can look it up. They tell me they don't see any type of donation like that in my past, to which I reply that they should; it was called tuition. They can use that money as they need.

I went to the store yesterday. I had a bunch of groceries. They asked me to pay for them. I told them I paid for some groceries last week, look it up. They can use that money as they need. They just looked at me like I was crazy and had two heads.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And that's relevant to graduate giving, why? The UConn foundation targets everyone else relentlessly. These are grads who gained tremendously from their time in Storrs. Why do they get a pass? It makes ZERO sense.

What makes zero sense is you telling other people what they should do with their money. Isn't that against what you always preach?

Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that basketball players also attend UConn for free, unlike other students. Considering the price of tuition, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying, but keep in mind that basketball players also attend UConn for free, unlike other students. Considering the price of tuition, I'd say that's a pretty good deal.

Yeah, but you also have to keep in mind that these players are recruited to a school. They are doing a school a service just by their acceptance of an offer.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Exactly. They should receive requests the same as any student who attended UConn. They don't have to comply. And no one should insist they should. It's their money to do as they please. A lot of them are involved in charities, so they may have different priorities.

Reaction Score
How do we know that they don't get emails, letters, and phone calls? I'd guess that they do, or if they don't, it's because they don't keep UConn up to date with their contact information.

Reaction Score
Exactly. They should receive requests the same as any student who attended UConn. They don't have to comply. And no one should insist they should. It's their money to do as they please. A lot of them are involved in charities, so they may have different priorities.

Well, no one is talking about complying. People are saying they should be called. To an extent, if Calhoun calls, I imagine they'd feel coerced. But if it's just Pendergast, that's no difference than my alma mater calling me. I've even had old profs right me to contribute.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well, no one is talking about complying. People are saying they should be called. To an extent, if Calhoun calls, I imagine they'd feel coerced. But if it's just Pendergast, that's no difference than my alma mater calling me. I've even had old profs right me to contribute.

Hopefully it wasn't your English 101 prof.:D

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Thank you to the Werths. Can't forget Bobby B and the other donors either.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
I went to the store yesterday. I had a bunch of groceries. They asked me to pay for them. I told them I paid for some groceries last week, look it up. They can use that money as they need. They just looked at me like I was crazy and had two heads.

I advocate paying for all your purchases.

Here's the difference: I didn't go to the store and attempt to buy a bunch of groceries. I paid for my groceries last week and haven't needed any since.

I'm not saying don't donate if you wish to. I'm saying I shouldn't be called and asked to contribute.

Reaction Score
I advocate paying for all your purchases.

Here's the difference: I didn't go to the store and attempt to buy a bunch of groceries. I paid for my groceries last week and haven't needed any since.

I'm not saying don't donate if you wish to. I'm saying I shouldn't be called and asked to contribute.

So, in other words, you don't believe in charitable giving if someone asks you for it? Never mind the fact that your education was partly subsidized by other people's giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom