Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 196 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
Syracuse board before the Hurley return announcement
1718152456380.jpeg

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember what happened with the Billy Donovan - Orlando Magic kerfuffle? If I remember, they had a press conference to introduce him, then he reneged afterward. But maybe the press conf was to say he was staying at FL, I can’t remember.

Can you only imagine if that happened with Coach Hurley lol. Billy seemed a lot more conflicted about it than Dan.

Reaction Score
Anyone notice how much time ESPN (and other networks) are dedicating to talking about Danny, UConn and the Lakers offer? Molly rocking a UConn hat on First Take as well. I wonder if ESPN is thinking about the Big East.

View attachment 101571
Molly is a UConn alum. I went to school with her.

Reaction Score
"He was not the number one candidate" but he "chose to accept 20 million less to stay at UConn"? Seems like there's a little logical inconsistencies there. If he wasn't the number one candidate, i.e., the one they actually offered, then how could he choose not to accept the offer?
Hey may not have been the first, but he was probably there number one. I can’t wait to see the contract of whoever they sign. It won’t be higher than 6$/$70MM.
Syracuse board before the Hurley return announcement
View attachment 101590
I popped on their board a few times over the last few days. They went from excited that we’d be devastated as a fanbase and a program to petty that DH didn’t take the Lakers job. Calling him a coward and loser for not taking it. A handful said that DH has a low moral character and some posited that his low moral character was why the Lakers “lowballed” him with what would have been the sixth highest salary in the NBA. Just silly. They’ll be over here seeing us talking about them and get a rise out of it. Maybe they will get a BIG rise if Cuse makes the tournament this year or at least accepts their NIT bid.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember what happened with the Billy Donovan - Orlando Magic kerfuffle? If I remember, they had a press conference to introduce him, then he reneged afterward. But maybe the press conf was to say he was staying at FL, I can’t remember.

Can you only imagine if that happened with Coach Hurley lol. Billy seemed a lot more conflicted about it than Dan.
Last Friday, Donovan arrived in Orlando to a standing ovation from the Magic staff and was introduced as head coach. Later that afternoon he was whisked away to a farewell news conference in Gainesville. It was after that news conference that Donovan began to have second thoughts.

Then, Saturday morning, he awoke, according to those close to him, and felt he had made a mistake by signing the contract and accepting the job. He immediately wanted to return to the University of Florida. So, he called Foley, who was on his way to Richmond, Va., to likely offer the job to Donovan's former 10-year assistant, Anthony Grant of VCU. Foley never met with Grant and returned to Gainesville.

The Magic brass went to Gainesville Saturday night in an attempt to convince Donovan to stay, and the discussions continued into Sunday.

But Donovan insisted on returning to Florida and by Monday night had hired a lawyer to get him out of the contract.

Wednesday, all of the exit agreements were agreed upon and Donovan was allowed to return to the Gators.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don't see how the two relate and if you're the number 1 candidate I don't think it takes over a month after the Darvin Ham firing for an NBA franchise player to bring you in for a meeting and offer you a contract a couple weeks before the draft. I have no idea what the Lakers are doing with their coaching search but nothing about the way that story unfolded indicates that Hurley was "#1 coaching candidate from the start", per Woj's wording.
Yeah it’s seems pretty fishy. It has negotiation ploy written all over it and what better friend to have than basketball news breaker Woj to drum up a little leverage.

Reaction Score
Molly is a UConn alum. I went to school with her.

Oh I know but UConn isn't an ESPN school so I thought it was interesting that they spent so much time talking about us and letting Molly rock UConn gear on the air.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Why would the Lakers go along with this ruse? I mean Joe has a podcast, so he must be brilliant. But why would the Lakers temporarily pause on their pursuit of their real coach to help Danny get a better raise

Reaction Score
Why would the Lakers go along with this ruse? I mean Joe has a podcast, so he must be brilliant. But why would the Lakers temporarily pause on their pursuit of their real coach to help Danny get a better raise
Because they thought they could woo him after he and his agent expressed "interest"

Reaction Score

Who was it that reported we hadn't discussed his extension prior to the Lakers interest? I want their head on a pike

Reaction Score

Who was it that reported we hadn't discussed his extension prior to the Lakers interest? I want their head on a pike
I think it was Dana O'Neill that reported he didn't have a new contract on the table

Reaction Score

Not totally sure I believe this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmoothWilly
ad
ad2