Lakers preparing offer for Hurley | Page 143 | The Boneyard

Lakers preparing offer for Hurley

Reaction Score
Poor Lakers, can't stand the thought that the Celtics are in the Finals, and they're (the Lakers) aren't the 24x7 conversation on the sports talk shows this week, so they had to time this just now.

Reaction Score
The majority of posters under the Woj tweet think it means he stays…this includes the laker fans. It’s like 70-30 if you read through the replies. I think he stays.
I thought it read like a polite turn down to the Lakers. Why else would he give Woj a comment? If he was going to give him a story just give him the Yes. Get this out first, sign the extension at 9am tomorrow to make it official and then announce to the team that you're back.

My guess is that his mind "not being made up" is more that he hasn't signed anything yet and wants it official.

Reaction Score
More time to break BY thread records
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

Reaction Score
If he’s dead set on going pro eventually then he should just go now. I want him to stay but we can’t have this uncertainty for the next few years. If Luke were to take over and we have a solid year then we’re in good shape. That’s our best bet of keeping the roster intact and moving forward.

Reaction Score
This is definitely starting to smell calibrated from Hurley and his agent. Not to say he's trying to do anything bad but this is very thin information from Woj while also acknowledging a nice offer from the Lakers. If it was a slam dunk offer and opportunity wouldn't he have signed on the dotted line and we'd have known yesterday. Uconn might have an offer at $7-8 mil on the table and this might be the push to get to highest paid CBB coach.

If he were going I don't think this would have gone on this long and the media release on this smells funny now. Unless he truly wants to wait to tell his players before anyone else but that easily could have happened yesterday or today.

This doesn't pass the smell test anymore.

Reaction Score
I think he’s gone. Putting this out there now, saying he loves what he’s built, etc.

He wants to be able to tell the players tomorrow.
I don’t feel good about this anymore
Why? I feel more optimistic than before. First off, He looked like he didn’t have a care in the world last night, not as if he was about to gut punch his players, the university, and the state. Second, If he was leaving he woulda announced it by now. The lakers deal was easy. Sign on the dotted line for $100 milly. The UConn deal is complicated and Its not surprising it’s taken a couple days to iron out. Third, Unless he’s a compete hypocrite he follows the advice he gave karaban, if you’re not 100% positive you stay where you are. Fourth, I think he woulda had more than a single meeting with the lakers if he was gonna take the job to Tour the arena and training facilities, more wining and dining, etc

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would imagine he’s asking to get the money up otherwise he has to leave if the number is no where comparable…..he’s had two days to think about it- would imagine there is nothing else to think about but trying to get UConn to get the number up so he can be at peace with staying logically….

Reaction Score
Describing the Lakers pitch as a “compelling case” has to be the most lukewarm description imaginable lol

If he was going he would’ve told the team today to prevent any possibility of a leak. We’re going to lose Hurley to the NBA someday, maybe even someday soon. But not tomorrow.

Reaction Score
Per Adrian Woj,

UConn coach Dan Hurley plans to make a decision on his future Monday, he tells ESPN. Lakers made a "compelling case" to him in LA but he loves what he's built with the two-time defending national champions and is weighing it all now
Thanks

Reaction Score
Don't be, all his practice in prior threads has lead up to this moment in this big thread. Think of it like an athlete practicing for 4 years for the Olympics.

I have taken screenshot of my post where he liked it. It's my participation that I am hanging on the wall.
same. this doesn't come along every day. #wentotodinner12spagesbehindnow

Reaction Score
My pessimistic side thinks the NBA asked him to not overshadow the Finals game if he's decided on the Lakers.

The optimistic side thinks he's using every last minute before his next practice because leaving is too difficult for him.

But it also feels unlikely he doesn't know by now. He didn't look stressed last night.
The optimistic take is that his people are hammering out a deal with UConn and he gave them the weekend to do that

Reaction Score
If he does sign we’ll all need to take a step back and try to process how crazy it is that our coach turned down Kentucky and the LAKERS in the same offseason to stay in Storrs. For less money!

And then frankly it’s all gravy. If he leaves in a year or two or three, I never want to hear how Dan Hurley is disloyal. This would be maybe the strongest show of loyalty to a program that any modern coach could display.
If he stays, all those posters who questioned his character should be hung up (some of which I historically respected).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom