Lady Vols European Tour | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols European Tour

Reaction Score
I sure hope the ugliness is over between the fan bases....It was ridiculous.

You mean the UConn and Tenn fan bases?

Uhhhhh N O.

Perhaps when Geno gets an apology for the baseless accusations against him.
Your move LVs.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Virginia Tech, who didnt even make the ncaa tourny last season, beat this same parisian select team 101-27 the day before. I think tennessee fans should prolly temper expectations because it could be another disappointing season..

Reaction Score
It's a good sign that they went 3-0, but I don't know how much you can expect in a coach's first year at a different school. She is bringing in a new system with players she didn't recruit. You just never know how it will all turn out, but a lot of people will be tuned in to see what happens.

As far as long term, it's extremely rare for any program to return to elite status once the elite coach is gone. AL football did it, but they got a sitting head coach from a program where he had already won a NC.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
As far as long term, it's extremely rare for any program to return to elite status once the elite coach is gone. AL football did it, but they got a sitting head coach from a program where he had already won a NC.

I definitely think they could return to elite status if they get the right coach, but it remains to be seen if they did that with this most recent hire. I'm leaning towards they didn't. She has a fairly modest record at 3 different schools over a 15 year period, hasn't even won 60% of her games at any of the 3 schools. Her tenure at NC State is particularly troubling, especially when you consider what Wes Moore has done there since. Winners win at every level. I think it's extremely rare to find a coach with mediocre results over a period of time who suddenly starts winning at a higher clip. We'll see.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I definitely think they could return to elite status if they get the right coach, but it remains to be seen if they did that with this most recent hire. I'm leaning towards they didn't. She has a fairly modest record at 3 different schools over a 15 year period, hasn't even won 60% of her games at any of the 3 schools. Her tenure at NC State is particularly troubling, especially when you consider what Wes Moore has done there since. Winners win at every level. I think it's extremely rare to find a coach with mediocre results over a period of time who suddenly starts winning at a higher clip. We'll see.
How dare you show logic and give a sense of reality to VolNation! They won’t listen and will continue this sense of delusion with their program. It’s not like there are 2/3 other great coaches in the SEC now who can recruit and coach better than Tennessee now, oh wait, there is...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Winners win at every level. I think it's extremely rare to find a coach with mediocre results over a period of time who suddenly starts winning at a higher clip. We'll see.

They took a page from the LSU book when we hired Ed Orgeron, ignore track record, hope and pray.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
They took a page from the LSU book when we hired Ed Orgeron, ignore track record, hope and pray.

I think Tennessee got too caught up with hiring someone with ties to the program. Eventually they are going to have to get past that.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I think Tennessee got too caught up with hiring someone with ties to the program. Eventually they are going to have to get past that.
Sound advice I only hope will get applied by the Athletic Department at UConn when Geno and CD ride off into the sunset, lest we earn the same fate as the men’s team...

Reaction Score
Sound advice I only hope will get applied by the Athletic Department at UConn when Geno and CD ride off into the sunset, lest we earn the same fate as the men’s team...
Only 1 coach that I believe could slide into UCONN and keep the machine humming....and I hope he never leaves Corvallis.

Reaction Score

I think its great to hire someone as a coach when they do have ties to the program but that in reality needs to back on the back burner. Look at their track record and qualifications first. This "one of us" reasoning is a horrible reason to hire someone. If they are qualified and have some ties, go for it. I am extremely skeptical of Harpers track record, especially with what went down at NC State. She will be working with a lot better talent and resources, so she could be successful. Maybe she has changed? Time will tell, on paper it was a very underwhelming hire. She never even won her conference at a mid tier program. Drake won that conference the last few years in a row, was that coach not a candidate?

Honestly, Banghart from Princeton would have been higher on my list if I was the Tennessee AD. The fact that the search only revolved around only female candidates with Summitt ties was not very smart.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Only 1 coach that I believe could slide into UCONN and keep the machine humming....and I hope he never leaves Corvallis.
That’s one of the guys I was thinking of with his only chink being the lack of getting top 5 players to commit to his program. The UConn legacy would help with that aspect.

Reaction Score
I think its great to hire someone as a coach when they do have ties to the program but that in reality needs to back on the back burner. Look at their track record and qualifications first. This "one of us" reasoning is a horrible reason to hire someone. If they are qualified and have some ties, go for it. I am extremely skeptical of Harpers track record, especially with what went down at NC State. She will be working with a lot better talent and resources, so she could be successful. Maybe she has changed? Time will tell, on paper it was a very underwhelming hire. She never even won her conference at a mid tier program. Drake won that conference the last few years in a row, was that coach not a candidate?

Honestly, Banghart from Princeton would have been higher on my list if I was the Tennessee AD. The fact that the search only revolved around only female candidates with Summitt ties was not very smart.
Harper took Southwest Missouri St to the Sweet 16 and they played Stanford close was one of the main reasons that Tennessee hired her (along with her being a Tenn alum) and Banghart and a few other mid major coaches never reached the Sweet 16. Plus they said Bill Belichek wasn't a a great coach when he coached the Cleveland Browns and look what he did when he went to New England.

We will compare and contrast Harper at Tennessee and Banghart at UNC to see who will more successful in rebuilding those programs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Harper took Southwest Missouri St to the Sweet 16 and they played Stanford close was one of the main reasons that Tennessee hired her

It was certainly a nice run by Missouri St. She'd never gotten out of the first round previously as a coach, so it's not like she made a habit out of it.

We will compare and contrast Harper at Tennessee and Banghart at UNC to see who will more successful in rebuilding those programs.

Well Tennesee and UNC are apples and oranges, so a direct comparison might not be all that telling. Top recruits kept flocking to Knoxville all during Warlick's tenure despite her clearly demonstrated coaching deficiencies. There clearly is a much stronger draw there than to Chapel Hill among HS prospects, making rebuilding an easier proposition.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Harper took Southwest Missouri St to the Sweet 16 and they played Stanford close was one of the main reasons that Tennessee hired her (along with her being a Tenn alum) and Banghart and a few other mid major coaches never reached the Sweet 16. Plus they said Bill Belichek wasn't a a great coach when he coached the Cleveland Browns and look what he did when he went to New England.

Well there should be some clarity given for a clearer perspective: KJH actually coached at 3 places- Western Carolina: 5 yrs at 97-65 with 2 NCAA/2 NIT, NC State for 4 yrs at 70-64 with 1 NCAA/2 NIT and Missouri St for 6 yrs 118-79 with 2 NCAA/3 NIT. Overall record 285-208 for a .578 win percentage. Of the 7 NITs she has been to the second round 4 times. So in 15 years of coaching, she’s been to 5 NCAAT, +7 NIT for 12 postseason appearances. This data says, “good coach”, not “great coach”, so if her resume did not have “Tennessee Lady Vol player” on it, I highly doubt she would have gotten an interview never mind the actual HC job. To bring in the name of Bill Belichek is just silly. He didn’t draft the Browns players nor sign the free agents, he was handed chicken s*&t and told to make chicken salad. Not going to happen. KJH resume says her team will win 19-20 games per year, lose 12-14 games per year. Is that enough for VolNation? I know it’s perfect for me, as a UConn fan...:D

Reaction Score
That’s one of the guys I was thinking of with his only chink being the lack of getting top 5 players to commit to his program. The UConn legacy would help with that aspect.

Don't care who comes in after Geno to coach as long as he/she can recruit "bigs". :rolleyes:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Well there should be some clarity given for a clearer perspective: KJH actually coached at 3 places- Western Carolina: 5 yrs at 97-65 with 2 NCAA/2 NIT, NC State for 4 yrs at 70-64 with 1 NCAA/2 NIT and Missouri St for 6 yrs 118-79 with 2 NCAA/3 NIT. Overall record 285-208 for a .578 win percentage. Of the 7 NITs she has been to the second round 4 times. So in 15 years of coaching, she’s been to 5 NCAAT, +7 NIT for 12 postseason appearances. This data says, “good coach”, not “great coach”, so if her resume did not have “Tennessee Lady Vol player” on it, I highly doubt she would have gotten an interview never mind the actual HC job. To bring in the name of Bill Belichek is just silly. He didn’t draft the Browns players nor sign the free agents, he was handed chicken s*&t and told to make chicken salad. Not going to happen. KJH resume says her team will win 19-20 games per year, lose 12-14 games per year. Is that enough for VolNation? I know it’s perfect for me, as a UConn fan...:D
I think it's also about the position. At Tennessee Harper can get better players. I doubt Horston would have went to SW Missouri.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I think it's also about the position. At Tennessee Harper can get better players. I doubt Horston would have went to SW Missouri.

The 2020 recruits dont seem to be all that enthralled with kellie and her staff. Angel Reese might be Tennessee's best chance at a top recruit and if Reese doesnt happen, tennessee could lay a big recruiting egg for 2020

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom