Lady Vols - 2012-13 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols - 2012-13

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

- - - - -

Your understanding is completely correct. BigO obviously knows nothing of NCAA regulations - or else he thinks Tennessee will ignore them.

pat summitt is going to be a force right now with recruiting. she can write, email, and schedule one on one visits. many of you might think that holly taking over will be bad for recruiting...however, there will be talented girls who want to be mentored by pat and be one of the last college basketball players to learn from the legend herself.

Reaction Score
Yes the TN fan base as a whole I have always thought to be beyond reproach and believing nothing but their own story. How long have they harped on Maya's ESPN tour setup, but nary a mention of Pat's pictured meeting with Meighan Simmons under the stands at a recruiting visit when only incidental contact was allowed. Both were termed "secondary" violations. Plenty of TN yap about the abhorrant behavior of Griner leaving the bench during the latter stretches of last month's UT - BU NCAA game, but never a mention of Stricklen's disparaging taunting of a prone Sims during the same incident. I think TN fans more than any other group are extremely self righteous.... like "we do everything the correct and honest way and everyone else is a step behind".... at least that is the impression I get.

Replicant your points are well taken.... Pat deserves to work into a role which is to her choosing and maintains her dignity.... I recall from her news conference I think .... the fact that she will still be at the practices and still be yelling at the kids..... if I were in charge there, this would still seem to be a "co-coaching" setup..... Hopefully the overall situation there will work out for them.

too tired to debunk that madness

Reaction Score
Is it true that Tenn has "on many occasions out-performed their seed in the NCAA tournament." It seems to me to have been the reverse, at least lately.

I don't see how Tenn could have done otherwise than upgrade the assistant coach and let Pat stay: but, it is the worst possible situation for the programs success.

I read that Holly has a four year contract. I see Tenn dropping rapidly because recruiting will suffer and a lack of good coaching will diminish the success of the program with the players they do get.

Tenn needs a coach with the gravitas to recruit and skills to produce a well-coached team. I don't think that any top level coach will go to Tenn with Pat on the scene. Perhaps, they have tried, without success. But, again, I don't see how Tenn could have gone against Pat's apparent wish to stay.

see this is the type of comment that makes lady vols fans laugh. it shows a complete lack of understanding of how tradition, loyalty, and the lady vol family works. we don't just fire everyone and start over. holly is an all-american, has been with UT for decades, is from knoxville, and a local basketball legend from her high school days. that may be the way you want UCONN to handle things when Geno retires but TN basketball doesn't, thankfully, work that way.

Reaction Score
Big O Sorry you are too tired to "debunk madness".... perhaps when you aren't tired....

Reaction Score
Itsasport's comments may make Lady Vol fans laugh, but they are appropriate. Holly was essentially given the keys last year, and brought in 9 losses with an uber-talented senior class. She seemed confused on the bench at times. I do not question the ultimate decision they made going forward, but I certainly think a fresh beginning - given the coach's and player's individual and interactive results last year - should have been put on the table as a viable option. For all I know it was.

Reaction Score
pat summitt is going to be a force right now with recruiting. she can write, email, and schedule one on one visits. many of you might think that holly taking over will be bad for recruiting...however, there will be talented girls who want to be mentored by pat and be one of the last college basketball players to learn from the legend herself.

Assuming Tennesse follows NCAA rules, she can only "visit" a player when they are already making an on-campus visit. Additionally, her ability to write and/or email recruits is very limited at best.

Reaction Score
Big O - Does this jive with your understanding of the abilities of her new position? I think Pat has a track record of doing things the right way and will be as involved as she is allowed to be.

Reaction Score
Itsasport's comments may make Lady Vol fans laugh, but they are appropriate. Holly was essentially given the keys last year, and brought in 9 losses with an uber-talented senior class. She seemed confused on the bench at times. I do not question the ultimate decision they made going forward, but I certainly think a fresh beginning - given the coach's and player's individual and interactive results last year - should have been put on the table as a viable option. For all I know it was.

what a crude comment. holly has been pat's best friend for years. she was stepping in and playing the role of an assistant coach, a head coach, and someone whose friend has suddenly been dealt a life-ending illness. and you say she seem confused? they ALL were confused. to be frank- pat is dying. should they just skip into the locker room?

Reaction Score
I don't think that any top level coach will go to Tenn with Pat on the scene. Perhaps, they have tried, without success. But, again, I don't see how Tenn could have gone against Pat's apparent wish to stay.
You're so right itsasport, who would want the job under those conditions. There will be a honeymoon period for Pat and Holly. But, I predict that if the Lady Vols start losing, the Honeymoon will be short lived and Pat and Holly will be history. That's how TN apparently operates. Look at what happened to Bruce Pearl last year after losing 8 of the last 12 games and then got slaughtered by Michigan. Only took 3 days for them to fire Pearl.

Reaction Score
how do i know nothing about NCAA regulations? did i say pat will be camping out in the front yard of promising recruits? uh no. try reading the comments before assuming things.

Unfortunately I did read your comment where you said Pat "will be recruiting her tail off now that she has even more time."

Under NCAA rules, she is not allowed to recruit at all. And she can only talk to a recruit on the phone if the recruit initiates the call and the call is NOT for recruiting purposes. There are also restrictions on e-mail.

You said she "will be recruiting her tail off". So either you don't know NCAA regulations - or else you think Tennessee will cheat. Those are the only logical conclusions based on your own post.

Reaction Score
You're so right itsasport, who would want the job under those conditions. There will be a honeymoon period for Pat and Holly. But, I predict that if the Lady Vols start losing, the Honeymoon will be short lived and Pat and Holly will be history. That's how TN apparently operates. Look at what happened to Bruce Pearl last year after losing 8 of the last 12 games and then got slaughtered by Michigan. Only took 3 days for them to fire Pearl.

BINGO: we now have the most ridiculous comment after 11 pages of comments about the lady vols next season.

"who would want the job "

Reaction Score
Big O - Oh please! I am not trying to incite a riot here, nor disparage your program. Honestly, Holly looked confused often last year. Taking the emotion out of it, don't know how one could argue otherwise, unless it is a question of degree. If I had seniors Vicki, Glory, Shekinna, Alicia, and Bass..... and supporting crew, I wouldn't be losing to ARK, SC, UVA, etc.....and chalk up 9 L's for the year.... KY I can see, they are on the rise, but your league wasn't to the strength that Holly and staff shouldn't have won with what they had to work with.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately I did read your comment where you said Pat "will be recruiting her tail off now that she has even more time."

Under NCAA rules, she is not allowed to recruit at all. And she can only talk to a recruit on the phone if the recruit initiates the call and the call is NOT for recruiting purposes. There are also restrictions on e-mail.

You said she "will be recruiting her tail off". So either you don't know NCAA regulations - or else you think Tennessee will cheat. Those are the only logical conclusions based on your own post.

SHE CAN RECRUIT. i figured if i put it in caps you might get it. funny that you don't think she can "recruit at all", even though you say she can talk to recruits on the phone. of course, there are limitations. what's your point? my head is spinning from the nonsensical comments tonight.

Reaction Score
ok so the conversion has officially went down the toilet. later

Reaction Score
Big O - Read some of your own posts..... you can get pretty bombastic and sarcastic with the best of them. I hope when you return you will defend your thoughts, not just hit and run.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Under the NCAA rules unless she is designated as one of the three recruiters that is all very unlikely because it would all be a major violation of the rules. If she is so designated then TN places themselves in tight constraints. BigO you need to extensively read the NCAA rules regarding what you are suggesting. Your comments do not fit within those rules.

Reaction Score
there are 12 pages of comments about the lady vols next season. (which is really flattering might i add)

as for my posts, i NEVER trash talk your players, your coach, or your school. i don't think many of the last posters can say the same. that doesn't mean that i don't feel compelled to respond to some of the made up facts and nonsense that is posted here.

obviously, i am a lady vols fan. my views are much different than yours.

JS

Reaction Score
Under the NCAA rules unless she is designated as one of the three recruiters that is all very unlikely because it would all be a major violation of the rules. If she is so designated then TN places themselves in tight constraints. BigO you need to extensively read the NCAA rules regarding what you are suggesting. Your comments do not fit within those rules.
Big O said she could have one-on-one meetings with recruits, and write and email them. There's no context of time and place.

Now compare the announced duties of the Coach Emeritus under Recruiting. Do you feel they're unworkable, icebear, unless Ms. Summitt is a designated recruiter? Has there been any indication whether she is or isn't? And, if she is, are the "tight constraints" simply that it leaves only two to go recruiting off-campus and do anything else that she will not be doing?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
My understanding o the rules which may admittedly be one of interpretation is that anything beyond a meet and greet even on campus is beyond the limits unless designated as a recruiter or serving in a capacity related to academics.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Time to end this mess. I'm sorry to the UConn fans that wished to discuss a Top 10 team - on their own board - but can't due to a locked thread. I just don't like the tone this one is taking. Feel free to start a new thread and hopefully ALL participants (note the caps, please) are civil.

JS

Reaction Score
as for my posts, i NEVER trash talk your players, your coach, or your school.
Actually, within the past day you've posted implied aspersions on Diana's character and UConn's observance of NCAA regulations, both posts straight out of the "culture" of your home board and both deleted.

The other day I told someone you're a bit snippy and sarcastic -- at least when provoked and maybe a bit beyond that -- but that you weren't a troll. I've questioned that judgment a couple of times since then, but for now am sticking with it.

You're doing something that isn't easy to do well. Based on evidence to date, you're not the best at it, because of your tone and your tendency to go (or be lured) off the path of substantive discussion into terse sparring, but you aren't the worst either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom