2022 Recruiting: - Kyle Filipowski update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Kyle Filipowski update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The part of the video that struck home with me was the statement about how well he would fit with a less mobile "five".........PERFECTLY.
What a front court it would be: DC, KF, and AK.

Reaction Score
The part of the video that struck home with me was the statement about how well he would fit with a less mobile "five".........PERFECTLY.
What a front court it would be: DC, KF, and AK.
akok isnt a SF anyways so that lineup won't be missed. EDIT- unless you meant alex karaban. the offensive firepower would be great but the D would be suspect.

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Pre-season awards are often the result of name recognition and don't really mean much. It'd be interesting to know how many end up as the actual POY.
The last 3 Big East pre season POY have been Zeg, Myles Powell, and Shamorie Ponds. ACC Pre-season POY over the years have included Marcus Paige, Grayson Allen, and Malcolm Brogdon. All pretty damn good basketball players.

Reaction Score
From a UConn perspective based on roster construction/need. Karaban>>> Flip.

Why you might ask? Our depth at the 4/5( for the next 2-3 seasons) does not allow Flip to be featured. He wants to be a featured player..Not a role player

AK's skill set/talent at the 3/4 is much more valuable to the team DH has assembled.

BTW.. No one knows the talent on our roster(at the 4/5) better than Flip.

Scheyer is selling him on being the Guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Why you might ask? Our depth at the 4/5( for the next 2-3 seasons) does not allow Flip to be featured. He wants to be a featured player..Not a role player

AK's skill set/talent at the 3/4 is much more valuable to the team DH has assembled.

Not sure I agree. If you're Flip you have to feel you can go almost anywhere and be starting by end of your Freshman year. If I'm UConn I take him in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
The last 3 Big East pre season POY have been Zeg, Myles Powell, and Shamorie Ponds. ACC Pre-season POY over the years have included Marcus Paige, Grayson Allen, and Malcolm Brogdon. All pretty damn good basketball players.

Ok we get it you are infatuated with the ACC. I’m with those who aren’t impressed with Hurt like many other Dukies overrated. He shoots better overall than I saw but I know I saw a soft, awful defender for sure so we all have our opinions. All good.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree. If you're Flip you have to feel you can go almost anywhere and be starting by end of your Freshman year. If I'm UConn I take him in a heartbeat.
we have sanogo, akok, samson, clingan and springs at the 4/5 we dont need a sixth big man. a big wing that can shoot is a much better fit since we'll only have aj (who cant shoot) and hawk (who isnt really big).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we have sanogo, akok, samson, clingan and springs at the 4/5 we dont need a sixth big man. a big wing that can shoot is a much better fit since we'll only have aj (who cant shoot) and hawk (who isnt really big).
He'd be the first or second best out of that lot. We can disagree.

Reaction Score
Hurt is really not that good. Tall, soft and can’t guard a chair. Can shoot it a little (or a lot) but never impressed. Hope for his sake he’s better.
Agreed wholeheartedly, was supposed to be a knockdown shooter but from what I’ve seen he is a good jump shooter but not elite especially by the League’s standards

Reaction Score
Weird take, but ok. No argument on defense but the dude shot 44% from 3...he can shoot
I saw the same thing, every duke game I tuned into I just didn’t see “elite” shooter, or player for that matter, the kid can play a lil though

Reaction Score
He's probably going to be preseason ACC POY, just an FYI.
That means nothing just a lil preseason hype for a former top 10 player in his class, i feel like the other dudes but maybe we ain’t see enough

Reaction Score
I saw the same thing, every duke game I tuned into I just didn’t see “elite” shooter, or player for that matter, the kid can play a lil though

Oh yeah I’d be happy with a player like him don’t get me wrong but it’s just not what I hear and read that’s all. He didn’t stay in the draft?

Reaction Score
Oh yeah I’d be happy with a player like him don’t get me wrong but it’s just not what I hear and read that’s all. He didn’t stay in the draft?
Projections I seen had him in that mid 2nd range

Reaction Score
akok isnt a SF anyways so that lineup won't be missed. EDIT- unless you meant alex karaban. the offensive firepower would be great but the D would be suspect.
Karaban. Akok is AA.

Reaction Score
My point was really a question as to how many ended the year as POY?

Reaction Score

I certainly agree on Karaban and the 4/5 depth, but question if a player who is very talented and is someone you say wants to be "the guy" would shy away from UConn because of excess talent on the roster compared to Duke's typical roster.
If KF thinks he's really good, why would he not fear Duke's roster?
And, if he believes he's really good, I would think he'd be most concerned about the system at a school, the coaching he'll receive, the level of competition and the exposure that will help build his brand.

Reaction Score
Good points, especially because this is not a typical UConn roster loaded with experienced high quality guards and small forwards.
We are big heavy, but RS has been here two years and hardly seen the floor, AA is a wild card due to the serious injury he experienced, and Samson and Clingan are unknowns. All five could be meaningful parts of the team this year, but we won't know for about 8 months.
I like KF for his athleticism and versatility and hoped we'd find room for him.

Reaction Score
Good points, especially because this is not a typical UConn roster loaded with experienced high quality guards and small forwards.
We are big heavy, but RS has been here two years and hardly seen the floor, AA is a wild card due to the serious injury he experienced, and Samson and Clingan are unknowns. All five could be meaningful parts of the team this year, but we won't know for about 8 months.
I like KF for his athleticism and versatility and hoped we'd find room for him.

Clingan won’t be a “known” for about 16 months but you’re point is well taken. AA bouncing back will be a huge piece of who our Huskies will be this year I believe.

Reaction Score
I certainly agree on Karaban and the 4/5 depth, but question if a player who is very talented and is someone you say wants to be "the guy" would shy away from UConn because of excess talent on the roster compared to Duke's typical roster.
If KF thinks he's really good, why would he not fear Duke's roster?
And, if he believes he's really good, I would think he'd be most concerned about the system at a school, the coaching he'll receive, the level of competition and the exposure that will help build his brand.
Flip is clearly a talented player. He seems to be as excited about his Duke recruitment --in his public statements-- as AK appears to be about UConn.If some of our existing Bigs have breakout years this year (ie Sanogo/AA) would they be moving on to the next level?? We don't know right now but it would open up PT for Flip's freshman year if in Storrs.

I believe DH and staff are really excited about their stable of Bigs for 21/22 and see the greater need for shooters/scorers at the guard and wing/SF slots for 2022 openings. Their targets for 23 at the 3/4 positions also look pretty strong.

But "stuff" happens and things change.

It's great to be talking about talented kids wanting to come to Storrs again and be part of the next push for a NC.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Ok we get it you are infatuated with the ACC. I’m with those who aren’t impressed with Hurt like many other Dukies overrated. He shoots better overall than I saw but I know I saw a soft, awful defender for sure so we all have our opinions. All good.
No, some of us are just more realistic than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom