2022 Recruiting: - Kyle Filipowski Update | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Kyle Filipowski Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Want.

He should be our priority at the 4/5. I'm going to be pretty peeved if we miss out because the staff didn't decide to priorritize him until now. I think they kinda blew it not recognizing him earlier regardless of what happens. It has been apparent this kid was a talent since the 2019 nepsac tourny 2 years ago.

Need to wow him on this June visit

Reaction Score
He should be our priority at the 4/5. I'm going to be pretty peeved if we miss out because the staff didn't decide to priorritize him until now. I think they kinda blew it not recognizing him earlier regardless of what happens. It has been apparent this kid was a talent since the 2019 nepsac tourny 2 years ago.

I may be mistaken but I believe we were one of his first offers. We offered him over a year ago. I’m not sure how hard they were recruiting him from the get go.

Reaction Score

Hoping the pre existing relationship with Murray is very strong.

Reaction Score
I may be mistaken but I believe we were one of his first offers. We offered him over a year ago. I’m not sure how hard they were recruiting him from the get go.

We barely recruited him until Murray arrived.

If he can pull this one off I'd give the guy 100k raise. Fillipowski is a hell of a player and fits our offense/defense better than anyone we're recruiting.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Him and SJ front court would give opposing coaches nightmares

Reaction Score
This may sound dumb, but I’m curious. Obviously there are a lot of offers out, but when these recruits are offered on over a year or two ago and the staff just starts recruiting them harder. Is that like an offer that is acceptable whenever they’re ready or are they told it’s contingent upon other things/priority recruits? I know they go through the process, but if they offered him a year ago and he wanted to commit on the spot, would that have happened?

Reaction Score
Is it wrong to want Filipowski more than Clinga

...nope we need a shooter more than a big.
No GIF

Reaction Score

Is it possible DH was so focused on "athletic ability" that he didn't even look seriously at guys like Filipowski and Karaban until recently?

Reaction Score
Is it possible DH was so focused on "athletic ability" that he didn't even look seriously at guys like Filipowski and Karaban until recently?

No idea. If I were to guess, this last season probably just made him realize we need more shooters than he thought. Getting our asses kicked by teams like 'Nova and Creighton because they could shoot is tough. Another couple of shooters when Bouk went down would've given us a couple more Ws, potentially. You get the idea. Shooters are insurance for when your stars don't play well. Shooters help you score when everything else is going wrong. Shooting is the #1 #2 and #3 most important skill for any player under 6'10.

I want us to maintain our dominance on the offense boards, and to be bigger and badder than everyone else on defense still. It's our identity and it's a hell of a lot of fun to watch. But the reality is that in 2021, you need more shooters than we had. Making sure that we can throw 3-4 35%+ shooters on the floor for 40 minutes a game will make us that much better. Guys like Andre and BAdams are going by the wayside in the modern game (though I do think Andre has so many other skills that he can still be an asset)

It SEEMS like Coach has figured that we need shooters with the direction our recruiting has gone. Next step will be to do a better job with the hard hedging. Seems like we plan to add a better press as well from recent interviews. We can't fit square pegs (Sanogo, Clingan) into round holes like we can with Whaley or Johnson or Akok--those guys are great at the hard hedge. Scheming so that bigs who do thrive in the hard hedge can do that, and then keeping our slower bigs out of foul-inducing situations that pull them from the hoop is important for us next year. You do that by ALSO teaching drop coverages, and manipulating matchups to our benefit in the game, etc.

Later in the season when Sanogo was abusing the big east but needed to stay out of foul trouble, it looked to me like coach had started that process with him. Hopefully it continues next year--we need him for 25-30 minutes a game in the post.

IMO, with more shooters and a sensible plan for defense, coupled with our excellent recruiting, I don't see why we can't be a staple in the AP Poll for the foreseeable future.

Reaction Score
Who wants to play at UConn? DC or Filo? Whoever commits first will dictate the style of play for the next few years. Filo reminds me of Chet H going to Zags.

IMO.. They cannot coexist on the court at the same time.. One or the other..

There--I said it..

We win either way.Just a different style of offense/defense

Reaction Score
I’m in that camp right now
Was it wrong for the Celtics to have wanted (and gotten) Kevin McHale over Joe Barry Carroll?

Mobility and a multi-faceted skill set has long-term benefits.

Not saying Filo is McHale or that Clingan is Joe Barry, but just comparing an approach.

Reaction Score
Who wants to play at UConn? DC or Filo? Whoever commits first will dictate the style of play for the next few years. Filo reminds me of Chet H going to Zags.

IMO.. They cannot coexist on the court at the same time.. One or the other..

There--I said it..

We win either way.Just a different style of offense/defense
Honestly, I'd rather have Flip and Karaban. We could most definitely stretch the floor then. But, don't get me wrong, I would love to have DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom