2022 Recruiting: - Kyle Filipowski Update | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Kyle Filipowski Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think it's about need. With Whaley and Polley leaving, and Springs probably not being a contributor, we have a bunch of time available at the 4/5, potentially. Akok/Johnson/Sanogo could be a great rotation but there's room for at least 1 more big. At that point we'd have a sophomore Diggins for a PG and Hawkins/Floyd to play the 2. I would imagine we want 1 more combo-type guard in 2022 if at all possible, or else a transfer.

Karaban is almost a direct replacement for Rese and Polley. I think we have a great pitch to him.

Clingan can only play the 5, same as Sanogo. He'll need to be sold on playing the backup for a year, maybe even 3rd string behind Johnson.

I think Filipowski is probably more 5 than 4 in college, but can play both. He would play really well with Johnson. It would allow him to defend the 5 on defense, and play the 4 on offense--big mismatch potential. IDK if he and Clingan are quite compatible. I haven't seen enough to say that for certain though.

No inside info at all. Just guessing.
Appreciate the insight...and I know I might be putting the cart before the horse thinking all these guys are realistic and we can get them all. If clingan isn’t coming here maybe that’s the avenue for filipowski and then the 4th man is that guard to round out the group. Only having one ball handler would be a concern.
I do like your idea of how Johnson and filipowski would pair. Gonna be fun to follow.

Reaction Score

Duke is the one on that list that scares me. OSU and Indiana could be tough. Personally not worried about Iowa or Cuse, but that's just a gut feeling.

The big thing is getting the visit--anything can happen once you get them on campus. Our staff has a great success rate with visits. I have a lot of confidence.

Wonder who our player host is going to be. I know CV and Purvis did a great job for a while. Maybe Whaley?

Reaction Score
Amen.
The question I would ask is whether the staff believes every player must be a superior athlete in spite of what other intangibles they bring. These kids (Karaban, Filipowski, etc.) are great players and are proving it in AAU and on their high school teams yet we hear nothing about them from a recruiting perspective regarding us.

Were Voshkuhl, Hamilton, El-Amin, Denham Brown, Napier, Oriakhi, Giffey, and Kromah great athletes?
DD wasn’t a great athlete either or he just bombed the combine. That killed his draft position.
Bazz always said Giffey was the second best athlete on the team . I’m assuming RB was the best. Their experience ,team D and shooting plus a very Athletic 5 in Brimah playing center field allowed them to be more aggressive. You usually don’t win without some athleticism but decent athletes who can “play”especially together is the recipe for winning

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Serious rapid fire on these visits, with Duke getting the finale. Have they officially offered? If not, I guess they’ll prob do it on the visit
I would rather have an official, of course, but I like our slot toward the end. Duke will be tough.

Reaction Score
yeah damn. coach k can sell him on being their next matt hurt

Reaction Score
Not liking the fact that we didn’t get an official, I’m thinking he had these five all planned before Murray got the job?

Reaction Score
Not liking the fact that we didn’t get an official, I’m thinking he had these five all planned before Murray got the job?
Wouldn't read too much into that, you have to pay your own way for unofficial visits and the 2 closest schools are the unofficials.

Edit - Just realized that's Northwestern not Notheastern so not close, but still wouldn't worry

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wouldn't read too much into that, you have to pay your own way for unofficial visits and the 2 closest schools are the unofficials.

Edit - Just realized that's Northwestern not Notheastern so not close, but still wouldn't worry
I appreciate you being logical about things lol, but I worry they can’t quite roll out the red carpet as they would during an official visit.

Reaction Score
He isn't a particularly athletic person. Hurley seems to prefer a superior athlete at the 4 spot more than anywhere else.

He's a talent though. Sign me up.
He’s athletic enough for Duke to be putting a full court press on him!

Reaction Score
Not worried about the Sewer. He probably wants to see snow in June.
The Ohio St, Indiana, Iowa and Northwestern.............? Nothing to see here.
UConn 2nd to last worries me.
That's probably where we end up after K pulls the Ski card and has Jay Bilas walk by his office as the visit ends..........

Reaction Score
Of the three centers currently being recruited by DH/staff for 2022.. DC/Filipowski/Lively. IMO-- Each has a different style that they bring to the table and would have a huge influence on schemes (in different ways) once here.

We're really in good shape no matter who chooses to continue their career at UConn. I do think we'll get one of the three ..Don't see the remaining two wanting to/needing to give up PT when they could be The Man somewhere else once the first one commits.

A good problem to have. Who of them wants to play next to Samson? Will be fun with any of them.

Reaction Score
Who of them wants to play next to Samson? Will be fun with any of them.
samson is my favorite recruit of hurley's so far. he's got everything you want in a modern day stretch big and his versatility allows him to play along guys as different as flip and clingan.

Reaction Score
Beyond that actually. I'm quite sure the story goes that Curley had given JC a verbal (on a Saturday night IIRC), only to reverse himself the next day due to the immense pressure he was under to stay home and he then committed to BC. As can be imagined, Calhoun was not a happy camper!
This is also the story version I heard
BC was really talented w him there but never beat ucon

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Is Flip from MA or just prepping there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors