Kutztown Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kutztown Postgame Thread

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I fell in love with the pace of this team. Player movement and ball movement was the best I've seen in a while at UCONN. I'm going to start calling them the "giddy up" girls if this continues.
Heh heh heh.........giddy up. :cool:

Reaction Score
OMG!!!!

You won’t get any critical comments from me today. They were even better than I expected, and you guys know what an optimist I am. A couple of random observations:

1. Lou is bigger than I expected. She’s usually listed at 6’1” or 6’2”, just like Caroline. If Lou is only 6’1”, she’s a long 6’1”. She will create a ton of matchup problems for Texas especially. Last year, when she played against them she stuck as a 3/4. But when we meet them this tear, she’ll be a 2/3. ND may be able to have Citron guard her. But play Caroline next to her and that will blow up that plan.

2. Aubrey and Ayanna bring a ton of energy and muscle to the 4. And Ayanna is quicker than I expected. She looks rough now, but that will get smoothed out by January. I think she’ll be a terror for other bigs. She’ll wear them out.

3. I can picture a small unit of Nika Azzi Caroline Lou Ayanna that could run other teams off the court.

4. We are HUGE! Dorka Aaliyah Ayanna Aubrey Caroline Lou — that is a huge team. Even Azzi is almost 6 feet. We’re not just tall, but also long and strong.

Reaction Score
I thought that there were several visible areas of improvement and one very noticeable area of no improvement in the returning players. I also was thought that there were very unexpected positives in the new players.

Nika- More muscular, greater strength and stamina, looking up court whenever she gets the ball, passing with a purpose, much stronger on drives, better stroke, a true point guard.

Azzi - Smarter and stronger, stroke is even better, moving better without the ball to get open, can do yeoman's work as a substitute PG.

Dorka- Smoother stroke, about to emerge as a true star underneath.

Liya- Developed that quick drive move to the right, great free throw form, seems much smarter as a basketball player out there with much better court sense and sense of where she should be in a given set, more athletic.

Aubrey- We really did miss her. No one causes chaos and confusion like her, went to the hole strong, just needs some games to get her timing back . Seems leaner and stronger and not hesitant.

Amari- Just disappointed. No real change in strength or skill in this game today and hopefully she will work really hard from now on or she will be a 3 minute player like last year.

Lou- Smart, complete offensive player, a bona fide scorer with every shot there is and moves well without the ball. Blends in seamlessly.

Ines- Surprisingly stronger than the film I saw of her. Has the European glide speed which has to be quickened but is not afraid (behind the back pass in front of Geno). Kid is a player. Good passer with strength and zip on the passes right or left and can go to the hoop.

Ayanna- As billed. She will have to adjust to bigger players than today but having an underneath power player is a great addition. A double double in her first outing is very promising.

All in all, there are a lot of weapons on this team and with CD coming back, it can be an offensive juggernaut. We will be very up tempo, with 3 dead eye 3 point shooters in Azzi, Lou and CD, of whom Lou and CD are nose for the basket type scorers, and a variety of low post scorers in Ay and Liya and an inside out threat in Dorka. Nika and Aubrey have stronger drive moves too.

The defense? Ay, there's the rub but the defense has some genuine stars in Nika and Aubrey and of course Liya. That will be a work in progress more so than the offense but as was posted several times, that's the February metamorphosis, not the November live birth.

Reaction Score
I'm only going to say something about one player:

When Alliyah Edwards was a freshman, she never looked that poised on the FT line, going 3-3, she never looked that poised on an 18' jumper, and she would've travelled on that pump fake and drive to the opposite side of the basket for a layup.

I feel like she's sort of gotten lost in the post-game comments, but what I saw from her today is the makings of a consistent and legitimate force in the low post. I really hope she puts it all together this year, because she could be unstoppable.
Alyiah Edwards was the MVP of the Global cup this summer. She looked poised and her outside shot was money. Think she will do more when she is required,

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
34F8CA02-DB4A-482B-8CF7-7B2EBE55CBA5.jpeg

Nika Muhl, rebounding machine.

Reaction Score
I'm only going to say something about one player:

When Alliyah Edwards was a freshman, she never looked that poised on the FT line, going 3-3, she never looked that poised on an 18' jumper, and she would've travelled on that pump fake and drive to the opposite side of the basket for a layup.

I feel like she's sort of gotten lost in the post-game comments, but what I saw from her today is the makings of a consistent and legitimate force in the low post. I really hope she puts it all together this year, because she could be unstoppable.
I think Aaliyah has refined her shooting and FT's and one drive in particular where she faked left with a slight shoulder twitch and went hard right is something she did not have. And she is just as disruptive on defense as she has ever been But she may suffer a bit by being compared to Ayanna's physical gifts which are surreal.
Didn't get to see the game, but it sounds like how she played during the summer has carried over. I noted that her jump shot seemed more fluid/smoother when I watched Globl Jam. Her goal is to be more consistent. If she is able to accomplish this, she will be very fun to watch.

She may get overlooked on the board, however she can't be by the teams that have to face her. I think that's more important overall.

Reaction Score
OMG!!!!

You won’t get any critical comments from me today. They were even better than I expected, and you guys know what an optimist I am. A couple of random observations:

1. Lou is bigger than I expected. She’s usually listed at 6’1” or 6’2”, just like Caroline. If Lou is only 6’1”, she’s a long 6’1”. She will create a ton of matchup problems for Texas especially. Last year, when she played against them she stuck as a 3/4. But when we meet them this tear, she’ll be a 2/3. ND may be able to have Citron guard her. But play Caroline next to her and that will blow up that plan.

2. Aubrey and Ayanna bring a ton of energy and muscle to the 4. And Ayanna is quicker than I expected. She looks rough now, but that will get smoothed out by January. I think she’ll be a terror for other bigs. She’ll wear them out.

3. I can picture a small unit of Nika Azzi Caroline Lou Ayanna that could run other teams off the court.

4. We are HUGE! Dorka Aaliyah Ayanna Aubrey Caroline Lou — that is a huge team. Even Azzi is almost 6 feet. We’re not just tall, but also long and strong.
@Bone Dog I find myself agreeing with u often and u hit the bullseye on the first point. That's y I really liked when she drove and attacked the basket today. She has great size. I also thought she looked good handling the ball which I was concerned about.
I loved what I saw from Aubrey. I can't help myself so based on today, I think this is how the minutes may shake out.

AE 28
NM 27
DJ 26
Lou 26
CD 26
AG 20
AP 15

Reaction Score
I'd start Lou and bring Caroline off the bench. Lou is a better shooter. Her defense is adequate and will get better. Caroline is a sure thing where Caroline is an expectation and hope.

Reaction Score
@Bone Dog I find myself agreeing with u often and u hit the bullseye on the first point. That's y I really liked when she drove and attacked the basket today. She has great size. I also thought she looked good handling the ball which I was concerned about.
I loved what I saw from Aubrey. I can't help myself so based on today, I think this is how the minutes may shake out.

AE 28
Azzi Fudd 32
NM 27
DJ 26
Lou 26
CD 26
AG 20
AP 15
Yup, it looks like we're going to play 5+3 this year.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Didn't get to see the game, but it sounds like how she played during the summer has carried over. I noted that her jump shot seemed more fluid/smoother when I watched Globl Jam. Her goal is to be more consistent. If she is able to accomplish this, she will be very fun to watch.

She may get overlooked on the board, however she can't be by the teams that have to face her. I think that's more important overall.
Nan has it posted at the top of the UConn Woman's Basketball Forum.

Reaction Score
Ayanna Patterson got a double double in her first (exhibition) game at Uconn. The future belongs to her. Following PB....she will get even better this year!!!!!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Did not see Carolina on the bench today. Any particular reason ???
Caroline was on the bench, she didn't play due to neck issues.

Reaction Score
I'd start Lou and bring Caroline off the bench. Lou is a better shooter. Her defense is adequate and will get better. Caroline is a sure thing where Caroline is an expectation and hope.
I’m leaning that way too. I think the neck will make it that way anyways because coach said it may linger.

Reaction Score
While watching the post-game handshake line, I was touched to see how many of the Kutztown players were genuinely thrilled to shake Geno's hand. I think we sometimes forget the fact that he is a legend. He's just Geno to us.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Ayanna Patterson got a double double in her first (exhibition) game at Uconn. The future belongs to her. Following PB....she will get even better this year!!!!!!!
awesomesauce.
she was our funnest player today for the hope v. reality thing.
double double first time she steps on the floor. hot dang.

Reaction Score
Caroline was on the bench, she didn't play due to neck issues.
I'm concerned about Caroline, hopefully needlessly... she was on the bench until early in the second half, but she left at that point and didn't return. Geno commented afterward that her neck issue might be something she'll need to deal with all season. I hope we hear something more definitive soon, and/or that Caroline's back in business Thursday vs. Northeastern!

Reaction Score
I'm concerned about Caroline, hopefully needlessly... she was on the bench until early in the second half, but she left at that point and didn't return. Geno commented afterward that her neck issue might be something she'll need to deal with all season. I hope we hear something more definitive soon, and/or that Caroline's back in business Thursday vs. Northeastern!
They "need" her badly.

You knw what what a damn shame last year and this year was/is. And even two years ago Walker left early.

IMO teams perform best with continuity. I just hope she doesn't wind up "in and out" or we just see throughout she is affected.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom