Kutztown Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kutztown Postgame Thread

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
It's a fact that after Amari entered the game in the 4th quarter, UConn increased its lead by 14 points.
The results are on the scoreboard.
Kutztown only scored 8 points in the 4th quarter, their 2nd lowest scoring quarter thanks in part to Amari's efforts & finesse style of play.
Finesse players can move with determination and purpose. I didn’t see that from Amari and I was looking and wishing very hard to see it.

Does Ines get credit for increasing the lead, too? She had 4 points, 1 rebound, 2 assists, zero turnovers and zero fouls in 8 minutes. For the record, Amari was 0 points, 0 rebounds (!), 2 assists, 3 steals, 3 turnovers and a foul in 10 minutes.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I just watched the 4th quarter for the 3rd time.
I suggest you do the same.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink among other things.
Some people will look but they still don't see because there's too much action going on to focus on Amari.
1667851127725.png
So in 10 minutes of play she had 0 pts, took one shot, 0 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 foul, 3 T/O's, 1 Blk, and 3 Stl's. Compared to Ines who played 8 minutes, had 4 pts, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 0 fouls, 0 T/O's, 0 Blk's, and 0 Stl's. By the way, it a appears that many people on here has focused on Amari, that is why they are VERY disappointed.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There will be times, especially against more serious competition, when the opposing defense is somewhat successful at covering Azzi, Lou, and Caroline, so Nika and Aubrey have to shoot. I completely agree that when the main scorers are having no trouble getting high-percentage shots, Nika and Aubrey should get the ball to them and get rebounds. But when the time comes, they need to be able to score, and I think they will score.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I did rewatch the entire game again today, paying special attention to Amari in the 4th qtr. On the positive side, Amari did do some nice things on defense, she set some high screens and had a couple nice passes from the high post. On the negative side, she missed her one shot, forced a couple passes that ended up turnovers and was stripped of the ball twice. So from a statistical perspective Amari's time on the court was basically a wash. What concerned me is that at 6'5" Amari was the biggest player on the court, by a lot, and she didn't play like it. I would love to have seen her post up hard down low, demand the ball from her teammates and crash the offensive glass like a freight train.

Mayber it's not Amari's fault? Maybe Geno, Jamelle and CD want Amari to be a point center, playing a finesse game at the top of the key rather than using her god given size to own the paint? Yeah, that must be it.......:confused:

Reaction Score
Sun is on the right track about Amari. She seems not to be a banger, no matter what we may hope for. She is not an energizer bunny, not a quick mover and not a Moses Malone type. She is more of a finese player, like Sun demonstrated. Amari is, unfortunately or fortunately, not like ONO or Tina Charles or Steph Dolson. As Sun stated, she is a 'finese' type player. She will learn to block shots and rebound, develop a small hook shot. a small mid range jumper and perhaps a 3. Her size alone, down low, changes opponents shots.
That may be all we can hope for. All big guys aren't energizers........

Reaction Score
Maybe she was hard to see because of those yucky grey warm up suits. Not the best color choice. Keep everything Blue please (with an occasional white)
Yeah - at least they could have tried harder to match them to the color of Geno’s hair. Recommend having an auction to sell them and donate the proceeds to charity. Don’t forget to include the grey game uniform’s in the auction too.

Reaction Score
The biggest takeaway for me was how Nika has transformed herself physically and how she has taken control of this team and also has taken ownership and responsibility. You need a true point guard to make getting to the Promised Land of the Final Four that much easier. We always loved her energy and passion as a player but now there are more skills, smarts and discipline. It was great to see.
She was reminding me a bit of Evina on her drives to the basket. Just turned on the jets and hit another gear. Love to see it.

Reaction Score
I did rewatch the entire game again today, paying special attention to Amari in the 4th qtr. On the positive side, Amari did do some nice things on defense, she set some high screens and had a couple nice passes from the high post. On the negative side, she missed her one shot, forced a couple passes that ended up turnovers and was stripped of the ball twice. So from a statistical perspective Amari's time on the court was basically a wash. What concerned me is that at 6'5" Amari was the biggest player on the court, by a lot, and she didn't play like it. I would love to have seen her post up hard down low, demand the ball from her teammates and crash the offensive glass like a freight train.

Mayber it's not Amari's fault? Maybe Geno, Jamelle and CD want Amari to be a point center, playing a finesse game at the top of the key rather than using her god given size to own the paint? Yeah, that must be it.......:confused:
Clearly not it as you know. At the end of the day it's not the stats it's the eye test and she seemed weak physically out there with no fluidity and no tensile strength and you can't, I repeat just can't, have the ball stripped from you by a smaller D2 player two times. The light hasn't gone on yet for her and it is painful to watch because we know her skill set.

It's just not that difficult. You play as hard as you can for as long as you can in practice in order to get PT. As you practice, so you play. Geno lives by that mantra.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I'd start Lou and bring Caroline off the bench. Lou is a better shooter. Her defense is adequate and will get better. Caroline is a sure thing where Caroline is an expectation and hope.
Uh....what? :):rolleyes:

sun

Reaction Score
View attachment 80445 So in 10 minutes of play she had 0 pts, took one shot, 0 rebounds, 2 assists, 1 foul, 3 T/O's, 1 Blk, and 3 Stl's. Compared to Ines who played 8 minutes, had 4 pts, 1 rebound, 2 assists, 0 fouls, 0 T/O's, 0 Blk's, and 0 Stl's. By the way, it a appears that many people on here has focused on Amari, that is why they are VERY disappointed.
What's the big deal about Amari going 0-1?
Her only shot was rebounded for a FG basket by Ayanna I believe.
That means that Amari's shot wasn't too far off and ended up scoring points anyway in UConn's favor.
Ayanna had much worse shooting with many more misses than Amari considering all of her missed put backs.
And Amari didn't put her own teammates at risk by slamming into them while trying to secure a RB either.
That looked ugly when it happened in the 4th quarter.
I'm glad that Ines appeared to not be hurt.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Clearly not it as you know. At the end of the day it's not the stats it's the eye test and she seemed weak physically out there with no fluidity and no tensile strength and you can't, I repeat just can't, have the ball stripped from you by a smaller D2 player two times. The light hasn't gone on yet for her and it is painful to watch because we know her skill set.

It's just not that difficult. You play as hard as you can for as long as you can in practice in order to get PT. As you practice, so you play. Geno lives by that mantra.
In football, the most damming criticism of a player is that they are “soft.” That would be my take on Amari right now. Jamelle, or somebody, has to find a way to light a fire inside Amari, to get her to play with some genuine aggression. As I said before, I don’t care if she fouls out in 5 minutes. That would be a step in the right direction.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
What's the big deal about Amari going 0-1?
Her only shot was rebounded for a FG basket by Ayanna I believe.
That means that Amari's shot wasn't too far off and ended up scoring points anyway in UConn's favor.
Ayanna had much worse shooting with many more misses than Amari considering all of her missed put backs.
And Amari didn't put her own teammates at risk by slamming into them while trying to secure a RB either.
That looked ugly when it happened in the 4th quarter.
I'm glad that Ines appeared to not be hurt.
I will just give you a simple answer. If a 6'5" player can't get at least 1 rebound or basket in 10 minutes of play against a DIV II team then she will not be playing anything except mop up minutes.

Reaction Score
The biggest takeaway for me was how Nika has transformed herself physically and how she has taken control of this team and also has taken ownership and responsibility. You need a true point guard to make getting to the Promised Land of the Final Four that much easier. We always loved her energy and passion as a player but now there are more skills, smarts and discipline. It was great to see.
She is my número uno!

Reaction Score
She was reminding me a bit of Evina on her drives to the basket. Just turned on the jets and hit another gear. Love to see it.
She threw at least a few no look passes and the one long perfect pass on the break to Lou in the third quarter with about 4:25 left was Bueckersesque. She has much greater confidence now by all indications and her passing choices and court vision are really flawless. I think she knows it too.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

I share your concern over Amari and her lack of performance. But please tell me what you mean by "no tensile strength". Tensile strength is generally the ability of a material or shape to resist being pulled apart, or stretched beyond the point of elasticity. unless one is being drawn and quartered, it seldom applies to humans. :confused:

Reaction Score
Just as Enes Kantor looks like an NBA center sometimes, there are other times when he doesn't. Especially on defense. Quickness is a huge asset in sports. Amari is not the solution yet even though the girl seems to be trying very hard. She's depth and we should feel lucky we have her but there is a reason why she isn't getting much PT. I hope she gets more blow outs so she can continue to develop.

Meanwhile I think Inez may well get significant PT this year. She's athletic. I think she may emerge as a rotation player before the end of the year if we have injuries.

Reaction Score
I share your concern over Amari and her lack of performance. But please tell me what you mean by "no tensile strength". Tensile strength is generally the ability of a material or shape to resist being pulled apart, or stretched beyond the point of elasticity. unless one is being drawn and quartered, it seldom applies to humans. :confused:
I certainly was not being medieval. I meant it to apply to her having the ball ripped out of her hands twice yesterday. It was probably imprecise but she clearly has a lack of grasping strength which is disappointing for a 6'5" player.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
After the game I was agreeing with the posters comments that we were pleasantly surprised by everyone. . . except.

I re-watched the game and Amari did better than I thought
Yep, she missed her shot. But she took the shot. She missed a couple passes that were close and would have probably been on someone's replay if she had been a little more accurate with the passes.

If I remember correctly the camera & talking heads were disengage from the game and I'm thinking she got some stuff done. We just didn't get to see it.

Starter material? No. However I'm holding out for Amari getting it figured out this year. Starter? Probably not but maybe being inserted for a few minutes here, a few minutes there.

Golly Gee I like this Team!
Gonna go look at her stats.

Reaction Score
Geno played a little zone and that may be when we see Deberry play.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Or on the rack! :D

Reaction Score
In football, the most damming criticism of a player is that they are “soft.” That would be my take on Amari right now. Jamelle, or somebody, has to find a way to light a fire inside Amari, to get her to play with some genuine aggression. As I said before, I don’t care if she fouls out in 5 minutes. That would be a step in the right direction.
Toughness and aggression. It's in the gut. Doesn't matter who's talking to her. If you ain't got it, you're not going to just eventually find it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Toughness and aggression. It's in the gut. Doesn't matter who's talking to her. If you ain't got it, you're not going to just eventually find it.
Maybe so. Maybe it’s just a case of lack of confidence. I doubt that Geno and his staff have given up on Amari yet. The Huskies could certainly use 5-10 mpg from a confident, aggressive Amari, assuming that player can be found.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom