Kutztown Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Kutztown Postgame Thread

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At long last UConn WBB is back, as we all get our first extended look at this year’s team. In an exhibition, with liberal player substitution by Geno, against an overmatched D2 team I don’t focus much on shooting, MOV or execution. But there are several things I do look for:
  • Fitness level – This is Andrea Hudy’s 2nd season at UConn. Her training program should be solidly in place. I am looking for UConn WBB to be leaner, stronger and fitter. Maybe it’s just me, but Dorka, Aaliyah, Azzi and Nika all looked leaner and fitter and were generally more active than I recall from last season.
  • Back from injury/surgery - Aubrey, Dorka & Caroline are all back from surgery. Azzi dealt with a nagging foot injury all last season. How are they all moving on the court? Is anyone tentative about contact? Aubrey, Dorka & Azzi all looked healthy and moved well. Aubrey in particular was not at all afraid of mixing it up inside. We’ll have to wait a little longer to assess Caroline, due to a neck strain keeping her on the sidelines today.
  • Who’s in charge? From the moment Paige showed up in Storrs, UConn WBB was “Paige’s team.” With Paige out for the season, who’s running the show? Clearly Nika is the leader on the court right now, and she was all over the court, but the Huskies need Dorka, Azzi and other players to also step up and lead.
  • Has anyone developed anything new? We have all been hearing about Aubrey’s rediscovered jump shot, but we didn’t see it…yet, although she was her typical rebounding tough defender. Aaliyah has been working on her low post game and it showed.
  • How do the Newbies look? Freshmen will typically play like freshmen at this point in the season, but to some extent we can assess their potential. Ayanna is a beast as we all expected. Once she polishes up her game, Ayanna will be a very important contributor. Ines got some 4th qtr PT and she looked OK. Her dish to Ayanna was Showtime. Lou is a different story. She is the real deal and she fits right in seamlessly with the Huskies.
  • Random thoughts
    • In the first half alone, Nika had a game that only Nika could have: 2 pf’s while drawing 3 pf’s on Kutztown, 4 pts, 4 rbs, 4 ast, 3 stl, 2 bl, 1 to.
    • Whenever Azzi misses a 3-pt shot I find it impossible to understand why it didn't splash the net? :rolleyes:
    • Once Lou and Azzi learn to play off each other, along with Caroline, the Huskies will be hell to defend on the perimeter.
    • Dorka looks primed to have a breakout year as UConn’s center.
    • While I did not expect to see a lot of Ines in today’s game, I must confess that I am disappointed that we didn't see Amari until the 4th qtr.

Reaction Score
Dorka played only 20 minutes: is she on limited minutes, still recovering from her wrist surgery? That said, she had amazing stats for her limited time. 20 points (7/8 from the field and 4/6 FT), 7 rebounds, 3 assists and 3 steals. Aaliya played 25 mins with similar stats. I'll take it. :)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Wow. Alot of fun pieces. Nika looks like the floor general we need. Azzi is just superhuman from 3. I hope she does a few more drive by's and mid-range. All it takes is one bad shooting night. Lou is fantastic in all facets of the game and very under control. Ayanna and Aaliyah bring alot of energy and Aaliyah had a few real nice moves on offense as well. Inez should get bad ass for that behind the back pass. :D

But what struck my eyes was Geno being very positive on the sidelines. He has said he really likes this group. They listen and he was giving sideline instruction to just about all the players.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Lou had some sort of leg injury late in the game -- either knee or ankle. Probably ankle. She limped off and then stayed on the bench, but she didn't go to the locker room. I am thinking (hoping) that it minor.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What I came away with is that there is a go-to player who’s willing to take the shot. Her name is Lou.

What a great pick-up she is
As I started to read your post I thought you were talking about Azzi. But I'll accept Lou. Maybe the Huskies have two go-to players? :)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I really liked how Lou was the outside threat in the first half and Azzi seemed a little off. But in the second half, it was a role reversal that worked out quite well (tho Lou never seemed off). A very good "first game". Looking forward to watching the replay!!!

I asked this in the chat...we committed zero fouls in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, right?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1667765073714.png

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
As I started to read your post I thought you were talking about Azzi. But I'll accept Lou. Maybe the Huskies have two go-to players? :)
When the clock was running down and the team kept passing the ball, Lou was the only one who was willing to shoot. Azzi is a fabulous shooter, no doubt about it, but she wasn’t demanding the ball to make things happen.

This is in no way a knock on Azzi. Lou is an older, more experienced player, and it shows

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think we have a point guard!!!
Nika's stat line:

7 pts on 2/4 shooting & 2/2 FT
8 rebounds
11 assists
2 blocks
5 steals
3 turnovers
2 personal fouls

Unofficially, I also had Nika drawing 5 pf's on Kutzdown defenders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom