Kutztown Postgame Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kutztown Postgame Thread

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Can't wait to see Geno play small ball when he has a chance. Can you just imagine Azzi, Caroline, Lou and Nika on the court at the same time. Nika would just love it having 3 capable 3 point shooters on the outside while having either Dorka or AE down low.;)

Reaction Score
I like what I saw today because it is enjoyable to watch them play. Factor in that it was Kutztown,everyone seemed to excell. All of the new players for me appeared to fit right in and made a real contribution. Glad to see it. I am looking forward to seeing them play this season and tested by the likes of Texas and South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Can't wait to see Geno play small ball when he has a chance. Can you just imagine Azzi, Caroline, Lou and Nika on the court at the same time. Nika would just love it having 3 capable 3 point shooters on the outside while having either Dorka or AE down low.;)
Play a 4 corner offense with Ayanna under the basket. if she's one on one with anyone she's going to get the bulk of the rebounds.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Wow. Alot of fun pieces. Nika looks like the floor general we need. Azzi is just superhuman from 3. I hope she does a few more drive by's and mid-range. All it takes is one bad shooting night. Lou is fantastic in all facets of the game and very under control. Ayanna and Aaliyah bring alot of energy and Aaliyah had a few real nice moves on offense as well. Inez should get bad ass for that behind the back pass. :D

But what struck my eyes was Geno being very positive on the sidelines. He has said he really likes this group. They listen and he was giving sideline instruction to just about all the players.
So was Paige

Reaction Score
Caroline, of course!
I agree. For now, Caroline has an extra year of knowledge in the UConn system & she is a slightly better defender. If she is healthy & available, she starts.

However, Lou seriously impressed today and you can tell she was the perfect transfer portal pickup for us. Just wow. The offseason praise for Lou from the coaching staff/players was very accurate and clearly warranted. I’m already wishing she could stay another year!

Also, I don’t really think it matters all that much in the long run who starts anyways. I expect them both to be on the court when it matters most.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game, it was a lot of fun. Decent crowd, considering it was an exhibition and it was a beautiful Sunday in Connecticut. The weather here the last few days has been unseasonably warm and it has been delightful.

Well, the game was not so much fun early on when the defense wasn`t quite right, but after that it seemed like all Kutztown could do (for the most part) was shoot over us. And they made some, more power to them. They do have some good shooters.

But the one who really blew me away was Lou. She is as advertised! What a player. The offensive flow was very good, but when it got out of whack she showed that she can create her own shot and save the possession. She can score in a multitude of ways. I guess had heard that so I knew it going in, but wow it was on full display. She is a playa.

Ayanna is a sight to behold. She is so strong looking. And finesse is not a word I would use to describe her game. She works like crazy out there and is relentless. She will definitely contribute.

It took Azzi a bit of time to find the groove, but once she did it was sweet! I credit Nika for helping get her started, she found her a couple of times in transition - it was clear she was looking for her - and Azzi was off to the races after that.

Great game from Dorka. She is a very gifted player, both inside and outside. I did not see any lingering effects.

Aubrey as well. She looked good. Took a bad fall in the first half - hold your breath time - but got right up and played on. Whew. My concern with her (besides health) was how would she look in the half court offense and I thought she did fine. On one play she made a wonderful drive to the hoop coming around from the right side of the court. That was sweet.

Nika is the team leader. She looks different - as Oldude noted, a lot of the players look leaner and that was what struck me about Nika when I first saw her - not that she was ever out of shape - but she is the consummate team player and she looked great out there. And she got to the line and knocked down a few free throws, how about that. She has upped her game since last season.

Anyhow, it was fun. I came early and stayed late. I saw Paige interacting with some of the young fans before the game, she is such a delight and people just gravitate to her. And after the game, Nika was interacting with a lot of our young fans, taking pictures and just exuding warmth and kindness. It was heartwarming, even for a grumpy old guy like me.

Reaction Score
Lou had some sort of leg injury late in the game -- either knee or ankle. Probably ankle. She limped off and then stayed on the bench, but she didn't go to the locker room. I am thinking (hoping) that it minor.
Maybe a leg cramp? I hope.

Reaction Score
I'm only going to say something about one player:

When Alliyah Edwards was a freshman, she never looked that poised on the FT line, going 3-3, she never looked that poised on an 18' jumper, and she would've travelled on that pump fake and drive to the opposite side of the basket for a layup.

I feel like she's sort of gotten lost in the post-game comments, but what I saw from her today is the makings of a consistent and legitimate force in the low post. I really hope she puts it all together this year, because she could be unstoppable.

Reaction Score
I think we have a point guard!!!
Nika's stat line:

7 pts on 2/4 shooting & 2/2 FT
8 rebounds
11 assists
2 blocks
5 steals
3 turnovers
2 personal fouls

Unofficially, I also had Nika drawing 5 pf's on Kutzdown defenders.
This is Nika being Nika. Another year as best defensive player in Women's BB in 22-23. Starting or coming off the bench, we will Nika at her best and as a bonus , more scoring. This game really impressed me, even if it was Kutztown, it was look at what we can do, with everyone contributing. GO HUSKIES!!!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm only going to say something about one player:

When Alliyah Edwards was a freshman, she never looked that poised on the FT line, going 3-3, she never looked that poised on an 18' jumper, and she would've travelled on that pump fake and drive to the opposite side of the basket for a layup.

I feel like she's sort of gotten lost in the post-game comments, but what I saw from her today is the makings of a consistent and legitimate force in the low post. I really hope she puts it all together this year, because she could be unstoppable.
I think Aaliyah has refined her shooting and FT's and one drive in particular where she faked left with a slight shoulder twitch and went hard right is something she did not have. And she is just as disruptive on defense as she has ever been But she may suffer a bit by being compared to Ayanna's physical gifts which are surreal.

sun

Reaction Score
The good - both great offense & defense by multiple players.
The bad - multiple missed bunnies.
The ugly - UConn players colliding and falling on each other more than once.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The good - both great offense & defense by multiple players.
The bad - multiple missed bunnies.
The ugly - UConn players colliding and falling on each other more than once.
One of the falls was because of a wet floor under the basket.

Reaction Score
Was great to see the team playing again. We have one more game to sort out the kinks before we start playing the good teams. Most players, except one, met or exceeded my expectations. Offense was very good. Defense is a work in progress and tougher competition will give us the impetus to improve. I look forward to an exciting season!

Reaction Score
Ayanna was awesome, love her energy, Lou gets an A from me today, and Ines surprised me with her poise and ball-handling. Ines needs to learn to move on offense, but I cut her a lot of slack for being a late addition to the roster, a freshman, and one in the US for the first time. That’s a lot to assimilate.

I totally agree with Geno.

I was watching her and I thought she was moving. Did you see her back door cut? The one time she was standing, it looked like she wanted to roTate to the top but someone else ran to the space.

Reaction Score
I was at the game today, and overall, pretty much everyone had something positive to contribute. My only concern is Amari. Against bigger teams (especially if we have foul trouble) we may need solid minutes from her and I am really concerned that she may not be able to contribute in that role. She didn't get in until the 4th, and right now, clearly is not part of the primary rotation. Maybe my imagination, but she always seems to be one step slower than the rest of the team, whether hustling up the floor or making sharp cuts. Hoping she proves me wrong

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was watching her and I thought she was moving. Did you see her back door cut? The one time she was standing, it looked like she wanted to roTate to the top but someone else ran to the space.
I saw Ines parked on the perimeter a couple times but someone must have said something to her because she did move a bit more after that

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Unable to watch the game, however just looking at the box scores there was one item that jumped out at me, something that I think we will need and have not had in recent years. Ayanna listed with 4 o rebounds. There have been games in recent seasons when we haven't pulled down 4 for the entire game. With a lot of impressive stats for this game, the O rebound line was the most welcome to me.:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I was at the game today, and overall, pretty much everyone had something positive to contribute. My only concern is Amari. Against bigger teams (especially if we have foul trouble) we may need solid minutes from her and I am really concerned that she may not be able to contribute in that role. She didn't get in until the 4th, and right now, clearly is not part of the primary rotation. Maybe my imagination, but she always seems to be one step slower than the rest of the team, whether hustling up the floor or making sharp cuts. Hoping she proves me wrong
I think being "a step slower than the rest of the team" is an accurate description, unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Unable to watch the game, however just looking at the box scores there was one item that jumped out at me, something that I think we will need and have not had in recent years. Ayanna listed with 4 o rebounds. There have been games in recent seasons when we haven't pulled down 4 for the entire game. With a lot of impressive stats for this game, the O rebound line was the most welcome to me.:rolleyes:
They were all her own missed layups.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom