KU suspends Morris from program former 5 star recruit, transfer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KU suspends Morris from program former 5 star recruit, transfer

Reaction Score
Sure. But we did it with Caron and it worked out. Became a great story.

Self needs to focus on kids with the emotional maturity to handle the level of stardom that comes with being a basketball player at Kansas. Not every kid can handle that. That will mean passing on some of them. His best teams were built around 3-4 star kids anyway.

Caron had already served his time--he didn't have a violent felony heading his way when we recruited him. He was 3+ years away from his last arrest and was squeaky clean since.

That I recall, every one of his arrests except the gun and drug charges that sent him away were minor offenses and none were violent.

We're talking a completely different circumstance here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Caron had already served his time--he didn't have a violent felony heading his way when we recruited him. He was 3+ years away from his last arrest and was squeaky clean since.

That I recall, every one of his arrests except the gun and drug charges that sent him away were minor offenses and none were violent.

All true.

Also, let me know the next time a KU player starts down a bad path, turns his life around, and then gives credit to the care and mentorship that Bill Self invested in him.

Because the next time will be the first.

Reaction Score
All true.

Also, let me know the next time a KU player starts down a bad path, turns his life around, and then gives credit to the care and mentorship that Bill Self invested in him.

Because the next time will be the first.
The Caron Calhoun relationship is as unique as it gets but I find it hard to believe Self has never had kids going down the wrong path who straightened themselves out and now credit Self.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Generally, you can be an absolute garbage human being and thrive at Kansas.

E.g. Bill Self.

That school is the worst thing about college basketball. Absolute slime.
That's ridiculous. Maybe consider that Morris played all season at Texas and the guys that played at Alabama last year, one of whom has a murder charge. Most of the KU players are nice, normal kids. Self absolutely needs to do better weeding out the crap before they show up, rather than just kicking them off the team later. Doug Wrenn was no gem. Nor was Doug Wiggins.

It wasn't a felony. It was a Class A misdemeanor. You don't get off with a $360 fine on a felony charge. Caron's were more serious. He was in a maximum security detention facility. We don't know the details because he was a Juvenile.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Since we're talking about Self here, I just saw this and I was thinking what a bad thing to say to a recruit. Complete opposite of what Hurley, and Calhoun before him, would tell a recruit.

Kansas: "Just Bill Self. Bill Self is a great coach and he basically told me if I play for him then I would start right away. The play-style is really good, they play up and down."

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Since we're talking about Self here, I just saw this and I was thinking what a bad thing to say to a recruit. Complete opposite of what Hurley, and Calhoun before him, would tell a recruit.

Kansas: "Just Bill Self. Bill Self is a great coach and he basically told me if I play for him then I would start right away. The play-style is really good, they play up and down."

Well KU's expected shooting guard for next year was Morris, so it's true. Timberlake is out of eligibility. McCuller will be gone. There is no SG on the roster next year. There is one combo guard, and if Elmarko Jackson doesn't go pro, potentially two PGs.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That's ridiculous. Maybe consider that Morris played all season at Texas and the guys that played at Alabama last year, one of whom has a murder charge. Most of the KU players are nice, normal kids. Self absolutely needs to do better weeding out the crap before they show up, rather than just kicking them off the team later. Doug Wrenn was no gem. Nor was Doug Wiggins.

It wasn't a felony. It was a Class A misdemeanor. You don't get off with a $360 fine on a felony charge. Caron's were more serious. He was in a maximum security detention facility. We don't know the details because he was a Juvenile.

Program has been trash for 50 years, guy.

You all don’t care.

Reaction Score
The Caron Calhoun relationship is as unique as it gets but I find it hard to believe Self has never had kids going down the wrong path who straightened themselves out and now credit Self.
You could be right, but I don't see it. Coaches like Bill Self are entirely self-involved, motivated only by what benefits them personally.

I have this mental image of Self watching Jim Calhoun's beautiful speech at the ESPY's about what it means to be a mentor, the words flowing freely in one ear and out the other, not a single neuron firing.

To be fair, though, Calhoun sets a pretty high standard. Not many are like him.

CL82

Reaction Score
We don't know the details because he was a Juvenile.
Actually we do. Read Caron's book Tuff Juice. It is excellent.

1695137333985.png

Reaction Score
You could be right, but I don't see it. Coaches like Bill Self are entirely self-involved, motivated only by what benefits them personally.

I have this mental image of Self watching Jim Calhoun's beautiful speech at the ESPY's about what it means to be a mentor, the words flowing freely in one ear and out the other, not a single neuron firing.

To be fair, though, Calhoun sets a pretty high standard. Not many are like him.

To be fair, Calhoun wasn't exactly squeaky clean, and plenty of his former players don't like him at all. At the end of the day, Self and Calhoun were both about winning games first and foremost.

Reaction Score
Program has been trash for 50 years, guy.

You all don’t care.
But you have to admit that it seems like Louisville is truly doing their best to catch up in a hurry.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I hate to break it to you but a KC news job is bigger than a Hartford news job. Not than any of them are good.
Is it? It's a lot farther from New York. Anyway, he left becuse the Courant sucks not because it was a promotion.

CL82

Reaction Score
To be fair, Calhoun wasn't exactly squeaky clean, and plenty of his former players don't like him at all.
I guess, but plenty more, absolutely adore the guy as shown by the numbers who turned up for his admittance to the Hall of Fame and all the guys who annually turned up for his golf tournament and basketball classic.

Reaction Score

Here's where I have a problem with this. Now I'm all for with second chances, but I don't like when someone rewards a young troubled athlete who's likely been told all their life how great they are while being enabled for bad behavior. Then when they finally face some consequences, they are still rewarded by given an equal or even better athletic opportunity.

If I understand correctly, his case back in Texas had not been decided but Self recruited him anyways. I would not have had as much an issue if a mid major program took him in after his case had been judicated. Let the kid have a second chance but that chance should not be rewarded a scholarship at one of the top basketball programs. Any coach that takes that type of player clearly shows that winning is more important than character and what's best for that troubled athlete.

If some troubled kid showed that he turned things around, which was the case with Caron before he was recruited by Calhoun, stayed out of trouble and did some volunteer work having a positive influence on others, I wouldn't have a problem with a major program recruiting that type of kid. But that is not the case here.

Bottom line, I don't have a lot of respect for coaches and programs that have a pattern of taking talented athletes who've gotten into trouble and have not demonstrated remorse and any steps to reverse their trajectory in life.

Self rolled the risk and reward dice, and in this case lost. The irony here is that the national media, and certainly the local media, are not going to hold Self accountable for this pattern, and without any consequences, this pattern of rewarding bad behavior will likely continue at Kansas.

I often wonder what would happen with some of these talented troubled kids if they had been held accountable and had to suffer some consequences for their actions early on. The longer they get away with these types of behavior it only seems to escalate into something worse resulting in more victims, and in many cases, a bad outcome for themselves.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Here's where I have a problem with this. Now I'm all for with second chances, but I don't like when someone rewards a young troubled athlete who's likely been told all their life how great they are while being enabled for bad behavior. Then when they finally face some consequences, they are still rewarded by given an equal or even better athletic opportunity.

If I understand correctly, his case back in Texas had not been decided but Self recruited him anyways. I would not have had as much an issue if a mid major program took him in after his case had been judicated. Let the kid have a second chance but that chance should not be rewarded a scholarship at one of the top basketball programs. Any coach that takes that type of player clearly shows that winning is more important than character and what's best for that troubled athlete.

If some troubled kid showed that he turned things around, which was the case with Caron before he was recruited by Calhoun, stayed out of trouble and did some volunteer work having a positive influence on others, I wouldn't have a problem with a major program recruiting that type of kid. But that is not the case here.

Bottom line, I don't have a lot of respect for coaches and programs that have a pattern of taking talented athletes who've gotten into trouble and have not demonstrated remorse and any steps to reverse their trajectory in life.

Self rolled the risk and reward dice, and in this case lost. The irony here is that the national media, and certainly the local media, are not going to hold Self accountable for this pattern, and without any consequences, this pattern of rewarding bad behavior will likely continue at Kansas.

I often wonder what would happen with some of these talented troubled kids if they had been held accountable and had to suffer some consequences for their actions early on. The longer they get away with these types of behavior it only seems to escalate into something worse resulting in more victims, and in many cases, a bad outcome for themselves.
Why would Morris transfer to a mid-major? He would have just stayed at Texas. I find it interesting that nobody is calling out Texas, considering he played for them all year.

Self did take a chance and it didn't work out. Now a talented team that had one weakness, lack of depth, really has no depth. Good news for UConn on December 1st.

CL82

Reaction Score
Self did take a chance and it didn't work out.
Yeah, he kind of has a history of that doesn't he? I guess he's just unlucky.

Now a talented team that had one weakness, lack of depth, really has no depth. Good news for UConn on December 1st.
Yeah, Hawk you're a good poster, but given the nature of the crime, I don't think it's good news for anyone and its impact on December 1 really is not particularly relevant in the big scheme of things, even on a basketball board.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom