KU suspends Morris from program former 5 star recruit, transfer | Page 2 | The Boneyard

KU suspends Morris from program former 5 star recruit, transfer

Reaction Score
Want to make clear I don’t think Self did anything wrong. It’s the risk you take on players with a history. You hope you can be a positive influence and help a kid with a troubled past, but sometimes dudes are just bad dudes

Pretty hard to know when that's the case though.

Reaction Score
Blaming Bill Self for this is galaxy brain stuff from the peanut gallery. The kid was immediately suspended, what more do you want? He’ll assuredly be removed entirely if the allegations prove true.
But at some point you have to hold a coach responsible for the program he's running. Leaving aside the fact that he brought in a kid with an open assault case, this is at least the 3rd sexual assault/r*pe case involving Kansas basketball under Self. At what point does it stop just being bad luck for Self that it keeps happening?

Reaction Score
I was wondering where he went. He didn't stay at the Courant very long. And he went to Kansas City? Must like BBQ. :)
Does anyone know why he really left? Seemed like he was doing a good job and like covering the team then next thing you know he’s out.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Nobody can make things disappear better than Squid

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Does the guy on this board need to run down all the cases again?? Theres like 20-plus. It ain’t coincidental.
I Mean Me Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why he really left? Seemed like he was doing a good job and like covering the team then next thing you know he’s out.
Probably got paid more. Maybe Midwesterners still read the physical paper.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
When Bill Self gets the word that a player has transgressed to point that a suspension is warranted, he simply says "Next!!".

Reaction Score
Sorry didn’t give you proper credit….:couldn’t remember who did it but it was quite the rundown. Self has an amazing resume of guys that have done wrong under his “watch”.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Probably got paid more. Maybe Midwesterners still read the physical paper.
I hate to break it to you but a KC news job is bigger than a Hartford news job. Not than any of them are good.

Reaction Score
Self needs to be held accountable by the media. I believe in second chances with the exception of sexual assault. How do you look your wife, mother or daughters in the eye when they ask how can you bring this type of person into your program. There are too many basketball players out there to take that chance. Self over looked that because he thought he was getting a very good basketball player. He got a bad person who is also ruining Self’s reputation.
His program stinks like week old fish. But, as long as he keeps winning KU will keep looking the other way.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But at some point you have to hold a coach responsible for the program he's running. Leaving aside the fact that he brought in a kid with an open assault case, this is at least the 3rd sexual assault/r*pe case involving Kansas basketball under Self. At what point does it stop just being bad luck for Self that it keeps happening?
Hold him accountable for what? What did Self do wrong? Is he supposed to use clairvoyance to stop the attacks before they happen? Does everyone with a misdemeanor assault go on to r*pe someone later? Is he supposed to know which recruits are at higher risk of r*ping someone? Literally how is this avoidable for coaches?

The bad guy you’re looking for is right there, we don’t need to point fingers at anyone else. Just like it wouldn’t be Hurleys fault if this happened under him. If Self was recruiting previously accused r*pists, the points being made here would be valid, but that’s not what’s happening here.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hold him accountable for what? What did Self do wrong? Is he supposed to use clairvoyance to stop the attacks before they happen? Does everyone with a misdemeanor assault go on to r*pe someone later? Is he supposed to know which recruits are at higher risk of r*ping someone? Literally how is this avoidable for coaches?

The bad guy you’re looking for is right there, we don’t need to point fingers at anyone else. Just like it wouldn’t be Hurleys fault if this happened under him. If Self was recruiting previously accused r*pists, the points being made here would be valid, but that’s not what’s happening here.
I don’t think he deserves too much of the blame here, especially with a transfer. But the kid had prior invidents. One of the issues at KU is that that there probably isn’t any other school where basketball players are more revered. Maybe Kentucky. It can create problems if not held in check as kids let it go to their heads. The staff needs to really emphasize off court behavior and expectations that may not match some of these kids’ past understanding (many probably got away with a lot in HS).

Reaction Score

These points are not mutually exclusive, it's possible that both Morris and Self are both bad guys. Congrats to Bill Self though that this time he gave his player a suspension instead of covering up the assault. There's very little congratulations due here though, because even if this second incident didn't happen he shouldn't have been on the Kansas basketball team

And yes, if something like this happened under Dan Hurley (or any coach) 3 separate times I think it would be time to take a deeper look into the culture of the program and the types of kids being recruited.

Reaction Score

You don’t think there would be criticism of Hurley if he took a kid in the portal who had a pending domestic violence case? That seems a bit stupid. I don’t think it’s a huge leap to say a kid who previously beat up his girlfriend might be more high risk than one who didn’t. But you might be on to something here.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
These points are not mutually exclusive, it's possible that both Morris and Self are both bad guys. Congrats to Bill Self though that this time he gave his player a suspension instead of covering up the assault. There's very little congratulations due here though, because even if this second incident didn't happen he shouldn't have been on the Kansas basketball team

And yes, if something like this happened under Dan Hurley (or any coach) 3 separate times I think it would be time to take a deeper look into the culture of the program and the types of kids being recruited.
So the kids basketball career should’ve been over after the assault? That seems a bit harsh, especially if you read the allegations. Cause I’m assuming if Kansas shouldn’t have taken him, you’re saying nobody else should’ve either?

Also, that second part is a nothing statement. Nobody is recruiting r*pists intentionally(which I doubt you’re suggesting Self recruited the kid thinking there was any chance of this happening), so how do you avoid accidentally recruiting one? What should happen to the staff if the same occurrences were to befall our program?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You don’t think there would be criticism of Hurley if he took a kid in the portal who had a pending domestic violence case? That seems a bit stupid. I don’t think it’s a huge leap to say a kid who previously beat up his girlfriend might be more high risk than one who didn’t. But you might be on to something here.
There’d be some criticism I’m sure. The majority of Hurley meat riders would be offended that you questioned his ability to judge character, like they did when anyone objected to hiring Preston Murphy, and I think the board opinion would settle on the idea he must’ve learned from his mistake.

Here’s the due diligence Self did on Morris for those who are curious. Now imagine the background checks they probably did on the low on top of this.

“We are aware of the charge that Arterio is facing in the State of Texas,” the statement read. “In addition to working with our athletic department and campus administrators, we have also spoken at length with Arterio, his family, his former institution’s University Student Affairs office and his former institution’s Department of Athletics Compliance and Administration.

If the allegations are true, the kid will be sent packing that night. Suspending him before he’s been arrested shows they’re taking it seriously. If Morris is just a terrible person, he was gonna do this somewhere inevitably, no matter where it happened, the head coach would not be responsible.

Reaction Score
So the kids basketball career should’ve been over after the assault? That seems a bit harsh, especially if you read the allegations. Cause I’m assuming if Kansas shouldn’t have taken him, you’re saying nobody else should’ve either?

Also, that second part is a nothing statement. Nobody is recruiting r*pists intentionally(which I doubt you’re suggesting Self recruited the kid thinking there was any chance of this happening), so how do you avoid accidentally recruiting one? What should happen to the staff if the same occurrences were to befall our program?
What should happen to our staff if this were to happen 3 separate times and they tried to cover it up is they are politely asked to move on and no longer coach at UConn.

This will be my last reply and I'll drop it after this, but I genuinely hope nobody close to you ever has to experience a sexual assault or r*pe, and if they do you're able to show a bit more empathy in that situation

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Three other players -- Johnny Furphy, Elmarko Jackson and Nick Timberlake -- were mentioned in the incident report as witnesses and "other," respectively, but a source told the newspaper they were not "remotely" involved in the incident.

Other than witnessing it?

Seriously. That's literally what "remotely involved" means.

Edit: The KC Start article says this, which makes more sense:

A source with knowledge of the situation said the men’s basketball players listed as witnesses or “other” on the incident report were interviewed after the fact and “not involved in the incident at all. They are not under investigation or anything like that remotely.”

Read more at: https://www.kansascity.com/sports/c...of-kansas/article279252244.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Blaming Bill Self for this is galaxy brain stuff from the peanut gallery. The kid was immediately suspended, what more do you want? He’ll assuredly be removed entirely if the allegations prove true.

10-yard penalty for egregious misuse of "galaxy brain." People are stupid for bringing in a guy with an open assault case (part of a pattern of Self looking past character issues), got it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Pretty hard to know when that's the case though.
Sure. But we did it with Caron and it worked out. Became a great story.

Self needs to focus on kids with the emotional maturity to handle the level of stardom that comes with being a basketball player at Kansas. Not every kid can handle that. That will mean passing on some of them. His best teams were built around 3-4 star kids anyway.

Reaction Score

Self needs to focus on kids with the emotional maturity to handle the level of stardom that comes with being a basketball player at Kansas. Not every kid can handle that. That will mean passing on some of them. His best teams were built around 3-4 star kids anyway.
I don't see how emotional maturity to handle the level of stardom that comes with being a basketball player at Kansas has anything to do with being a rapist. I have no idea if he did it or not, I prefer to wait and see. If he did it, he's a sicko and it has nothing to do with if he's emotionally mature enough or not to play at Kansas.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Generally, you can be an absolute garbage human being and thrive at Kansas.

E.g. Bill Self.

That school is the worst thing about college basketball. Absolute slime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom