KU suspends Morris from program former 5 star recruit, transfer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

KU suspends Morris from program former 5 star recruit, transfer

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Sure. But we did it with Caron and it worked out. Became a great story.

Self needs to focus on kids with the emotional maturity to handle the level of stardom that comes with being a basketball player at Kansas. Not every kid can handle that. That will mean passing on some of them. His best teams were built around 3-4 star kids anyway.

You're always taking a risk with recruiting teenage boys into the pressure cooker of D1 hoops, but there are degrees of risk. Caron had a juvenile record but had turned his life around as demonstrated by his decision to enroll at MCI. This dude had a pending assault case. I also think when you're deciding how much blame to assign to the institution/staff that you have to consider whether there's a pattern of the institution/staff generously giving the benefit of the doubt. I appreciate you're a KU guy and people can agree to disagree on Self's choices.

Reaction Score
You're always taking a risk with recruiting teenage boys into the pressure cooker of D1 hoops, but there are degrees of risk. Caron had a juvenile record but had turned his life around as demonstrated by his decision to enroll at MCI. This dude had a pending assault case. I also think when you're deciding how much blame to assign to the institution/staff that you have to consider whether there's a pattern of the institution/staff generously giving the benefit of the doubt. I appreciate you're a KU guy and people can agree to disagree on Self's choices.
We saw it many years ago with Calhoun and Courtney Alexander. Alexander was originally from Bridgeport and was begging Calhoun to take him in when he was done at Virginia but Calhoun passed because Alexander assaulted his fiance. This was a year or two before our first championship and there was a lot of pressure to take him.

I heard Calhoun went to bat for Nate Miles when he was involved with that girl, it sounded to me like Nate may have been railroaded but I don't know all the details. Then there was Ben and his girlfriend, he slapped her after she hit him if my memory serves me right. The Bouknight thing was pretty weird but there was nothing physical there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I actually said he needs to do a much better job of making sure he's getting higher character guys who can handle the pressure and temptation of being a player at KU. He has not been good enough at that and needs to do better.

I only bristle when people paint with a broad brush. Most of the players have been fine. They've done a very good job of development, unless people think turning Christian Braun, local 3 star, into an actual player for the Nuggets is nothing. There haven't been many problem players. Bragg was suspended in 2015 over what turned out to be a false allegation. We suspended Bouknight to start his career if I recall for "borrowing" a car.

Reaction Score
I actually said he needs to do a much better job of making sure he's getting higher character guys who can handle the pressure and temptation of being a player at KU. He has not been good enough at that and needs to do better.

I only bristle when people paint with a broad brush. Most of the players have been fine. They've done a very good job of development, unless people think turning Christian Braun, local 3 star, into an actual player for the Nuggets is nothing. There haven't been many problem players. Bragg was suspended in 2015 over what turned out to be a false allegation. We suspended Bouknight to start his career if I recall for "borrowing" a car.
I don't think anyone questions Self as a developer of basketball talent, he's an awesome coach.

Why do you keep saying kids who can handle the pressure and temptation of being a KU basketball player? None of us know what happened but the player is accused of rape, how does pressure and temptation of being a KU basketball player factor into raping a girl?

Also, despite the misdemeanor the assault on the girl at Texas doesn't sound like a little push or slap.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Bill Self (The Rug Doctor!) puts together a team of AA's every year!

Thanks rupps rafters!

That's "All-Assault" of course, with special points for battering women, though permanently damaging another human through violence will also get you considered.

While there was lots of competition, here's my "Felonious First Five."

Point Guard: Arterio Morris. It is hard to argue against the selection of a guy already charged with punching out a woman WHEN SELF RECRUITED HIM -- a charge he recently pleaded guilty to. The deal was clinched when he became an accused rapist at Kansas.

Shooting Guard: LaGerald Vick. An investigation by Kansas University confirmed that he punched a woman. Of course, that did not stop Self from playing him. Also suspected of being one of five players accused of a sexual assault in a dorm room that got swept under the toupee.

Forward: Josh Jackson. This is a lifetime achievement award. After being one of five Jailhawks linked to the sexual assault in a dorm, he was accused by a female basketball player of threatening to 'smash her face' then was charged in an unrelated leaving the scene of an accident. Since leaving Kansas, he's been charged with assaulting a cop, getting a FIVE-MONTH OLD girl high by smoking so much marijuana in her presence she became disoriented, and hit with rape allegations, including one in which civil charges were filed in August depicting a brutal attack.

Forward: Carlton Bragg. Shortly after a woman accused him of assaulting her, Self decided no punishment was in order. Shortly after that, he was busted on drug charges. His behavior became so embarrassing that even Kansas couldn't look the other way, and he was forced to transfer. At New Mexico, he was swiftly charged in another sex assault case, and ultimately kicked off the team after being busted for DUI and drug charges.

Center: Silvo DeSousa. Immortalized in the classic photo of him smashing a chair over a defenseless opponent during a game, DeSousa's real claim to fame was knocking a man's eye out when the guy tried to stop DeSousa from harassing a woman outside a bar.

There are several other Bill Self recruits who could challenge for a place on this team, but this is my personal selection of his AA Squad.

And Jailhawk fans wonder why the NCAA charged him with loss of institutional control -- of course that mostly had to do with his proven lying and cheating.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a re-class 2024 guy to fill a scholly. Their bench is THIN. Jackson and Furphy are good players, but if Furphy needs time to adjust to American game? Their 3rd best bench guy is former walk-on Parker Braun.

Reaction Score
Bill Self (The Rug Doctor!) puts together a team of AA's every year!

Thanks rupps rafters!

That's "All-Assault" of course, with special points for battering women, though permanently damaging another human through violence will also get you considered.

While there was lots of competition, here's my "Felonious First Five."

Point Guard: Arterio Morris. It is hard to argue against the selection of a guy already charged with punching out a woman WHEN SELF RECRUITED HIM -- a charge he recently pleaded guilty to. The deal was clinched when he became an accused rapist at Kansas.

Shooting Guard: LaGerald Vick. An investigation by Kansas University confirmed that he punched a woman. Of course, that did not stop Self from playing him. Also suspected of being one of five players accused of a sexual assault in a dorm room that got swept under the toupee.

Forward: Josh Jackson. This is a lifetime achievement award. After being one of five Jailhawks linked to the sexual assault in a dorm, he was accused by a female basketball player of threatening to 'smash her face' then was charged in an unrelated leaving the scene of an accident. Since leaving Kansas, he's been charged with assaulting a cop, getting a FIVE-MONTH OLD girl high by smoking so much marijuana in her presence she became disoriented, and hit with allegations, including one in which civil charges were filed in August depicting a brutal attack.

Forward: Carlton Bragg. Shortly after a woman accused him of assaulting her, Self decided no punishment was in order. Shortly after that, he was busted on drug charges. His behavior became so embarrassing that even Kansas couldn't look the other way, and he was forced to transfer. At New Mexico, he was swiftly charged in another sex assault case, and ultimately kicked off the team after being busted for DUI and drug charges.

Center: Silvo DeSousa. Immortalized in the classic photo of him smashing a chair over a defenseless opponent during a game, DeSousa's real claim to fame was knocking a man's eye out when the guy tried to stop DeSousa from harassing a woman outside a bar.

There are several other Bill Self recruits who could challenge for a place on this team, but this is my personal selection of his AA Squad.

And Jailhawk fans wonder why the NCAA charged him with loss of institutional control -- of course that mostly had to do with his proven lying and cheating.

IMG_2179.jpeg

IMG_2178.gif

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a re-class 2024 guy to fill a scholly. Their bench is THIN. Jackson and Furphy are good players, but if Furphy needs time to adjust to American game? Their 3rd best bench guy is former walk-on Parker Braun.
Been saying that even before this happened. They shouldn't be #1 because they have no depth in the front court at all. Bringing in transfers caused so many guys to leave. Cautionary tale.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom