Kristy Wallace Injury | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Kristy Wallace Injury

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why? South Carolina plays in SEC tournament tomorrow night (likely against TN) per Dawn A'ja status still unknown. I recognize game when I see it but I also recognize "gamesmanship".
I guess my point is that if Wallace doesn't play in the Big12 tournament, or Wilson in the SEC tournament for that matter, Kim and Dawn will be inundated with questions about their key players respective status. They can both certainly choose to stonewall if they want, but that won't get them any points with the selection committee, particularly if they lose in their conference tournament as well.

SC's pretty much assured of a 2 seed, even if they run the table and somehow beat MS St. The Gamecocks just don't want to be a 2 seed in the Albany Region, or god forbid a 3 seed who knows where. As for Baylor, I agree that #1 or #2 seeding is on the line. First and foremost they need to take care of business and win their conference tournament, something I believe they should do, even without Wallace. Assuming Baylor wins the conference tournament they either end up as the 4th #1 seed or the 1st #2 seed which basically puts them in the same regional playing against ND or Louisville for a trip to the FF.

I know there's several other permutations that are possible, but that's the most likely scenario imo.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Why do college coaches have to reveal the medical condition of their players? They don't reveal what type of defense they're going to play or even who's starting. It isn't professional baseball (starting pitchers) or football (injury report) where all that matters is the gambling line.
I've always wondered about the relationship between coaches discussing a player's injuries and HIPAA laws issued by HHS which govern patient privacy. I think it's against the law for doctors or medical establishments to discuss an individual patient's health status, but I find it difficult to understand why those same privacy rules don't apply to coaches or teams.

Reaction Score
Great point, oldude.

And, beyond legal issues, there are unknown emotional factors in any announcement about an injury. For all we know, Wallace may be distraught (I'm sure she is, if it's serious) and Kim might be trying to respect her feelings. I'm sure there's a lot of emotional pain in making such an announcement, and it affects different players and coaches differently. Gaming the selection committee is the only possible reason we, as outsiders, can see, but there are almost certainly other considerations hidden from us.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Why? South Carolina plays in SEC tournament tomorrow night (likely against TN) per Dawn A'ja status still unknown. I recognize game when I see it but I also recognize "gamesmanship".
Doesn't it affect the Vegas odds???? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Great point, oldude.

And, beyond legal issues, there are unknown emotional factors in any announcement about an injury. For all we know, Wallace may be distraught (I'm sure she is, if it's serious) and Kim might be trying to respect her feelings. I'm sure there's a lot of emotional pain in making such an announcement, and it affects different players and coaches differently. Gaming the selection committee is the only possible reason we, as outsiders, can see, but there are almost certainly other considerations hidden from us.
I agree with you...well written...good sportsmen like approach.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I see nothing in the news about such availability or Wallace. They surely know her status now. I anticipated something like this because it's Mulkey.

Ah ha - the old Bill Belichick conspiracy theory at play?

Someone posted above the notion that it could be that they don't know yet the severity of the injury if the swelling hasn't subsided. I think this is a real possibility.

And given Baylor's strength compared to whoever they will play in their opening tournament game, I can't imagine that there is any tactical advantage to Mulkey for not being transparent.

Reaction Score
Since we have apparently decided not to focus on this poor kid’s injury, but have instead elected to indulge in conspiracy theories, I’d like to offer a couple of my own:
1. Kristy is not actually injured. This is an elaborate and nefarious hoax engineered by Kim Mulkey to give UConn a false sense of confidence heading into the post-season.
2. The Apollo moon landing was a fake.

Reaction Score
The announcement was just made that Kristy has a torn ACL.
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Very sad and most unfortunate for Baylor. As soon as I saw the video, this always seemed the most likely outcome. ACL tears really are a scourge on the sport we love.

Losing a player a starter at this time of the year is gutting. As a fan, it almost feels as if you were cheated out of a whole season, as you will never truly know how far you could have gone had the injury not happen. Baylor still can make a deep run in the tourney, but I think their outside shot at an NC is probably gone.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Why do college coaches have to reveal the medical condition of their players? They don't reveal what type of defense they're going to play or even who's starting. It isn't professional baseball (starting pitchers) or football (injury report) where all that matters is the gambling line.
There could still be a gambling line. Admittedly not so much in women's ball, and one could say that that should not be a consideration. But it is reality , especially at tournament time. And many people are just plain concerned fans. Teams want support and people in the seats, so there should be a flow of information. Perhaps not intimate details of the health of a player, but at least an indication of their availability. Opacity is bad for trust, and schools need their fans to trust them.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I've always wondered about the relationship between coaches discussing a player's injuries and HIPAA laws issued by HHS which govern patient privacy. I think it's against the law for doctors or medical establishments to discuss an individual patient's health status, but I find it difficult to understand why those same privacy rules don't apply to coaches or teams.

This gets brought up a lot when these situations arise. Because the athletes are involved in sports with National exposure there has to be some provision for disclosure. Perhaps injuries occuring in publicly broadcast games have a different standard of disclosure. OR the athletes have given prior permission for such game-related health issues to be disclosed. It seems the pro's (Unless there's a Belechick type twist) are quicker to inform the public of the nature of injuries.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The announcement was just made that Kristy has a torn ACL. I wish her well in her recovery!

Damn!!! :(:(:(:mad: Thanks for the update skilz.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"According to KWTX’s Taylor Williamson, Mulkey said that Wallace will not undergo surgery immediately, nor did she rule out Wallace for the remainder of the season."

Interesting little bit.

"Some athletes don’t have buckling or giving way with an ACL-deficient knee, so a custom brace might be a reasonable option. If the knee gives way in the brace, the athlete and his parents could then decide to have surgery. There are studies, however, that show higher rates of secondary damage to the knee in young athletes who elect nonoperative treatment of an ACL tear compared to those who undergo early surgery. It’s at least worth talking to a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon to discuss options appropriate, including an ACL brace, for the young athlete." Wearing an ACL brace to play sports with a torn ACL | Dr. David Geier - Sports Medicine Simplified

Reaction Score
"According to KWTX’s Taylor Williamson, Mulkey said that Wallace will not undergo surgery immediately, nor did she rule out Wallace for the remainder of the season."

This is what I was just confused about reading the article. As much as I don't like to see players injured, I think I'd just cringe watching a clearly injured player continue to play through the tournament.... Ouch! This doesn't seem like a good idea

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
This is what I was just confused about reading the article. As much as I don't like to see players injured, I think I'd just cringe watching a clearly injured player continue to play through the tournament.... Ouch! This doesn't seem like a good idea

Wow brutal blow for Baylor and Kristy. Have to feel for her after she's had such a great senior season. Hope she recovers quickly. Baylor becomes a lot less scary now that she's out.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Interesting little bit.

"Some athletes don’t have buckling or giving way with an ACL-deficient knee, so a custom brace might be a reasonable option. If the knee gives way in the brace, the athlete and his parents could then decide to have surgery. There are studies, however, that show higher rates of secondary damage to the knee in young athletes who elect nonoperative treatment of an ACL tear compared to those who undergo early surgery. It’s at least worth talking to a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon to discuss options appropriate, including an ACL brace, for the young athlete." Wearing an ACL brace to play sports with a torn ACL | Dr. David Geier - Sports Medicine Simplified

It sounds more stupid than interesting.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tough blow for Baylor and super bummed for Kristy on a personal and basketball level. NOT the way she wanted her senior season to bow out.

The title game between Baylor and Texas suddenly became much more interesting. After being blown out the 1st game, Texas hung with Baylor in the 2nd game right until the end. On a neutral court, with no Wallace, suddenly I'm not sure Baylor wins that game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom