Kristy Wallace Injury | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Kristy Wallace Injury

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
"According to KWTX’s Taylor Williamson, Mulkey said that Wallace will not undergo surgery immediately, nor did she rule out Wallace for the remainder of the season."

Interesting little bit.

"Some athletes don’t have buckling or giving way with an ACL-deficient knee, so a custom brace might be a reasonable option. If the knee gives way in the brace, the athlete and his parents could then decide to have surgery. There are studies, however, that show higher rates of secondary damage to the knee in young athletes who elect nonoperative treatment of an ACL tear compared to those who undergo early surgery. It’s at least worth talking to a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon to discuss options appropriate, including an ACL brace, for the young athlete." Wearing an ACL brace to play sports with a torn ACL | Dr. David Geier - Sports Medicine Simplified

Mulkey didn't say that she is not ruling her out (I know this was from KWTX). What Mulkey said was she wouldn't put it past Kristy to try to walk/run on it in hopes of still playing. She also stated that it's very unlikely that should would be able to play. Kim also said that Kristy would never do anything to hurt her future either.

Surgery has been pushed out for several weeks. May prayers to Kristy Wallace and her family! (Note: Kristy's family was flying into the States to see her play at the start of the NCAA Tournament).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It sounds more stupid than interesting.
You were able to translate my comment accurately!
My daughter tore her ACL during a championship run in HS. There were some idiots trying to convince me that she would not do any more damage by continuing to play. I must have went nuclear and blacked out because I don't even remember letting him finish his sentence.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Mulkey didn't say that she is not ruling her out (I know this was from KWTX). What Mulkey said was she wouldn't put it past Kristy to try to walk/run on it in hopes of still playing. She also stated that it's very unlikely that should would be able to play. Kim also said that Kristy would never do anything to hurt her future either.

Surgery has been pushed out for several weeks. May prayers to Kristy Wallace and her family! (Note: Kristy's family was flying into the States to see her play at the start of the NCAA Tournament).

Thanks for the nuances @skilz

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I know all ACL's are different and Jessica Moore (For example) finished the game when she had one. BUT generally speaking my feeling is when it's a blowout like the one Kristy Wallace endured it's not realistic. As far as I'm concerned if Shea Ralph couldn't do it NOBODY can! :cool: One of the toughest kids I've ever seen play basketball.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I know all ACL's are different and Jessica Moore (For example) finished the game when she had one. BUT generally speaking my feeling is when it's a blowout like the one Kristy Wallace endured it's not realistic. As far as I'm concerned if Shea Ralph couldn't do it NOBODY can! :cool: One of the toughest kids I've ever seen play basketball.

I've heard of people finishing games with a torn ACL . After the initial sharp pain of her injury, Ali Patberg said that she had tried to convince the trainers to let her finish practice.

Knowingly playing on a torn ACL is a whole different thing. It's not unprecedented, though: A History Of Athletes Who Played Without ACLs

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Since we have apparently decided not to focus on this poor kid’s injury, but have instead elected to indulge in conspiracy theories, I’d like to offer a couple of my own:
1. Kristy is not actually injured. This is an elaborate and nefarious hoax engineered by Kim Mulkey to give UConn a false sense of confidence heading into the post-season.
2. The Apollo moon landing was a fake.[
Number one is false and number two is true.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We lost Lou for the NC game her freshman year (as everyone here knows) and even though she had been a starter,the kids stepped up and we won the NC. Baylor needs their kids to step up so we will see what happens now that it is crunch time and how far they can go in the Big Dance. This may show what Baylor is made of too.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Last season I thought Wallace was a weak link. She was inconsistent in my mind. This season she has been terrific and a very good leader and player.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
Since we have apparently decided not to focus on this poor kid’s injury, but have instead elected to indulge in conspiracy theories, I’d like to offer a couple of my own:
1. Kristy is not actually injured. This is an elaborate and nefarious hoax engineered by Kim Mulkey to give UConn a false sense of confidence heading into the post-season.
2. The Apollo moon landing was a fake.
Which one?

Reaction Score
This is what I was just confused about reading the article. As much as I don't like to see players injured, I think I'd just cringe watching a clearly injured player continue to play through the tournament.... Ouch! This doesn't seem like a good idea
Exactly. It’s not a good idea. Having been through this injury with three of my players including my daughter, it would be totally irresponsible to send a kid out there with a torn ACL. Without that stabilizing ligament a lot of shifting occurs in that joint with big potential for stressing and damaging other ligaments and tearing up cartilage.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
We lost Lou for the NC game her freshman year (as everyone here knows) and even though she had been a starter,the kids stepped up and we won the NC.

UConn had to lean on Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck a little more. A real triumph over adversity. :rolleyes:

The other 4 of that starting 5 could have dragged a walk-on to the NC.

Reaction Score
My daughter tore her ACL during a championship run in HS. There were some idiots trying to convince me that she would not do any more damage by continuing to play. I must have went nuclear and blacked out because I don't even remember letting him finish his sentence.
Have had the same experience with my daughter and like you, I went ballistic.

Reaction Score

I don't think surgery was "pushed" back...................if I'm not mistaken in most cases they wait for the swelling to subside and do some preparatory physical therapy before the surgery takes place..........

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
"According to KWTX’s Taylor Williamson, Mulkey said that Wallace will not undergo surgery immediately, nor did she rule out Wallace for the remainder of the season."

Interesting little bit.

"Some athletes don’t have buckling or giving way with an ACL-deficient knee, so a custom brace might be a reasonable option. If the knee gives way in the brace, the athlete and his parents could then decide to have surgery. There are studies, however, that show higher rates of secondary damage to the knee in young athletes who elect nonoperative treatment of an ACL tear compared to those who undergo early surgery. It’s at least worth talking to a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon to discuss options appropriate, including an ACL brace, for the young athlete." Wearing an ACL brace to play sports with a torn ACL | Dr. David Geier - Sports Medicine Simplified

"Some athletes" would likely not include elite athletes who put massive stress on the knee when accelerating, decelerating and changing direction (which involves both ;^), who may not take the time to apply the brace correctly every single time they play or practice, and who face possible loss of pride, fame and/or money if it doesn't work. The brace didn't work for me and I'm far from elite. I am anal enough to have religiously learned the technique for brace application and enamored enough of my tennis to have paid attention putting it on every time I played -- only 3-4 times a week for me vs. what 5-10 times for one of these girls. But I ended up with a torn right lateral meniscus when the knee went out. Thirty percent of it had to be removed. I had a superb surgeon for the ACL replacement and my knee is actually a bit tighter than the undamaged one. But every now and then, I do something that causes the meniscus to flare up and the knee gets tender and swells a bit.

Replacing an ACL, whether with a tendon taken from a cadaver or from the patient's patellar tendon, is nowadays a low-risk surgery. Computer guidance of drills and the visualizations of the operation in progress result in very good to excellent joint fits, even if the surgeon isn't superb (my experience was 15 years ago).

Depends on the damage that's already been done, but likely the decision would come down to "is not having 3-6 months of rehab worth the risk of doing more damage to the knee?". And I think the risk for most elite athletes would be significant.

Centerstream

Reaction Score
UConn had to lean on Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck a little more. A real triumph over adversity. :rolleyes:

Oh that's right, I forgot it was 4 on 5.

But I get your point, afterall, they did it all 4 years...

BTW, my post was sort of a "win one for the Gipper"...did you miss that????

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
I've heard of people finishing games with a torn ACL . After the initial sharp pain of her injury, Ali Patberg said that she had tried to convince the trainers to let her finish practice.

Knowingly playing on a torn ACL is a whole different thing. It's not unprecedented, though: A History Of Athletes Who Played Without ACLs

My ortho surgeon was the team doctor for the Phoenix Indoor Soccer League team. He said half the guys had torn ACLs. If there was no significant meniscus or ligament damage they kept on playing as they couldn't afford to lose a year of their career. He said their thigh muscles were hard enough to hold the joint together under most circumstances, though they were more more susceptible to injuries when the knee was twisted laterally (i.e. the foot tries rotate around the axis of the tibia).

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the nuances @skilz

Some people will see "Mulkey isn't ruling her out" and change that to "she's such a horrible coach and will do anything to win, even ruin a kids career" which isn't true. It's a shame people take things so literally.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Some people will see "Mulkey isn't ruling her out" and change that to "she's such a horrible coach and will do anything to win, even ruin a kids career" which isn't true. It's a shame people take things so literally.

I suspect that the open ended nature of this is also a gracious reflection of Kristy needing time to let things , priorities, goals come into focus.

Reaction Score

It was really tough. They had to replace Katie Lou with Gabby as the fifth starter. We're lucky we won that game against Syracuse.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how far this Baylor team can go without Kristy. Although they are losing a key player, don't count Baylor out. Their two young freshman players in Morris and Richards are far more mature than most and certainly talented enough to move this team deep into the playoffs. You will see Morris take the PG position. Question is can these girls get hot at the right time. If they can, it will be a tough matchup for anyone. I'm sure most teams are now seeing this Baylor team as vulnerable, but I don't expect the drop off to be as great as one may think. However, this will be a big challenge for these freshman.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I feel terrible for the kid, was having a great year.

My wife tore both her ACL's skiing (within a 3-year period)
In both cases her doctor chose the non-operative route, rest, rehab.

These days, she puts on two custom braces and skis better then ever.
I can't keep up with her.

Reaction Score

:D:D:D:D:D Thank you Orangutan.

I read that and thought the same thing...oh no, you still have Stewie Mo and Tuck...whatever will you do?

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Interesting little bit.

If they are actually thinking of letting her play, that is inexcusable.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You wonder why people always think the worst of Mulkey? Perhaps it's the trail she's left in her rear view mirror, or all the times she's put her big foot in her even bigger mouth. She's earned her reputation as a very good coach, but she's also earned all her other reputations.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom