KO's next steps on the recruiting trail | Page 3 | The Boneyard

KO's next steps on the recruiting trail

Reaction Score
Personally, I believe Enoch was simply never given a chance. He was rarely on the floor for longer than a 5-6 minute stretch. Ollie saw this season falling apart. he saw Brimah was no better a player than he was last year, and he was constantly in foul trouble. Ollie had a chance to give Enoch a lot of experience this season, but he chose to stay with Brimah. I would have reversed the minutes, Enoch would of played a lot more, and to that effect, the fact that he is no longer here, is a direct by product of that. The kid got 20+ minutes in 3 games, and that was because of foul trouble by Brimah, and Facey. Maybe he didn't earn the time in practice, there are things I surely don't know about, but otherwise, I would have played Enoch 25 minutes a game, the team was going nowhere.
I agree with you to an extent. I would have liked to see him get more minutes. But, while there were games where Enoch showed some promise and a few nifty post moves there were many more games where he had two fouls in 2 minutes, the other team ran right by him to the basket and he didn't even know where he was supposed to be on the floor during many possessions. There were offensive possessions where Adams, Purvis or Vital were gesturing and screaming at him to move where he was supposed to be and he didn't even seem to notice they were addressing him.

Reaction Score
Personally, I believe Enoch was simply never given a chance. He was rarely on the floor for longer than a 5-6 minute stretch. Ollie saw this season falling apart. he saw Brimah was no better a player than he was last year, and he was constantly in foul trouble. Ollie had a chance to give Enoch a lot of experience this season, but he chose to stay with Brimah. I would have reversed the minutes, Enoch would of played a lot more, and to that effect, the fact that he is no longer here, is a direct by product of that. The kid got 20+ minutes in 3 games, and that was because of foul trouble by Brimah, and Facey. Maybe he didn't earn the time in practice, there are things I surely don't know about, but otherwise, I would have played Enoch 25 minutes a game, the team was going nowhere.
At times I would have liked to see Enoch get more playing time. From Ollie's perspective though, it was probably tough to reward someone who plays such poor defense with more playing time. I'm guessing if he played Brimah's minutes he would be the one in constant foul trouble.

I also would have preferred that Enoch get more time. But he was still pretty bad, even at the end of the floor that was supposedly his strength.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
There is so much, "I can has cheezeburger" in this thread, that it's a relief to read your post even if it doesn't come to a happy conclusion.

There were many years that The Boneyard wasn't a year round thing for me, and maybe it's time to check out until the end of the spring signing period. Or, perhaps, scan the Subject lines for hard news and intriguing OTs. In the meantime, I have all kinds of hip hop recommendations to check out via Spotify.

Something tells me Hans isn't going to be firing up his Tupac playlist on Spotify any time soon.

I, for one, got a lot out of that thread. :D

intlzncster

Reaction Score

The kid couldn't stay on the floor. There's not much chance he would have been able to play 25 minutes a game before fouling out. Or giving up 40 point nights to the guy he's guarding.

Reaction Score
I agree, and said it all season long. The knives are now out for Steve and It's understandable, but he showed some beautiful offensive moves at times and while Brimah had very good offensive shooting percentages, a lot of it was alleys on a platter, so that was with a grain of salt. Enoch had to actually make a move to get a basket. KO cast his lot with Brimah. Now if you are Enoch's father or advisor and you watch Brimah fumbling every pass, not rebounding or scoring, no moves of any kind, and saw the limited PT all season, you would have to be bitter to KO. When our season was shot he should have given Enoch his chance. KO thought he was making the tourney or sweeping the AAC with AB, I think he lost touch with reality and that frankly worries me about him going forward. Now we have nothing down low.

Reaction Score
The kid couldn't stay on the floor. There's not much chance he would have been able to play 25 minutes a game before fouling out. Or giving up 40 point nights to the guy he's guarding.

I do agree with you in part, but the facts offer some separation. Brimah commited a foul every 7.75 minutes, Enoch every 6.52 minutes. Brimah as a freshman averaged a foul every 5.59 minutes. The point is if the kid is getting more significant minutes, and is treated like a prospect, instead of a suspect, maybe his numbers go down. Maybe his defense remains poor, maybe it improves, but the kid had to be on the floor longer to find that out, and it never happened. Brimah was a great off the ball defender, he was a poor on the ball defender.

Reaction Score
This would have been much better if we were involved with guys like we were last year. Sure could use some guys like Isaac Vann or Taurean Thompson (have to imagine he'd have come here if our front court looked like this last year). Both of which we had a real shot at.

Reaction Score
I do agree with you in part, but the facts offer some separation. Brimah commited a foul every 7.75 minutes, Enoch every 6.52 minutes. Brimah as a freshman averaged a foul every 5.59 minutes. The point is if the kid is getting more significant minutes, and is treated like a prospect, instead of a suspect, maybe his numbers go down. Maybe his defense remains poor, maybe it improves, but the kid had to be on the floor longer to find that out, and it never happened. Brimah was a great off the ball defender, he was a poor on the ball defender.

Enoch was both a bad On ball and off ball defender. He was absolutely horrible at the two things we needed from a big: defense and rebounding.

Brimah was a better option.

Steve Enoch has potential, but this was not his year.

Don't kid yourself

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I was on here begging KO to give Enoch and Durham significant minutes during the season. Either KO doesn't read the BY or does and doesn't respect my basketball smarts, which, I have to tell you Kev, really hurts. The fact that neither guy got those minutes leads me to believe that KO didn't think they earned them and told them not to let the door hit you on the on the way out. If you're not a KO fan this is a sign of a sinking ship. If you're in the KO camp, which I am, he is saying in no uncertain it's my way or the highway. KO is going to try and do it with players who play his way. I think Ollie realizes he's got two years max to right the ship and he ain't gonna do it with SE and JD.

C

Chief00

I agree, and said it all season long. The knives are now out for Steve and It's understandable, but he showed some beautiful offensive moves at times and while Brimah had very good offensive shooting percentages, a lot of it was alleys on a platter, so that was with a grain of salt. Enoch had to actually make a move to get a basket. KO cast his lot with Brimah. Now if you are Enoch's father or advisor and you watch Brimah fumbling every pass, not rebounding or scoring, no moves of any kind, and saw the limited PT all season, you would have to be bitter to KO. When our season was shot he should have given Enoch his chance. KO thought he was making the tourney or sweeping the AAC with AB, I think he lost touch with reality and that frankly worries me about him going forward. Now we have nothing down low.
I agree KO loss touch with reality last season - between the injuries, self inflicted bad protocol "concussions", guys being totally out of conditioned, and then losing all communication with certain players. He needs to realize that he needs some good Bigs in an environment where they can develop and we need guys who can play together and make baskets.
Durham and Enoch are big loses given our very weak front court situation.

How much weight has Cobb's loss since he signed? We are losing S&C time - without a replacement in place.

Reaction Score
I agree KO loss touch with reality last season - between the injuries, self inflicted bad protocol "concussions", guys being totally out of conditioned, and then losing all communication with certain players. He needs to realize that he needs some good Bigs in an environment where they can develop and we need guys who can play together and make baskets.
Durham and Enoch are big loses given our very weak front court situation.

How much weight has Cobb's loss since he signed? We are losing S&C time - without a replacement in place.

Yeah I agree what was he thinking? He needed to play the guys that gave us even more of a chance to continue losing because they proved so much when they did hit the court. Must've been me losing my mind and actually thinking they both had a long way to to go and instead they just needed minutes to prove they could both be 12/8 guys. If some of you coached we'd still have the young phenoms in a Husky uniform and we'd be on the brink to yet another national title. Geez what was KO thinking?

So funny around here and sad.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Yeah I agree what was he thinking? He needed to play the guys that gave us even more of a chance to continue losing because they proved so much when they did hit the court. Must've been me losing my mind and actually thinking they both had a long way to to go and instead they just needed minutes to prove they could both be 12/8 guys. If some of you coached we'd still have the young phenoms in a Husky uniform and we'd be on the brink to yet another national title. Geez what was KO thinking?

If playing them would've made one of them stick around, we should've played them. Durham has real talent, Enoch has potential, and we have nobody who's played more than 2 min a game left on the roster. Playing brimah was shortsighted, if keeping one of the two was a realistic possibility.

Reaction Score
If playing them would've made one of them stick around, we should've played them. Durham has real talent, Enoch has potential, and we have nobody who's played more than 2 min a game left on the roster. Playing brimah was shortsighted, if keeping one of the two was a realistic possibility.

I think my thoughts on AB have been known for a while. Having said that he was our best option 90% of the time and ultimately we all want your team to win. I agree Enoch had potential but that's exactly what it was. He also had potential to allow every driver of the ball to go by him without a whimper and sometimes without him being anywhere close to where he should have been. On offense he would make a great move, one I amour all of us thinking "someday" but then he didn't finish, or he traveled. I wanted him to stay here and prove he could be something, same with Juwan. But both showed absolutely nothing to us and the staff that they could win minutes for AB and Facey I'm afraid. And let's be honest here, that's not good at all because this front court for the last 3-4 years could have easily been broken into by anyone worthy of playing solid basketball.

Though everyone was treated appropriately but kids these days think they are better than what they truly are I'm afraid.

Reaction Score
Brimah gave us a better chance to win, your absolutely correct, but there was a point in the season, that dictated it was time to get the returning kids a bigger role and see what they could do. The numbers were not as far apart as you think. Brimah averaged 7.6ppg and 6.1rpg, if you equate Enoch's pts/reb to the same minutes Brimah played he would be 7.2ppg and 5rpg. Certainly Brimah was the better option, all I am saying wouldn't Enoch be the better option knowing he was going to have to be the man next year? We never got that answer, all I am saying is, wouldn't it have been helpful to get an idea of that?

intlzncster

Reaction Score

This one cracks me up. Science has moved on, yet Chief is stuck is the middle ages. Apparently he hasn't seen all those former demented professional athletes who have mental problems in there later years. It's precautionary Chief. And everyone's doing the exact same thing. It's also a liability thing. Athletics will never revert back to a stupider time. It's fortunate humans have gotten smarter.

And pretty sure KO's got a decent idea he needs some good bigs.

What's truly funny is that what Cobb could use the most is a guy like Travis Illian who emphasizes fitness over everything else.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Something tells me Hans isn't going to be firing up his Tupac playlist on Spotify any time soon.

I, for one, got a lot out of that thread. :D

In a Boneyard turned upside down, I was serious in my post.

My own collection is pretty meager: I've downloaded & burned library CDs by 2pac, Ghostface Killah, TI, Kanye, Jay Z, Beasties, Eminem, Wu-Tang, Tricky, Outcast, D12, but never listened much, or even some at all. My hard product collection on CD & cassette(!) maxes out with Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Public Enemy, Ice-T, NWA, EPMD, LL Cool J, 2 Live Crew, Terminator X, Dre, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, De la Soul, BDP, Us3, Queen Latifah, and a couple mixtapes made by a friend.

So, other than the "so much music, so little time" thing, I got a lot out of that thread too. And I'd rather go back there for reference that have a hijacked recruiting thread that gets locked up.

Reaction Score
Brimah gave us a better chance to win, your absolutely correct, but there was a point in the season, that dictated it was time to get the returning kids a bigger role and see what they could do. The numbers were not as far apart as you think. Brimah averaged 7.6ppg and 6.1rpg, if you equate Enoch's pts/reb to the same minutes Brimah played he would be 7.2ppg and 5rpg. Certainly Brimah was the better option, all I am saying wouldn't Enoch be the better option knowing he was going to have to be the man next year? We never got that answer, all I am saying is, wouldn't it have been helpful to get an idea of that?

I agree it would seem he cold've used the extra time but at the same time the job is his if he can improve. Why leave? Seems to me he made this decision long ago thinking he was better than he actually is but that's just me. I mean what kid in his right mind would sit out a year when the opening is there, where you are? Makes no sense. I would loved to see what he had, but his defense really was so atrocious he was tough to put on the court.

Hind sight, but man kids need it to wrapped up now and handed to them. Screw them if they don't want to earn their PT.

Reaction Score
Enoch also shot 41% from the field. The guy who was allegedly the better offensive player couldn't finish. The only thing he did better than Brimah was shoot free throws (68% to 62%). When adjusted for minutes played, he blocked fewer shots and grabbed fewer rebounds.

He didn't deserve 1 minute more than he played.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You're also pretty dumb not to realize that we should be sending kids out to play with concussions.

Reaction Score
I agree it would seem he cold've used the extra time but at the same time the job is his if he can improve. Why leave? Seems to me he made this decision long ago thinking he was better than he actually is but that's just me. I mean what kid in his right mind would sit out a year when the opening is there, where you are? Makes no sense. I would loved to see what he had, but his defense really was so atrocious he was tough to put on the court.

Hind sight, but man kids need it to wrapped up now and handed to them. Screw them if they don't want to earn their PT.

He was going to be our starting center, unless Carlton beats him out. If you're a Junior who is concerned about losing PT to a freshman, perhaps it is best for you to move on because you might not be that good.

When his dad is done complaining about his lack of development, I'd like to know how Ollie was responsible for Enoch's 41% FG shooting. Aside from that, on the defensive end, the game was obviously too fast for him at this level.

Reaction Score
This has no real answers yet, he may go to a P-5 conference, and be a total bust, or he may go there, and be a double-double guy, in either case, those slaying him now, or those wondering why?....will have their day.

Reaction Score
I consider this. Look at any sport, and a team that has had a poor season. Almost always, a coach comes to the point of realization, that you can no longer salvage a bad season. They start to experiment looking ahead to the next year. If you believe that Enoch was going to have the starting C role next year to lose, why would it be a bad thing to throw him in the fire for 25 minutes a night, and see if his numbers improved with time on the court? If you don't get this answer, aren't you starting from the sme place next year anyway, only without adding some game experience? If you give him 25+ minutes a night, and you see no change, then at leat you know the next recruiting period, big is a major priority.

Reaction Score

Am I the only one who wants a lineup out there that gives UConn the maximum chance to win? I don't care what the record is. Put the best kids out there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom