KO's next steps on the recruiting trail | Page 4 | The Boneyard

KO's next steps on the recruiting trail

Reaction Score
I agree it would seem he cold've used the extra time but at the same time the job is his if he can improve. Why leave? Seems to me he made this decision long ago thinking he was better than he actually is but that's just me. I mean what kid in his right mind would sit out a year when the opening is there, where you are? Makes no sense. I would loved to see what he had, but his defense really was so atrocious he was tough to put on the court.

Hind sight, but man kids need it to wrapped up now and handed to them. Screw them if they don't want to earn their PT.

The team was such a huge problem this year. With Enoch out there, we had 6 foot guards drive the lane straight for layups. With Brimah in there, that didn't happen. What did happen is that the ball would get tossed into Brimah and he'd either take a horrific shot or else turn it over. Both of these guys were disasters on opposite ends of the floor.

The only way to mitigate this? Play Brimah and never ever ever throw the ball into him on the blocks. He had so few offensive rebounds--you might as well just have him at the top of the key setting picks. But even that was fraught with danger as he frequently was called for moving picks.

How do you hide the lack of ability of the frontcourt?

Reaction Score
I agree KO loss touch with reality last season - between the injuries, self inflicted bad protocol "concussions", guys being totally out of conditioned, and then losing all communication with certain players. He needs to realize that he needs some good Bigs in an environment where they can develop and we need guys who can play together and make baskets.
Durham and Enoch are big loses given our very weak front court situation.

How much weight has Cobb's loss since he signed? We are losing S&C time - without a replacement in place.

We're saying they were out of condition because Jalen was huffing it?

The last time UConn had a guard like Jalen, and that guy is Kemba Walker, he used to also bend over and just take breaks on O at points in the game. Maybe when you're asking a guy to be the guy bringing the ball up AND also the guy driving for baskets, he is going to tire out, no matter the condition he is in?

Reaction Score
Brimah's effort got him the captaincy 3x. What if the departed didn't work as hard on practice and training? A coach can't encourage work and play people who work less than those who are on the bench. The 3 of them seemed a little soft and we know Jackson didn't come in game shape. Compare them to Vital who seemed to grow a size as the season went on.

I think KO maybe learns to keep a kid happy enough to stay signed while still encouraging improvement. However, a big problem seems to be that some of the departed saw a bad season and a thin front court as empowering and KO didn't agree to surrender control.

C

Chief00

We're saying they were out of condition because Jalen was huffing it?

The last time UConn had a guard like Jalen, and that guy is Kemba Walker, he used to also bend over and just take breaks on O at points in the game. Maybe when you're asking a guy to be the guy bringing the ball up AND also the guy driving for baskets, he is going to tire out, no matter the condition he is in?

Are you kidding? Kemba had limitless energy!

Reaction Score
Are you kidding? Kemba had limitless energy!

Kemba was bent over huffing in parts of every game. He had to take plays off ON the court. This isn't a detraction at all.

But while we complement players that have inexhaustible energy, realize that they weren't carrying the same load that Kemba and Jalen were. They are not doing everything.

We had no PG other than Jalen this year. He was also the best scorer on the team.

The only guy I can think of who was indefatigable compared to Kemba and Jalen was Ryan Boatright in 2014-2015.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Brimah's effort got him the captaincy 3x. What if the departed didn't work as hard on practice and training? A coach can't encourage work and play people who work less than those who are on the bench. The 3 of them seemed a little soft and we know Jackson didn't come in game shape. Compare them to Vital who seemed to grow a size as the season went on.

I think KO maybe learns to keep a kid happy enough to stay signed while still encouraging improvement. However, a big problem seems to be that some of the departed saw a bad season and a thin front court as empowering and KO didn't agree to surrender control.

The disconnect that happened shouldn't have and its KO's responsibility to manage all that.

C

Chief00

Kemba was bent over huffing in parts of every game. He had to take plays off ON the court. This isn't a detraction at all.

But while we complement players that have inexhaustible energy, realize that they weren't carrying the same load that Kemba and Jalen were. They are not doing everything.

We had no PG other than Jalen this year. He was also the best scorer on the team.

The only guy I can think of who was indefatigable compared to Kemba and Jalen was Ryan Boatright in 2014-2015.

I like Jalen but comparing his stamina and energy level to Kemba'sis a complete joke. I did not see Kemba take many plays off. What on Earth were you watching?

Reaction Score
I consider this. Look at any sport, and a team that has had a poor season. Almost always, a coach comes to the point of realization, that you can no longer salvage a bad season. They start to experiment looking ahead to the next year. If you believe that Enoch was going to have the starting C role next year to lose, why would it be a bad thing to throw him in the fire for 25 minutes a night, and see if his numbers improved with time on the court? If you don't get this answer, aren't you starting from the sme place next year anyway, only without adding some game experience? If you give him 25+ minutes a night, and you see no change, then at leat you know the next recruiting period, big is a major priority.
This season wasn't lost until we were out of the conference tournament. With the tournament being played on our home court, we had a chance at the NCAA tourney, and the guys who give the team the best chance to win, deserve to play.

Am I the only one who wants a lineup out there that gives UConn the maximum chance to win? I don't care what the record is. Put the best kids out there.
No you aren't.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
This season wasn't lost until we were out of the conference tournament. With the tournament being played on our home court, we had a chance at the NCAA tourney, and the guys who give the team the best chance to win, deserve to play.

^^^ This. 100% this.

It's simple, really. In basketball, the season is never over until you are eliminated from your tournament...

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Weird how this is lost on people.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I like Jalen but comparing his stamina and energy level to Kemba'sis a complete joke. I did not see Kemba take many plays off. What on Earth were you watching?
Kemba only sat for 11 minutes over the 5 games in 5 days at MSG in 2011. That's 199 out of 210 possible minutes including two games that went into OT. I agree, his stamina deserves legendary status and to point to him putting his hands to his knees to equate his stamina to Jalen's is not accurate in my opinion.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
In a Boneyard turned upside down, I was serious in my post.

My own collection is pretty meager: I've downloaded & burned library CDs by 2pac, Ghostface Killah, TI, Kanye, Jay Z, Beasties, Eminem, Wu-Tang, Tricky, Outcast, D12, but never listened much, or even some at all. My hard product collection on CD & cassette(!) maxes out with Grandmaster Flash, Sugar Hill Gang, Public Enemy, Ice-T, NWA, EPMD, LL Cool J, 2 Live Crew, Terminator X, Dre, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, De la Soul, BDP, Us3, Queen Latifah, and a couple mixtapes made by a friend.

So, other than the "so much music, so little time" thing, I got a lot out of that thread too. And I'd rather go back there for reference that have a hijacked recruiting thread that gets locked up.

Too funny! I stand corrected Hans. Mea culpa

Reaction Score
Kemba only sat for 11 minutes over the 5 games in 5 days at MSG in 2011. That's 199 out of 210 possible minutes including two games that went into OT. I agree, his stamina deserves legendary status and to point to him putting his hands to his knees to equate his stamina to Jalen's is not accurate in my opinion.

How much did Jalen sit? Barely ever.

Reaction Score
In case anyone is interested in recruiting info, the Nike EYBL & Adidas Gauntlet sessions are coming up end of next week. I’m sure Ollie & staff will be very active looking for potential 2018 targets and any possible 2017 re-classifiers during these weekends. Too bad a lot of the weekends overlap, so maybe Ollie & staff splits up and hit both?

2017 Nike EYBL sessions:
Session 1: April 21-23 -Hampton, VA
Session 2: April 28-30 – Indianapolis, IN
Session 3: May 12-14 – Atlanta, GA
Session 4: May 26-29 – Los Angeles, CA
These games have been available online in the past, though I don’t see any updates for 2017 yet.

2017 Adidas Gauntlet sessions:
Session 1: April 21-23 – Dallas, TX
Session 2: April 28-30 – Atlanta, GA
Regionals: May 26-29 - Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston
Finale: July 12-15 – Spartanburg, SC
Summer Championship: July 26-30 – Las Vegas
Not sure if the games are online.

Should be interesting seeing who they target over the next few months. I hope we stay on New Englander preps Simi Shittu, Sid Wilson, David Duke & AJ Reeves. Also it will be interesting how we do with Jahvon Quinerly, Moses Brown, Kofi Cockburn, Jalen Carey, Cam Reddish, etc. I’m sure we’ll probably hear some new names popping up too. Fun times… not all is bleak, think positive!

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I like the idea of go hard after both Alex Yetna & Isaac Kante. It would be interesting.
Why? We'll already have Diarra, Diarra, Carlton & Cobb as our bigs next year, and all 4 are projects in one way or another. We don't need another project big – at all. Especially since every 4-year project we take in 2017 means one less scholarship open for 2018's class.

We need a postgrad 5 who we know can play college hoops, and who we know can rebound.

Reaction Score
Why? We'll already have Diarra, Diarra, Carlton & Cobb as our bigs next year, and all 4 are projects in one way or another. We don't need another project big – at all. Especially since every 4-year project we take in 2017 means one less scholarship open for 2018's class.

We need a postgrad 5 who we know can play college hoops, and who we know can rebound.

To quote MamOUdou, I am not "a big man."

Reaction Score
A little

We need a postgrad 5 who we know can play college hoops, and who we know can rebound.[/QUOTE

A little presumptuous on the 2nd Diarra? At the current junction the last thing I would do is take something for granted especially when it comes to getting a recruit to commit.

Reaction Score
In case anyone is interested in recruiting info, the Nike EYBL & Adidas Gauntlet sessions are coming up end of next week. I’m sure Ollie & staff will be very active looking for potential 2018 targets and any possible 2017 re-classifiers during these weekends. Too bad a lot of the weekends overlap, so maybe Ollie & staff splits up and hit both?

2017 Nike EYBL sessions:
Session 1: April 21-23 -Hampton, VA
Session 2: April 28-30 – Indianapolis, IN
Session 3: May 12-14 – Atlanta, GA
Session 4: May 26-29 – Los Angeles, CA
These games have been available online in the past, though I don’t see any updates for 2017 yet.

2017 Adidas Gauntlet sessions:
Session 1: April 21-23 – Dallas, TX
Session 2: April 28-30 – Atlanta, GA
Regionals: May 26-29 - Los Angeles, Atlanta, Chicago, Boston
Finale: July 12-15 – Spartanburg, SC
Summer Championship: July 26-30 – Las Vegas
Not sure if the games are online.

Should be interesting seeing who they target over the next few months. I hope we stay on New Englander preps Simi Shittu, Sid Wilson, David Duke & AJ Reeves. Also it will be interesting how we do with Jahvon Quinerly, Moses Brown, Kofi Cockburn, Jalen Carey, Cam Reddish, etc. I’m sure we’ll probably hear some new names popping up too. Fun times… not all is bleak, think positive!

Recruiting info on a Recruiting thread.....the nerve!

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

People keep saying this. Did I miss the commitment?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who wants a lineup out there that gives UConn the maximum chance to win? I don't care what the record is. Put the best kids out there.
Nope, as in you're not the only one. JC is with you on this one outside of the one season he put in KFree at small forward.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The weird thing is we were two concussions and one ankle injury from easily having a 20-13 season.
Now that's now great by any stretch of the imagination. But it would have have minimized some of these OTT negative threads.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score

Ok you are right. Enthusiastically looking forward to the good news. We can do much better. Can't hit the rewind button now on Cobb et al.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom