Kortney Dunbar ('14) commits to Tennessee | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Kortney Dunbar ('14) commits to Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since you did mention Russell's Team USA experience, and you didn't seem to be very impressed by her performance, let's compare Stewie's USA 17 stats to Russell's and that might help put things in perspective. Stewie shot 40-70 for a 57% fg percentage, while Russell shot 32-50 for 64% fg percentage. Stewie avg 12.8, while Russell avg 8.9. Now Stewie did go to the line A BUNCH. 38 attempts and made 22 of them. So that def helped her scoring avg. Stewie also had several more steals, and blocks. Now I couldn't really find the average minutes they played, but I'm sure an intelligent poster here knows exactly where to find them lol. I guess my point here is that you really can't gleam any real clear cut analysis of how good a player is going to be by simply using Team USA stats, since both players put up similar numbers.

Not to belabor the point but Stewart played in the U17 in 2010, after her sophomore year in HS. She played with Kalena Lewis and Elizabeth Williams, and despite being the "kid" on the team was second in both scoring and rebounds despite limited minutes. That was when the national focus on her started. She has continued to play well over her age level in USA BB. The slump she had last season was all the more shocking because she has always dominated.
http://www.usab.com/womens/u17/wu17_2010.html

The rest of your post was very good IMO

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Some posters seem to be downplaying Kortney Dunbar as a legitimate threat simply because of her ranking. In some cases this may be the case and I can see the reasoning behind it, however, it's important to note that UCONN recruited Lexi Gussert pretty heavily, but she wasn't even ranked by any of the major recruiting services. I'm sure Geno and staff saw something in Lexi that made them think highly of her. Geno is a great recruiter and one of his strong points are finding players who aren't necessarily at the top of the rankings coming out of high school, but who have tremendous upside..Kelly Faris and Steph Dolson are a couple that come to mind. As far as Lexi is concerned, she put up pretty impressive high school numbers and will def be a nice perimeter threat for Michigan State. In Dunbar's case, I think she will thrive in Tennessee's system, mainly because of Russell. Russell will demand 2 or 3 people on her most times and I can see her kicking it back out to Dunbar for a lot of open three's. Simmons might also form a similar bond with Russell this year..

A couple of thoughts on the upcoming season..I can see UCONN going undefeated, but I don't think it will be quite an easy road as some might think. With Faris graduated, who will fill her shoes and provide that defensive spark that Faris always brought to the table. That's the big question mark in my mind and could become a key factor on whether UCONN repeats as national champs. Of course, Geno is known for putting a splendid defensive team together and I fully expect someone to step up and fill Kelly's shoes.

As a Tennessee fan, our team has many question marks as well. Will the perimeter defense improve? Which players will step up and provide the defensive intensity that was missing many times last season? Will Simmons make better decisions and will her game improve because of Russell? Will Burdick and Massengale step up and play to their abilities? Here's the big one..in the big games, will Tennessee play offense with crisp passing and a methodical offense, rather than depending on talent and individual one on one play. I think Russell will be the x factor for Tennessee and she will really open up a lot of great options for the other players.
Tenn will miss Kamiko more then UConn will miss Faris. My reasoning is this years version of the Huskies can put up a lot of points in their OOC schedule. In conference it will be how UConn will keep from running up the score. Russell is a big plus now Tenn needs to build around her. That means team ball. Tenn as a team needs to understand how to do that. Russell is a freshman and like all freshman will make frosh mistakes. Somebody needs to step up and plays need to be run. Tenn once again has the talent the question is can they put it together. Welcome to the board Box.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tony I think while Kamiko did have a real good year. I think Carter is going to be a special player.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Lastly, Russell "demanding" 2 or 3 people on her most times? Um... If that happens, it either means Tennessee is really a lousy team (as in Delaware with 2-3 people draped on Elena Delle Donne "most of the time"), or she has the most amazing potential of any top 3 kid in the history of basketball (I may have exaggerated that just a bit). She's not the consensus #1, hasn't swept every (or even most) of the NPOY awards, and aside from one really good performance in ONE of the all star games, has never dominated vis-a-vis her peers. In her last Team USA experience, she was the 4th leading scorer on her own team, and the 2nd or 3rd leading rebounder. Athletic? Sure. Potential? Sure. Now name me the last center not named Parker who excelled and was developed incredibly well at Tennessee. Maybe Deadra Charles? Because it certainly wasn't Snow, Pillow, Robinson, Fluker, Anosike, Redding, Fuller, Dupree, Cain, Gray, or Brewer.

Now to be fair, Harrison has developed much better than most outside of Tennessee thought, but it remains to be seen just how "great" Russell is. She has nowhere near the resume of Griner, Stewart, KML, Delle Donne, Ogwumike, or any of the other #1 players in recent years.

And who all is in that long list of centers from UConn that have had a long lasting career in the W? I'm having trouble putting it together. I also don't see how you can include Gray, Dupree, Fuller, Cain, or even Redding on the list. Redding was not a 4/5. Fuller had deabilitating injuries, as did Gray and Cain, similar to Michaela Johnson. Then there's Fluker, who had some time in the WNBA, unlike Kaili McLaren. No need to include players that left the program like Brewer and Dupree, unless you're ready to start counting the likes of Jessica McCormack and Samarie Walker. Pillow, like Jamelle Elliott, have found their future in coaching. Then there's Gray and it's totally unfair to mention her. Meantime, players like Snow and Robinson have had lengthy careers in the W. Anosike was a one time All Star and I doubt the W is over for her, but I find she and Jessica Moore to be similar types. Gritty players that will do all the tough work to help their teams win, but never going to be much of an offensive threat. Of course there's Candace and Glory Johnson, who was a very raw basketball player and is now an All Star in the W.

U

UCONNfan1

And who all is in that long list of centers from UConn that have had a long lasting career in the W? I'm having trouble putting it together. I also don't see how you can include Gray, Dupree, Fuller, Cain, or even Redding on the list. Redding was not a 4/5. Fuller had deabilitating injuries, as did Gray and Cain, similar to Michaela Johnson. Then there's Fluker, who had some time in the WNBA, unlike Kaili McLaren. No need to include players that left the program like Brewer and Dupree, unless you're ready to start counting the likes of Jessica McCormack and Samarie Walker. Pillow, like Jamelle Elliott, have found their future in coaching. Then there's Gray and it's totally unfair to mention her. Meantime, players like Snow and Robinson have had lengthy careers in the W. Anosike was a one time All Star and I doubt the W is over for her, but I find she and Jessica Moore to be similar types. Gritty players that will do all the tough work to help their teams win, but never going to be much of an offensive threat. Of course there's Candace and Glory Johnson, who was a very raw basketball player and is now an All Star in the W.
Seriously? Ok then. I'll play. Ashja Jones, Tamika Williams, Kelly Schumacher, Jessica Moore, Charde Houson, Tina Charles. And then of course Stef Dolson. Tennessee has a long history of not really developing centers, but if you want to include other post players, how did Shyra Ely work out? Great WNBA career she had. Really developed at Tennessee. Robinson was the other #1 recruit besides Taurasi that year. Snow? top 5 kid right? Solid WNBA career for sure. But she certainly wasn't developed like Tina Charles was.

I think by now everyone realizes Pat's offense consisted mostly of strong guard and wing play, with missed shots being cleaned up by the post players and that very little was run through them, Parker excepted. Play stifling defense, and hit the offensive boards to clean up misses.

I find it amusing that you compare Anosike to Moore. Jess Moore - was she even in the top 50? I think she was in the low 40's by the services that year. Wasn't Anosike top 10? Top 15 at the worst. So I guess you are saying that Geno took a kid no one thought much of out of high school and parleyed that into an 8+ year WNBA career while Pat took a top 10'ish kid Nikki who was waived this year after 5 seasons in the WNBA.

Reaction Score

The post was about Russell, not UConn.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Seriously? Ok then. I'll play. Ashja Jones, Tamika Williams, Kelly Schumacher, Jessica Moore, Charde Houson, Tina Charles. And then of course Stef Dolson. Tennessee has a long history of not really developing centers, but if you want to include other post players, how did Shyra Ely work out? Great WNBA career she had. Really developed at Tennessee. Robinson was the other #1 recruit besides Taurasi that year. Snow? top 5 kid right? Solid WNBA career for sure. But she certainly wasn't developed like Tina Charles was.

I think by now everyone realizes Pat's offense consisted mostly of strong guard and wing play, with missed shots being cleaned up by the post players and that very little was run through them, Parker excepted. Play stifling defense, and hit the offensive boards to clean up misses.

I find it amusing that you compare Anosike to Moore. Jess Moore - was she even in the top 50? I think she was in the low 40's by the services that year. Wasn't Anosike top 10? Top 15 at the worst. So I guess you are saying that Geno took a kid no one thought much of out of high school and parleyed that into an 8+ year WNBA career while Pat took a top 10'ish kid Nikki who was waived this year after 5 seasons in the WNBA.
Plus, JMo was from Alaska. I know of a lot of great UConn players, but very few Yukon players get into the WNBA and get a chance to pull down 451 rebounds. Takes special coaching to take a prospect dressed like icebear and turn her into a winner.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
While Kortney Dunbar received a lot of love from Prospects Nation in the recent adjustment to their rankings, apparently Bret McCormick of All Star Girls Report remains less impressed. In a story today in ASGR (LINK), he speaks about Tennessee's 2014 class in glowing terms, yet ranks both players fairly low:

Tennessee: Alexa Middleton, No. 39, 5-9, PG; Kortney Dunbar, No. 97, 6-1, WF.
McCormick on the Lady Vols: ”Middleton is a Tennessee native who is very fundamental. She shoots the ball well, and she is a hard nosed competitor who knows how to win. Dunbar has unbelievable shooting range. She is a ‘maker,’ not just a shooter.”

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Yes, I'll play. How'd that development work out for Ann Strothers? Wasn't she also a #1 recruit that never panned out for the W? At least Ely has held on to several roster spots. Anosike was a face up player when she arrived at TN. She lasted for 5 years in the W as a post player and that was from the development at TN. There are more scenarios, but it's ridiculous to continue this running theme about players not developing when you can find just as many players in each program that didn't live up to their billing. Many high school rankings are based on potential. Some players simply get to college and don't put in the work. Some players were over ranked. There are various reasons. I have often wondered why Maya doesn't have better ball handling ability. Is that because of Geno or is that because she didn't put in the work? I have also wondered what has happened to Hornbuckle's shot. Is it because she broke her shooting hand and never recovered? Was it Pat? or was it not putting in the work? Why is Harrison developing so well at the post position, when Stokes seems to be struggling? Is it development, work ethic, coaching, etc.? None of us know the exact reasons why one player will develop greatly and the next one won't, but there are too many success stories to ascertain that there is no development. Both programs have more players in the W than any other university. In large part because of the level of talent that enters each program. Candace Parker and Taurasi would have excelled any where.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yes, I'll play. How'd that development work out for Ann Strothers? Wasn't she also a #1 recruit that never panned out for the W? At least Ely has held on to several roster spots. Anosike was a face up player when she arrived at TN. She lasted for 5 years in the W as a post player and that was from the development at TN. There are more scenarios, but it's ridiculous to continue this running theme about players not developing when you can find just as many players in each program that didn't live up to their billing. Many high school rankings are based on potential. Some players simply get to college and don't put in the work. Some players were over ranked. There are various reasons. I have often wondered why Maya doesn't have better ball handling ability. Is that because of Geno or is that because she didn't put in the work? I have also wondered what has happened to Hornbuckle's shot. Is it because she broke her shooting hand and never recovered? Was it Pat? or was it not putting in the work? Why is Harrison developing so well at the post position, when Stokes seems to be struggling? Is it development, work ethic, coaching, etc.? None of us know the exact reasons why one player will develop greatly and the next one won't, but there are too many success stories to ascertain that there is no development. Both programs have more players in the W than any other university. In large part because of the level of talent that enters each program. Candace Parker and Taurasi would have excelled any where.

Five years in the W I believe is far better than the average.

Reaction Score

Why is Harrison developing so well at the post position, when Stokes seems to be struggling?
'
Not struggling. Harrison played the 5 because there was no one else on the team to do it. She'd be sitting behind Dolson too. Stokes has offensive issues but her defense, rebounding and strength in the paint are all more advanced than Harrison, who is more of a 4 than a 5. Stokes showed me all I needed to see when she locked down Williams last year.
You have a valid point about development. Both programs do that well. I'd guess Tenn spends more time on individual skills since their offense relies on one-on-one play, while UConn, who passes more to create offense focusses more on team skills. passing, screening and defense.
While Tenn has sent some good players to the W their college success has been less than expected for a number of years. Last year's senior class had 2 WNBA first round picks and yet no FF's while they played for Tenn

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, I'll play. How'd that development work out for Ann Strothers? Wasn't she also a #1 recruit that never panned out for the W?

There are two issues with Annie's development.

1. Geno had to play her in the post her junior and, especially, her senior year. She doesn't have a forwards instincts or skills so she did not do particularly well.

2. Annie was a victim of the child molester Rick Lopez, who was her AAU coach in Colorado. He was arrested during her junior year in college and all of the lurid stories came out that year. Not only was Ann's name in the press but opposing players used the incidents for trash-talk, the most famous of which spurred Cappiegate in 2005. How can that not affect a 21 year old girl? It was a horrible time for her.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
Thank you HuskyNan for proving my point. Annie's situation was more publically known, but the truth is that many players have issues, but the public may not know what they are. They could have physical injuries that are far more serious than perceived or something else going on their lives. Something in the way of their ability to fully apply themselves or in the way for them to fully engage both physically and mentally. Who knows the reasons, but it's not as cut and dry as "development". Each player has the ability to make the most of it, if they can or will.

Reaction Score
So Saniya Chong is just underrated because UConn got her. Tennessee gets someone outside the Top 50 and she is not going to make an impact and practically a useless recruit. You guys can be overconfident all you want about this National Championship, but don't whine when Meighan Simmons leads the Lady Vols past UConn in the NC game against UConn in Bridgestone aka Thompson Boling West.

VolFan, not going to happen! You and other Tennessee Fans can spin it anyway you want, but the vols are not beating UCONN even if they play the game in your backyard. I think its time you joined the real world.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Personally, I do not think the Lady Vols make it to Nashville.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And the inability to win against quality opponents on the road.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I think the only thing that will keep Tennessee from Nashville is injuries. Andraya Carter is one reason here is a interview. http://www.utsports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/091113aab.html
I would bet copious amounts of money (and I'll see if I can swindle meyers7 or icebear into giving me big odds to boot) that the Vols are indeed definitely going to Nashville injuries or no injuries, since I see they are scheduled to play Vandy there on Jan 12. And they do somewhat cheekily have the schedule filled out through the FF on the UTenn site, though if that trip is not made there needs to be some extra work done to tidying up the schedule at the end of the season, as has happened for the last 5 years. UConn being of a humbler stripe is not taking much for granted and just has the schedule filled out through the known locations through the AAC tourney.

Injuries are always the great unknown that can derail a team, but I personally avoid mentioning the possibility for my favorites so as to keep their mojo going strong. Whatever happens, happens.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
They may well lose in Nashville to Vandy and if so they will not return to Nashville in April.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I would bet copious amounts of money (and I'll see if I can swindle meyers7 or icebear into giving me big odds to boot) that the Vols are indeed definitely going to Nashville injuries or no injuries,
Well I am easily swindled, however one will find there is very little to swindle me out of. But I will gladly give big odds.....on whatever. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom