Kortney Dunbar ('14) commits to Tennessee | The Boneyard

Kortney Dunbar ('14) commits to Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Congratulations to Tennessee and Ms Dunbar.

How does this commitment fit into their current roster? What will she add to the Lady Vols?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score

How does this commitment fit into their current roster? What will she add to the Lady Vols?
Thanks. I don't know a lot about her yet. I understand that she is a good shooter. So she will add that. She will add another player next years roster to 11.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

She is considered a very good perimeter shooter. Per vowelguy in the Uncommitted Recruits thread, her composite ranking is #89. I'm not sure why she is ranked so low but the services are pretty consistent in their ranking of her. Tenn needs to surround Russell with good shooters and I'm sure Warlick hopes Dunbar can help fill that role. She was also considering Louisville and Baylor and perhaps others.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Sp, now they have composite #27 in Middleton and #89 Dunbar.

I'm sure they will get others, but to me this shows the impact of Pat leaving and the future of Tennessee recruiting.

Tennessee's fans are now saying that their recruits are all under ranked.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I'm just gonna say the same thing they said when we landed Sadie Edwards...

"Meh"

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I'm just gonna say the same thing they said when we landed Sadie Edwards...

"Meh"
Perhaps, but she's ranked in the top 10 per Prospect Nation. Or whatever the name of that recruiting service that started up when those folks left Hoopgurlz. And by the way, she is ranked higher by them than Courtney and Gabby.

They were saying on the Summitt that Alexa has "been outplaying ALL the guards rated ahead of her all summer" maybe with the exception of Mitchell. So by their logic she's a top 10 kid.

Still, congrats to the program for landing Middleton, and now Dunbar! In the past kids outside the top 10 would get a reaction of "they will be nice backup or role players". Now it seems the reaction is "they are woefully under-ranked and will be big time complementary players to go along with Russell". We will see eventually, won't we?

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Perhaps, but she's ranked in the top 10 per Prospect Nation. Or whatever the name of that recruiting service that started up when those folks left Hoopgurlz. And by the way, she is ranked higher by them than Courtney and Gabby.

Totally agree Eric!

I just like annoying the UT trolls ;)

They know who they are(not the nice ones that post on here that we get along with)!!

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
She is considered a very good perimeter shooter. Per vowelguy in the Uncommitted Recruits thread, her composite ranking is #89. I'm not sure why she is ranked so low but the services are pretty consistent in their ranking of her. Tenn needs to surround Russell with good shooters and I'm sure Warlick hopes Dunbar can help fill that role. She was also considering Louisville and Baylor and perhaps others.
Next year the shooters will be Carter, Reynolds, Massengale, Dunbar, and Middleton. That's pretty good group. I think that a post or a wing player also may commit.

Reaction Score
I find it really entertaining to read the comments from both the Summitt and the boneyard when the opposing team gets a commit. It's not all members but the majority can not bring themselves to admitting that either school is getting top talent. They may not be the best overall recruit in their respective class but are brought in because they are the best at a specific aspect of the game. For example Ekmark and Dunbar are both suppose to be premiere shooters, at this point, most would agree that Ekmark is the better of the two.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I find it really entertaining to read the comments from both the Summitt and the boneyard when the opposing team gets a commit. It's not all members but the majority can not bring themselves to admitting that either school is getting top talent. They may not be the best overall recruit in their respective class but are brought in because they are the best at a specific aspect of the game. For example Ekmark and Dunbar are both suppose to be premiere shooters, at this point, most would agree that Ekmark is the better of the two.

#1. Which one of the Tennessee 2014 recruits is a premier talent?

#2. Where did you read that Dunbar is a premier shooter?

Reaction Score
Anyone in the top 100 from any recruiting service would be considered top talent. However, I would say with any given class there are from 1-3 possible game changers. Last year it was Deshields, Davis, and Russell. In 2012 I would have said Breanna, Lloyd and possibly Jones. This year I would say Turner, Mitchell, and Wilson. There is a difference between top or premier talent and what I call possible game changers. I guess it is a difference in terminology.

Reaction Score
I believe it was Keil Moore that said it was a three way race for best shooter in the class between Dunbar, Jaycee Coe, and Ekmark.
The reason we may not get top 10 talent this year is the same reason you didn't last year. After a class with a number 1 or top 5 player, top kids see a depth chart to get past. This class will replace Meighan Simmons who the Tennessee staff developed from #24 player in the class to SEC Co-POY and All-Amercan. Simmons has a lot of maturing to do, but she really has improved since her freshman season. That said, we're replacing a SG ranked #24 with a Top 30 Como-Guard, a Top 100 Small-Forward, (the 6'2 Dunbar) and presumably the top 15 W, Jaime Nared (6'1). Nared will visit soon and is a LV lean. My first time posting, but I am a respectful fan, and come here to discuss basketball and recruiting.

Reaction Score
Tennessee also has a shot, I think, to add either Cuevas, or Calvert, and possibly Jatarie White.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I believe it was Keil Moore that said it was a three way race for best shooter in the class between Dunbar, Jaycee Coe, and Ekmark.
The reason we may not get top 10 talent this year is the same reason you didn't last year. After a class with a number 1 or top 5 player, top kids see a depth chart to get past. This class will replace Meighan Simmons who the Tennessee staff developed from #24 player in the class to SEC Co-POY and All-Amercan. Simmons has a lot of maturing to do, but she really has improved since her freshman season. That said, we're replacing a SG ranked #24 with a Top 30 Como-Guard, a Top 100 Small-Forward, (the 6'2 Dunbar) and presumably the top 15 W, Jaime Nared (6'1). Nared will visit soon and is a LV lean. My first time posting, but I am a respectful fan, and come here to discuss basketball and recruiting.

I'm glad you are here and honest debate is welcomed.

Tennessee has only a 10 team roster, and only brought in two players. Russell is a top recruit, ranked anywhere for 1-3 in the recruiting services. Reynolds is ranked 42nd and the tenth best guard. I don't see how that class compares to getting three players ranked 1,2 and 6.

I disagree about Simmons. She is the same player she was in HS. Watch the SEC tourney loss to A&M. And just focus on Simmons. If this is an example of the Tennessee saff improving someone, well...bad news for TN fans. Williams is a better example of a player that developed. TN will miss her. Tennessee will be better once Simmons graduates.

As Uconn has found out plenty of times, leaning is not close to committing.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Anyone in the top 100 from any recruiting service would be considered top talent. However, I would say with any given class there are from 1-3 possible game changers. Last year it was Deshields, Davis, and Russell. In 2012 I would have said Breanna, Lloyd and possibly Jones. This year I would say Turner, Mitchell, and Wilson. There is a difference between top or premier talent and what I call possible game changers. I guess it is a difference in terminology.

That is just not true. There is a big difference in the talent of players in the top 25 and players 50-100. The talent pool is just not big enough.

If Dunbar is one of the top ten shooters in the country, she would be ranked higher.

Reaction Score
I find it really entertaining to read the comments from both the Summitt and the boneyard when the opposing team gets a commit. It's not all members but the majority can not bring themselves to admitting that either school is getting top talent.

I would not consider a #89 ranking as "top talent". Perhaps she's underrated, and indeed the ranking services are in the midst of a fall update so perhaps she'll end up higher, but I don't get too excited when UConn gets someone outside the top 30 or 40.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
That is just not true. There is a big difference in the talent of players in the top 25 and players 50-100. The talent pool is just not big enough.

If Dunbar is one of the top ten shooters in the country, she would be ranked higher.
Maybe she's about the same level as Lauren Engeln - a pretty good guard who was ranked 50, 95, 43, and 30 by the services at the time for a composite ranking of about 55. Just trying to relate the player to UCONN fans who don't follow other teams as much can put into perspective.

With Sadie Edwards, she was ranked lower until she blew up a little bit ago and now she's 35, 39, 12 and 8. Chong was ranked by HG at 75 and they never altered it, but Blue Star updated their rankings taking her from 72 to 30. Not sure where she "deserves" to be, but she was one of the 5 best players on the WCBA all star teams.

As you say, if she were one of the top 3 shooters in the nation, she'd be ranked much higher. It will be interesting to see if any of the services "update" their rankings and if any of the players make a big jump.

Reaction Score
Dunbar was unranked by HG/PN until they saw her at a showcase event this past summer. Out of sight, out of mind? Or did the ranking change happen because of the Tenn offer?
Sometimes a coach will take a chance on a project. A great shooter with size is rare. You can teach BB skills. You can't teach 6' 2" with extended range.
Just glad her name isn't Wilson. :)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I would not consider a #89 ranking as "top talent". Perhaps she's underrated, and indeed the ranking services are in the midst of a fall update so perhaps she'll end up higher, but I don't get too excited when UConn gets someone outside the top 30 or 40.

Jessica Moore was ranked #34 (ASGR) as was Kelly Faris (HoopGurlz).

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Jessica Moore was ranked #34 (ASGR) as was Kelly Faris (HoopGurlz).
I get excited about every Uconn recruit, just like the TN fans are happy with who they get.

Geno has a found a few diamonds in the rough.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I get excited about every Uconn recruit, just like the TN fans are happy with who they get.

Geno has a found a few diamonds in the rough.

I agree. I figure that unlike most of us, Geno and his assistants have actually watched the recruits play a number of times, talked to the AAU and high school coaches about what intangibles the players might add to the team, and have met the player and her family and know the quality of the individual he's recruiting. Geno's had only a handful of recruit who may have ended up in the wrong system for her so it's obvious he knows what he's doing. Holly W. has been around the recruiting block a few times, too, and she must feel Dunbar is what the LVs need. Good for her getting her target and good for Dunbar, too.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree. I figure that unlike most of us, Geno and his assistants have actually watched the recruits play a number of times, talked to the AAU and high school coaches about what intangibles the players might add to the team, and have met the player and her family and know the quality of the individual he's recruiting. Geno's had only a handful of recruit who may have ended up in the wrong system for her so it's obvious he knows what he's doing. Holly W. has been around the recruiting block a few times, too, and she must feel Dunbar is what the LVs need. Good for her getting her target and good for Dunbar, too.

Totally agree. But it's also fair to comment on the rankings of these recruits and how rare it is for the recruits over a certain number rarely impact a program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom