Kortney Dunbar ('14) commits to Tennessee | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Kortney Dunbar ('14) commits to Tennessee

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Well I am easily swindled, however one will find there is very little to swindle me out of. But I will gladly give big odds.....on whatever. ;)
Great, then I'll take those 1000:1 odds against the Vols and bet a crisp green Millard Filmore bill on it.

Now watch, a humongous snowstorm hits Nashville on January 12 and the schools decide not to make up the game since the interest in the Vols and Commodores match-up has completely died, and UTenn never makes it to Nashville after all.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I sense that they (UTenn) will be a fine team.
Underestimating them like we did that group from South Bend, last year is perhaps an error.
Fine is not necessarily the same as "final" the first word in FF. UTenn was fine the last three years, really fine but ambushed by a Bear in 2010, and just not very on-the-Ball fine in 2009. Not sure where you get the "we" or the "underestimated" part about ND, since most UConn fans can kind of remember when a team has been in the NC game for two years straight and that despite some key graduations have played like a top 4 team in the first two months of the season. Louisville probably could have been considered underrated last year on the BY, though much of that feeling came from the way the Huskies handled the Cards during the season and the 9 losses, which were one more than the Vols piled up.

The Vols finished among the top 8 (NCAA tourney) or 9 (USA Today poll) teams in the nation in 2013, but after losing two key players with Taber Spani and Kamiko Williams, I think most fans with blue tinted glasses would need to see some evidence that a young developing squad with hand-grenade Simmons as a ball conduit is ready for the long trip to Nashville after missing the FF for half a decade.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hardly think anyone is underestimating Tennessee. Good grief - they were put at #3 in the most recent preseason poll. Obviously people out there feel they are a final 4 caliber team. On paper, Tennessee has the 3rd most talented team behind UCONN and Duke only (IMHO), but I'd put them behind ND at the very least. It seems they are finally starting to develop post players - something that bodes well for Russell. In fact, I'd imagine Harrison starts over Russell - probably for most of the year. As I said before, I think Tennessee fans, in their giddiness of landing Russell, have projected her to be the next Parker or Griner. I just don't see it based on everything she's done up to now, but who knows how she will develop. Tennessee has a huge history of top 5 recruits not exactly ending up as great NPOY type of players. I actually think Graves has that potential, and probably will be their best player this season.

But it will be a long season and I think Tennessee's relatively weak schedule will allow them to go almost undefeated this year. No Duke, no UCONN, no Maryland, no Louisville. The top 10 teams they play are Stanford and Notre Dame. I think UNC is also top 10 but playing them right out the gate with UNC's strength mostly their freshmen and sophomores will prove not big challenge for Tennessee. Kentucky? I guess they are top 10 as well. But a very favorable schedule for them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Great, then I'll take those 1000:1 odds against the Vols and bet a crisp green Millard Filmore bill on it.

Now watch, a humongous snowstorm hits Nashville on January 12 and the schools decide not to make up the game since the interest in the Vols and Commodores match-up has completely died, and UTenn never makes it to Nashville after all.
I only deal in Mallard Filmore bills, but not tomorrow. ;)

Reaction Score
Aren't boxers the best:) I have two that keep me on my toes :confused:
I love boxers but Goldens own my heart! I'll raise ya a golden, I got 3 and a 15 year old Jack Russell Terror who thinks he is still a puppy.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
But it will be a long season and I think Tennessee's relatively weak schedule will allow them to go almost undefeated this year.
Wait a minute, UConn plays an AAC conference schedule? UTenn lines up a mainly cream puff schedule?

Whatever happened to the good old days when every team knew that the important title they were playing for was the Pat Summitt Sandpaper Charmin SOS crown? Is it going to be some team like Wake Forest or Prairie View dancing off with the top mark this year?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
And the inability to win against quality opponents on the road.

We haven't yet seen the Regional locations. They might not need to beat a quality opponent on the road to get to Nashville.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
We haven't yet seen the Regional locations. They might not need to beat a quality opponent on the road to get to Nashville.
True.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
There are some quality opponents on the schedule. Stanford, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and LSU. Stanford, LSU, and A&M are all on the road.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There are some quality opponents on the schedule. Stanford, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Texas A&M, and LSU. Stanford, LSU, and A&M are all on the road.
That will tell us a lot about the team.

Reaction Score

The first 2 rounds may well be at TBA if the NCAA goes with letting the top 16 host but the regionals cannot be at a team's home court and seeing how the FF is in Nashville I seriously doubt anywhere in Tenn will be a regional site.
The 2 seeds are sited geographically by seed so the 5-8 seed positions will be huge. Of Tenn, Ken, Louis, ND, Duke, UNC & MD, several are destined to be 2 seeds and the miles to each regional site from campus will determine where they go.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
The UTenn schedule is obviously wrapped around the big SEC lineup, which beside the Vols had Kentucky, Texas A&M, Georgia, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt in the Sagarin top 25 last year, so that will be a challenge. But the OOC starts with a D2 school and then runs through 12 known opponents (another is second game tourney unknown) that had an average ranking of 122 in the Sags list. Ouch! After #3 ND and #5 Stanford and #19 UNC, there is not one team that finished in the top 50, and four are above the 225 mark, including #343 of 345 Lipscomb.

It may end up being a decent enough schedule if the SEC teams come out strong, but it's not what Pat used to put together or the toughness dogma that the Summitt used to preach years ago.

Reaction Score
When you go up against the best gals during the season and especially deep in the tournament, it is as much about grit as much as it is about talent..... UT didn't show any of that last year..... going the next step, they need to find a leader who makes sure every single woman on the team is accountable..... people who are guilty of slipping into early foul trouble, or playing one on one hoops 2 much must be called on the carpet for that right away..... I saw several LV games last year, and came away unimpressed, aside from one game vs. Kentucky, when they annihilated the Wildcats...... Time will tell

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
They may well lose in Nashville to Vandy and if so they will not return to Nashville in April.

Vandy and Kentucky always gives us fits. Although I think this year Kentucky will be particularly stronger this season since they added Harper. She is a beast on the defensive side and will thrive in their press defense. One thing about Kentucky though is their inability to play any kind of consistent half court offense. Vandy on the other hand should have good guard play, but will struggle down low in the post. South Carolina will be tough to beat this year as well. Dawn always puts a good team out on the court.

Tennessee has a lot to prove and it might be a little premature for UT fans like myself to think Russell is our automatic ticket to the final four, and she may not be the second coming of Parker or Griner, but she def at least GIVES us a legitimate shot our first final four in several years, similar to freshman Maya Moore helping UCONN erase their final four drought they had for several straight seasons. So it's not just Tennessee who has struggled to get back to the final four, even mighty UCONN has had their struggles as well. When UCONN struggled, and I use that term lightly since they still had solid seasons, I knew that Geno would bring them back to elite status, and I'm sure Holly will do that with Tennessee. Mercedes Russell is a great start...

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
I love boxers but Goldens own my heart! I'll raise ya a golden, I got 3 and a 15 year old Jack Russell Terror who thinks he is still a puppy.

I have a particular soft spot for Golden's, and just that breed in general, as they seem to be the smartest and most loyal of any dog you can have. The bad thing about boxers though is that they get cancer way to often. I've already had to have surgery to remove two lumps on my male and four surgeries for my female. Wow, a 15 year old Jack Russell!! That's quite an accomplishment for a dog, even for a smaller breed..

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
The UTenn schedule is obviously wrapped around the big SEC lineup, which beside the Vols had Kentucky, Texas A&M, Georgia, South Carolina, and Vanderbilt in the Sagarin top 25 last year, so that will be a challenge. But the OOC starts with a D2 school and then runs through 12 known opponents (another is second game tourney unknown) that had an average ranking of 122 in the Sags list. Ouch! After #3 ND and #5 Stanford and #19 UNC, there is not one team that finished in the top 50, and four are above the 225 mark, including #343 of 345 Lipscomb.

It may end up being a decent enough schedule if the SEC teams come out strong, but it's not what Pat used to put together or the toughness dogma that the Summitt used to preach years ago.

I'll have to double check your arguments there about what our opponents SAG is because those first 12 games include MTSU, UNC, G Tech, Virginia, Texas, Stanford, and LSU and I'm having a hard time thinking that will average out to a 122, but for now I'll take your word for it. Our schedule doesn't start with a D2, it starts with MTSU, and unless I missed something MTSU isn't D2:eek:, and actually was in the NCAA tournament this past season. Maybe not as tough as UCONN's OOC schedule, but it's a solid schedule to complement our SEC one..

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
A nice quote from Burdick about Carter. "She's a great player and she just hustles like no other," Burdick said. "She's one of the hardest workers on the team, and she's going to get those hustle points and make those plays on offense because she's not afraid to dive out on the floor or take a charge or do the grit work.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Tennessee has a lot to prove and it might be a little premature for UT fans like myself to think Russell is our automatic ticket to the final four, and she may not be the second coming of Parker or Griner, but she def at least GIVES us a legitimate shot our first final four in several years, similar to freshman Maya Moore helping UCONN erase their final four drought they had for several straight seasons. So it's not just Tennessee who has struggled to get back to the final four, even mighty UCONN has had their struggles as well. When UCONN struggled, and I use that term lightly since they still had solid seasons, I knew that Geno would bring them back to elite status, and I'm sure Holly will do that with Tennessee. Mercedes Russell is a great start...

You have a lot of confidence in Warlick. It remains to be seen if she can bring them back to elite status. I'm certainly not as sure about it as you are.

I would disagree on a few points. Uconn did not have several years between final four appearances before Moore arrived. It was three seasons. Big difference compared to the last five seasons of no FF. and one of those was a first round loss. I don't remember any talk of Uconn not being elite.

Moore had much better credentials compared to Russell. I really believe that Tennessee fans will be disappointed if they expect Russell to have the same impact that Moore had for Uconn her freshman season.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
A nice quote from Burdick about Carter. "She's a great player and she just hustles like no other," Burdick said. "She's one of the hardest workers on the team, and she's going to get those hustle points and make those plays on offense because she's not afraid to dive out on the floor or take a charge or do the grit work.
Really? She hustles like no other?

Finally, a Tennessee player that will take a charge. How refreshing.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
You have a lot of confidence in Warlick. It remains to be seen if she can bring them back to elite status. I'm certainly not as sure about it as you are.

I would disagree on a few points. Uconn did not have several years between final four appearances before Moore arrived. It was three seasons. Big difference compared to the last five seasons of no FF. and one of those was a first round loss. I don't remember any talk of Uconn not being elite.

Moore had much better credentials compared to Russell. I really believe that Tennessee fans will be disappointed if they expect Russell to have the same impact that Moore had for Uconn her freshman season.

To be honest with you, I will be a little disappointed if we fall short of the final four this year. We are more talented and finally have depth and a very talented true post player that seems to be healthy, which we haven't had in a long time. We won't have Griner and Baylor, or ND and Diggins to deal with either. Yes, Moore had more accolades and achievements and there was a ton of excitement about her coming out of high school, but Russell's impact may not be what she accomplishes herself, but what she will open up for our other players, simply because of her size and skill set.

Question though to you and your fellow UCONN fans, since after all this IS a UCONN board. Obviously Faris graduated and clearly has been one of UCONN's best defensive player in years, not to mention the fact she could hit clutch 3's. She literally would come in and provide a defensive spark that I haven't seen from one player in quite a while. Who fill's her shoes? My own guess would be Bria Hartley. She performed very well for the USA team this year.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
To be honest with you, I will be a little disappointed if we fall short of the final four this year. We are more talented and finally have depth and a very talented true post player that seems to be healthy, which we haven't had in a long time. We won't have Griner and Baylor, or ND and Diggins to deal with either. Yes, Moore had more accolades and achievements and there was a ton of excitement about her coming out of high school, but Russell's impact may not be what she accomplishes herself, but what she will open up for our other players, simply because of her size and skill set.

Question though to you and your fellow UCONN fans, since after all this IS a UCONN board. Obviously Faris graduated and clearly has been one of UCONN's best defensive player in years, not to mention the fact she could hit clutch 3's. She literally would come in and provide a defensive spark that I haven't seen from one player in quite a while. Who fill's her shoes? My own guess would be Bria Hartley. She performed very well for the USA team this year.
Good question. But I think it doesn't belong in this thread. It's long enough already...lol.

You can start a new one if you'd like.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score

Excited about having her back for sure!! Her and Jordan should help us tremendously on our perimeter D this year, something we sorely lacked last year

Reaction Score
Yes, again, about the Carter mention related to hustle..... and heart..... and grit..... etc.... Championships are won through toughness as well as talent.

I am reminded of Herb Brooks, the 1980 USA hockey coach, saying to his players...."You guys don't have enough talent to win on talent alone!!"

Pretty good.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Yes, again, about the Carter mention related to hustle..... and heart..... and grit..... etc.... Championships are won through toughness as well as talent.

I am reminded of Herb Brooks, the 1980 USA hockey coach, saying to his players...."You guys don't have enough talent to win on talent alone!!"

Pretty good.
I guess when you watch a team where that is commonplace, it's interesting when a big deal is made about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom