Kofi having second thoughts? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kofi having second thoughts?

C

Chief00

Illinois - you got competition now!
078BDF17-DD24-4C79-8738-6EAC4C9536B4.jpeg

Reaction Score
Hearing from Chief’s NY sources that Kofi is having second thoughts. Don’t know magnitude of regrets yet but wishes he took more time. We will see how this plays out.
UConn, I assume would welcome him (back) with open arms.
It's possible. Its kind of like when you meet a girl and the sparks are flying and youre all excited about her in the moment and you think "this is the one" but a few weeks later you realize its just a fling and you don't want a commitment. It happens. He problably got caught up in the moment and is now having second thoughts. Hopefully he changes his mind and comes here. If he don't. He don't.

Reaction Score
Hasn’t signed yet, right? So I’m assuming a decommit is a bit easier than if he had

It's not a bit easier -- there is absolutely nothing in terms of laws or rules that prevents him from saying "never mind." He does, of course, have to determine whether he feels bound because he gave his word to someone on something, as we all do every day.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's not a bit easier -- there is absolutely nothing in terms of laws or rules that prevents him from saying "never mind." He does, of course, have to determine whether he feels bound because he gave his word to someone on something, as we all do every day.
Verbals have become a "momentary indicator of intent." I don't think there is much stigma associated with changing one's mind anymore.

Like you apparently, I am old to enough to remember 'your word being, your bond.' It still is for many of us, but I feel like that is a generational thing and disregarded by many (most) people these days.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Verbals have become a "momentary indicator of intent." I don't think there is much stigma associated with changing one's mind anymore.

Like you apparently, I am old to enough to remember 'your word being, your bond.' It still is for many of us, but I feel like that is a generational thing and disregarded by many (most) people these days.

I think every player needs to decide this for themselves, but if it was me, I'd concern myself with the extent to which the school I gave my word to was harmed by relying upon it. @businesslawyer would perhaps appreciate the application of "detrimental reliance" to this context, but I think it fits. Kofi could change his mind now and Illinois isn't any worse off for it. Once the recruiting period is nearly closed, they certainly could be.

CL82

Reaction Score
Generational?

The biggest disregarder of that is 72 years old.
Not in my experience. But Auggy you are old enough to remember when keeping your word was a thing right?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Not in my experience. But Auggy you are old enough to remember when keeping your word was a thing right?

Yup.

Absolutely.

Reaction Score
Like most things, it was a "thing" until one side started taking advantage of people holding to their word. Kids have been recruited over and ghosted by coaches for as long as recruiting has been a thing. Kids just realized that if there's a chance they might get screwed even if they do everything right, they might as well play the game too.

CL82

Reaction Score
Like most things, it was a "thing" until one side started taking advantage of people holding to their word. Kids have been recruited over and ghosted by coaches for as long as recruiting has been a thing. Kids just realized that if there's a chance they might get screwed even if they do everything right, they might as well play the game too.
I'm talking more broadly than this application JMick. I have no problem with kids changing their minds. A verbal is a verbal, just a statement of intent. I think @HuskyHawk has this right. It's a little more on an issue when they change at the last second, but still, that's their choice.

Socially though. It used to be much more of big deal. Handshake deals were the norm. Less so now.

Reaction Score
I'm talking more broadly than this application JMick. I have no problem with kids changing their minds. A verbal is a verbal, just a statement of intent. I think @HuskyHawk has this right. It's a little more on an issue when they change at the last second, but still, that's their choice.

Socially though. It used to be much more of big deal. Handshake deals were the norm. Less so now.
Pensions used to be a thing, too. And companies didn't used to just layoff people to make their quarterly numbers. Bad behavior begets bad behavior.

Reaction Score

If kid was swayed by a "handler" I have no problem with a recruit changing thier mind. Unless they change thier mind to leave UConn and they are very good.

CL82

Reaction Score
Pensions used to be a thing, too. And companies didn't used to just layoff people to make their quarterly numbers. Bad behavior begets bad behavior.
Fully agree. It is a repercussion, amplification kind of thing. One person. institution doesn't keep their word, so the "victim" feels empowered to do the same. Once it happens enough, there is no (or less) social repercussion in breaking your word.

I'm thinking on a much more micro level. Here's a sports example. Remember when committing to a team (especially at a level higher than rec) meant that you'd agree to make games and practices? Now, it is often unless something else comes up, unless the slot is really coveted. It's a little thing, but it teaches a different life lesson than the way things used to be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom