Kofi having second thoughts? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Kofi having second thoughts?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing against Pikiell who's a great coach, but if it's between playing for a former UConn bench player...

Not a good take. Pikell was a starter on a UConn team went to the Sweet Sixteen, blowing out that Shaq-led LSU squad in the first round.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lately I have been a bit down at work. My confidence has taken a hit and the enthusiasm has been missing. Not making this up. Not lying. It's true. I kid people by saying it's mid-winter blues but I know it's deeper than that, tho.

Well, this past Wednesday the boss man waved me to his office. Didn't even say anything, just made a motion.

Boss: "What's going on. I'm getting a bit frustrated. What the hell have you been doing?"

Dove: [closes eyes. takes a leap of faith] 'Just chiefin'. Things will be okay."

Boss: [beaming] "Excellent. I was getting worried. I've always liked you."

I walked out of his office thinking "Chiefin'?!?". Why didn't I think of this before?
I actually wonder why the BY hasn't caused more job loss. The Hurley thread alone should have caused enough unemployment to cause an uptick in the national figures.

CL82

Reaction Score
Got it - Chief must live up to elevated standards.
At work this week I was pulled into a project due to my “expertise” - which kind of shocked Chief because I did not consider myself an expert in this complicated topic. Guess what? Chief has to become a quick study expert now.
Ha ha been there.

CL82

Reaction Score
You should know by now winky faces are not always reliable.
tin-foil-hat.jpg

Conspiracy Kitty says: Or are they? It ain't over until the LOI is signed.
#planschange
#recruitingisfluid

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not a good take. Pikell was a starter on a UConn team went to the Sweet Sixteen, blowing out that Shaq-led LSU squad in the first round.
He may have stared one game because Smitty or Microwave were hurt, but he rode the bench for the vast majority of his career at UConn. I liked him too, but he was no all star. Averaged 2.9 ppg as a senior and 0.9 ppg as a junior. Our main players back in those days were Smitty, Microwave, Burrell, Tate, Sellers, Nadav, Lyman, Murray Williams, Toranio Walker was a frosh or Sophomore IIRC.

Reaction Score
He may have stared one game because Smitty or Microwave were hurt, but he rode the bench for the vast majority of his career at UConn. I liked him too, but he was no all star. Averaged 2.9 ppg as a senior and 0.9 ppg as a junior. Our main players back in those days were Smitty, Microwave, Burrell, Tate, Sellers, Nadav, Lyman, Murray Williams, Toranio Walker was a frosh or Sophomore IIRC.
Pikiell was a damn good player prior to his shoulder injury. I remember him scoring 20 plus as a freshman against decent competition in one game and he averaged 8.2 points as a freshman. Thats neither here nor there though in terms of his ability to coach, which is decent. He was a Captain for 2 seasons, so Calhoun thought highly of him.

Reaction Score
No, Pikell didn't start when he was hurt. And why do you think they called Gwynn "the Microwave"? Because he heated up quickly when he came off the bench.

Was a starter as a sophomore. Which was the entire point of this dicussion. He became a bench player because of his chronic shoulder problems. Which is one reason I will always be wary of Gilbert's.
I like him too, but he was never the same after the shoulder injury. Even as soph he averaged 2.5 ppg. Are you saying he started the whole season over Phil Gamble and Tate???

Reaction Score
The good guys gave Kofi their best shot, new dynamic coach & staff, great recruiting class already in place, available playing time if he's good enough, etc. He was unimpressed for whatever reason(s). I would continue our efforts with other bigs and hopefully we will receive a commitment from someone who wants to attend UConn. If we have already secured a commitment from a big and Kofi knocks on the door I would still be skeptical about letting him in, maybe the other big walks, Kofi again has a change of mind, we end up with nada. Fool me once shame on you, etc.

Reaction Score
He may have stared one game because Smitty or Microwave were hurt, but he rode the bench for the vast majority of his career at UConn. I liked him too, but he was no all star. Averaged 2.9 ppg as a senior and 0.9 ppg as a junior. Our main players back in those days were Smitty, Microwave, Burrell, Tate, Sellers, Nadav, Lyman, Murray Williams, Toranio Walker was a frosh or Sophomore IIRC
[/QUOT'He was an incredible player and would have started if it weren't for injuries. Pikell had more talent coming out of HS than half the guys you listed. Phil Gamble and Tate would not have played before him. Injuries happen unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Pikiell was a damn good player prior to his shoulder injury. I remember him scoring 20 plus as a freshman against decent competition in one game and he averaged 8.2 points as a freshman. Thats neither here nor there though in terms of his ability to coach, which is decent. He was a Captain for 2 seasons, so Calhoun thought highly of him.
Yes, he was true blue UConn even when cheering from the bench, and very knowledgeable, that's why JC made him an assistant coach. I watched almost every game that year and don't recall him starting very many games. The shoulder injury was a career setback for him as a player.

Reaction Score
Danzz, I'm not arguing that point at all, I couldn't agree more with what you are saying.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So he started 75% of his games as a freshman until he was hampered by injuries the rest of his career. Sounds like a starter to me.

But if you look closer, there are blanks, not zeroes in the GS column for his soph and senior years. That means no data, not no starts. I'll bet an IPA he started games after his freshman year.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom