Kofi Commits to Illinois | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Kofi Commits to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
THANK THE FOOTBALL SUPPORTERS! WE WILL NOT RISE AGAIN IN THIS CONFERENCE!

Good point if the AAC vs B1G was a consideration for Kofi then the conference once again causes us to miss. More and More reason to head back to the Big East and either go independent in Football or drop down a level or better yet kill the program.

Reaction Score
Didn't say it would. I hate being in this conference, but to act like we cant recruit well while we're here is dumb.

At some point people here will mention the unmentionable.

The one thing that will make all these inconsistencies look consistent is that UConn doesn't pay now.

When the list of bad things Ollie did came out, paying money to recruits was not one of them. When rumors about Ollie's inner circle came from former UConn players, the word was that Ollie felt as though he was recruiting with one arm tied behind his back (the implication of course was that he wanted to offer money).

When you see payments being made at so many schools, including the ones we're in direct competition with, you might guess that it happens a lot more than you think.

Paying and not paying for players would explain a lot.

Go back a little bit and think of the kids who were scouted by the last staff but in the final seconds didn't come here. How would UConn have looked with Jesse Govan, Hamidou Diallo, James Akinjo, Montez Mathis (not saying RU paid), Tyus Battle, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The number 1 recruit signed on to play in the AAC next year. Just the hard facts!

Different scenario hes from Memphis and played for Penny prior. If Penny couldn't close him then he shouldn't be coaching at Memphis, hence the short contract for a new coach.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
At some point people here will mention the unmentionable.

The one thing that will make all these consistencies look consistent is that UConn doesn't pay now.

When the list of bad things Ollie did came out, paying money to recruits was not one of them. When rumors about Ollie's inner circle came from former UConn players, the word was that Ollie felt as though he was recruiting with one arm tied behind his back (the implication of course was that he wanted to offer money).

When you see payments being made at so many schools, including the ones we're in direct competition with, you might guess that it happens a lot more than you think.

Paying and not paying for players would explain a lot.
Yes, but Ray Allen called KO once while a recruit was visiting.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's kind of funny some of the same people saying he was paid (sounds more like sour grapes) hope we can snap him up if his coach is fired.

I don't buy into the "he was bought" stuff, and it does make our fans look foolish. But why would anyone thinking he was paid want to bring him to UConn. He'd have already shown a willingness to jeopardize a program for personal gain.

I don't get it.

TL;DR. I doubt he was paid. Some of y'all are morans.

Dunno Tom, after watching the FBI investigation unfold, I think that's one of the first things to look for in any unusual recruiting situation. Totally fair to raise the question. It would be foolish not to in today's landscape imo.

And the FBI inv info is really only a peek at a sliver of the underbelly of MCBB recruiting.

I remember when kids were committing to (or merely considering) places like LSU, and we raised a financial eyebrow. Some people were doing the whole, "c'mon just cause they didn't choose UCONN... yada yada". After the FBI inv, it turns out that LSU and others were involved.

All that said, it doesn't mean he actually took money. If he did, I don't want the kid. But I've no idea so I'd take him anyway.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good point if the AAC vs B1G was a consideration for Kofi then the conference once again causes us to miss. More and More reason to head back to the Big East and either go independent in Football or drop down a level or better yet kill the program.

It's way overblown. Does the conference stop Gonzaga from being a top team? It doesn't. What we have going on is a little bit of "show me". You say UConn is back to being UConn...show me. Dan needs to win games, win the league, go deep in March, and when he does, this league won't affect recruiting. UConn will be UConn again. We have a top 20 class coming in already without anybody else, and there will be somebody else.

Don't read to much into the decision of one HS kid. We got Kemba because our first target went elsewhere. I am not convinced that this won't be a blessing in disguise if we get Mitchell or Wahab.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah Carlton’s athleticm means he’d have to have swannigan type production to even sniff a first rounder. There’s no way he reaches Hilton level picks unless he becomes a much better athlete. Dropping some lbs ain’t gonna cut it.

None of that is particularly likely.

Carlton could get 50pts 20rbds per game and he ain't sniffing the League.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I don't think we can recruit at the level we use to in this league.

I use to be like you and believe in this conference. But every year I lose more and more hope. People will never give this league any respect.

I don't believe in the conference, but we can still recruit to it. This year is far, far from over. We can very well end up with a Top 10 class (with a Mitchell/Grad Transfer combo). A few years ago, Ollie landed a monster class recruiting-wise.

The conference is a definitive problem. But it's not completely insurmountable.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
NIce response! Thats the same effort we had to get into this predicament!
Were not losing recruits because of the coach or facilities , its because kids want to play in the big time and on the big stage. We are now a tweener. In between mid major and elite conference. Just the hard facts! Sorry you dont agree!

The Big East is a DII conference long-term. Anyone who wants us there now hates UConn basketball.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Because I'm sick and tired of losing out on big time recruits, seeing half empty arenas and having non competitive teams.

I believe in Hurley and will still support this program to the fullest. But it's killing me watching what has happened to the basketball program for a football program that has done d***k.

If you care about the basketball program, you wouldn't want to formally eliminate the university from consideration when the final P5 split happens.

Switching to the BIg East = destroying the basketball program.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Only because of his love for Penny
If Penny aint at Memphis he isn't going there
1 and done and who knows if he'll even stay to suit up?

Why does everyone keep saying this about guys? It rarely happens. And usually only because the NCAA doesn't let them.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score

Anyone who wants the football program killed hates UConn athletics and wants to see all sports -- basketball included -- fail.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

Nobody cares about the NBE. Only Villanova. Remove Jay Wright and that league is garbage too.

Reaction Score
It's way overblown. Does the conference stop Gonzaga from being a top team? It doesn't. What we have going on is a little bit of "show me". You say UConn is back to being UConn...show me. Dan needs to win games, win the league, go deep in March, and when he does, this league won't affect recruiting. UConn will be UConn again. We have a top 20 class coming in already without anybody else, and there will be somebody else.

Don't read to much into the decision of one HS kid. We got Kemba because our first target went elsewhere. I am not convinced that this won't be a blessing in disguise if we get Mitchell or Wahab.

Well stated agree fully on this (not giving JA more time with the ball LOL).

I am not the least bit concerned about Hurley and the staff losing this one recruit because they did everything possible to secure a high end recruit, this wasn't on their efforts at all. And they will be successful overall getting good players to come to UConn I am sure. Having said that we still need to have a competitive team on the court during this season and they need to find a way to stop these 2nd half crapselves and get back to playing better basketball. We all know they don't have a ton of talent especially in the front court but these last 3 games are unacceptable no matter who's coaching or who we're playing. This pattern needs to end and while I also know not all of this is on them, they need to make the changes necessary to get the buy in from the players to play harder, smarter in the last 20. Coaching is coaching, time to figure the guys out and win a couple. Won't start with Cincy not a good match up but would love to see a competitive team out there no matter what the score. I'm not at all opposed to those who think besides the obvious Antigua references, that our play the last 3 games allows for even more ammunition for the competition on a recruit. The league, the inability to win in a league as such it's something they can throw at a kid. When UConn won 5 of 7 or whatever it was last year they played harder and beat teams they were supposed to beat that's all we can ask even now. But if anyone thinks easy losses to USF and UCF are much different than the couple blowouts last year then they are mistaken, it's painful as a long time fan to not look forward to the next game. Time to get something out of this season with what we got.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nobody cares about the NBE. Only Villanova. Remove Jay Wright and that league is garbage too.
Except for all the publicity the G'Town-SJU game received this weekend. I don't remember any game ever in the AAC getting that much attention.

Reaction Score
This idea of "leading" in recruiting is ridiculous. As if the 18 year old kids are keeping active tallies of pro/con lists and somehow Illinois just just pulled ahead.

I wish I could like this 10 times.

To say a school leads in recruiting is like saying "heads" is leading while the coin is in the air.

If one school were really favored that strongly, he would have committed.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Except for all the publicity the G'Town-SJU game received this weekend. I don't remember any game ever in the AAC getting that much attention.
weird. I kinda remember that national championship game where the AAC team won, and at least 6 people and a goat or two were paying attention, but I could be wrong. my bad.

Reaction Score
weird. I kinda remember that national championship game where the AAC team won, and at least 6 people and a goat or two were paying attention, but I could be wrong. my bad.
You mean the championship we won 5 years ago

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Was that an AAC game or an NCAA game?

Reaction Score
....and he'll stay I Illinois for how long....1 year?, 2 at the most? As the old 60's song said.......there's too many fish in the sea. Another one will come along, and isn't a true 5 now no longer a big deal? Aren't most 5's really a big forward. No real true centers out there. Everyone wants to be a ball handling 3 point shooting Lebron/Durrant/Dirk/Greek Freak type players.
He is going to dominate in college as long as he stays though. Man among boys and he would have killed it here. I don't give a flyin' about his pro chances. I will again when the program is stabilized; but now it is what can you do for UConn now? He is a tough loss.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because I'm sick and tired of losing out on big time recruits, seeing half empty arenas and having non competitive teams.

I believe in Hurley and will still support this program to the fullest. But it's killing me watching what has happened to the basketball program for a football program that has done d***k.
I know basketball is in its third season of significantly under performing. The half empty arenas are a clear sign that the fan base has lost interest. Now we are losing recruits to Illinois, of all places? It's time the administration realizes that and cuts our losses so that Men's basketball stops drawing off resources from football. We need to drop basketball now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom