Kofi Commits to Illinois | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Kofi Commits to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't say it would. I hate being in this conference, but to act like we cant recruit well while we're here is dumb.

I don't think we can recruit at the level we use to in this league.

I use to be like you and believe in this conference. But every year I lose more and more hope. People will never give this league any respect.

Reaction Score
I want Tre Mitchell or Qudus Wahab. I don't know a lot about Chol Marial but I would have no issue if he ends up at Storrs.

Disappointed UConn lost Kofi for sure and of course I start thinking about bag man but that's just me

Are we out on Chol Marial? I noticed he was nominated for a McDonalds All-American. He was in Cheshire for a while but moved to AZ. I thought he liked UConn.

7’2” with 7’11” wingspan #55 prospect.

Does the staff only want to stick with plans B, C, and D (grad)?

Reaction Score
I don't think we can recruit at the level we use to in this league.

I use to be like you and believe in this conference. But every year I lose more and more hope. People will never give this league any respect.

the pity party is over. why are you doing this to yourself?

Are we out on Chol Marial?

he might as well be nicknamed Mr. Glass, and that's not because he's good at rebounding.

Reaction Score
Its unacceptable that we cant even recruit decent enough players to win this Frikkin League from time to time. We should be able to land better recruits than USF and ECU for gods sake.

C

Chief00

are you saying that the staff may have told bouk and gaffney that kofi was not coming a month or two ago, so the announcement didn't catch them by surprise?
OR
are you saying that the staff may have told bouk and gaffney that kofi was coming a month or two ago, so that's why they signed LOIs? meaning now that kofi isn't coming there's cause for concern that bouk and gaffney might decommit?

sorry i just don't know how to interpret your comment because then you said that the staff pivoted to wahab/mitchell mere days ago, which isn't consistent with the staff knowing what kofi was gonna do two months ago
My post is consistent.

Reaction Score
You've got the causal relationship backwards.

The reason we don't run offense through our bigs is because our bigs have been terrible for nearly a decade. If we got one who could score, we'd run offense through them.
Huh? Shonn Miller says Hi! To a lesser extent we did run some offense for Deandre Daniels too. Though besides these two we have no other big who could post up and score consistently.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Huh? Shonn Miller says Hi! To a lesser extent we did run some offense for Deandre Daniels too. Though besides these two we have no other big who could post up and score consistently.
Shonn Miller did not make himself available enough on the offensive end. He was a great addition to the team but he was not a natural scorer as a big. The last "big" UConn had who worked for the ball and had some scoring skills was Jeff Adrien. I am not including AD because he was here for a cameo appearance.

Reaction Score
the pity party is over. why are you doing this to yourself?
Because I'm sick and tired of losing out on big time recruits, seeing half empty arenas and having non competitive teams.

I believe in Hurley and will still support this program to the fullest. But it's killing me watching what has happened to the basketball program for a football program that has done d***k.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Who is an Ollie guy? Before you make accusations you should check people’s post history.
You asking him to check before he flaps his lips????
you are far from a KO man but I wouldn't pen you as a hater like some others

Reaction Score
I believe in Hurley and will still support this program to the fullest. But it's killing me watching what has happened to the basketball program for a football program that has done d***k.

i don't think anyone can disagree with that if they're being honest with themselves. but if we get either wahab or mitchell that's a top 15 class in hurley's FIRST year. if that's the new normal we'll be regularly winning the AAC and a fixture in the ncaa tourney. but to pine over the program that won 4 chips in 20 years is unreasonable. we were the only ones to do that and only 2-3 programs are capable of it going forwards. i'll be ecstatic with 1 chip in the next 20. that's more than the average college bball fan can even dream of.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I wonder how Antwan January feels about being recruited over this hard. We offered during the last live period....

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The number 1 recruit signed on to play in the AAC next year. Just the hard facts!
Only because of his love for Penny
If Penny aint at Memphis he isn't going there
1 and done and who knows if he'll even stay to suit up?

Reaction Score
Are we out on Chol Marial? I noticed he was nominated for a McDonalds All-American. He was in Cheshire for a while but moved to AZ. I thought he liked UConn.

Just my opinion from seeing him a couple times and knowing some aau stuff about him...he isn't very impressive and is constantly injured and was always on a minutes restriction despite being a teenager. I like Mitchell much much better...But maybe Chol is gotten better in the last year.

Reaction Score
I wonder how Antwan January feels about being recruited over this hard. We offered during the last live period....

Possible decommit/ reopening recruitment? That wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

Reaction Score
It wasn’t just losing out on bigs for KO,think for a second what Enoch and Vance would mean to this team as imperfect as they are. Jalen and other would immediately benefit. These are desperate times, we need 2 big players a power forward and center. Hurley and staff need to focus on that almost exclusively.

Reaction Score

Few years ago was installing hoop/ basketball court at Cheshire academy bball coach house and got talking about Chol. Coach didn't say anything bad about him but wasn't really going out of his way to gush about him either. From the conversation i think he knew he'd be moving on from Cheshire Academy and felt he might have thought hewas better than he actually was

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
you are far from a KO man

Since the lead KO man has disavowed poly, I retract my statement. But now I totally don't understand his comment.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
consistency be damned i just wanna know if you implied there's cause for concern with bouk and gaff.

2019 recruiting class ranks:
UConn- 17
ECU- 69
USF- 81
how dare you post truth and reasonable optimism on the site of Perpetual Butthurt? did you get the memo that the daily firing squad assembles at high noon? if you can't make it then, the five o'clock hari kari class is available, but I hear it fills up quickly, so you better sign up fast...lol.

Reaction Score
I signed up here to fill you in with a few things that may explain why Kofi went to Illinois.

Just like UConn, I'll has been recruiting him for several years. However, Ayo, Illinois 5star pg knew him, and Griffin (son of the NBA player) is a friend who played with him. Also, Illinois backup center played on same team too. So, this was not your typical recruitment.

I only bring this up because we have gone through the same thing over and again. It sucks. But, sometimes finding out there was more to it than coaches alone or cheating makes it easier to swallow. Heck, half of Missouri's starting lineup were committed to Illinois until they hired cwonzo and he pulled in the class. Then, the players that were left graduated or transferred. That is literally why we are now 4-11.

Underwood isn't getting fired anytime soon. He rebooted the entire team this past year. Most of the relevant players are freshman or sophomores,. I believe 7/11 scholarship players are new this year, then we played a hell of a tough schedule. But, freshman mistakes are so prevalent.. though getting better.

UConn has always been a solid basketball school and I have no doubt your recent woes will be overcome. Hopefully, we will meet in the tourney in a few years. Our fan bases have been doing through a lot of the same crap. Good luck!

Let's be real Antigua gave him $$$ dollars to come to Illinois.

Solid basketball school? 4 Championships since 99 most in the last 20 years. We are a great basketball school. Illinois celebrates winning games we celebrate winning seasons.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
NIce response! Thats the same effort we had to get into this predicament!
Were not losing recruits because of the coach or facilities , its because kids want to play in the big time and on the big stage. We are now a tweener. In between mid major and elite conference. Just the hard facts! Sorry you dont agree!
You don't know too much about basic business (or sociological, educational or political trends).

So, the University of Connecticut should stay small time? Some of you are truly clueless on growth and development.

UMass is trying to catch up to us now. Beacon Hill must have people who are clueless.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
It wasn’t just losing out on bigs for KO,think for a second what Enoch and Vance would mean to this team as imperfect as they are. Jalen and other would immediately benefit. These are desperate times, we need 2 big players a power forward and center. Hurley and staff need to focus on that almost exclusively.
Vance Jackson wouldn’t help our team. He does nothing we need.
Its unacceptable that we cant even recruit decent enough players to win this Frikkin League from time to time. We should be able to land better recruits than USF and ECU for gods sake.
We still consistently land top 3 classes in our conference. But securing high ranked prospects is not the same as landing the best prospects. Our 2016 class for example was highly ranked but was riddled with question marks. Need to do a better job scouting. I like that the kids in our 2019 class are smart, coachable kids. I do not like the coachablity or overall IQ of our current squad. They fail to pick up on the most basic defensive concepts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom