Kofi Commits to Illinois | Page 15 | The Boneyard

Kofi Commits to Illinois

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Was that an AAC game or an NCAA game?
wait. now i'm totally confused. when is an AAC game not a NCAA game? daaayum, I must be reachin' new levels of stoopit in trying to reach my goal of Boxes of Rocks Wearing Socks. but i'm mos def on the goats paying attention to that game though, cuz I heard 'em, up close and personal like. somma dem animals kinda funny, too.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Dunno Tom, after watching the FBI investigation unfold, I think that's one of the first things to look for in any unusual recruiting situation. Totally fair to raise the question. It would be foolish not to in today's landscape imo.

And the FBI inv info is really only a peek at a sliver of the underbelly of MCBB recruiting.

I remember when kids were committing to (or merely considering) places like LSU, and we raised a financial eyebrow. Some people were doing the whole, "c'mon just cause they didn't choose UCONN... yada yada". After the FBI inv, it turns out that LSU and others were involved.

All that said, it doesn't mean he actually took money. If he did, I don't want the kid. But I've no idea so I'd take him anyway.

Well if that is the case, we are stupid for not cheating, or stupid for getting caught when we do.

Everyone else seems to do it better.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
wait. now i'm totally confused. when is an AAC game not a NCAA game?

Not really. But one hates to write a book every post and I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about an AAC regular season conference game vs. a Big East regular season conference game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He just went for 18pts, 10rebs, and 7assists against the then #6 team in the country. I think he would add some value here.
Didn't like his dad taking shots at the program but, this sure would help this season:
1546884242864.png

Reaction Score
I don't think we can recruit at the level we use to in this league.

I use to be like you and believe in this conference. But every year I lose more and more hope. People will never give this league any respect.
Especially if we aren’t the cream of the crop the last few years. Gonzaga dominates their conference.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Vance Jackson wouldn’t help our team. He does nothing we need.
We still consistently land top 3 classes in our conference. But securing high ranked prospects is not the same as landing the best prospects. Our 2016 class for example was highly ranked but was riddled with question marks. Need to do a better job scouting. I like that the kids in our 2019 class are smart, coachable kids. I do not like the coachablity or overall IQ of our current squad. They fail to pick up on the most basic defensive concepts.

Early nomination for worst take of the year

Reaction Score
wait. now i'm totally confused. when is an AAC game not a NCAA game? daaayum, I must be reachin' new levels of stoopit in trying to reach my goal of Boxes of Rocks Wearing Socks. but i'm mos def on the goats paying attention to that game though, cuz I heard 'em, up close and personal like. somma dem animals kinda funny, too.
You can't be serious?!??

Reaction Score
Shonn Miller did not make himself available enough on the offensive end. He was a great addition to the team but he was not a natural scorer as a big. The last "big" UConn had who worked for the ball and had some scoring skills was Jeff Adrien. I am not including AD because he was here for a cameo appearance.
I beg to disagree with this as he was very important in many games. Either way if this team had a Shonn Miller we would have an inside game.

Reaction Score
I was happy he left, but he would certainly help this team right now. His stats on this team would put him at:

2nd in 3P% (.418)
1st in FTA per game (4.3)
1st in RPG (7.1)
3rd in APG (2.4)
4th in PPG (12.2)
Also, was curious on Durham's stats after looking up Vance's.

Durham currently has 46 blocks in only 14 games played.

The only guys since KO took over that have had more than 46 blocks in a single season: DeAndre Daniels (once) and Amida Brimah (four times).

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

The only guys since KO took over that have had more than 46 blocks in a single season: DeAndre Daniels (once) and Amida Brimah (four times).

Always said Durham is the one that got away.

Vances solid year nonwithstanding. Durham would be playing 30 plus at the 5 on this team. Hes not a bruiser. But hes skilled.

Reaction Score

In only 15 minutes per game. 3.3 blocks in 15 mpg is unheard of, has to be the best rate in the country.

Reaction Score
It’s not sour grapes for me but i cud see if kofi would’ve chosen St. John’s or Pittsburgh- at least they are local and have a winning history. I could even somewhat understand that - and of course Kansas - if they were in the running - I just can’t seem to wrap my head around why he would choose Illinois over Uconn. the only slight thing is I guess that Illinois was always involved with him . when he left for a visit Last week I thought it was just a courtesy visit - something doesn’t add up here and again , not sour grapes just can’t understand why you’d want to go to Illinois - what do they possibly offer? It’s not a winning program, its in the middle of the Midwest , it’s a bottom feeder in the big 10, and most importantly- it’s not close to home. I’m trying to remember a time when we had such a good recruit that we thought was so locked in To us but ended up choosing a school beneath us. So weird.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

AAC game is two AAC teams play an NCAA game is commonly known as game between conferences...but what do I know according to someone here I'm a KO homer.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Its unacceptable that we cant even recruit decent enough players to win this Frikkin League from time to time. We should be able to land better recruits than USF and ECU for gods sake.

Not sure what you are talking about, but he has and will continue getting better players. Now if your talking about the Ollie years that is different as he lost as many it seems as he brought in.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Good point if the AAC vs B1G was a consideration for Kofi then the conference once again causes us to miss. More and More reason to head back to the Big East and either go independent in Football or drop down a level or better yet kill the program.

Another person who hasn't a clue outside of basketball. Football runs the world of NCAA, period. Leaving or dropping down, means UConn becomes insignificant in NCAA sports.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Well if that is the case, we are stupid for not cheating

We already burned the bridge unfortunately. And thankfully, it doesn't appear we have a death wish.

stupid for getting caught when we do.

We kinda blow at it tbh. I've semi-satirically complained in the past about it. Also, we're too successful on the court. And JC too much of a dick.

Everyone else seems to do it better.

This is 100% fact. See APR fiasco. Somehow UK manages damn near a 1,000 every year.

What people don't either get/accept in general, imo, is that most major sports programs have zero conscience. The only difference between Louisville, and say, UK, is that Louisville was way more sloppy. Not more 'immoral'.

I'm maybe a bit more cynical than most about it, because I went to school in the SEC, where they don't much keep it a secret.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was happy he left, but he would certainly help this team right now. His stats on this team would put him at:

2nd in 3P% (.418)
1st in FTA per game (4.3)
1st in RPG (7.1)
3rd in APG (2.4)
4th in PPG (12.2)

Ok, but who's minutes is he taking? He's not a 4. I am fairly sure that part of the reason he bolted was that Ollie was not planning on using him as an outside-in small forward, just as he didn't with Larrier (and we currently don't with Polley). The position Vance would insist on playing is currently being manned by Vital and Sid as backup.

It's a roster construction issue again. I am sure he would help, no question, but he wouldn't help nearly as much as somebody who could (and wanted to) play the 4-5.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Good point if the AAC vs B1G was a consideration for Kofi then the conference once again causes us to miss. More and More reason to head back to the Big East and either go independent in Football or drop down a level or better yet kill the program.

I'm sorry, this made me laugh. So Kofi is gonna go B1G because of AAC.....but not because of NBE?? Come on man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom