Kofi Announcing Tomorrow | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Kofi Announcing Tomorrow

C

Chief00

#recruitinglife

grind don't stop

So true - it’s not a McDonald’s Drive thru window - where the gratification is almost instant. Recruiting is building relationships, attending HS games/practices and summer camp. Additionally, it’s getting to know the families, AAU coaches and quite frankly “handlers” and I don’t mean that word negatively. If you think Illinois is the only school involved that has made a concerted effort to do that that, you don’t know Kwami or Danny. Sure, we are limited in some areas of the recruiting toolbox due to ethics and legalities that may not restrain others - so there’s always that caveat. But, as of now, we have zero hard evidence that has been part of Kofi’s recruitment by any school.
I know people are tired of hearing it but doing the recruiting grind is important. Quite frankly, we only need to look at the abscence of it in recent years to best understand why we are where we are today - with the exception of the brief but successful Blaze period.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
imo the only way hurley and co. opens themselves up to any second guessing is if carlton's our starting center next season. still plenty of time before that becomes the reality

But what's to second guess even if that's the case? We have an issue at center, Hurley clearly recognizes it and has recruited the position hard. To wit, we are finalists for three top center recruits. Hurley may or may not pull in a top center recruit but its not as if he's made some kind of bad decision.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
So true - it’s not a McDonald’s Drive thru window - where the gratification is almost instant. Recruiting is building relationships, attending HS games/practices and summer camp. Additionally, it’s getting to know the families, AAU coaches and quite frankly “handlers” and I don’t mean that word negatively. If you think Illinois is the only school involved that has made a concerted effort to do that that, you don’t know Kwami or Danny. Sure, we are limited in some areas of the recruiting toolbox due to ethics and legalities that may not restrain others - so there’s always that caveat. But, as of now, we have zero hard evidence that has been part of Kofi’s recruitment by any school.

And that's the biggest limitation UCONN has this moment; they've only had 7-8 months to build those relationships. Other schools have had years.

Illinois has Antigua, who's had a long relationship involving this particular recruit.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
But what's to second guess even if that's the case? We have an issue at center, Hurley clearly recognizes it and has recruited the position hard. To wit, we are finalists for three top center recruits. Hurley may or may not pull in a top center recruit but its not as if he's made some kind of bad decision.

Exactly. It means he missed. But he hasn't had his eggs all in one basket. He's identified a number of quality 5's which UCONN has a very realistic chance of landing. If he misses on all, it's not good. But it doesn't mean he 'can't'. Now, if the same pattern continues in the future...

Reaction Score

that was just my long winded way of saying i hope not to hear any criticism of hurley and co. if we miss on kofi today. but if we eventually miss on all 3 guys i'm sure people will be asking "well why weren't we going after 4 or 5 different centers?"

speaking of today...illinois board seems to think the announcement would come after their game versus Northwestern which is ending any second now.

Reaction Score
I know people are tired of hearing it but doing the recruiting grind is important. Quite frankly, we only need to look at the abscence of it in recent years to best understand why we are where we are today - with the exception of the brief but successful Blaze period.

excuse my ignorance. Who is Kwami?

Reaction Score
It's really hard to project Josh as being a good center by his senior season, given recent play. No disrespect to the kid. I hope I'm wrong.
i won't believe that till i see it. carlton started last year as a 3 star freshmen recruit so why couldn't tre (4 star) or wahab (borderline 4 star) start next year?

i'd take tyler olander over carlton right now. have we had a worse starting center in the last 20 years?

I hope we have a better center on the floor. But big men dont mature quickly. Most freshman bigs find it hard to stay out of foul trouble. Even if they start we need a center who can beat out Josh and play 30 minutes.

Last edited:

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I hope we have a better center on the floor. But big men dont mature quickly. Most freshman bigs find it hard to stay out of foul trouble. Even if they start we need a center who can bear out Josh and poay 30 minutes.

Mitchell probably could. I don't see Josh as ever being a high major starting caliber center. He's a decent 12-15 minute guy.

Reaction Score
The staff that you love to criticize has reeled in 3 top notch recruits since the dam break. They deserve much more recruiting respect than you are giving them. That doesn’t mean they get every targeted recruit as some casual fans seem to demand but their grind has already paid off and it will further.
One Caveat; It's possible Akok never sees the court as a Husky

Reaction Score
that was just my long winded way of saying i hope not to hear any criticism of hurley and co. if we miss on kofi today. but if we eventually miss on all 3 guys i'm sure people will be asking "well why weren't we going after 4 or 5 different centers?"

speaking of today...illinois board seems to think the announcement would come after their game versus Northwestern which is ending any second now.

Game over. Illinois loses to Northwestern. Start the clock!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
This is based on nothing but Boneyard chicken-little-ism. There was NBA talk floated about him, but that's just noise.

I would put the chance at 99% he's wearing a UCONN uniform.

Yeah, the only place I've seen this floated are here (from hyper-nervous UConn fans) and the 'Cuse board (sour grapes).

Reaction Score
If he’s actually announcing today, wouldn’t we have heard something by now?

Reaction Score
i won't believe that till i see it. carlton started last year as a 3 star freshmen recruit so why couldn't tre (4 star) or wahab (borderline 4 star) start next year?

i'd take tyler olander over carlton right now. have we had a worse starting center in the last 20 years?

We've had some great centers over the years. Emeka, Jake, Corny, Travis Knight, Cliff, Josh Boone, Thabeet, among others. I know I'm forgetting a couple.

Reaction Score
If he’s actually announcing today, wouldn’t we have heard something by now?
No. IL game just ended.

IL board is an oasis of calm. Confident. Not cocky. Soo midwestern low key. Champagne Urbana is not Chicago.

Reaction Score
He's pulled this stuff before. Seems like the jokester type that plays with the people who eat up all that social media stuff

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom