KO vs UConn | Page 7 | The Boneyard

KO vs UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Syracuse fan here. A few thoughts which I'll no doubt get hated on for... :D.

#1. I don't think almost any fans care about this outside of Connecticut. Coaches may be a different story, but I haven't hear any speaking out and you guys got Hurley so it doesn't seem to be hurting you guys that much.

#2. All you fans who are saying he got fired for committing NCAA violations and for being a terrible coach are actually making Ollie's point for him. Legally, if they fired him AT ALL for being a terrible coach, they owe him his money. That's not for cause. If we have a shred of self-honestly, we all know that if KO had won the NCAA tournament last year, he's not getting fired-- the real reason he was fired was because of peformance and the school likely couldn't afford to bring in another coach and pay Ollie so they chose not to pay Ollie. They did him dirty--at the very least by the unspoken standards for hiring/firing in high major basketball and probably also legally, even if it can't be proven.

#3. Ollie has definitely not helped his future job prospects by fighting back. IDK if it's because he's dumb or spiteful like some of you say, or because he feels wronged and wants to stand up for himself even though it hurts him.

tl;dr the school screwed KO, KO is screwing the school and himself. UCONN probably chose the best path for the program, even if kinda dirty and unethical.

Reaction Score
All this sturm and drang about KO would have a lot more credibility if:

1. People actually cared that he committed ethical violations.

2. People wouldn't be winking and laughing about these violations if KO had been a successful coach.

3. People weren't so selective about when they consider the NCAA to be credible when it comes to making and enforcing charges.

Just saying. It's wrong to use ethical charges to achieve pragmatic outcomes. I realize "doing the right thing" doesn't count for much against $10 million. Nevertheless...

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Sigh...

August under the terms of the contract, it terminates on the occurrence of certain events, including violation of NCAA rules. At that point in time Ollie was only owed "notice" money under the contract @$600k and change. That's it. I'm not sure how things work down in IT but I'm pretty sure up it the C-suite, paying out $10M to someone who has no legal claim to it is frowned upon.
Sigh. You’ll never get it. But that’s not shocking.

Lol @ “ c suite”. Jesus.

Reaction Score
Either he’s out of control or he’s truly been led down a rat hole by idiot lawyers that mangled his public persona at the expense of trying to go all or nothing.
Hmm, must the principle of mutual exclusivity absolutely apply in this instance?

Reaction Score
The lying to investigators is a charge not to be overlooked.
It's always the cover-up that bites you in the end. Some very powerful people are currently learning that.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oh good. This again.

Maybe if the Boneyard wrote Kevin a letter explaining how hurt they were he'd finally give up the loot.
I just finished reading the 4 pages that followed this. I'm quite frankly surprised that the matter hasn't been solved by the subsequent posts.

Reaction Score
KO has left such a stain on our program. He was given a winning blue blooded program with a winning culture created by Calhoun. He left us broken program and NCAA violations to boot. Now, alleging racial discrimination in his firing, come on. One can argue his piss poor performance in terms of creating a losing program was the real reason for his termination, rather than the pretext of NCAA violations, but to a ledge racial discrimination and to pursue that so vigorously is disgusting. I hate using strong language, but the man is a disgrace and has left such a stain on our program

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's always the cover-up that bites you in the end. Some very powerful people are currently learning that.

Careful, you're about to trigger Chief.

Reaction Score
Syracuse fan here. A few thoughts which I'll no doubt get hated on for... :D.

#1. I don't think almost any fans care about this outside of Connecticut. Coaches may be a different story, but I haven't hear any speaking out and you guys got Hurley so it doesn't seem to be hurting you guys that much.

#2. All you fans who are saying he got fired for committing NCAA violations and for being a terrible coach are actually making Ollie's point for him. Legally, if they fired him AT ALL for being a terrible coach, they owe him his money. That's not for cause. If we have a shred of self-honestly, we all know that if KO had won the NCAA tournament last year, he's not getting fired-- the real reason he was fired was because of peformance and the school likely couldn't afford to bring in another coach and pay Ollie so they chose not to pay Ollie. They did him dirty--at the very least by the unspoken standards for hiring/firing in high major basketball and probably also legally, even if it can't be proven.

#3. Ollie has definitely not helped his future job prospects by fighting back. IDK if it's because he's dumb or spiteful like some of you say, or because he feels wronged and wants to stand up for himself even though it hurts him.

tl;dr the school screwed KO, KO is screwing the school and himself. UCONN probably chose the best path for the program, even if kinda dirty and unethical.
You’re correct if he won a national championship last year, or at least had a better record he might not have been fired. But that’s irrelevant. the contract was clear that he could be terminated for cause if there were NCAA violations. And there were NCAA violations. These were the terms and they were written in a way that were broad and encompassed the violations however minor they may of been of the NCAA regulations.

There’s no requirement that one enforce or not endorse one’s rights under a contract if a particular term or provision is breached. So STOP. The school had every right to not call him out on the breach of contract if he was a winning coach, just as they had every right to call him out on a breach if he wasn’t winning. The point is he breached his contract and unless you’re able to prove the enforcement or non-enforcement of the breach was because of his race, good luck prevailing under pure contractual principles. That’s why he’s pursuing such a cause of action in alleging the school terminated him and treated him differently under the contract because of his race. He knows that’s BS as does his lawyers and that’s the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom