KO - Victim of discrimination and denied due process? | Page 12 | The Boneyard

KO - Victim of discrimination and denied due process?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If he loses, and if his lawyers are working on contingency, then he's only lost his pride and maybe a slight hit to future earnings through reputational loss.
Agree with all of it except slight hit to future earnings. He's killing his reputation right now. So the analysis is really whether the difference between anything UConn initially offered and what he'll make at the end of this process is worth the hit to his future earning power.

I've said elsewhere that $3M-$3.5M over four years, probably settles this thing back in March but part of that value was the avoidance of a public debate on the dismissal. I'm not sure that the value is still that high to UConn.

pj

Reaction Score
Agree with all of it except slight hit to future earnings. He's killing his reputation right now. So the analysis is really whether the difference between anything UConn initially offered and what he'll make at the end of this process is worth the hit to his future earning power.

I've said elsewhere that $3M-$3.5M over four years, probably settles this thing back in March but part of that value was the avoidance of a public debate on the dismissal. I'm not sure that the value is still that high to UConn.

The big question is if there's a fight, what comes out to hurt KO's reputation. I don't think contesting the just cause is that harmful to him if nothing new comes out, people will understand the financial motives. But if things come out in court that have been rumored on the Boneyard, KO's reputation could take a big hit. I hope he's forthright with his lawyers about what he did and exercises good judgment.

Reaction Score
I think Ollie’s future earnings do take a hit. If he had settled his chances for a good opportunity existed. He had won a national championship with a team most thought had no chance. And that was after exceeding expectations the prior year. His spiel to potential employers would be that he knows how to get it done and has learned from the under-achieving years. By contesting the dismissal he hurts himself in two ways. First, it places before the public any violations in which he may have been involved. Second, future employers may worry that he would do the same with them.

UConn’s situation is quite different. They hired the coach they wanted and as long as there is not another messy separation no coach will give it a second thought. The one place it has potential to hurt UConn is in recruiting with negative campaigning from other coaches. And although Hurley has no commits for next year the recruits appear to like what they are hearing/seeing.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I just got around to reading this with care. "Your contingent"? Hardly. For the most part, I remain resolute in advising settlement and wondering what or who has most impeded it.

From the looks of Likes alone, I find myself in surprised agreement with certain sustained Ollie detractors, including some who I used to have on Ignore. Similarly, I can recognize that some of my favorite posters have taken what seems like a more sympathetic stance toward the departed coach. Throughout, I believe that nearly the entirety of posters lack fundamental pieces of information that possibly could shift opinions one way or another. I count myself firmly in this group.

Throughout, I remain in the lookout for a certain type of pro-KO partisan who doesn't show clear evidence sustained over time of having the program or team's success as their clear focus. I regard such posters as this season's version of last post-season's negative recruiting trolls, people like Russ56 pursuing an agenda that doesn't align with my sense of a UConn fan.

I was delighted by the unexpected success of 2012-13, thrilled by the 2013-14 team coming together, disappointed by the follow-up year, more accepting of 2015-16, and a clear member of the late majority in recognizing that the past two years featured a lot of lousy basketball beyond the undeniable injury narrative.

Anything I write could be interpreted as a clue toward where I think the settlement number should be. For a variety of reasons and factors, I think anyone at or anywhere near either pole is being unrealistic . And yet, the still unconfirmed Arbitration path offers only all or nothing. I think there would be bad energy over the long haul for all parties if either of those outcomes is reached.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are Ollie and his lawyer claiming racism?
Sad that people post without reading and if it is in the BY it must be true(Like Rolling Stone?). Don't see race mentioned yet people equate discrimination with racism. The only place that has been mentioned is here.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This thread should be locked right now. It's interesting to see which side of the fence the mods are on?
Agreed.
At this point it's dimishing returns, and the next big related story - whether Arbitration is selected or not - is right around the corner based on a 15-day window after Herbst's decision to uphold Benedict's determination.

Reaction Score
Disagree. I think Ollie is still the head coach next year if there wasn't grounds for just cause dismissal.
CL, I’m as happy as anyone on this board that we were able to replace Ollie with Danny Hurley but you can’t honestly believe what you just wrote. We all know it was the horrible, apathetic and inept performance that got Ollie fired, not issues off the basketball court.

C

Chief00

Sad that people post without reading and if it is in the BY it must be true(Like Rolling Stone?). Don't see race mentioned yet people equate discrimination with racism. The only place that has been mentioned is here.

What other legal form of discrimination. would apply which differentiates how KO was treated vs. Calhoun and Geno. You may think it’s frivolous but even here when discussed posters want to lock the thread. Its something no one or institution wants to be accused of. It’s a negotiating ploy to get a better settlement when the facts in the case are not in KO’s favor. You use what you have.
In Chief’s opinion, the problem here is you have two entities that want to have a big payday in addition to KO. His private lawyer and ex wife. So whatever money someone throws out directionally divide it three ways. His alimony was based on making around $3 million per year. So he will have to likely modify if this goes against him. That could get ugly for him as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
What other legal form of discrimination. would apply which differentiates how KO was treated vs. Calhoun and Geno. You may think it’s frivolous but even here when discussed posters want to lock the thread. Its something no one or institution wants to be accused of. It’s a negotiating ploy to get a better settlement when the facts in the case are not in KO’s favor. You use what you have.
In Chief’s opinion, the problem here is you have two entities that want to have a big payday in addition to KO. His private lawyer and ex wife. So whatever money someone throws out directionally divide it three ways. His alimony was based on making around $3 million per year. So he will have to likely modify if this goes against him. That could get ugly for him as well.
There are many forms of discrimination. I troubles me when posters who appear to be white start making unfounded allegations. By violating his right to due process, He could be discriminated because of the Glenn Miller hearsay evidence, which could hurt him finding another job at the college level.

C

Chief00

There are many forms of discrimination. I troubles me when posters who appear to be white start making unfounded allegations. By violating his right to due process, He could be discriminated because of the Glenn Miller hearsay evidence, which could hurt him finding another job at the college level.

The legal forms of discrimination include protective categories of race/color, national ancestry, religion, age, gender, disability and veteran’s status.
Due process is entirely another issue or legal area. Hearsay, also is a different legal argument.
When you look at the protective categories, race/color is the only one that could be in play.

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The legal forms of discrimination include protective categories of race/color, national ancestry, religion, age, gender, disability and veteran’s status.
Due process is entirely another issue or legal area. Hearsay, also is a different legal argument.
When you look at the protective categories, race/color is the only one that could be in play.

Really, his poor performance renders that category out of play here. They had ample reason to fire him for poor performance, which is a valid reason for treating him differently, and invoking the for cause provision of the contract. But yes, because he is in a protected class, my assumption is that UConn would have been quite careful in building the case against him, including formal performance reviews.

CL82

Reaction Score
CL, I’m as happy as anyone on this board that we were able to replace Ollie with Danny Hurley but you can’t honestly believe what you just wrote. We all know it was the horrible, apathetic and inept performance that got Ollie fired, not issues off the basketball court.
I absolutely do. I think we were in for at least a year more and possibly two. The NCAA violations were the difference.

Reaction Score
I absolutely do. I think we were in for at least a year more and possibly two. The NCAA violations were the difference.

Awful performance is what got Ollie fired. The other stuff is the "cause" that justifies not to continue to pay him. There was no way based upon the last two years performance that he was on the sideline next season, even in the absence of any NCAA violations.

CL82

Reaction Score
Awful performance is what got Ollie fired. The other stuff is the "cause" that justifies not to continue to pay him. There was no way based upon the last two years performance that he was on the sideline next season, even in the absence of any NCAA violations.
Disagree. Without the violations the $10M payout probably gets him a year. Possibly, with some assistant changes.

Reaction Score
Disagree. Without the violations the $10M payout probably gets him a year. Possibly, with some assistant changes.

You cant posiibly be serious. Given how bad things were last year, there was no way anyone in a position of authority was going to allow that to continue.

CL82

Reaction Score
You cant posiibly be serious. Given how bad things were last year, there was no way anyone in a position of authority was going to allow that to continue.
Completely serious. That was the consensus of the board as well until he was actually fired.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I don't think they had the stomach to pay the $10m. I think they'd let him have more time if not for the ability to fire "for cause". It's one of the reasons I am so perplexed by the "just pay him" people. Paying him likely means laying off other people, people who are doing their jobs properly. Or making other cuts, maybe dropping a team from scholarship status.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He was hired as an interim coach.

Yes Calhoun strong armed him in.

Yes there was really no choice to but to go with him that 1st year.

But he was still an interim coach. He had to prove himself for a contract. And won 20 games in the big east with a team not tournament eligible and then won a NC the next season.

Preferential treatment got his foot in the door. But he EARNED the permanent position and contracts.
Yes he did earn the contract and position. The real question which will soon be answered is did he violate the specific language which he agreed to which could be grounds for firing with cause.

pj

Reaction Score
We'll never know what UConn would have done in counterfactual situations, but the juxtaposition of having cause, the poor performance, and Hurley's availability (waiting a year would have lost him forever to Pitt) made it a no-brainer.

C

Chief00

Completely serious. That was the consensus of the board as well until he was actually fired.

True, when I broke the news, many doubted me. What was a surprise to UConn though is how KO would not settle within the reasonable settlement parameters despite justified cause. There is some disconnect between KO and his lawyers is my guess.

C

Chief00

Really, his poor performance renders that category out of play here. They had ample reason to fire him for poor performance, which is a valid reason for treating him differently, and invoking the for cause provision of the contract. But yes, because he is in a protected class, my assumption is that UConn would have been quite careful in building the case against him, including formal performance reviews.

I don’t disagree in terms of results but when they throw the word discrimination out there - what Chief is saying is that’s the only category that they could even try to use.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom